thanks

Andrew K.Menendez

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew K.Menendez
Have any of you flown the glass yet? I've seen and read a lot about the Avidyne, G1000, and Chelton systems. With just this information, I've been thinking that I'd prefer the G1000 (at least when they get the integrated AP operational).

I'm interested in your opinions, especially those of you with experience with glass.

G1000 w/GFC700 AP is love
G1000 w/GFC700 AP is life

I have about 50 hours in a CTLS with Dynon panels left and right (PFD, MFD) but that was 2010-11. I just started flying a Cirrus SR20 Perspective. For my money, I could care less. I'm sure it's great in IMC and it's more fun to watch a screen than a six pack but in VFR, just a distraction. Just one pilot's opinion.

I’m one of those types who like a mix. I love a good moving map GPS but I prefer round gauges for all of my primary instruments.

Absolutely. A nice sized moving map In the center stack is great. And there's nothing wrong with a nav-coupled autopilot. But again, for IFR, I have no problem with folks that appreciate all the help that modern avionics give you.

Chelton all the way, the others are just temporary fashions.

I finally got trained on the G1000 during the past year (GFC700 version). I love the capabilities, especially for IFR, but I do have to remind myself to keep the outside world in my scan. In addition, I fly other types of equipment as well, and I find that the G1000 skills get rusty if not refreshed regularly. For example, during my most recent practice approach with one, I forgot that I needed to press the VNV button in order to get vertical guidance during the early phases of the approach.

(at least when they get the integrated AP operational).

Many G1000 aircraft have the integrated autopilot, and have for a number of years. All depends on which airframe you're discussing.

Many G1000 aircraft have the integrated autopilot, and have for a number of years. All depends on which airframe you're discussing.
For Cessnas and Diamonds, I think that if it has the GFC700 integrated autopilot then it has WAAS. If it is paired with a KAP140 then it is non-WAAS. Not sure about other makes, though.

I’m one of those types who like a mix. I love a good moving map GPS but I prefer round gauges for all of my primary instruments.
Wait until your AI and DG need replacement and you start looking at G5's. :)

Reactions: Ted
For Cessnas and Diamonds, I think that if it has the GFC700 integrated autopilot then it has WAAS. If it is paired with a KAP140 then it is non-WAAS. Not sure about other makes, though.

That was all "a long time ago", well before 2018. :)

Have any of you flown the glass yet? I've seen and read a lot about the Avidyne, G1000, and Chelton systems. With just this information, I've been thinking that I'd prefer the G1000 (at least when they get the integrated AP operational).

I'm interested in your opinions, especially those of you with experience with glass.

Sounds like you've been reading a lot of really old articles. Avidyne was used mostly on Cirrus planes around 2003-04, but then they switched to "Perspective" which is their own version of the G1000. Most everyone else started with the G1000 in 2004. Chelton never really took off.

Also, the G1000 with the integrated GFC 700 autopilot has been installed on most new airplanes since 2007, so it's been operational for quite some time! They're now on the second generation, the G1000 NXi which has faster processing and adds a map into the HSI on the PFD.

Garmin also certified a retrofit glass package called the G500/G600. No autopilot, but it's a retrofit so many of those planes already had autopilots.

Last year, they updated the G500/G600 to the G500 TXi/G600 TXi which has a more flexible display configuration.

They also now have GFC 500 and GFC 600 retrofit autopilots.

Aspen Avionics was their main competition, and the Aspen got popular mainly because you could install a PFD and an MFD separately, making it easier to jump in one foot at a time. Garmin has "returned fire" with the G5, a unit that can act as an AI or an HSI.

Dynon Avionics has also jumped into the fray, certifying their formerly-experimental Skyview HDX system for retrofit.

No matter how you slice it, flying with glass is nice. It's easier for your brain to process, and gives you a lot more information than the older "steam gauges". Since being a pilot is all about making decisions, having more and better information to make those decisions with is excellent.

I've been flying behind glass panels for three years. The first flight was a bit weird but it wasn't a difficult transition.
2015-12-03-IMG_20151203_144630140.jpg

Just watched the King IFR checkride prep. Martha made that G1000 Skyhawk look like a piece of cake to fly and operate.

Flew the g1000,with the kap 140, was nice ,out of my budget.

Flew the g1000,with the kap 140, was nice ,out of my budget.
Dual G5's with GFC500 and GTN750 is more or less a mini-G1000/GFC700. Notable absences are:
  • Synthetic vision
  • Bearing pointers
  • Insets
  • TAS/OAT/wind vector
  • Less info on the scoreboard

I have owned a G1000 with KAP140 (primary student, solo, check ride for a total of 300 hours) , G1000 with GFC700 (Instrument training, check ride plus 850ish hours all over the country) and an Avidyne EX5000 with S-Tec55x (450ish hours).

They all rock. The GFC is by far the best autopilot of the three...no comparison.

As far as systems go, the Avidyne is a step back from any version of the G1000 but is a very capable system.

I have flow behind an Aspen. Too small for me.

I flew behind an Aspen for an hour or so last week. I found it cluttered and hard to find what I needed; probably another few hours and it wouldn't be an issue, I was sort of surprised that I didn't care for it as I generally like whiz bangs.

Back