Terrible FSS service

one can only hope Jason. lately it seems that we have just been getting a bunch of forecast readers, not weather briefers. im glad that i have bene studying the weather in this part of the country for the last few years and can actually make a pretty good stab at what the weather is actually doing. i can read a TAF or Area Forecast just as good as Lockheed martin. sadly its mostly getting to the point where the go/no go is made well before the call, and the call is essentially to get TFRs.

The voice response system, though, is dung.

I've found it works better the more annoyed you sound...

LM: "Welcome to Lockheed-Martin flight service. If you wish to speak to a briefer, say 'briefer.'"
Me: "Briefer."
LM: "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. If you wish..."
Me: "BRIEFER."
Me: "BRIEFER!!!"
LM: "OK. Say the name of the state you are departing from."
Me: "Wisconsin."
LM: "I think you said 'Texas'. If this is correct..."
Me: *sigh*

LM: "Welcome to Lockheed-Martin flight service. If you wish to speak to a briefer, say 'briefer.'"

I forget who was telling me (I think it was SafetyGuy from the red boards) at the Wings Fly-in, but he tried picking up a clearance from LM out of Key West and had to go through 10 or 15 different states before the voice recognition picked up 'Florida.' Quite embarrassing when you're screaming the state you're in into a cell phone at the FBO. :redface:

It could be more like this:

LM: "I think you said 'Texas'. If this is correct, please say 'Yes.', If incorrect, please say, 'No'"
Me: "No"
LM: "I think you said 'Texas'. If this is correct, please say 'Yes.', If incorrect, please say, 'No'"
Me: "Nooo"
Me: "Oh hell!"
LM: "Thank you, your Washington, DC briefer will be with you shortly."

:rolleyes:

I think the key is that the contract should've been awarded to at least two different companies with pilots able to choose which one to use. Payment could be based on the number of pilots served.

I think the key is that the contract should've been awarded to at least two different companies with pilots able to choose which one to use. Payment could be based on the number of pilots served.
You mean competition? For the best customer service?

Shirley, you jest??? :eek:

I like it! :)

You mean like how the DUAT and DUATS contract works? They get AFAIK, $2 per transaction.

The best part is when they say " What state are you calling from? For example, you can say Texas"
Now, my family, my friends and I all realize I'm not here on a scholarship. I've fully come to embrace my academic shortcomings over the years. BUT, when asked what state I'm calling from even I don't need a freakin' example.

Mike

Competition certainly would be a good thing. Another would be a rating system by which the pilot would be prompted to press a button at the end of the call rating the quality of service he or she just received. The user ratings would determine the rate of payment made to the provider.

But that will never happen.

Competition certainly would be a good thing. Another would be a rating system by which the pilot would be prompted to press a button at the end of the call rating the quality of service he or she just received. The user ratings would determine the rate of payment made to the provider.

But that will never happen.

That's another outsource contractor scam. They will have a satisfaction clause in the contract, where they will "randomly" survey clients to see how happy they are with the call.

When what I needed was routine and they could handle it in one call, I'd get the "random" call to see how happy I was. When they were useless and never got the problem fixed after days and days, I get no survey call. It was the strangest thing. :rolleyes:

Back