Tell me it'll all be okay

Skyscraper

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Skyscraper
Student pilot here feeling a bit overwhelmed with training. For those who don't know my background, I'm a student with a solo endorsement struggling pretty badly to find a CFI in my area and therefore guiding myself through most of the ground school work. Many times things click but more often I am feeling simply overwhelmed and have a "Am I starting in the right place?" kind of feeling when it comes to the various books and resources I'm using.

I feel like there is no chapter 1 to all of this training and I'm all over the place studying a little bit here and a little bit there. My knowledge is improving but I'm not sure if I'm using my time effectively and sometimes feeling lost amongst all of the headier definitions, and concepts. For the most part I am a verbal learner as opposed to a visual one, making all the solo book learning difficult.

Any other students feeling this way?

I really want to avoid feelings of discouragement as I truly love aviation and and fully committed to getting my ticket this Summer.

I guess, in short, I'm needing some encouragement and perhaps a little general study guidance from some of you POA veterans. This has been a pretty great resource so far.

Thanks in advance!

It'll be OK. :)

For the knowledge test / ground school stuff, I found the King Schools online course to be both highly corny and pretty effective. I had several books, but they seemed either disorganized or intended for use either in a classroom or with a CFI. I also had the Sporty's test prep - good for test prep, not as good for learning. There was another online course I looked at... ah, there it is. http://www.faa-ground-school.com/ was pretty good. Less expensive, too. But John & Martha did a good job despite some pretty old video and the slight Mr. Rogers / SNL music teachers vibe.

I felt the same way. There's a lot to learn and it's frustrating at times. One day it all started clicking though. Have you taken your written test yet?

Kimberly is based in your region (Petaluma) and is building a network of helpful aviation folks. She might provide some guidance and help in finding the right CFI for you.

You'll be just fine. :)

There are those "drinking from a firehose" moments for sure! But keep at it and it will click for you one day. I found chair flying at home/work/car help build the muscle memory.

The written was harder than the practical test for me. I knew I could fly the plane, but the rules and regs were just rote memorization (something I don't excel in). I "enjoyed" the King school vids, also had an old Jepp book, Bob's book and the Sporty's Study Buddy when I was within weeks of taking the written just to keep it fresh in my mind. Eventually the knowledge set in.

I am the same way...student pilot working through ground school on my own. I am also a VERY visual learner...I can not read something and have it stick...my brain is just not wired that way. I actually struggled through school and college when it came to reading retention then testing on what I just read. If someone SHOWS me something and I can visualize it, it is burned in my brain. When I am building a project, I can do it all in my head, but if I have to try and read and memorize measurements, I'm screwed. I was worried how well I would do with the written.

I am using the Gleim course with the online study sessions.

I got the books, and got even more worried. Here is the approach that I am taking. I will take practice tests for each area to see what I know and don't know. Next, if i run across a term, concept, or maneuver that I don't know or recognize what it means, I search youtube and will look at different videos on the subject. I have found hours and hours of videos that have been incredibly valuable to me seeing the info presented from different angles. The REAL key for me has been the Audio Review Guide from Gleim that I bought for $70. I load that on my Iphone and it runs any time I am in the car or working out...and has been a life saver! My retention rate with that tool has been phenominal.

Now I take the practice test for a section and can usually get a 60-70% blindly before any studying...spend some time on youtube, listen to the audio review, review the book to look for info that I am still not strong on, take a study session test all over a few days then can nail the practice test again usually with a 95% or better.

At first, the written was the part of the whole process that I was most scared about but I am getting excited about it now!

It is all about finding a learning technique that works for you. Don't be discouraged because everyone thinks that everyone else can just read, learn and regurgitate facts and that is the only and correct way to learn...cuz its not!

Last edited:
Kimberly is based in your region (Petaluma) and is building a network of helpful aviation folks. She might provide some guidance and help in finding the right CFI for you.

Yeah I know her, she gave me a couple of recommendations of CFI's who ended up not having time to take on another student :dunno:

You're a bit too far to take on the instructors I know. KSTS is a nice cross-country from here.... Maybe Kim has some additional recommendations -- or the instructors who don't have time may know who does. FBO staff can sometimes be helpful, but that's hit or miss. There are two on the field at KSTS.

There are certainly firehose moments. Well, much of flight training really is a firehose. But it IS manageable. The important part is figuring out how you learn. If it's visual (and I think it might be for quite a few of us -- myself included), drawing diagrams helps a lot.

My suggestion:

Purchase the ASA PP test prep book. Read it front to back. Take it with you everywhere you go. Going out for pizza with friends? Read a chapter in the car. Don't move on to a chapter until you understand the current chapter. Do all of the section practice questions. Try each question once without cheating. If you get it wrong, go back and understand why you got it wrong.

Purchase the Gleim online test prep software. Do actual length practice tests until you're scoring 90s. Again, if you get questions wrong, understand why.

Now relax, take the test and pass with flying colors.I scored a 94, missing 4 four questions, one of which I changed to the wrong answer at the last minute.

The studying took me two solid weeks, reading in the evening after work.

You're a bit too far to take on the instructors I know. KSTS is a nice cross-country from here.... Maybe Kim has some additional recommendations -- or the instructors who don't have time may know who does. FBO staff can sometimes be helpful, but that's hit or miss. There are two on the field at KSTS.

There are certainly firehose moments. Well, much of flight training really is a firehose. But it IS manageable. The important part is figuring out how you learn. If it's visual (and I think it might be for quite a few of us -- myself included), drawing diagrams helps a lot.

Yeah, I traded e-mails with one of them who said he would have minimal time and could maybe do a flight or two with me but couldn't make himself available to finish my training. The other is one that used to teach out of our local community college and seems to be MIA.

My suggestion:

Purchase the ASA PP test prep book. Read it front to back. Take it with you everywhere you go. Going out for pizza with friends? Read a chapter in the car. Don't move on to a chapter until you understand the current chapter. Do all of the section practice questions. Try each question once without cheating. If you get it wrong, go back and understand why you got it wrong.

Purchase the Gleim online test prep software. Do actual length practice tests until you're scoring 90s. Again, if you get questions wrong, understand why.

Now relax, take the test and pass with flying colors.I scored a 94, missing 4 four questions, one of which I changed to the wrong answer at the last minute.

The studying took me two solid weeks, reading in the evening after work.

It seems that many folks have really felt the Gleim test prep was worth it, so I'll probably pick that up.

All of my guys self study, I only do ground for the initial weight and balance, x-country/ airspace, checkride prep and by request.

I've gotten quite a few guys from 0-commercial Tailwheel in 3-5 months.

Here's the no BS get chit done program.

Get the King School videos (they are THE standard, for damn good reason)

Watch all the video and take the practice written tests until you average over 85% constantly, then youre ready for the written (FYI never had a guy fail a written yet)

Combine this with flying at least once a week and you'll be set.

Also the more you fly the less it will cost in the long run.

The test prep books normally read like a yellow pages mixed with a dictionary, wouldnt spend the time or money on one.

Only book my guys get is the FAR/AIM

Last edited:

Mike - I took him in the Piper to meet all the Bay Area POA-ers.

We are friends.

Small world.

Yeah I know her, she gave me a couple of recommendations of CFI's who ended up not having time to take on another student :dunno:

Oh that I did not know. You forgot "yeah I flew with her and we didn't die" and all that good stuff. I like to point out that all my victims - er - I mean past passengers - still have all of their arms and legs.

I did find the other FAA pubs -- AFH and PHAK -- to be useful, and they are source material for the written exam. PHAK has some errors; get the errata.

I didn't find any "test prep book" to be useful; I used the ASA and Gleim books. The ASA book comes with a paper copy of the supplement, which can be helpful. But practice exams came from examsforpilots.com . The Sporty's Study Buddy is similar (there is a free online version if you look for it, or you can pay them their $10 or whatever it is these days).

Oh that I did not know. You forgot "yeah I flew with her and we didn't die" and all that good stuff. I like to point out that all my victims - er - I mean past passengers - still have all of their arms and legs.

We just shared a near death experience, so I suppose we can share a water bottle...

Hahaha, you just reminded me of leaving Columbia and checking fuel in the Archer:

Kim: I can't really see the level

me: Oh here, I've got a lighter (pulls it out of pocket)

Kim: :yikes:

Gotcha! :D

Last edited:
How far are you willing to travel? It sounds like you need to get into a good ground school, and find a bigger flight school. I would be happy to try and help.

How far are you willing to travel? It sounds like you need to get into a good ground school, and find a bigger flight school. I would be happy to try and help.

Unfortunately my schedule has been very busy so I kind of just have to chip away at it when I have a spare hour or two, making traveling for school impractical. I have previously been taking lessons with a private CFI, not through a school as my local school here at STS went out of business.

I very much appreciate your response though!

I second everyone's recommendation about the King School's programs. John and Martha are as corney as it comes, but it seems to work well for me. I passed my PP and IR writtens in the 90% range, and both check rides the first time around using the Kings for both.

Good luck!

How about an online ground school? I am not familiar with them personally, but Gleim and Jeppesen are both fantastic training companies.

http://www.gleim.com/aviation/online_courses/ogs_info.php?ogs=PP

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/personal-solutions/aviation/online-training.jsp

ASA is also really good:

http://www.asa2fly.com/Private-Pilot-Online-Ground-School-P1689_product1.aspx

That should really help tie the big picture together. You can learn at your own pace, and get the required knowledge down without having to pay a CFI 35-55 an hour to spoon feed it to you, and you don't have to worry about finding a CFI for that. AS far as flying goes, Napa Jet Center I believe has a flight school at KAPC. Again, not sure how far you are willing to drive. KCCR is probably your best bet and its probably an hour drive. But if you could do a couple of flights a day, and make it out twice a week, you could knock the private out easily.

I think you'll be fine.

For what it's worth, I'm in a similar situation. Self-studying, that is.
Also, my CFI just had a medical issue crop up and is not available for the foreseeable future, so I can empathize with you there a little bit. Hopefully you can find an instructor soon.

Have you taken any practice tests, just to see where you're at in terms of the knowledge exam at least?
If not, I have been using Sporty's Study Buddy, which like MAKG1 said is about $10 for the "premium" version. The premium version gives you explanations for your incorrect answers, which I have found helpful.
Also, www.exams4pilots.org is good, but some of the questions are not in the current question bank.

At least if you take a few practice tests you can have a baseline to see which knowledge areas you are deficient in.

good luck!

We just shared a near death experience, so I suppose we can share a water bottle...

Hahaha, you just reminded me of leaving Columbia and checking fuel in the Archer:

OMG I forgot I said that. Reminds me of my flight with TangoWhiskey when I showed him the sun setting over the Golden Gate Bridge in my Cessna. He video taped the whole thing and posted it to You Tube:

(night landing, back home safe)

(camera shows landing)

Kimberly: Gosh, that was awful

Troy: Well, I didn't grab anything, did I?

I used the king schools online course (Cessna kit version). It was very effective and after completing the course I received a 90% on the written and passed the practical with flying colors.

I used the king schools online course (Cessna kit version). It was very effective and after completing the course I received a 90% on the written and passed the practical with flying colors.

I used their online course too and though I told the test guy I thought I failed because I took the entire two hours, I actually got a 97. My feet didn't even leave the door of that flight school in San Carlos without me already dialing my CFI and screaming into the phone.

The videos are really cheesy and old, but they work.

Skyscraper, hang in there and hope you get it done. I work the Center airspace there and hope to hear you IFR next fall. Regards.

It will be OK, I read the Jepp book cover to cover int he first month of my PP training. Probably took away less than I should have but it served as a good basis to build on in the air with one of my 4 CFIs. I got done in just over 50 hrs total, 35 dual.

It will be OK

If you're a visual learner, read the book, watch the videos, do something but expect that it'll click in the air when it becomes useful. Both of my oral exams (PP + IR) have been as much about me demonstrating familiarity and decision making as the DPE pointing out and firming up areas that were weak but not crucial.

It will be OK

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That there is what we call a "no-brainer".

PS-It'll all be OK.

You seem to be sweating the knowledge enough to be taking it seriously, and that's good enough to get you through the written and oral. It's mostly about attitude... a learner's attitude, the PIC attitude. A lot of this stuff doesn't become "real" until the ink dries on your certificate and you are out there really learning, so don't worry about being some sort of human encyclopedia for the exams.
FWIW, I used the Gleim stuff for my PPASEL, and made my own flashcards from that, the FAR/AIM, and the handbook. I was basically giving myself the written every day for months, so when I walked in and really took it, it was like nothing. Only got one question wrong, because I checked off the wrong multiple-choice item by mistake. Over-confident, I guess.
Later, I learned that I really didn't know much at all... :D
For my recent glider ratings, I made very good use of this site, which has sample questions from the FAA test database for all kinds of ratings. It's good prep to do 10 questions a day... it will mostly prepare you for those nonsensical and seemingly rating-irrelevant questions the FAA will throw at you.
http://www.exams4pilots.org/
As for the oral (and certainly beneficial for the written): whenever possible- in the car, in the shower, any time nobody will see you talking to yourself and think you're nuts- come up with questions you think the DPE might ask, and explain your answer out loud. Describe the fuel system of the test airplane... what are the rules regarding supplemental oxygen... what do flaps do... etc., etc. Or you can even pretend you are teaching a class. As I prepare for my first CFI rating (glider), I am fully realizing that if you can't teach something, you don't really know it. And switching roles as you prepare for an exam is just a good way to defrag and reboot your brain... gives you a new perspective.

Most important advice I can give for the oral (for the umpteenth time):
KEEP ANSWERS SHORT AND SWEET AND ONLY ANSWER "YES", "NO", OR "I DON'T KNOW" WHEN APPROPRIATE!! DO NOT EXPOUND OR ELABORATE!!!
If you try to show off what you know, you will most likely learn what you do NOT know. That's actually a good thing, but you don't want to miss your flying slot because the oral took too long. :D

Last edited:
Wow, does this thread bring back memories. I lived in a small town with no ground school and no instructors who wanted to do anything other than fly. Back then there were no question banks or videos or practice tests or much of anything other than some books from the pilot shop in OKC plus the owner's manual to the Jepp CR-3 whiz wheel.

I distinctly remember the sinking feeling when I started studying all the stuff about which I had absolutely no background and wondering how I would ever be able to pass the test. In retrospect, I learned more about independent study from that exercise than any other before or since, and have come to realize it was a turning point insofar as mastering the information I needed to know without having a teacher to explain the material.

It sounds like you're gaining knowledge about each subject, so that's a good sign. Stay the course, use the available resources and be patient. You'll find that it will all come together at some point.

Wow, does this thread bring back memories. I lived in a small town with no ground school and no instructors who wanted to do anything other than fly. Back then there were no question banks or videos or practice tests or much of anything other than some books from the pilot shop in OKC plus the owner's manual to the Jepp CR-3 whiz wheel.
Just as well there was no ground school. It would have been uphill, both ways, in the snow.

:)

Just as well there was no ground school. It would have been uphill, both ways, in the snow.

You went to my high school? It was uphill both ways and often in the snow. My kids thought I was nuts until they went to college on that hill. Dad wasn't full of it.

To Skyscraper - it will be OK. Feeling overwhelmed at this stage isn't uncommon. I will second the recommendation for the King Schools class. I know, their humor can get old, but their instruction techniques worked for me for both the PP and IR writtens. You'll want additional materials as you go along, but not necessarily for the written exam. Some are free (download from the FAA website). Others cost some money.

Good luck with the CFI hunt. I was lucky and didn't have a problem with that matter for my PP. My IR, on the other hand, took several years and at least 2 different CFIIs to complete. The time was partially me and partially my first regular CFII getting pulled back to the sandbox periodically (IP in the Army flying MH-47s).

You'll get it done.

You were there too? Remember when we got jumped by the Injuns on the way to school? We would have been in deep doo-doo without the Winchesters in our knap-sacks.

You were there too? Remember when we got jumped by the Injuns on the way to school? We would have been in deep doo-doo without the Winchesters in our knap-sacks.
Dern tootin' we woulda.
pappy-yokum1.png

url

I'm a visual learner also. This is what I did.

After reading the Jepp book for hours, I realized I was bored and not retaining much. I was fortunate to have a friend loan me the King video course. Like everyone says, its very cheesy but I think that is why it helps you remember stuff so well. This video series works because of the presentation. I had an opportunity to view the Sportys course and it was very dry. I didn't care for it.

After watching the videos, the Jepp book started making a lot more sense and just reinforced what I learned in the videos

I also spent a lot of time on exams4pilots.org <----excellent resource.

Back