Tell Me About Radio Controlled (RC) Airplanes

So I know all the new stuff uses the 2.4 ghz radios, I got out just as it was starting to hit. My old radio still useable?

My old radio still useable?
Assuming you have 72MHz narrow band stuff, yes, it's still usable. Cycle your batteries a few times if you haven't used them in a while.

vfl3yh.jpg

Nauga,
who builds in all scales

Last edited:
So I know all the new stuff uses the 2.4 ghz radios, I got out just as it was starting to hit. My old radio still useable?

The 72Mhz stuff is fading, and it's not very expensive to upgrade to the 2.4 ghz stuff. It's also just much more reliable, accurate, etc.

I have flown models all my life and RC since 1971. It is a great hobby and there are many types of airplanes and helicopters from cheap to ungodly expensive. Being a glutton for punishment I fly Scale and I like the bigger 85" or bigger wingspan. But I really enjoy flying my micro helicopters in the hangar or at home. The Blade MCX from Horizon Hobbies is fun and easy to fly and for $80 ready to fly including transmitter you can figure out if you like it. There are several electric trainers like the Hobbyzone Champ that come with everything for around $100. Don
Jeez I'm getting old. I flew models all my life from indoor microfilm stuff to 10lb RC models. Started RC in '67 as a kid when kids didn't really fly them. Radio equipment was REALLY expensive then and I can't tell you how many planes we destroyed learning to fly - no buddy boxes or simulators then, just snatch and save. My younger brother started then too. The former Nats (National) Pattern acro champ still competes today.

I remember listening to the first moon landing on the PA system during the model Nats at Willow Grove NAS in '69. Great audience for such stuff.

Watched an early American RC coptor almost fly at the same meet. Then in '71 watched Germany's Dieter Schluter blow everyone away with a demo flight of his RC Huey at a acro championship at Doylestown PA. Before that flight, few American eyes had seen an RC copter more than 6" off the ground.

I went from powered models to RC gliders. Took the same path with the full scale stuff too. I clearly remember my first thermal when it took my AMA Delta Dart out of sight. I remain fascinated by powerless flight and that great heat engine in the sky.

RC modeling equipment has become both amazingly cheap and amazingly expensive depending on what you choose to do. Electric power has taken over leaving little reason to run gas engines on anything.

For newbies, the main hurdle is learning to fly. Either an experienced flyer with a buddy box or a simulator is required. If you go try by yourself, you will crash and you probably won't succeed. But it will cost you only $$$ and not your life.

Anyone remember 3 channel Galloping Ghost?
Or how to loop an airplane with only rudder control?

Some good advice here, Inverted knows what he's talkin about... I have been out of RC for a few years but I have owned and flown just about anything you can think of.

Simulator is a great idea, will save you some bucks in crash costs.

Post #41 - excellent first RC airplane.

If you want a real challenge, take up helicopters. They are much harder but much more rewarding when you "get it". Of course, they don't crash very well :)

Check out offerings from E-Flite RC. They have a lot of great products, I highly recommend them. Someone mentioned the Carbon Cub and that's a great choice. It's a very cool, nice-flying airplane.

My nephew recently bought a moderately priced rtf P38 Lightning. The first flight lasted about twelve and a half seconds and demonstrated very clearly that the fork tailed devil is by no means indestructible. Don't over-estimate your skill level.

However if you want to fly and maybe learn a bit of something that you can take with you to GA, fly gliders. I have been out of R/C for some time now, but I spent the better part of the 90's and 2000's flying competition R/C sailplanes and competing all over the western states. The competition planes might be a bit of overkill, but you can get a lot of the same fun and learn things about micro weather by flying a DLG (Discus launch Glider). It's small enough to keep in your car or airplane or bring to work because you never know when you might find time to fly. It is a glider so it only requires that the radio equipment is charged and not power packs for electric props. You will learn to fly very precisely and also learn to know where the thermals are by observation of things around you. Sparrows in the air, swirling trees, wind directions different at ends of the field and even feel the wind in the hair of your legs.. You may have to stop shaving your legs to fly DLG and be proficient...:rolleyes2:..
Cheap DLG to try: http://www.soaringusa.com/Apache-HLG.html
Spoken like a true glider nut. Gliding can be the most fun of all if it strikes your fancy.... or helicopters..... or etc.
I really didn't need to see that DLG stick built model... oh boy.
I guess I'm just a curmudgeonly 34 yr. old, but it's a little sad to me that the majority of hobbyists these days have little interest or attention span for building...and are only interested in the ARFs and RTFs. The technology has come a long way, and these pre-built planes are a far cry from what they were 15 years ago, but for me, most of the satisfaction in this hobby came from building, not flying...although flying is fun. I've flown R/C very off an on since I was a kid, and my first plane was a Sig Kadet Senior, which IMO, is THE best trainer ever designed. Built a couple more in college, and then didn't touch anything again until I found this Waco YMF-5 kit made by Dumas a few years ago. It's an old-school build-over-plans stick frame kit, the only difference being that the ribs and formers are laser cut instead of "die crunched". It's a 35" span, and has a flying weight of 7-3/4 ounces...so it floats like a rubber scale plane and can be flown in ridiculously small spaces. Awesome flyer, but it's basically a hangar queen these days. Anyway, just an example of something you can build that's different, and can look and fly better than the pre-built ARF/RTF stuff. And I got a little tired of the flying field scene, where it was mostly about big gas monoplanes hovering and doing 3D. If I didn't have a Pitts, I'd probably spend some time and money on RC again. :)
I actually pre-date ARF/RTF models, heck, we didn't even have epoxy let alone CA. Ambroids and balsa, silk and dope baby! But when the first Lanier foam ARFs came out and stuff like the CG Ranger 42 became available we thought we died and went to heaven. Fly, crash, a little 5 min epoxy and fly again. But if you get a taste for built up models, the plastic stuff never quite looks right. I like the RTF stick built models - best of both worlds for people who like the look and weight but have tired of building.

Of course if you really like to build, do an RV :D

Clubs provide free instruction and a place to fly. Other fields can be found by talking to the local hobby shop.
There are still hobby shops? ;)

Hello Kimberly,

It looks like your in the Bay Area so I may have another option you might consider. If you just want to walk to a local park and fly then definitely go the electric park flyer option.

However if you want to fly and maybe learn a bit of something that you can take with you to GA, fly gliders. I have been out of R/C for some time now, but I spent the better part of the 90's and 2000's flying competition R/C sailplanes and competing all over the western states. The competition planes might be a bit of overkill, but you can get a lot of the same fun and learn things about micro weather by flying a DLG (Discus launch Glider). It's small enough to keep in your car or airplane or bring to work because you never know when you might find time to fly. It is a glider so it only requires that the radio equipment is charged and not power packs for electric props. You will learn to fly very precisely and also learn to know where the thermals are by observation of things around you. Sparrows in the air, swirling trees, wind directions different at ends of the field and even feel the wind in the hair of your legs.. You may have to stop shaving your legs to fly DLG and be proficient...:rolleyes2:..
Cheap DLG to try: http://www.soaringusa.com/Apache-HLG.html
Or: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23138__Versus_Composite_DLG_1500mm_Glider_Kit.html (This requires a fair amount of assembly)

Also since you live in the bay area you could try slope soaring which will also teach you about how terrain affects wind and what types of terrian create turbulence and where lift and sinkholes are. All very transferable to GA. A few places I use to fly slope gliders in the bay area were Fort Funston and off the road heading into Dell Valle lake (livermore area) and Davenport. I am sure there are many more sites if you have a look.

For slope you could learn to fly beating this to death and still not kill it:
http://www.zagi.com/zagi-gliders/zagi-5c-epp-flying-wing-combat-glider

He says he is the original EPP glider manufacturer which is less than true...

Best regards,

Marc

A guy was flying an electric glider at the local park. It was way more cool.

A guy was flying an electric glider at the local park. It was way more cool.

I want one of these. It would be nice to speak with someone whom has flown one to see what size is needed to catch some good thermals. From what i understand not all these model gliders will thermal or thermal very well.
With the power systems that come in these you do not have to launch or tow these up.

Great website by the way Kimberly and I must say..You are cute.. I liked your young eagle flight also... very cool that she wanted a girl pilot...we need more...

I have had the Eflite Apprentice 15e for 2 straight years... Crashed it about 13 times and replaced many cheap cheap parts and the thing's meat and bones still runs great. It is easy to learn and just fun as hell to fly.

I started by doing simple 2-3 feet take-offs into ground effect and pulled the power to land. And I did this facing behind the aircraft, so that inputs where the same as if I were in the cockpit. But if I were to mess up horribly, it would smack down on the nose but not break anything. I slowly got higher and higher and more and more confident and within the same day I had put the bird at about 100 and landed it.

It is one fun little hobby. Not to mention, no FAA!! ;)

The ParkZone Radian is a popular and respectable entry-level electric sailplane; lots of folks fly it at my local club.

I want one of these. It would be nice to speak with someone whom has flown one to see what size is needed to catch some good thermals. From what i understand not all these model gliders will thermal or thermal very well.
With the power systems that come in these you do not have to launch or tow these up.

Some of my EDFs. Lots of fun to fly!

Attachments

• A-7 104 copy.jpg
    A-7 104 copy.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 29
I got one of those R/C coaxial rotor helicopters from Amazon for $18.00. And it's a lot of fun. When I finally prang it really good, I won't really be out much at all, but so far it has proven pretty darned hearty.

I am loving them all Mcfly. The A-4 is incredible, who makes it?

Thanks man. Here's some more pics. I should say they're all custom paint jobs that I did so they don't come like that out of the box. The A-4 is built by Alfa Models. Hobby Lobby used to sell them, now I'm not sure if anyone carries them anymore. I had to cut the ECM hump off to convert to a Blue Angel.

Due to deployments I've been out of the hobby for a couple years but now my job allows me to get back into it. I've got about 5 planes at home still in boxes.

Attachments

• 100_0028copy.jpg
    100_0028copy.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_0060 copy.jpg
    100_0060 copy.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 18
  • F-18 069copy.JPG
    F-18 069copy.JPG
    718.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMGP0388copy.jpg
    IMGP0388copy.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 14
A) much harder to fly than a real airplane
b) Required to fly backwards when the plane is coming toward you
c) Much less friendly pilot community. . .

That was never my experience. I can't say it's the opposite, but I have met more anti-social (or just plain jerks) in full scale pilots than R/C flyers. Then again, it's been 15 years since I was active in the hobby.

Had a really cool r/c helicopter a few years ago. Radio got wonky on me and it hit the ground full speed. I didn't know it had so many parts.......

Lots of fun, but expect to crash, a lot.....

That was never my experience. I can't say it's the opposite, but I have met more anti-social (or just plain jerks) in full scale pilots than R/C flyers. Then again, it's been 15 years since I was active in the hobby.

I've had lots of time just standing around watching these guys - and have only met one or two people who welcomed questions. Very insular group.

Once they find out you are a real pilot - they get interested - I've tried the sims and they always screw me up. And I always screw up. Flying a real airplane is alot easier.

I've had lots of time just standing around watching these guys - and have only met one or two people who welcomed questions. Very insular group.

Yep, can be. Many of them remind me of high school mentality. Cliquish and if you're not flying the right equipment you'll be ignored and possibly even knocked down behind your back. In my experience, full scale pilots are generally much more gregarious and welcoming. I've known many great folks in RC, but just noticed some underlying characteristics among many of them that I've only rarely run across in full scale. And there's also some serious redneck factor in RC. ;)

A) much harder to fly than a real airplane
b) Required to fly backwards when the plane is coming toward you

a. True. I've crashed an RC plane. I have not dinged a full scale plane.

b. Yup. And it can really mess with your mind.

c. We have a group that flies at lunch at work. Maybe because we all work for the same company the attitude is different. Doesn't hurt that two of us fly full scale, as well. :D

Yep, can be. Many of them remind me of high school mentality. Cliquish and if you're not flying the right equipment you'll be ignored and possibly even knocked down behind your back. In my experience, full scale pilots are generally much more gregarious and welcoming. I've known many great folks in RC, but just noticed some underlying characteristics among many of them that I've only rarely run across in full scale. And there's also some serious redneck factor in RC. ;)

Agree. I wouldn't bother with any club. The one I went to was just people who were too fat/stupid/poor to fly a real plane so they turn to models. You can get a r/c glider and teach yourself to fly it. Once you get the hang of that, go with a smaller electric one. Don't start with a gas one, you'll just destroy it. Better yet....stick with real planes.

If anyone is the muncie indiana area next weekend you should stop by ama headquarters. The largest rc fun fly is going on and it is all helicopters. Reese airport is right adjacent to the property so you can fly in if you want and just come visit and hang out. We normally have over 1000 pilots plus spectators and there is food for sale on site. Let me know if you want more info.

I certainly agree on the A and B points. I'm just surprised about the C. It's completely different than what I've experienced. Maybe it has to do with regional differences?

Or maybe the demographics have changed. We complain about GA dying, but when I was flying R/C that was the underlying worry. Most of the people in our clubs (members at more than one) were retired. Often my Dad and I were the youngest folks around. It seemed like pre-built (ARF) planes were going to be the future as newcomers didn't have the patience to build anything anymore. Maybe that's actually happened and the hobby now attracts a different type.

I think that to say the community is much less friendly, is painting with much too broad a brush. I've been a member of several different clubs, here in WI as well as NV... and none have displayed the sort of behavior that would portray them in a negative light, as far as the social aspect. Most members are very friendly and willing to help.

There ARE bad apples out there. Oftentimes "old farts" are very judgemental of another member simply because of what they fly, or their flying style. I say as long as it's in a safe manner, it doesn't matter what or how you fly. But there are grumpy people out there, who just want to *****.

Who cares about the RC community? I got into RC planes because they're flat out fun to fly not be be part if some club. I load my jets up in the back of the car go out to a public park or high school and fly. Next thing you know you have people gathered around asking questions on how they can get into the hobby. Don't need to be in some group or club to enjoy RC flying.

I learned entirely casually...and, other than a couple of cheap toy-grade RC planes, mostly on planes I designed and built myself.

A while back at work, several of my co-workers got into the "Air Hog" style extremely light-weight RC planes which use thrust for control. The hardest part about starting up RC is keeping track of which way the plane is going to turn...when it's going towards you, the stick works opposite.

The Air Hogs were good for learning THAT aspect of RC flying...the planes were designed to take a heck of a lot of punishment.

At that point, I bought a conventional RC setup (brushless electric motor, RC controller, set of servos, etc.) and started designing planes. All were very simple, profile-type with flat airfoils. The ones at the beginning were horrible, but still pretty durable with the depron foam. Never broke a motor or other expensive part until several years into it.

My designs eventually evolved into ~24" span biplanes powered by a Park 250 motor and a LIO battery. They take off at half-power, and can really loaf around in a slight breeze. I built one for a more-experienced buddy, and he really loves it. Been flying it for ~4 years with no major mishaps.

Here's a video that shows how much better pilot he is...and how durable the planes are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_3D1ztbvRA

I eventually wrote up some plans for folks who were interested in the design. If you've got Powerpoint or a reader, you can download them at:

http://www.wanttaja.com/rc.ppt

Ron Wanttaja

When I started RC and was trying to figure out the reversal when the plane was headed at me, one of the old hands said "just turn your upper body in the same direction the plane is going and look over your shoulder while you fly it."

I assumed everybody knew that.

I learned entirely casually...and, other than a couple of cheap toy-grade RC planes, mostly on planes I designed and built myself.

A while back at work, several of my co-workers got into the "Air Hog" style extremely light-weight RC planes which use thrust for control. The hardest part about starting up RC is keeping track of which way the plane is going to turn...when it's going towards you, the stick works opposite.

The Air Hogs were good for learning THAT aspect of RC flying...the planes were designed to take a heck of a lot of punishment.

At that point, I bought a conventional RC setup (brushless electric motor, RC controller, set of servos, etc.) and started designing planes. All were very simple, profile-type with flat airfoils. The ones at the beginning were horrible, but still pretty durable with the depron foam. Never broke a motor or other expensive part until several years into it.

My designs eventually evolved into ~24" span biplanes powered by a Park 250 motor and a LIO battery. They take off at half-power, and can really loaf around in a slight breeze. I built one for a more-experienced buddy, and he really loves it. Been flying it for ~4 years with no major mishaps.

Here's a video that shows how much better pilot he is...and how durable the planes are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_3D1ztbvRA

I eventually wrote up some plans for folks who were interested in the design. If you've got Powerpoint or a reader, you can download them at:

http://www.wanttaja.com/rc.ppt

Ron Wanttaja

a. True. I've crashed an RC plane. I have not dinged a full scale plane.

b. Yup. And it can really mess with your mind.

Back when I was maybe 10 or so I got a string line controlled model plane.. Might have been a p-51 with a Cox .049 motor and rubber bands held it together.. It lasted about 1/2 day before I killed it. I could NEVER get it to make two complete laps before the crash.... No RC stuff for me and when I started taking flying lessons 33 years ago the thought of my inability to fly a model crossed my mind just once... Then after my first successful landing in the 152 I knew the model flying was ALOT harder then the real thing..:yes: IMHO..

When I started RC and was trying to figure out the reversal when the plane was headed at me, one of the old hands said "just turn your upper body in the same direction the plane is going and look over your shoulder while you fly it."

I knew about it, but I was there to fly the airplane, not dance....:)

Seriously, I figured I'd be better off learning how to do it without having to turn. It's not that tough, and with the toy-grade airplanes, there's little chance of hurting the critter while you learn the knack. Did a lot of spirals into the turf, though. Funny thing was, once I got the hang of it, I haven't had trouble again, even with a 1+ year gap between flights.

I've been experimenting with unusual configurations (mid-engined B-70, etc.) and being too lazy to do research, I often end up with airplanes only vaguely controllable. It helps to be able to stand steady while trying to get the beastie under some form of control so I can avoid the "walk of shame" to the crash site.

This delta took a lot of trial-and-error to get things working somewhat right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c-pI7ZHMHM

I flew it again last week, for the first time in a year or two, and didn't get the battery pack right for the CG. Ended up flying *between* my legs, bringing it home. Hard to do the look-over-the-shoulder trick in that case....

Ron Wanttaja

Back when I was maybe 10 or so I got a string line controlled model plane.. Might have been a p-51 with a Cox .049 motor and rubber bands held it together.. It lasted about 1/2 day before I killed it. I could NEVER get it to make two complete laps before the crash.... No RC stuff for me and when I started taking flying lessons 33 years ago the thought of my inability to fly a model crossed my mind just once... Then after my first successful landing in the 152 I knew the model flying was ALOT harder then the real thing..:yes: IMHO..

I built a gas powered control line plane in 4th grade. We never did fly it. There's still a picture of me holding it around somewhere. Built another plane later on. No joy there, either. The first time I got a control line plane in the air and flying was in the demo area at Disneyland in the late 1960s (yeah, I'm that old). I was one of the lucky kids who got to fly one of the Cox plastic trainers in a fenced area they had in Tomorrowland. .049 engines, of course.

My dad drilled the phrase "stick to the low wing" into my head first, which meant when the plane is coming back at you if you get confused remember to move the aileron control toward the direction of the "lower" wing. Worked for me.

Who cares about the RC community? I got into RC planes because they're flat out fun to fly not be be part if some club. I load my jets up in the back of the car go out to a public park or high school and fly. Next thing you know you have people gathered around asking questions on how they can get into the hobby. Don't need to be in some group or club to enjoy RC flying.

Agree completly, however depending on where you are at and more so what you're flying, a club might be the only choice. Lots of empty parking lots in Vegas saw plenty of foamie action when I was there, but for bigger stuff, the club field which was a nice carpet runway in the desert just off a road. Especially glow, the noise whiners will get that stopped quickly if you try it in town.

Be like me... build yourself a drone and fly out of your front yard!

Back