technically advanced aircraft

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by brien23, Feb 15, 2019.

1. brien23

brien23 Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    Brien
    What are the requirements to be a technically advanced aircraft for use in training for a commercial certificate.

2. amox

amox Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    amox
  3. Clip4

Clip4 Final Approach

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    Not much. A moving map, an autopilot, and GPS RNAV.

BGF_Yankee likes this.
  4. BGF_Yankee

BGF_Yankee Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    BGF_Yankee
    Interesting. Glad I saw that article. We had assumed that it would be a glass cockpit aircraft. That's much more reachable for any given flight school.

5. Wheels

Wheels Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Wheels
    61.129(j) Technically advanced airplane. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a technically advanced airplane must be equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system that includes the following installed components:

(1) An electronic Primary Flight Display (PFD) that includes, at a minimum, an airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, attitude indicator, heading indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator;

(2) An electronic Multifunction Display (MFD) that includes, at a minimum, a moving map using Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation with the aircraft position displayed;

(3) A two axis autopilot integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system; and

(4) The display elements described in paragraphs (j)(1) and (2) of this section must be continuously visible.

6. asicer

asicer Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    asicer
    A pair of G5's, a 430 and an autopilot with alt hold and can follow a heading fits the bill.

Mitch817 likes this.
  7. Mitch817

Mitch817 Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    Mitch
    That's what we did in the tiger. We have a pair of G5s (with the magnetometer), a 430W, and a GFC500 autopilot. It meets the requirements for us. It's what I'm planning to use this year to complete my commercial.

TCABM likes this.
  8. odie451

odie451 Pre-Flight

Display name:
    odie451
    Sorry everyone, going to raise this thread from the dead.

When it comes to autopilot in a technically advanced aircraft, is the Trio Pro Pilot or the TT Vizion/BK Aerocruze 100 a viable option.

9. MajorTurbulence

MajorTurbulence Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    MajorTurbulence
    So it would appear that my Archer with Aspen, 430w and autopilot coupled to navigation, heading with GPSS is technically not TAA since I have no altitude coupling on the autopilot, whether tracking or alt hold. I do have an altitude alerter in the Aspen however.

10. Ravioli

Ravioli Ejection Handle Pulled PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
    I don't think: (3) A two axis autopilot integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system;

Requires the vertical navigation to be integrated. I have a 430W with the Dynon "legacy" two axis autopilot and it is TAA.