Taxi instructions

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
I don't have a lot of experience taxiing around complex airports. I usually fly into 1 runway environments of 5000 feet in length or less. Yesterday I flew into my second airport ever that has 3 runways - KJVL (Janesville aka Southern Wisconsin Regional Airport).

I had landed and parked down at Janesville Jet Center. I dropped of the PnP cargo and then started back up and called for taxi. Instructions were "Taxi to runway 22 via Alpha, cross runway 32." (and yes later he gave me "cross runway 36" too)

The jet center is where the blue X is below.

janesville taxi diagram.JPG

The ramp area extends from the jet center up to Alpha. But there is also taxiway Bravo going along too. Here is the satellite view.

janesville satellite.JPG

Was the expectation that I would only taxi on the ramp side all the way to Alpha and then get on the taxiway? Why would the controller not tell me to get on at Bravo, then go to Alpha? I thought it was an odd instruction for where I was located.

I can identify. I too am a boondocks flyer. When they rattle off a route and tell me to hold short it’s like all of a sudden they’re speaking Swahili.

Your lack of experience doesn't seem to be part of the equation here. I think one of two things happened, either the controller forgot your exact position, or simply didn't specify how to get to Alpha because it didn't matter. Best course of action might have been to ask, "should we take Bravo to get to Alpha"?

Last edited:
Was the expectation that I would only taxi on the ramp side all the way to Alpha and then get on the taxiway? Why would the controller not tell me to get on at Bravo, then go to Alpha? I thought it was an odd instruction for where I was located.
Fly there regularly for Bessie’s. Yummy breakfast. The controller didn’t care how you got to Alpha (bravo or ramp...up to you). He’s only allowed (now days) to cross 1 runway at a time or he’d have done both from the start.

used to go into JVL a lot back in the day. i assume the X on your graphic is where you were parked. unless i'm experiencing a brain freeze it seems the instructions given were the shortest, most direct taxi to 22. directing you to bravo doesn't make sense. to someone used to a single runway drome i guess JVL could seem like o'hare but it's not like you had to pack a lunch for the taxi.

used to go into JVL a lot back in the day. i assume the X on your graphic is where you were parked. unless i'm experiencing a brain freeze it seems the instructions given were the shortest, most direct taxi to 22. directing you to bravo doesn't make sense. to someone used to a single runway drome i guess JVL could seem like o'hare but it's not like you had to pack a lunch for the taxi.
But I am right next to Bravo. So if I touch Bravo and taxi up to Alpha am I in violation?

Fly there regularly for Bessie’s. Yummy breakfast. The controller didn’t care how you got to Alpha (bravo or ramp...up to you). He’s only allowed (now days) to cross 1 runway at a time or he’d have done both from the start.
Well with what I did he didn't complain. I probably should've asked. Oh well.

P.S. I guess I know where to offer to meet you for breakfast. Pretty easy flight for me. Are they doing dine in right now? I haven't checked the Wisconsin covid rules.

P.S. I guess I know where to offer to meet you for breakfast. Pretty easy flight for me. Are they doing dine in right now? I haven't checked the Wisconsin covid rules.
They are. Let me know. Saturday mornings or every other Sundays usually work for me.

If a controller is not specific, he doesn't care. If the ramp vs. Bravo was important to him, he would have specified which to use.

I would’ve assumed Bravo to Alpha in this case. If it’s a place I’m not familiar with or I’m not getting good vibes, I’d clarify with “understand Bravo out of the ramp to Alpha?” There are times I clarified out of abundance of caution and was glad I did, and other times it was obvious I didn’t need to. At night, you have to be really careful cutting across ramp areas as sometimes there’s equipment left parked out there that’s not immediately obvious.

So I guess the CAVU Cafe or Kelly's is no more? I can't count the number of trips I've made there for a burger.

I decided to look at the Google map to see the markings. Taxiway B adjacent to the ramp is clearly a movement area requiring an instruction to use, so I would not assume I can use it without one. Unless I chose to ask about using B (I have done exactly that in similar situations since I generally prefer taxiways to ramps at busy airports) I would remain in the ramp until A.

Last edited:
If a controller is not specific, he doesn't care. If the ramp vs. Bravo was important to him, he would have specified which to use.
I disagree. He was specific. If he'd just said taxi to runway 22, you'd be free to pick any route and cross any other runways to get there. However, he gave a specific route and it didn't include B so I'd not go that way (at least without getting an amended route). These days, controllers are obliged to give a specific route to the destination and specific cross/hold instructions. Since you were already on the ramp, I'm not sure why you'd expect to have to be told that.

In fact, this got to be so problematic at IAD that they gave distinct taxiway names to the ramp exits. Of course that didn't much make up for the clusterfark that making the airport comply with some bean counter's idea of standard nomenclature (same thing that got rid of inner and outer at many fields). Used to be that you didn't need a map to find your way at Dulles as the taxiway names made sense (E1 and E2 were the two big east side taxiways, W1 and W2 were the west side ones, T1, T2, T3... were the ones connecting them starting from the tower and working south). It got really dicey the day they were making the change and they had burlap all over the new taxiway signs. Then they have the whole SPOT concept, which is great if you have JEPP charts but NACO doesn't publish them.

KJVL was my first cross country from KDPA. I remember studying the diagram beforehand and still got confused on my departure taxi instructions. In fact, I was leaving Bessies and was on the side of the terminal facing the Jet Center. I keyed up to ask about entering Bravo to Alpha and my CFI interjected and told me the controller doesn’t care how I get onto Alpha.

I keyed up to ask about entering Bravo to Alpha and my CFI interjected and told me the controller doesn’t care how I get onto Alpha.
Your instructor was exactly right. If the controller cared how you got to Alpha he would have told you. If he cared but didn't tell you then it's his fault, not yours.

The easy way is to request what you want ... my Class C has been training controllers and does a LOT of instructions like the one you got ... at the T-hangar area where I get repairs, first taxiway may be golf, uniform or victor. My mechanic is way in the corner of the field, so I need ALL of those to reach LIMA for a 26L departure. On call up:

Ground, Experimental Nxxxx ready to taxi with info Mike to runway 26L, request G,U,V,L. Always gets approved.

Ground, Experimental Nxxxx ready to taxi with info Mike to runway 26L, request G,U,V,L. Always gets approved.
Is it strange that the detail in taxi instructions these days is often close to that of an IFR clearance?

KJVL was my first cross country from KDPA. I remember studying the diagram beforehand and still got confused on my departure taxi instructions. In fact, I was leaving Bessies and was on the side of the terminal facing the Jet Center. I keyed up to ask about entering Bravo to Alpha and my CFI interjected and told me the controller doesn’t care how I get onto Alpha.
I forgot about DPA. I've been there too so that makes 3 airfields with 3 (or more) that I have been to. No wait....CMI has 3. Ok, maybe I should stop trying to count how many 3+ runway fields I have been to....

Very interesting learning for me here! I probably would have read back “bravo, alpha...” and continued as such unless corrected so they know what I’m about to do.

They are. Let me know. Saturday mornings or every other Sundays usually work for me.
I have also been living in a cave and didn’t know they were open. I’ll have to show up at some point.

Is it strange that the detail in taxi instructions these days is often close to that of an IFR clearance?

I'd rather not guess. Older controllers are generally laid back. Some of the newer trainee controllers are wound pretty tight. We were all getting vectored last year into Mexican airspace when transitioning even though the Class C only had a single commercial AC landing or departing. They were using the heck out of the LOA with Juarez Mexico.

I'd rather not guess. Older controllers are generally laid back. Some of the newer trainee controllers are wound pretty tight. We were all getting vectored last year into Mexican airspace when transitioning even though the Class C only had a single commercial AC landing or departing. They were using the heck out of the LOA with Juarez Mexico.
At a big airfield, when it is busy, I concur. I love it though when I'm coming back 5 minutes before the tower closes (COVID hrs), and they have to read this huge list of instructions when 5 minutes later, I figure it out myself.

I don't have a lot of experience taxiing around complex airports. I usually fly into 1 runway environments of 5000 feet in length or less. Yesterday I flew into my second airport ever that has 3 runways - KJVL (Janesville aka Southern Wisconsin Regional Airport).

I had landed and parked down at Janesville Jet Center. I dropped of the PnP cargo and then started back up and called for taxi. Instructions were "Taxi to runway 22 via Alpha, cross runway 32." (and yes later he gave me "cross runway 36" too)

View attachment 89098

The ramp area extends from the jet center up to Alpha. But there is also taxiway Bravo going along too. Here is the satellite view.

View attachment 89100

To me, I don't believe in looking at the airport diagram that Bravo extends into the ramp area. I would say Bravo ends where the ramp begins, which is the reason why taxiway B4 extends out the other end of the ramp. I could be wrong, but given where you were and what your instructions were, the question you have would not have crossed my mind. (Not that it isn't a fair question)

To me, I don't believe in looking at the airport diagram that Bravo extends into the ramp area. I would say Bravo ends where the ramp begins, which is the reason why taxiway B4 extends out the other end of the ramp. I could be wrong, but given where you were and what your instructions were, the question you have would not have crossed my mind. (Not that it isn't a fair question)

If you look at an aerial view you will see that it is Taxiway. Foreflight labels it B on their map. The Gov and Jepp don't

View attachment 89098

View attachment 89100

If you are not sure, ask. If you think it an odd instruction, ask. Don't be shy.

He’s only allowed (now days) to cross 1 runway at a time or he’d have done both from the start.

Every time I receive instructions to cross multiple runways in a single instruction I think, "Hmph... Is this 2009 again?."

Not really that strange considering how runway incursions continue to be a problem.

Looking at the gov't diagram, B doesn't exist at the ramp area. Sat view shows a movement/non-movement area line, but I don't see any signs indicating that B exists along side the ramps. Guess I'll have to fly over for breakfast sometime and look at it for myself. Personally, I would have just rolled down the ramp area and entered at the corner where A/B intersect unless I was dodging planes, then I'd have crossed into the movement area sooner.

If you look at the govt diagram, the taxiway going into the convergence of 32/36 is B4. Clearly B must extend down there.

My read is that the controller forgot where you were and gave you the instructions for leaving the terminal, from which you can get directly onto A. I would have verified with the response - A to 22, cross 36. I'm at the cargo area, so I'll need B as well.

If taxiway Bravo did not extend along the edge of the ramp to B4 then B4 wouldn't be named B4. Just like taxiways B1, B2, and B3, the B# format indicates that they are taxiways off of Bravo.

The aerial photos on the airport's own web site seem to show the movement/non-movement lines in a totally different area... If they really are as they are in this photo, then the entire ramp is a non-movement area.

SouthernWisconsinRegional.jpg

The aerial photos on the airport's own web site seem to show the movement/non-movement lines in a totally different area... If they really are as they are in this photo, then the entire ramp is a non-movement area.

...then again, maybe not... o_OIMG_7023.jpg

I agree with this assessment.

If you look at an aerial view you will see that it is Taxiway. Foreflight labels it B on their map. The Gov and Jepp don't

That's probably because misteryan is correct. Even though there are taxiway markings (center and edges) doesn't necessarily make it a taxiway in a movement area. Where I am based, KHWD, there are two taxiways leading into the non-movement, ramp, area similar to the OP's. In the ramp, they continue to bear markings and look like taxiways. But are part of the non-movement area. Tower calls them "taxilanes" to distinguish them from the taxiways.

For what it's worth on that taxiway in question, there is a ground sign indicating that it is taxiway Bravo even though the diagram doesn't label it.

I am quite confident that taxiway Bravo extended between Alpha and B4 for the reasons I stated above. If that's not good enough then someone should call the tower and ask them if it does and that it is a movement area.

For what it's worth on that taxiway in question, there is a ground sign indicating that it is taxiway Bravo even though the diagram doesn't label it.
Was it visible from where you were, and/or did you already know it was there? In that case I likely would have asked. I don't think they'd ding you for getting on B there and proceeding to Alpha, but you never know. Fair question.

Was it visible from where you were, and/or did you already know it was there? In that case I likely would have asked. I don't think they'd ding you for getting on B there and proceeding to Alpha, but you never know. Fair question.
The only one I saw was up by the intersection of Bravo and Alpha. So where Alpha jogs between the terminal area and then crossing runway 14-32 is where it was.

What I ended up doing was taxiing mostly in the non-movement area until about the eastern corner of the terminal and then kinda criss crossed over to the intersection of Bravo and Alpha. In retrospect, yes I should have just asked if I could taxi directly on Bravo to get to Alpha.

It's too bad that Janesville doesn't have recordings on Live ATC. I am thinking now about how I exited when arriving in the first place. I landed runway 14. Pretty sure the instruction was "Exit runway 14 at Alpha and taxi to the Jet Center." Would be nice to verify that is what he said. Which means he didn't tell me to use Bravo then either.....but I did. He didn't yell at me.

Back