Tattoos

Remember: There are many good reasons you're not allowed to donate blood for six months after getting a tattoo. :rolleyes:

Aw crud, now I have to get my tattoo removed. :)

So, I was a bit older when I got mine. No one noticed it last week because it is covered unless I am at the beach. Which keeps it from affecting my employability. It is a drawing I made, that reminds to be strong where I had personal struggles before and represented the successes I have had and wish to continue. Which I think goes a long way to avoiding buyers remorse. So, if you see my tattoo then can you ask me for the whole story:)

I agree that the tribal tats on someone born and raised in Mili-wau-kee are kinda silly and groan for the ones that can't cover up unless they wear a sack on their head. Right up there with ear gauges, although those make me want to yack.
I agree about the gauges. What the hell are they thinking? It tells me that they can only work at a coffee shop, or the late night shift at a gas station.

Why should anyone care about what someone else is doing with their body?
This.

As long as I don't have to rely on them to wait my table, fetch my coffee, or work for me, you're right -- I don't care. Ink away!

The moment they do any of those things for me, though, a tattoo provides a convenient and almost flawless method of detecting -- and defending against -- people with poor judgment.

It really is amazingly handy. Like I said, if we mandated it, it would be illegal.
You're on a board of pilots. Would you not get on an airplane with a pilot who has a tattoo? Some of the best pilots I know have tattoos. They can't be seen unless their shirt is off though. Actually, a lot of my very successful friends have tattoos and I'm not talking about "really good waitress" success either. I don't think it's fair to judge a book by its cover and that's exactly what this thread is doing.

I have a tattoo. And unless my potential employer said "Hey, let's go to the beach to see if you have any tattoos!" they'd never know. And no, it's not a tramp stamp.

I also necroposted this on a 2006 tatoo thread just to revive it to go with this thread.

Check out this sharp looking couple. Heh.

yma2upyp.jpg

"I don't think it's fair to judge a book by its cover and that's exactly what this thread is doing."

First impressions are just about everything. It takes a truly unique individual to overcome a poor or bad first impression, few can pull it off to the degree they might think they have, they never reach 100%.

This is why some of us would never wear shorts and flip flops to a job interview, we understand the value of a first impression.

So your ink is cool, you are a unique individual, and you do great in life, but not everyone can pull that off, actually few can. I think that is because very few intelligent people ever get tattoos, so the success pool is small among our tattooed brothers and sisters.

I hate to say it, but on meeting anyone new. we size them up, we profile them, and we make an approve or disapprove decision within just a few seconds of the introduction.

From those few seconds on, that person, no matter how great they might actually be, will forever have a black mark in our mind. They might over time become 98% approved, but they will never get that last two percent.....all because of a crappy first impression.

-John

The fact that this is a thread, shows how much the pilot community needs some young blood.

The fact that this is a thread, shows how much the pilot community needs some young blood.

So not liking tattoos is a sign of being old ?

Kind of funny in that the OP is probably one of the youngest kids around here :confused:

P.S. "Front Toward Enemy" on a fat guy's chest or beer belly, would be hilarious. It could serve double duty at the bar, too. ;)

One of my patients expressed it succinctly.
"There's a 45 year old man who is really mad at the 19 year with sheet-for-brains who put this ugly tattoo on my body."

I have a half sleeve that is slightly visible with a Tshirt on, hasn't been an issue yet. Nor has a customer mentioned it

-VanDy

Tattoos are just flat out distasteful - all of 'em. There are also those who don't make marks on their bodies for religious reasons.

Ryan

I also necroposted this on a 2006 tatoo thread just to revive it to go with this thread.

Check out this sharp looking couple. Heh.

yma2upyp.jpg

Even without the tats these two are totally felonious looking and I wouldn't trust them to serve my coffee.

My wife and I met on-line. One of the first questions I asked her is if she had any ink work. She said no. Had she said yes I would have ended our relationship prior to even meeting. My belief is this: if you have that little respect for your own body, you will be unable to respect me. May not be right but that's my opinion.

"I don't think it's fair to judge a book by its cover and that's exactly what this thread is doing."

First impressions are just about everything. It takes a truly unique individual to overcome a poor or bad first impression, few can pull it off to the degree they might think they have, they never reach 100%.

This is why some of us would never wear shorts and flip flops to a job interview, we understand the value of a first impression.

So your ink is cool, you are a unique individual, and you do great in life, but not everyone can pull that off, actually few can. I think that is because very few intelligent people ever get tattoos, so the success pool is small among our tattooed brothers and sisters.

I hate to say it, but on meeting anyone new. we size them up, we profile them, and we make an approve or disapprove decision within just a few seconds of the introduction.

From those few seconds on, that person, no matter how great they might actually be, will forever have a black mark in our mind. They might over time become 98% approved, but they will never get that last two percent.....all because of a crappy first impression.

-John

But there are some of us who have ink that is not visible. If you met me and I didn't tell you about my tattoos, you would never know unless we went to the beach. I have never worked on a beach and I'm fairly certain I never will, so my level of professional appearance is the same as yours. This is the same for a lot of my friends who have tattoos that can't be seen in interview attire or even casual attire. Yes, I have friend with full sleeves and they are beautiful artwork. Those friends are also police officers, so I suppose their appearance doesn't matter to you as long as they'll be there when you need them.

But there are some of us who have ink that is not visible. If you met me and I didn't tell you about my tattoos, you would never know unless we went to the beach. I have never worked on a beach and I'm fairly certain I never will, so my level of professional appearance is the same as yours. This is the same for a lot of my friends who have tattoos that can't be seen in interview attire or even casual attire. Yes, I have friend with full sleeves and they are beautiful artwork. Those friends are also police officers, so I suppose their appearance doesn't matter to you as long as they'll be there when you need them.

I'm talking about first impressions, not the results of an FAA physical. Even a police officer in his best blues and freshly polished shoes can lose points in those first few seconds when a first impression is formed if he/she has visible tattoos.

As far as the police being there when you need them, it is more usually the case that they are there when you don't need them, like when you forget to come to a complete stop at the limit line.

In the 30 years I have lived in my home, I have called for the police two times, but all I got was a call back the following day for an over the phone report. The one time the cops did show at my house was when my neighbor called to report a prowler. I had just finished running him off when the cops showed up half an hour after the call. But then this is San Diego, few expect much from our local police.

-John

I guess I am in the don't have a tatoo, probably never will camp. One of my wife's best friends died of breast cancer 8 years ago and she collected butterfly art work and told her kids to think of her when they saw a butterfly. So, my wife and another of her friends decided to get a butterfly tatoo. I was against it, but I also understood it was her decision and she felt very strongly about honoring her friend. It's on the top of her foot, very painful place to put it, it's hidden in tennis shoes, and really not all that noticable with sandals. My 19 year old son got one on the inside of his upper arm in memory of one of his best friends that was killed in a car accident. I kinda went ape $$it on him about this, I think he's too young to make a permanent mark on his body, it's not noticable in most cases, but I still don't like it.
As an old fart of 49, I know that the tatoo generation is coming up fast, pretty soon it won't affect peoples ability to get a job, but right now, depending on the company and the job, tatoos can be a huge negative. I know of a bright young man with full sleeve tatoos that works at an accounting firm, he wears long sleeve shirts everyday, summer or winter. :dunno:
I think neck tatoos are the best, it pretty much tells you who never wants a job working with the public.:nono: Face tatoos are pretty much a sign that you will be collecting some type of benefits from the government as long as you are alive. :mad2:

I have a half sleeve that is slightly visible with a Tshirt on, hasn't been an issue yet. Nor has a customer mentioned it.

That's the part people of ink (or whatever the PC term is now) don't get: NO ONE will mention it. Ever.

Same thing is true for the people with rivets in their faces, or plugs in their ears. People look, and laugh, internally. And that person just never gets called back for a second interview.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

As long as I don't have to rely on them to wait my table, fetch my coffee, or work for me, you're right -- I don't care. Ink away!

The moment they do any of those things for me, though, a tattoo provides a convenient and almost flawless method of detecting -- and defending against -- people with poor judgment.

It really is amazingly handy. Like I said, if we mandated it, it would be illegal.

I hope that when you are in my neck of the woods, you don't have to call 911.
Most of the dispatchers have tat's.

Tattoos are a great tool for instantly being able to detect a narrow minded judgemental *******.

I hope that when you are in my neck of the woods, you don't have to call 911.
Most of the dispatchers have tat's.

I have noticed over the years that physical appearance is not one of the criteria for government employment.

-John

They aren't permanent. Well, I guess they are in that the ink stays there, but they fade, stretch a little, and end up looking pretty tattered after about forty years. I got one when I was in the Navy. It looked pretty good when I got it. It has since gotten tired.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that's what I think of when I think "tattoo." Something with a story, membership in a subculture, a rite of passage, a tribute to family or a lover, or whatever. When I was a kid, tattooed people were a minority (mostly "outsiders"), and the tats were usually crude, old and faded, but meaningful. They were the equivalent of carrying some old picture in your wallet... intensely personal, but the owner would show it to anyone who was curious, and tell the story.

Nowadays everybody and their maiden aunt wants one, because it's trendy. It's at the point where it's no longer "edgy" or rebellious, or even very personal in terms of subject matter. I work in stagecraft and movies/TV...I've seen a lot of tattoos. A lot of roadies, in particular, collect them like postcards. But it is legit art, IMHO. Occasionally I see a really beautiful and creative tattoo, and I get it as simple adornment... but unless they are retouched fairly often, even the nicest ones look tired in almost no time.
Me, I hate needles, and I hate being trendy. If I ever get ink, it will be a picture of whatever aircraft I finally own (once I get around to that).

It's amazing the things you learn on POA. It seems that all people with tattoos are searching for jobs and folks without are all hiring managers. :goofy:

The only members of my family to ever get tattoos were forced to do so, with the ink assisting the tattooers to systematically murder them. I'll be thrice damned before I ever let one of those stinking needles touch me. The big guy had the right idea when he forbade them to the chosen.

I will add to my previous post.......

Tattoos are DISGUSTING.....

When I meet a gal for the first time I look them over,.... REAL close.. If there is a tat... she is history.... Is she smokes.. she is history.. If she chews tobacco.. she is history......

I don't care if she is the hottest looking thing on the planet and she can suck a golf ball through a garden hose... She is HISTORY in my book......

IMHO....................

I have noticed over the years that physical appearance is not one of the criteria for government employment.

'No visible tatoos in uniform' is a common requirement for police and sheriffs departments (at least the ones that can choose among applicants). For an officer who interacts with the public, that can be a 'genuine occupational qualification', for a dispatcher or lab-tech it is difficult to make that case.

Just wear scars. Much more pain, anguish, highly visible and meaningful than tattoos.

I remember years ago in Kentucky, I was at a small country carnival, people were paying money to see the tattooed lady. Such a woman was considered a freak back in those days.

Living in San Diego it's free, it doesn't cost a dime. You can just go to the beach and see all the freaks you want.

-John

Back