Tattoos

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
What's the attraction? A whole group of my friends my age from Texas went to get them today, and I just don't get it. Why the hell would you get something that will stay on your body forever when you are 19? I have no idea what I want in life, but I do know I don't want something that could potentially jeapardize future employment opportunities because its what all the cool kids are doing. Perhaps they are just more leveled out than me, but I know I don't want one. I think it's just a fad that will die out.

On top of that, my parents would literally kill me, but that's not what keeps me from doing it.

The human body in and of itself is a work of art, putting a tattoo on it is tantamount to painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. That said, there is one tattoo I have respect for (if earned), a pair of green feet tattooed on the butt.

The human body in and of itself is a work of art, putting a tattoo on it is tantamount to painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. That said, there is one tattoo I have respect for (if earned), a pair of green feet tattooed on the butt.

Putting a tattoo on my body would be like putting an Obama bumper sticker on a Ferrari.

Some folks need bling, I guess.

Even stupider, how about "grills" made out of precious metals in the mouth? I know it's supposed to be because if you're wearing it the rivals will just cut your fingers off, but if things get real bad in the hood, they won't have any qualms about ripping your teeth out of your skull with pliers.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I don't have any problems with tatted folk like most employers seem to.

Most folk that are heavily tatted seem pretty content with themselves and well-adjusted compared to the "socially compliant" stressed out folk who repress their every desire and have blood pressure numbers to match.

I kinda fit in with the "tattooed" crowd sometimes and people are suprised when I tell them I don't have any. I'm not terribly socially compliant, either. I just don't see the need to fit in with the current crowd.

Peacocking man. It works, although tatts are pretty mainstream. Don't have any always wanted to get L &R tattooed on the tops of my feet. Could never decide to do it proper or switched for extra laughs. 'What is your right side? So it is right'. You could argue with people for hours and have a good laugh.

tramp-stamp-motivational-poster-1177.jpg

Aw crud, now I have to get my tattoo removed. :)

So, I was a bit older when I got mine. No one noticed it last week because it is covered unless I am at the beach. Which keeps it from affecting my employability. It is a drawing I made, that reminds to be strong where I had personal struggles before and represented the successes I have had and wish to continue. Which I think goes a long way to avoiding buyers remorse. So, if you see my tattoo then can you ask me for the whole story:)

I agree that the tribal tats on someone born and raised in Mili-wau-kee are kinda silly and groan for the ones that can't cover up unless they wear a sack on their head. Right up there with ear gauges, although those make me want to yack.

What's the attraction? A whole group of my friends my age from Texas went to get them today, and I just don't get it. Why the hell would you get something that will stay on your body forever when you are 19? I have no idea what I want in life, but I do know I don't want something that could potentially jeopardize future employment opportunities because its what all the cool kids are doing. Perhaps they are just more leveled out than me, but I know I don't want one. I think it's just a fad that will die out.

On top of that, my parents would literally kill me, but that's not what keeps me from doing it.

It's the current fad and Tat's are in. I don't have any but would not rule out getting one either. There are some pretty cool works of art on people's bodies.

I like looking them, but no one would like looking at mine. :rofl:

There are some fine tramps with stamps! :yes:

I have an intense dislike for tattoos on women to begin with and an absolute, complete, uber hatred of those butt crack tattoos.

Why would any guy want to look down and stare and one of those things while he's busy flailing away?

David,

Even Jimmy Buffett agrees with you. In a long ago song he called tats "a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling".

Some are cool, some are ignorant, I don't have any.

I have an intense dislike for tattoos on women to begin with and an absolute, complete, uber hatred of those butt crack tattoos.

Why would any guy want to look down and stare and one of those things while he's busy flailing away?

:eek:

Pretty sure this forum just lost it's PG rating.

:yes:

:rofl:

Meaningless tats are stupid IMO, like the bro with a tribal tattoo (despite having no affiliation with any tribe) or a nautical star and not knowing the difference between a rudder and a keel.

Now the ones that have meaning, well they tend to not be a temp feeling, or a trendy thing, those are cool

They aren't permanent. Well, I guess they are in that the ink stays there, but they fade, stretch a little, and end up looking pretty tattered after about forty years. I got one when I was in the Navy. It looked pretty good when I got it. It has since gotten tired.

They aren't permanent. Well, I guess they are in that the ink stays there, but they fade, stretch a little, and end up looking pretty tattered after about forty years. I got one when I was in the Navy. It looked pretty good when I got it. It has since gotten tired.

Kinda like the dolphin tat on the 21 year-old that becomes a whale when she's sixty?
:wink2:

Meaningless tats are stupid IMO, like the bro with a tribal tattoo (despite having no affiliation with any tribe) or a nautical star and not knowing the difference between a rudder and a keel.

Now the ones that have meaning, well they tend to not be a temp feeling, or a trendy thing, those are cool

Pretty much how I feel about it except if someone wants body art for its own sake and it looks good, I am cool with that, too.

Laser removal is 10 times the cost and 10 times the pain (according to my wife who has chickened out on finishing up having hers removed) as getting one in the 1st place

She has probably 2 more sessions to be clean from it, but she doesn't seem to have a problem with what looks like a small bruise on her shoulder now.

I have the worst tattoo ever. Ever.

I got it when I was 15 and drunk. We made our own tattoo gun from a remote control car motor, a guitar string, and a mechanical pencil.

Not a day goes by that I wish I hadn't. I tried to use it as a "Don't do it, kids!" thing, but they were convinced that their tattoo would be better when they grew up....well, it might look more professional, but it'll still be stupid as hell.

Sort of like spray painting graffiti on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel

For every hot girl with crappy ink there are 10 wrecked girls with crappy ink.

For most I've seen around here it's more like spray painting your minivan with lumpy body work, yea it looks even worse, but it was F'd to start with lol

For every hot girl with crappy ink there are 10 wrecked girls with crappy ink.

For most I've seen around here it's more like spray painting your minivan with lumpy body work, yea it looks even worse, but it was F'd to start with lol

tramp-stamp-tattoo-best-demotivational-posters.jpg

Look at it this way, David:

In today's world, it would be illegal for us to mandate that stupid people mark themselves with permanent ink. Luckily, for us, they willingly do it, of their own free will -- making it SO much easier to spot and avoid them.

Why should anyone care about what someone else is doing with their body?

As long as I don't have to rely on them to wait my table, fetch my coffee, or work for me, you're right -- I don't care. Ink away!

The moment they do any of those things for me, though, a tattoo provides a convenient and almost flawless method of detecting -- and defending against -- people with poor judgment.

It really is amazingly handy. Like I said, if we mandated it, it would be illegal.

Maybe if I'd been one of the HMS Bounty mutineers and was drunk and AWOL in Tahiti that first night.....

:yeahthat:

Got one tat in 1973.....its pretty formless now....in those days only sailors,marines and bikers had tats....then the whole yuppie tat thing started about 15-18 years ago and every wannabe has one now, the commoness of them have made them boring.

Tattoos are like any fad, they are quickly adopted by the gullible and those who are easily led.

To me, and this is just my opinion, it is not the stamp of a tramp at all, it's the stamp of the stupid.

They were strongly discouraged from my unit in the military since they could be used against a captured soldier and his outfit. Just having a benign tattoo that said nothing military could still be used for a conversational opener by an interrogator.

Out in civilian land, tattoos are an excellent source for identification. Tattoos are a bad idea for those who think illegal activities would make a good career.

-John

I wouldn't call them the new fad, they have been around for years. They are just more socially acceptable. Go back 15 - 20 years, only cons, bikers, and "trashy people" displayed them. Alot more had them they just kept them concealed, like stated already only visible at the beach or something. Even more employers have lightened up on tattoo restrictions.

Some people get them for meaning, some becausse they like they piece of art, and some because they were drunk.

I have tatttoo's. my bad judgement got me retired before 40, 2 paid off houses in Camarillo, and a ton of toys. I know, hard to believe.

Back