Talking to ATC

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
How long did it take you guys to get comfortable with talking to ATC? I haven't started my flight training yet but talking to ATC seems like it would be so difficult at first.

force yourself to do it (ie flight following) and it gets easier real quick. I think if u realize that you can 1) always ask for clarification and 2) speak 'normal' English if you're not sure of the correct lingo, hopefully that calms your nerves a bit.

I'm sure lots of people will mention listening to liveatc often to get used to what you might hear.

How long did it take you guys to get comfortable with talking to ATC? I haven't started my flight training yet but talking to ATC seems like it would be so difficult at first.

The hardest part for me is just read backs. If I read it back instantly while its fresh in my brain, I forget what I just read back. Damn, I just read it back, what was that squawk code again!! If I jot it down real quick, I feel like I'm leaving them waiting too long.

Other than that it hasn't been an issue really, there aren't that many reasons they'll be calling you and you get used to the repetition.

Like someone else said, throw 'student pilot' on the end of everything and they'll typically make it bite sized for you.

It does take a bit to get comfortable since it's a new to you way of communicating. But fortunately, like all parts of flying, it becomes second nature with practice.

One good resource that might help is Bob Gardner's book, "Say Again, Please..." This will help you know what phraseology to use when and for what situation.

And as others said, reminding the controllers that you are a student pilot will get them to slow down and provide you a bit more help as needed.

Great question!! Keep asking them.

Log into Live ATC on your computer and listen as much as possible.... You will be amazed at how that will ease your fears and help you understand the lingo... IMHO...

I got my private last July and am just past 80 hours now. I fly out of a class Delta field, so I am VERY comfortable talking to the tower now. By the time I was ready to solo talking on the radio was a piece of cake. When I started, I was scared to death of talking on the radio. It gets easy real quick; especially if you do your training at a towered field. I just took my sister and her husband flying this last Saturday. They both commented to me that they could not understand anything that was said on the radio, but I could hear it all just fine. I guess it just takes a little getting use to, but once you have a little practice, it really isn't that difficult.

I have a friend that started, but never finished his private. He had a few hours of solo time. He flew out of a non-towered field for his training. He was very nervous about talking to the tower. On the other hand, I am much more comfortable flying in a towered environment now.

That's good to hear...I will check out the liveatc...I have been watching a ton of videos from MzeroA and Mr. Aviation 101 on YouTube

I got my private last July and am just past 80 hours now. I fly out of a class Delta field, so I am VERY comfortable talking to the tower now. By the time I was ready to solo talking on the radio was a piece of cake. When I started, I was scared to death of talking on the radio. It gets easy real quick; especially if you do your training at a towered field. I just took my sister and her husband flying this last Saturday. They both commented to me that they could not understand anything that was said on the radio, but I could hear it all just fine. I guess it just takes a little getting use to, but once you have a little practice, it really isn't that difficult.

I have a friend that started, but never finished his private. He had a few hours of solo time. He flew out of a non-towered field for his training. He was very nervous about talking to the tower. On the other hand, I am much more comfortable flying in a towered environment now.

I see your in AZ...I'm in AZ as well...can't wait to fly up to Sedona and Payson and Flagstaff, etc

I see your in AZ...I'm in AZ as well...can't wait to fly up to Sedona and Payson and Flagstaff, etc

I just made a flight to Payson on Saturday. It was fun!

I fly out of KCHD. I am switching FBO's and have my checkout in an Archer at Chandler Air Service on Friday. I'm doing the mountain checkout with them shortly thereafter and want to make some flights up to Sedona and Flagstaff for sure!

Awesome - noob question but what is a mountain checkout?

Don't worry about sounding stupid...they don't know who you are.

Each time I went up with my instructor, I did one more thing than before on the radio. Took me 4 flights to not need him with my request for simple taxi clearance. And so on, as the hours and lessons wore on. Am now talking to controllers getting flight following and talking with FSS on my solo cross countries (approx 35 hrs). It will come just like the rest of it.

Advice on listening to Live ATC is great. Try to absorb what the controller is saying and repeat it before the pilot does. I even got to the point where I was repeating my GPS on the road...it makes one into a better listener. I used yo have to listen to ATIS 4 times to get it all...now I hear it once and we're good.

One of the perishable skills of flying if I don't go up in a while are my radio skills (lost a bit during the holidays and bad winter weather, but gained it back again).

Don't be shy to learn and make mistakes.

The hardest part for me is just read backs. If I read it back instantly while its fresh in my brain, I forget what I just read back. Damn, I just read it back, what was that squawk code again!! If I jot it down real quick, I feel like I'm leaving them waiting too long.

I'm not sure what kind of transponder you have, but I always punch the numbers in my Garmin as ATC is giving me the squawk code then reply "Cherokee 6966W squawking 1234". It is in the radio that fast and I just read back the numbers showing in the display. It makes for a good verification that I entered it correctly, instead of repeat back followed be entering the code afterwards. You can repeat the number back correctly and still potentially enter it wrong if you do the repeat back first.

It is natural to be nervous at first talking on the radio. When you start learning to fly you usually feel like you are operating in overload mode and talking on the radio is one too many tasks to have on top of controlling the plane. In time you will build your skill in both handling the airplane and the radio.

One of the things that helped me get over being nervous on the radio was realizing that the voice on the other end was just a regular person that was there to provide assistance. Nothing really to get nervous about. They would not have a job were it not for pilots like us.

Our EAA chapter invited some of the controllers from our local class "D" airport to come make a presentation at the meeting one Saturday. It was great meeting them in person and getting to know each other a little bit. It is especially neat when you recognize that familar voice on the other end when you establish communications with them. From 2012 thru 2014 I was working a consulting job about 125 miles from home. The local ATC got use to my schedule and would be expecing me on Tuesday mornings and Friday afternoons. After I finished that contract and started working close to home, I didn't fly for a few weeks because my airplane was in annual and I was making some business trips on commercial flights. When I was flying home after the annual inspection, as soon as KCAE passed me off to KAGS I called Approach. ATC response was "Where in the world have you been? I was use to handling you every Friday afternoon and was wondering what happened to you." So I'm flying along and we are having a brief conversation about my job change. :) Needless to say ATC was not very busy that evening allowing us the opportunity to talk beyond the normal formal communications.

Bottom line is, yes you will be nervous at first and it will be a pain having to communicate while trying to fly the plane. With practice you will get comfortable with both over time. As others have already posted, just let them know you are a student and they will usually go out of their way to help you out and they will be more patient with you.

Good luck with your flying. And most of all, have fun! :)

Last edited:
Good advice above. I learned a lot watching youtube videos and listening to live ATC as well.

Spending some time in the pilot/controller glossary in the FAR/AIM(you DO have a copy of it, right?) is also helpful.

At the end of the day, remember that you're just talking to someone. If you don't understand what they are saying, ask them to clarify in plain english, as well as if you don't know exactly what to say, use layman's terms. It's not always necessary to use the exactly correct phrase or terminology every single time you key the mic.

One last thing: It's a "push to talk" switch, not a "push to think" switch. Figure out what you're going to say before you thumb that button:)

Who cares.

End of the day you're just talking to someone, asking permission for some things, telling them other things. Worst case they are going to figure out you're a student pilot and you're going to annoy them a little, life goes on.

Just talk, don't worry about not using exactly the right word, or saying too much, when in doubt speak up, the rest, well that will all come with time.

It does take a bit to get comfortable since it's a new to you way of communicating. But fortunately, like all parts of flying, it becomes second nature with practice.

One good resource that might help is Bob Gardner's book, "Say Again, Please..." This will help you know what phraseology to use when and for what situation.

And as others said, reminding the controllers that you are a student pilot will get them to slow down and provide you a bit more help as needed.

Great question!! Keep asking them.

Man it would be nice if there was an electronic version of this book. I checked "Barnes and Noble" and Amazon looking for an e-copy, and no luck. I have not bought a physical copy of a book in years. If I can not read it on my phone then it just does not happen.

I may have to break down and buy some physical media for things like this and some of the other pilot specific resources.

One good resource that might help is Bob Gardner's book, "Say Again, Please..."

THIS, plus Live ATC, plus pen and paper on your clipboard for writing down those instructions. It's ok to ask them to say again.

Since we are always learning can I still say Student Pilot? :D

"East podunk approach bugsmasher 12345 STUDENT PILOT flying a 172.......

I don't use ATC much mainly due to the fact most of my flying is local bug smashing. I did mention to my instructor I wanted to hit some bigger airports on my BFR to get some more practice. Nice to have an extra set of ears to catch anything you might have missed.

I second watching MZeroA videos. Good source for talking to ATC.

On a personal note, radio traffic was giving me fits. Now, Ive been a cop for 27 years so talking on the radio is not new to me. Why talking on the radio in an airplane was an issue, I have no idea. Watching MZeroA and ATC on YouTube really help. Now its no big deal.

Margy and I were both ham radio operators before we took to flying. We both learned at towered fields (me at BJC and Margy at IAD). We never had a radio issue.

Just imagine them in their underwear...

Take a tower tour. Then insist on doing ground radio work from lesson 1. Not in the air at first as you'll get overwhelmed with other stuff.

Honestly, it really wasn't so bad once I figured out the other end had regular people just trying to get a job done. It REALLY helped to hear Tower screw up, which happened several times during training (e.g., getting clearance to land while taxiing).

Use the "student pilot" thing if you feel you need it, not automatically. Train as you intend to fly.

Man it would be nice if there was an electronic version of this book. I checked "Barnes and Noble" and Amazon looking for an e-copy, and no luck. I have not bought a physical copy of a book in years. If I can not read it on my phone then it just does not happen.

I may have to break down and buy some physical media for things like this and some of the other pilot specific resources.

There is an e-book version... you were looking in the wrong spot. Check the publisher's site, www.ASA2Fly.com

Cool thanks for the tips...been listening to Live ATC and listened to KLAX and KPHX this morning on the way to work...so cool...sometimes I wonder if I should have been a ATP instead of an engineer ;(

I don't have reason to fly into controlled airspace very often, so I can still get a bit nervous even after 10 years as a pilot. One thing that helps allay my fears is hearing other pilots who are awful with their communications - makes me realize that I'm halfway decent.

Cool thanks for the tips...been listening to Live ATC and listened to KLAX and KPHX this morning on the way to work...so cool...sometimes I wonder if I should have been a ATP instead of an engineer ;(

Pick a smaller airport. That's not what it's like for a bugsmasher.

Palo Alto should be nuts later this week due to the Stupor Bowl.

Awesome - noob question but what is a mountain checkout?

Many FBO's will require you to have a special course, or special instructions on mountain flying before they will let you rent a plane and take it up North into mountainous terrain. There are a lot more things to worry about when flying up there. Density Altitude, weather and wind conditions around mountains are a few that come to mind. The FBO I'm getting checked out at requires some mountain instruction and a flight from KCHD - KSEZ - KPAN - KCHD with an instructor. I believe this is typically part of their insurance requirements, and it seems to be a generally good practice.

And feel free to ask all the 'noob' questions you want. There are no shortage of people here that will tell you what they think you should do. :D

Take a tower tour.

This is a great idea. I did a tour of the tower at KCHD. I had it scheduled two weeks in advance, and it just so happened it was the morning after this storm:

http://www.azfamily.com/story/29768179/storm-knocks-over-planes-at-chandler-airport

And the final tally was more than 50 planes that were totaled. It was a really interesting day to be in the tower for sure. I had scheduled the tour the day after I had a completely electrical failure while in the airspace controlled by the tower. It was also really cool experience to get to see all the people I had been talking to every day. They didn't look anything like I thought they would. :D

MAKG makes a good point. You mentioned you live in AZ. I am partial to KCHD, but there are seven class Delta towers in the Phoenix metro area. If that is where you do your training, you'll likely be flying out of one of those seven airports.

If you train out of, or fly into a class delta airport, ask for a tower tour on a slow day. It helps a lot to go up there and see the environment and have a friendly conversation with the controllers when they aren't too busy. Then when you call up on the radio you're more familiar with who is on the other end of the conversation, and what they are doing. My instructor did this with me on a poor weather day. We spent close to an hour up there, and I think there was only one plane that took off IFR while we were there. Got to see how they did their jobs, what they had to work with, and had lots of general conversation. They even showed us the light gun!

Just listening in...I will listen to smaller ones too.

Last edited:
force yourself to do it (ie flight following) and it gets easier real quick. I think if u realize that you can 1) always ask for clarification and 2) speak 'normal' English if you're not sure of the correct lingo, hopefully that calms your nerves a bit.

I'm sure lots of people will mention listening to liveatc often to get used to what you might hear.

AIM 4-2-1(b) says that you can use any phraseology you want to use. "Normal English" certainly meets that definition.

Bob Gardner

Many FBO's will require you to have a special course, or special instructions on mountain flying before they will let you rent a plane and take it up North into mountainous terrain. There are a lot more things to worry about when flying up there. Density Altitude, weather and wind conditions around mountains are a few that come to mind. The FBO I'm getting checked out at requires some mountain instruction and a flight from KCHD - KSEZ - KPAN - KCHD with an instructor. I believe this is typically part of their insurance requirements, and it seems to be a generally good practice.

And feel free to ask all the 'noob' questions you want. There are no shortage of people here that will tell you what they think you should do. :D

That makes sense - I graduated from NAU in May so I can attest to the winds in Flagstaff..especially in the Spring.

MAKG makes a good point. You mentioned you live in AZ. I am partial to KCHD, but there are seven class Delta towers in the Phoenix metro area. If that is where you do your training, you'll likely be flying out of one of those seven airports.

I will be flying out of Scottsdale...would have done Deer Valley, but that didn't work for various reasons.

Take a tower tour. Then insist on doing ground radio work from lesson 1. Not in the air at first as you'll get overwhelmed with other stuff.

Honestly, it really wasn't so bad once I figured out the other end had regular people just trying to get a job done. It REALLY helped to hear Tower screw up, which happened several times during training (e.g., getting clearance to land while taxiing).

Use the "student pilot" thing if you feel you need it, not automatically. Train as you intend to fly.

Just keep in mind that while you may be a student pilot, the controller may be a student as well. We don't come out of the womb with a headset on. ;)

While you're a student, your CFI may offer (or you can suggest), that you "pre-fly" every hop. Have the CFI play controller while you're on the ground before the flight. you can do it something like this:

You: "OK, start up and pretaxi checklist complete, ground 123.1 on radio#1, comm panel set to transmit on radio#1.

You simulate pressing ptt: "home field ground, cherokee 3359erXray at central parking with information Victor, taxi for VFR departure to the north."

CFI: "Cherokee 3359erXray, taxi runway 34left, via alpha, alpha1, cross 24.

You: "59erXray taxi runway 34left, via alpha, alpha1, cross24."

And so on till you've flown your chair all the way back to parking.

The real flight probably won't go exactly as you've simulated it. The controllers always find some way to surprise you. But, knowing what to expect is 2/3s the game when it comes to staying ahead of ATC and the aircraft.

Last edited:
get a simulator and fly around in the Pilotedge environment. ATC will become integrated into your flying skills in a short amount of time.

Back