Talking to ATC

How long did it take you guys to get comfortable with talking to ATC? I haven't started my flight training yet but talking to ATC seems like it would be so difficult at first.

It takes time - when I first achieved my cert I would avoid talking to ATC out of fear of bumbling what I was trying to say. I would file a flight plan with foreflight instead, rather then talk to them. Then I forgot to close a flight plan one day and had the dreaded missed call from Lockheed Martin - after that I just forced myself to do it.

Now, I am short, to the point, and sound like a professional airline pilot. One way to help you learn is to simply tune in and listen to ATC when you are near them; listening to recordings helps too - for me, the key is to know what you need to say as quickly and accurately as possible - you learn that very quick flying around NY Class B.

Awesome - noob question but what is a mountain checkout?

Because the mountains present a whole new set of challenges, most flight schools require you to have formal mountain flying training before they let you take one of their planes in that direction. The mountain checkout is simply a flight over the mountains with an instructor to ensure you can handle the unpredictable conditions that come with it.

Back