Talk Me Out of Buying

YKA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
YKA
Lets start with a fact, I don't know a darn thing about owning or flying a pressurized plane. Okay, with that out in the open, talk me out of buying, or into buying a pressurized Cessna P210. Possibly a 1982 model, but a P210 in general. Am I opening a can of worms here, I'll regret for the next few years, until I snap someday and light it on fire? Or will this be a blissful relationship with fond memories that last forever?

Depends, How much $$$ you have. Most problems in aviation can be solved with the direct application of adequate amounts of $$$. Never flown one.

Am I opening a can of worms here, I'll regret for the next few years, until I snap someday and light it on fire? Or will this be a blissful relationship with fond memories that last forever?
Why-Not-Both-meme.jpg

I think you shouldn’t do it because, you know, stuff, and all that.

just trying to do my part. :D

Reactions: YKA
I think you should do it because, you know, stuff, and all. :D

I don’t know your background or previous posts, so no bias. If you love constantly spending money on maintenance, than go for it. Read some Richard Collins articles on his C210P ownership, and see if he can talk you out of it.

After high insurance and maintenance costs,you could still enjoy the airplane. Good luck.

I don't know a darn thing about owning or flying a pressurized plane

Buy it. Who am I to talk a person I have never met out of buying something that they will either enjoy or dislike? That will either give them years of happiness or an eternity of buyer's remorse? That will produce memories that will last a lifetime or cause endless grief and sorrow? That will not harm their financial stability or will cause strife and hardship for year to come?

I say - Buy it. And post pics. We need pics.

Plane ownership comes with the highest highs and the lowest lows... Make sure to have a very healthy maintenance budget. Don't buy more plane than you need because it will cost more than you can ever plan for (unless buying new). Also you will need an insurance budget... rates are soaring lately.

Get one with the Vitatoe conversion. All problems solved and a speedster.
Article by Rick Durden originally in Aviation Consumer:

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/turbonormalized-p210-fast-efficient-quieter/

:yeahthat:

Or this: https://www.controller.com/listing/...79-cessna-p210-javelin-piston-single-aircraft

I don't know a darn thing about....flying a pressurized plane.

Piece of cake.. plenty folks here can teach ya in about 3 minutes, including getting in and out of the plane. Don't let the word pressurization scare ya any.

Since you asked... Don't buy it. You're looking at a very complex 40 year old airplane that is known for requiring a lot of maintenance. Getting to high altitude in a piston single takes a long time, the rate of climb is not good. The P210 has a reputation for running high CHT so you have to climb slowly, it's only worth getting high if you're going a long way and the wind is favorable. Richard Collins though so highly of his that when he was done with it he sent it to the scrapyard. Everything you own, owns you too, and this one's going to be demanding. The version you really want is the P210R, and only a handful were built.

Since you live in a mountainous part of the world, you may very well want one with a turbo, but unless you're going long distances frequently, avoid the P-210.

Owning is a love hate relationship. When you pay the bills you hate it, but when you go to fly it, and then you look over at POS rentals, you love owning.

The two best in owning a plane are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. (Taken from the boat community).

The second one is really crass. If it floats, flies or f***s it is cheaper to rent.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

If it floats, flies or f***s it is cheaper to rent

Haha I heard that from one of my private pilot CFIs.... still bought an plane.. married, too.... no boat, tho.

The two best in owning a plane are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. (Taken from the boat community).

The second one is really crass. If it floats, flies or f***s it is cheaper to rent.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

My answer to that has always been that if you don't buy the boat, you'll miss the two best days of your life.

We bought a boat six years ago. It was not an easy decision and I wouldn't say it was one of the better days of my life. On the other hand, many of the days we've been out on the boat have been some of the best days we've had as a family. If I tried to sell the boat, I'd get a lot of pushback from the rest of the family. In the spring, it would be very easy to sell the boat and it will have depreciated less than $15,000. However, we bought a new boat with simple systems, keep it in dry stack, and once a year we get the marina to service it, average cost about $400 per year. It's been in for unscheduled maintenance once when we got too close to shore and drew in some debris into the cooling system. It cost $125 and a phone call to get it cleaned out. a 40 year old pressurized 210 is most likely going to be the antithesis of a new 21 foot bowrider, maintenance wise. The boat I have is common, P210s are not, and we all know about what Textron has done with Cessna parts pricing.

Lets start with a fact, I don't know a darn thing about owning or flying a pressurized plane. Okay, with that out in the open, talk me out of buying, or into buying a pressurized Cessna P210. Possibly a 1982 model, but a P210 in general. Am I opening a can of worms here, I'll regret for the next few years, until I snap someday and light it on fire? Or will this be a blissful relationship with fond memories that last forever?
yes

Is this your first airplane?

No, i have owned shares in a 152, 172, Cherokee six, and Seneca lll in the past, as well as wholly owned a 1969 210J. My 210 was unpressurized, and going to a P210 both excites, and terrifies me at the same time. Are they maintenance pigs? A headache? Or will I be so smitten with her, I dump my GF and marry my P210?

Yes, i wrote it with humor because we all need to laugh, but I do seriously wonder.

Is it a lot more dials and crap when flying it as well, or just turn it on and forget it?

You need a floatplane and a flyrod where you live.
Not some silly, ancient 6-passenger, cross-country balloon-hull that takes you to Ontario :( or California :p (why would you want to go?).

Are you reading the replies to your own thread?

Did you buy it yet? Pics??

Weren't you just posting about being tempted to buy a turbine'd 185? If so and if that's a realistic purchase, pretty sure you have what it takes to own a P210.

I'm pretty interested in this conversation as I've decided that my long term goal in aviation is to own a P210 or a Malibu before I die, but I have literally no good reason to own one now - no good excuse or reason to fly, say, 500+ nm legs in all/most weather, and it ain't going camping.

FIKI pressurized piston speed in the flight levels oddly interests me more than turbines. Seems so cool. Love the Malibu Flyer Youtube channel, worth checking out. Speaking of which, if you're seriously considering a P210, go Vitatoe and/or look at Malibus. There was a great article recently in Aviation Consumer (I think) about owning P210s. And a scary one charting Richard Collins's ownership of one of (if not the) first P210 that came off the line. That one literally gave me an airplane-maintenance nightmare nightmare. Not even kidding. That one was a disaster, but the Vitatoe ones sound amazing.

You've inspired me to create my own "Talk me out of" thread, but since it's non-aviation related, it's in Hangar Talk.

If you want pressurized and cool factor, skip the P210 and get an Extra EA-400. Just don't think about the maintenance and parts availability, lol. I think I saw that Wings of Hope has one for under $200K.

n885aa_featured-ozv9ru6v4i3av6b4pjl0ek41pqnhptn16jj6lp0ypw.png

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Get a A36 or a B36 or T210.

Buy a good o2 system ...done.

Back