Take off / landings C182

bikefan987

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bikefan987
I have a PPL and checked out in C172. However, I have a friend who has a PPL and owns a C182. Can I fly left seat with him and take off / land if I am not signed off in the 182? He’ll be PIC.

As long as he is ACTING as PIC you can be sole manipulator of the controls and log the time, including the takeoff and landing. Being in the left seat doesn't matter, but he is taking a personal risk as acting PIC if he is in any way hindered by sitting in the right seat during time that he has relinquished the controls to you.

You can not act as pilot of command unless you have a high performance endorsement, even though you can log the time as sole manipulator of the controls.

What 2 said. Technically, your PPL is irrelevant in the scenario.

What 2 said. Technically, your PPL is irrelevant in the scenario.
True, but mostly because the OP's use of the word "fly" is vague with respect to the FAA.

You mentioned not being checked out. the FAA doesn’t care, but if it was a rental, the rental organization might, depending on their rules.

It don't matter ... fly whatever is available, but do take a look at how that worked out for this pilot:

Edit: Not really relevant in this case but I just find this accident an amazing account of brain fade on the highest level ... :dunno:

Last edited:
It don't matter ... fly whatever is available, but do take a look at how that worked out for this pilot:

Edit: Not really relevant in this case but I just find this accident an amazing account of brain fade on the highest level ... :dunno:
In fairness, it looked like they were about to give him a 182 (0:35).

Sounds like he shouldn’t have been flying much of anything without help.

Sounds like he shouldn’t have been flying much of anything without help.
:yeahthat: Just hard to noodle over what happened and how he didn't realize that he was in trouble until it was time to land the thing. Even after all of that he still may have gotten away with it if he would have gone around and made a better plan. A comedy of errors ...

:yeahthat: Just hard to noodle over what happened and how he didn't realize that he was in trouble until it was time to land the thing. Even after all of that he still may have gotten away with it if he would have gone around and made a better plan. A comedy of errors ...
Sounded to me like he realized he was in trouble shortly after takeoff.

The good news is that the doors look OK. Probably totaled the airplane and sold the doors for more than the insured value of the whole plane.

Back