TAA Requirements

Pinecone

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pinecone
I thought I saw a thread about this, but cannot find it now. But there was a letter from the FAA that I remember saying that dual G55s, with a 650 (or similar) and a 2 axis AP met the TAA requirements.

Am I imaging things?????

I am assuming that you are referring to dual G5's. My understanding would be that this would meet the TAA requirements, but somebody else would have to say if there is a letter from the FAA about this.

I found the letter.

Attachments

• Signed 4-5-19 American Flyers TAA Response Letter - AFS-800E.pdf
    226.9 KB · Views: 90
I found the letter.
Any link to where this letter can be found on the FAA site? I was having a discussion yesterday with a DPE about this same thing. I'd like to be able to find a copy of this on the FAA site vs that single PDF.

The person I found the letter for also called both American Flyers and the FAA person who wrote the letter. Both stated that the letter was authentic and accurate.

What is said in the letter is in line with the FAR on what constitutes TAA.

The person I found the letter for also called both American Flyers and the FAA person who wrote the letter. Both stated that the letter was authentic and accurate.

What is said in the letter is in line with the FAR on what constitutes TAA.
It's a bit odd that they consider a GNS430 a MFD but a KLN94 is not.

It's a bit odd that they consider a GNS430 a MFD but a KLN94 is not.
Did you read the letter?

"The term multifunction display infers that the avionics display can provide for more than just one operational information function. This could include providing traffic information, weather, terrain, radar, instrument approach procedures, airport information, or aircraft systems information. It does not appear that the KLN 94 has any other flight information feature, other than the GPS moving map."

Did you read the letter?

"The term multifunction display infers that the avionics display can provide for more than just one operational information function. This could include providing traffic information, weather, terrain, radar, instrument approach procedures, airport information, or aircraft systems information. It does not appear that the KLN 94 has any other flight information feature, other than the GPS moving map."
Yes, I did. I seem to recall the KLN94 has airport frequencies, which I thought would qualify as "airport information". It's been a while, but I thought it had other airport information as well.

Put another way, what does a GNS430 provide that a KLN94 does not?

Call the FAA guy who wrote the letter. I did not and I don't know a KLN-94 from a boat anchor.

And he does say APPEARS TO. IOW, he is saying he does not know the KLN-94 well enough to say that it DOES meet the requirements.

Back