Suspending GNX375 for HILPT

Walboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Walboy
How does one suspend a GNX375 to allow multiple turns in a HILPT? I know how on a GTN, but can't find a suspend button on the GNX. If I touch the procedure turn waypoint in the flight plan, it does allow for holding, but you have to "build" the hold. I don't see a suspend button there either.

The manual says to touch the OBS button, which is hidden under the direct to button, and then press Suspend, similar to the GTN. I just can't seem to find where to suspend.

Any suggestions?

Isn’t it the other way around with the GNX375, i.e. you clear the hold did get out of it otherwise you are in it forever? I think once you build the hold you get in it and the FP is already suspended until you exit the hold, no?

Isn’t it the other way around with the GNX375, i.e. you clear the hold did get out of it otherwise you are in it forever? I think once you build the hold you get in it and the FP is already suspended until you exit the hold, no?
No. He said it was a HILPT. That's designed for single time around to get aligned. It would be truly surprising for Garmin to reverse the default behavior for one unit.

Last edited:
No. He said it was a HILPT. That's designed for single time around to get aligned. It would be truly surprising for Garmin to reverse the default behavior for one unit.

You also might make multiple turns in the basic RNAV T design approach to lose altitude or working one's way down a stack, especially in a training environment with multiple airplanes shooting the same approach.

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

That looks like the flight plan page. I must be an idiot and didn't see the button. I will try again.
You were probably on the map. With no dedicated OBS button and less screen real estate, they put it on the flight plan page. If you think about it, it's a flight plan mod so it makes some sense.

You were probably on the map. With no dedicated OBS button and less screen real estate, they put it on the flight plan page. If you think about it, it's a flight plan mod so it makes some sense.
One plane I fly, the GNX375 is hardwired to an aera660. IFR, I leave the GNX375 on the flight plan page and use the aera for the moving map. Having a MapMX-capable display really helps with that small screen.

One plane I fly, the GNX375 is hardwired to an aera660. IFR, I leave the GNX375 on the flight plan page and use the aera for the moving map. Having a MapMX-capable display really helps with that small screen.
Like you, my preference is to have flight plan displayed. I like the "what's next?" situational awareness of a time/distance display. With newer units, I see target altitudes for procedures also. It also allows for quick changes - simple ones like discussed in this thread as well as more complex things like switching procedures, activating legs, etc.

In some cases like the G1000 or other dual MFD set up, I can have both a moving map and plan displayed at the same time. If not, map display is what my EFB is for (despite all the bells and whistles that and looking up info are my primary EFB tasks).

I like having the map view displayed in order to see other traffic in this particular situation. I'm in AZ and the skies are filled with flight school airplanes, many times stacked up holding at common fixes or waypoints. It's not uncommon to have four or five airplanes stacked at 500' intervals without any assistance from ATC and all chattering away on CTAF. It's an awful training environment, but hey, the weather is great.

I was in someone else's airplane demonstrating the capabilities of his recent avionics upgrade. Somewhat embarrassing when I couldn't figure how to suspend. "I KNOW it's there, I just can't find it :incazzato:" But valuable lesson at the same time in that it showed the owner that you really need to practice with the navigator and in his case the GFC500 autopilot with dual G5s to be proficient.

it showed the owner that you really need to practice with the navigator and in his case the GFC500 autopilot with dual G5s to be proficient.
There's a reason people like Gary Reeves have made a career of advanced avionics training. At a much reduced level, new avionic transition is what a good number of my aircraft owner customers come to me for. It's fun too.

Back