Sure I'll hold short of the taxiway

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
Yesterday I went for a flight to one of my favorite airports(KBAF-Westfield Barnes in Mass.) The flight went super smooth and was one of the best flights I've had in a long time because the high overcast made for some real calm winds. Made a nice landing and taxied off the runway. I was told to contact ground and did. To my surprise I was told to "hold short of taxiway Bravo( I was surprised because it was a pretty quiet airport.) I looked right and saw this fighter jet (I believe it is an F15.). I responded to ground " Sure I'll gladly hold short for the fighter jet!" Went and got my phone out and snapped these two shots of the fighter jet. Turns out I had to hold short for about 5 minutes because there was a line of 3 jets all making there way to the runway for practice. I eventually taxied well behind the jets into the resturant parking area and, while I was eating, heard the sound of the jets taking off and watched them do what I could only describe as "high climb rate" takeoff a using their afterburners. So what started out as a sleepy regular flight became pretty much one of the most memorable " hold short" instructions I'll probably ever get.

Unfortunately, I took off back for home prior to the fighters returning!image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One of those moments where all the training and $$ are worth it. Just to be a part of aviation and share it. Great pics.

One of those moments where all the training and $$ are worth it. Just to be a part of aviation and share it. Great pics.

This is exactly how I felt. Normally I get impaitient when told to hold short since it's wasting money-- in this case, I'd be happy to have held short for 10 minutes! I thought to myself yesterday, "How many people get to sit and watch F15's taxi in front of them and then taxi behind them?!?!" We are very lucky people!

No lie. When I was a controller the F15s w on base would flip us off up in the tower! Probably was a SOF as they also worked up in the tower. They'd turn off the runway so we viewed them from behind, and they raise and lower that huge speed brake up & then back down between the twin vertical stabs.Like this:

https://us.clipdealer.com/video/media/125345

Seems like too long of a hold to me. If it was going to take 5 minutes for them to taxi past, I’d think tower could have easily squeezed you in.

@jspilot that'd be a cool one to wait for, for sure!

One time my girlfriend and I had gone to Sporty's, and when we were taxiing for takeoff, a B-25 was ahead of us. I pulled up to the hold short line, shut my engine down, and told my girlfriend to climb out on the wing for pictures and/or a video. Unfortunately, unknown to her, her iPhone memory was full and even though we were just 50 feet from that B-25, we got no photos/videos of his takeoff!

Seems like too long of a hold to me. If it was going to take 5 minutes for them to taxi past, I’d think tower could have easily squeezed you in.

Depends on the taxiway layout, and whether the Eagles were on the taxiway already. IOW if the Eagles were already taxing perhaps the OP had to wait until they were past him. Look at taxiway B, and I think you'll see why.

Airport diagram: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1803/00446AD.PDF

I once got to sit on the taxiway as an F-4 Phantom took off in front of me. Cool experience being that close, especially when the light off the afterburners.

Love to watch them takeoff,usually try to get up to the observation deck, like the restaurant also.

Back in the 80's while enroute from KSAT to KORL ATC gave me a call saying I would have traffic passing off my left at my altitude. Sure enough a couple minutes later the Blue Angels pulled alongside, gear and flaps down, obviously matching my 160 knot airspeed. Wingman was about 50 feet off my left wing and they were in the diamond formation. Stayed there for about a minute, sucked up all the drag and were gone. Even though I'm a Thunderbirds fan it broke up the boring CAVU flight I was having! A memory nonetheless.

I remember years ago when the air show at KOLM was being held the same weekend I needed to fly over to the other side of the state. Returning we were cleared to land on rwy 26 as the Collings Foundation B-17 was taking off on rwy 17. My wife got this picture. Sorry the B-17 is a bit away, but that's how it went. One of those moments.
OLM-PUW-OLM June 2004 020.jpg

Then there was the time I was working the flight line during the air show and got this great self-titled picture:

DSC00857.JPG

There were two others behind this guy. I did not actually time it so maybe you are right, it could have been 3 minutes...I was to busy watching the fighter jets!

Point of order - it's a fighter, not a "fighter jet". Else you'll sound like a TV news moron, or an ignorant print journalist.

Point of order - it's a fighter, not a "fighter jet". Else you'll sound like a TV news moron, or an ignorant print journalist.
My old-timer friends tell me that the proper term is "jet fighter."

Yesterday I went for a flight to one of my favorite airports(KBAF-Westfield Barnes in Mass.) The flight went super smooth and was one of the best flights I've had in a long time because the high overcast made for some real calm winds. Made a nice landing and taxied off the runway. I was told to contact ground and did. To my surprise I was told to "hold short of taxiway Bravo( I was surprised because it was a pretty quiet airport.) I looked right and saw this fighter jet (I believe it is an F15.). I responded to ground " Sure I'll gladly hold short for the fighter jet!" Went and got my phone out and snapped these two shots of the fighter jet. Turns out I had to hold short for about 5 minutes because there was a line of 3 jets all making there way to the runway for practice. I eventually taxied well behind the jets into the resturant parking area and, while I was eating, heard the sound of the jets taking off and watched them do what I could only describe as "high climb rate" takeoff a using their afterburners. So what started out as a sleepy regular flight became pretty much one of the most memorable " hold short" instructions I'll probably ever get.

Unfortunately, I took off back for home prior to the fighters returning!View attachment 61352

View attachment 61351
Reminds me of the time I flew up to Napa to see the CAF's B-29 (Fifi). I was doing some pattern work, and at one point I was in the runup area while Fifi was holding in position getting ready for takeoff. The tower controller asked me if I would like to go over to the other runway to continue my pattern work. I told them I would prefer to stay where I was and watch the show!

I can live with that, being an old timer. But I didn't much hear that after the 70's.
I imagine that the need to differentiate must have gone away when prop-driven fighters were no longer commonly in service.

@jspilot that'd be a cool one to wait for, for sure!

One time my girlfriend and I had gone to Sporty's, and when we were taxiing for takeoff, a B-25 was ahead of us. I pulled up to the hold short line, shut my engine down, and told my girlfriend to climb out on the wing for pictures and/or a video. Unfortunately, unknown to her, her iPhone memory was full and even though we were just 50 feet from that B-25, we got no photos/videos of his takeoff!

Similar experience.
My buddy and I were flying out of DXR and encountered the B-17 "Aluminum Overcast". I asked if I could fly formation with them to get some pictures and they said "Sure". My buddy grabbed the camera and started snapping away. He didn't realize that the memory card was full.
No pictures, but a great memory. We managed to catch up with it a couple days later at OXC.
IMG_1951.JPG IMG_1952.JPG

Similar experience.
My buddy and I were flying out of DXR and encountered the B-17 "Aluminum Overcast". I asked if I could fly formation with them to get some pictures and they said "Sure". My buddy grabbed the camera and started snapping away. He didn't realize that the memory card was full.
No pictures, but a great memory. We managed to catch up with it a couple days later at OXC.
View attachment 61383 View attachment 61384

Watch it Shep, that second pic might get Winters all riled up! :D

dropped off a PnP dog in Danville VA and was told to hold short while a C130 did low passes. sure thing!

I remember years ago when the air show at KOLM was being held the same weekend I needed to fly over to the other side of the state. Returning we were cleared to land on rwy 26 as the Collings Foundation B-17 was taking off on rwy 17. My wife got this picture. Sorry the B-17 is a bit away, but that's how it went. One of those moments.
View attachment 61370

Then there was the time I was working the flight line during the air show and got this great self-titled picture:

View attachment 61371
Hey Ghery, you and I are at the same home field.

Last year we stopped at Boeing field for some gas. We were about to leave when we were told we'd have to hold at the FBO for a few. Didn't mind. Got a great video out of the deal of the blue angels taking off....

I taxied in front of a C-5 one time. I was nervous because that was sure a hungry looking plane that would of enjoyed a C-206 for a light snack....

I'm a member of Center O Flying Club. 2 C-172s and 1 C-182. A couple memberships open if you are interested.
Thanks. Checked out the website. That is definitely something I'll keep in mind. Still new , and not fully licensed yet.

Keep an eye out for me when you're there. We'll be the ones taxiing from the last hangar on the north end of the field

When working on the multi, they said we were going to have to wait a few minutes while the Harriers departed for a stadium fly-over.

So I stood on the wing of the Seminole and tried not to lose my hearing while taking a few photos. :)

upload_2018-3-31_13-12-3.png
upload_2018-3-31_13-5-12.png

This is photoshopped, but we get the F/A-18s at KAPA all the time. One of the local photographers merged two images, but honestly this isn't all that uncommon on the parallel runways, either.

upload_2018-3-31_13-16-37.png

This is just "every weekend" at KAPA... Joe out flying... or his kid... but on this particular day I was number 2 behind them..

upload_2018-3-31_13-13-31.png

And of course, all ground photos look better when @Clark1961 's airplane is in the glamour shot...

upload_2018-3-31_13-15-1.png

And not really military or a ground shot, but someone sent us these photos years ago -- they said a photo they saw of our airplane reminded them of something, so they went years back into their photo collection and found these. Someone had built an RC model of OUR airplane.

We never could find out who the person was, how they were related to or knew our airplane in its former life and former owner, nor why they chose it as the basis for their model, but the couple of photos we have of it are cool!

upload_2018-3-31_13-8-31.png

upload_2018-3-31_13-8-51.png

Thanks. Checked out the website. That is definitely something I'll keep in mind. Still new , and not fully licensed yet.

Keep an eye out for me when you're there. We'll be the ones taxiing from the last hangar on the north end of the field

You don't have to have your PP to join Center O. I was a student pilot when I joined. And our planes are in Charlie hangar, so they aren't too far from you.

Similar scenario where I was asked to hold short for 4 fighter jets.

Attachments

• 4585894C-8BAF-44F1-8B74-41415DFE0058.jpeg
    4585894C-8BAF-44F1-8B74-41415DFE0058.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 15
  • E72FCC57-CD93-40E5-8B01-48A3FBC3E813.jpeg
    E72FCC57-CD93-40E5-8B01-48A3FBC3E813.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 15
  • D42CB308-EE98-4A6A-B31F-B77AA1F01889.jpeg
    D42CB308-EE98-4A6A-B31F-B77AA1F01889.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 14
Back