Sun N FUn

A little unexpected challenging weather getting back from SnF last evening. Big deviation, ice and ridiculous headwinds. Enjoyed the two days down there. Lots of empty booths in the exhibition halls. We’re not back yet 0D4C7CAA-FCD7-4508-BA81-CB3B70C10E24.png

Attachments

• 7283EE16-257D-4488-A135-FFBBAB09B368.jpeg
    7283EE16-257D-4488-A135-FFBBAB09B368.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 16
Not sure where you were, but in the vendor hangars masks were maybe 1 person in 20, and nobody was hassling anyone about it. In the forums I attended on Wed in the CFAA building, mask wearing was probably about 1 in 10.

In the Avweb video, they said masks would be required in the enclosed spaces.
https://www.avweb.com/multimedia/votw/sun-n-fun-2021-smaller-show-but-covid-ready/

I guess what he meant was that masks would be encouraged or recommended.

I see this just about every business I go to. Signs at the entrance that say "required" but inside it's 50% at best.

I entered a hangar about 10 times throughout the week. One time I was asked if I needed a mask. One time I was told I needed a mask. The other times, they didn’t say a thing. Most vendors were not wearing masks.

Read all these articles about no crowds, but that changed with a vengeance on Saturday. It was packed to the gills for the Blue Angels. We drove there at noon, waited an hour in traffic just to get to parking, and wound up in the overflow to the overflow to the overflow lot. Had to walk about 2 miles just to get to the main parking. Wish I had flown in, because the aircraft parking areas were mostly empty.

Looks like Sun-n-Fun ended up being a huge success! As a volunteer, we just got the email below from Sun-n-Fun President John Leenhouts:

“ACE/SUN ‘n FUN Volunteer Team,
I cannot thank each of you enough for the incredible herculean effort you put forth as a truly awesome team! Calm in a sea of chaos, professional under pressure, you performed flawlessly and ensured that not only did our guests leave the same way they got here, but had an extremely enjoyable experience. The end result is that SNF21 is now in the record books as the most successful in SUN ‘n FUN’s 47 year history! Though the total tallies are not completely in, and will not be for several weeks, the preliminary assessments show that we exceeded our best year of 2019 by over $300,000 in direct sales! Additionally we had more aircraft and campers on our field and for longer periods than we have seen in more than two decades. Your preparation for overflow camping and parking saved the day and accommodated the largest single day (Saturday) attendance on record. Most importantly, all of this was executed in a extremely well planned out safe environment.
Also, you accelerated the fundraising effort for Project SkyLab and substantially closed the gap to attain our capital campaign goal. Our Birthday Bash on Thursday evening set a new record for direct donations to include $150K for a NOAA “Science on a Sphere”, a powerful STEM learning asset!
Never have we done so much with so few, a true testament to your tenacity in the face of adversity and the value of your diligent detailed prior planning! Please take great pride in your noble accomplishment, I am honored to serve alongside each and every one of you!”

Looks like Sun-n-Fun ended up being a huge success! As a volunteer, we just got the email below from Sun-n-Fun President John Leenhouts:

“ACE/SUN ‘n FUN Volunteer Team,
I cannot thank each of you enough for the incredible herculean effort you put forth as a truly awesome team! Calm in a sea of chaos, professional under pressure, you performed flawlessly and ensured that not only did our guests leave the same way they got here, but had an extremely enjoyable experience. The end result is that SNF21 is now in the record books as the most successful in SUN ‘n FUN’s 47 year history! Though the total tallies are not completely in, and will not be for several weeks, the preliminary assessments show that we exceeded our best year of 2019 by over $300,000 in direct sales! Additionally we had more aircraft and campers on our field and for longer periods than we have seen in more than two decades. Your preparation for overflow camping and parking saved the day and accommodated the largest single day (Saturday) attendance on record. Most importantly, all of this was executed in a extremely well planned out safe environment.
Also, you accelerated the fundraising effort for Project SkyLab and substantially closed the gap to attain our capital campaign goal. Our Birthday Bash on Thursday evening set a new record for direct donations to include $150K for a NOAA “Science on a Sphere”, a powerful STEM learning asset!
Never have we done so much with so few, a true testament to your tenacity in the face of adversity and the value of your diligent detailed prior planning! Please take great pride in your noble accomplishment, I am honored to serve alongside each and every one of you!”
Thanks out to you and all the volunteers!

Bill Scott, my neighbor and primary build advisor for my RV-10 won Grand Champion with his newly restored Cessna 120. It was truly a labor of love, he worked on it tirelessly for many years. It's far better now than it was when it came out of the factory.

SnF doesn't have the winners up yet, but here's a writeup the local paper did.
https://www.theledger.com/story/new...pilots-arrive-2021-aerospace-expo/7189565002/

2021-04-13 09.08.00.jpg

Bill Scott, my neighbor and primary build advisor for my RV-10 won Grand Champion with his newly restored Cessna 120. It was truly a labor of love, he worked on it tirelessly for many years. It's far better now than it was when it came out of the factory.

SnF doesn't have the winners up yet, but here's a writeup the local paper did.
https://www.theledger.com/story/new...pilots-arrive-2021-aerospace-expo/7189565002/

Here’s a partial list of winners:

Randy Vanstory - Reserve Grand Champion, Vans RV-10 N783V
Michael Foss - Exceptional Achievement, Vans RV-8, N800MF
Kenny Cole - Outstanding Workmanship, Vans RV-10 N113KC
Darwin Barrie - Outstanding Workmanship, Vans RV-7
Tim Huneycutt - Outstanding Workmanship, Vans RV-10 N107H
Jay Jolley - Outstanding Workmanship, Carbon Cub N128JJ
Rob Zettell - Outstanding Workmanship, Air Cam

Was looking at Winter Haven myself...
Winter Haven offers a shuttle that drops you off in the middle of the show... avoids the long walks to/from parking, and the wait for tickets

Back