Sun n Fun, Garmin ?

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Was wondering if Garmin talked about future products?
I personally am waiting for GDL-88B, the 88 with Bluetooth so it could feed my Ipad, so I can kill 2birds with one stone,ADSB compliance and Ipad support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd rather have a GDL-88W with WiFi, I have not had good luck with Bluetooth overall.

Was wondering if Garmin talked about future products?
I personally am waiting for GDL-88B, the 88 with Bluetooth so it could feed my Ipad, so I can kill 2birds with one stone,ADSB compliance and Ipad support.

Only thing that ticks me off is Garmin/dealers will NOT sell a GDL-88() outright. There's no way I'm gonna pay a shop to install one so the are SOL.

I'd rather have a GDL-88W with WiFi, I have not had good luck with Bluetooth overall.

Doesn't the 39 use Bluetooth, I figure copying its technology would be easier?

I would be happy if they just allowed the 496 to work with the GDL39 to display ads-b WX. I like the 496. The Aera 560 I bought just for ads-b WX compatibility sucks in daylight visibility to the point of being unusable. A 696 is too large for me. What else is there?

Doesn't the 39 use Bluetooth

Yes all the 39 variants have bluetooth.

Garmin is going to have to convince me that they have serviceable units. They were willing to leave me AOG over the blasted piece of crap Garmin audio panel. Swap repair only, no loaner, nothing, just pay $400 and wait. Oh, but they were willing to sell me a new panel for $1200 and fedex that to me.

I need to fly my plane, I need reliable and serviceable avionics.

Garmin is always reluctant to discuss future products at air shows. When I was purchasing portable products ,they would always say nothing in the near future which meant the next day.

I would be happy if they just allowed the 496 to work with the GDL39 to display ads-b WX. I like the 496. The Aera 560 I bought just for ads-b WX compatibility sucks in daylight visibility to the point of being unusable. A 696 is too large for me. What else is there?

Get an iPad. Put a glare sheet on it (and wear a dark shirt for good measure). Have something that's usable for a zillion things outside the cockpit and thus a much better value.

Garmin is always reluctant to discuss future products at air shows. When I was purchasing portable products ,they would always say nothing in the near future which meant the next day.

Pretty much normal for any company that makes electronics.

The only way to beat the system is to buy shortly after the product is introduced, that way at least you've gotten some good use out of it by the time the next generation comes along.

Get an iPad. Put a glare sheet on it (and wear a dark shirt for good measure). Have something that's usable for a zillion things outside the cockpit and thus a much better value.

This, 100%. I have a 496 and an iPad in my cockpit, I rarely use the 496. It's harder to read, smaller display, much harder to control (rocker vs touch screen), and it's a one trick pony, where I can do a thousand things on the iPad.

I'm about to install an autopilot and I will use the 496 for controlling that (until I get a 796 or whatever is latest when I upgrade), but otherwise the iPad running Garmin Pilot is my primary nav device.

This, 100%. I have a 496 and an iPad in my cockpit, I rarely use the 496. It's harder to read, smaller display, much harder to control (rocker vs touch screen), and it's a one trick pony, where I can do a thousand things on the iPad.

I'm about to install an autopilot and I will use the 496 for controlling that (until I get a 796 or whatever is latest when I upgrade), but otherwise the iPad running Garmin Pilot is my primary nav device.

Which is exactly why I'm waiting for 88B

Which is exactly why I'm waiting for 88B

IMO, it'd be smarter for them to do WiFI - But I doubt they'll do either, since they'd rather sell you two devices.

Better yet, though, just get a 330ES transponder to handle the Out requirement, then get the Aspen CG50 and a portable ADS/B In solution - The CG50 will take the ADS/B weather output via WiFi from the portable and display it on your panel-mounted Aspen gear. Now that's a great solution!

http://www.aspenavionics.com/products/nextgen/cg50/

(I wish they listed which portables they supported, and verified that the CG50 is legal for certified aircraft...)

I have 1 ipad mini currently running Xavion.
I understand there are some apps such as Garmin pilot, foreflight, and the like which I could add ads-b and use as an alternative to my 496/XM. I fail to see the point of doing this though as those apps have an annual subscription. Sure, I could stop paying for XM and would save a little but would be trading one payment for another on top of additional hardware to purchase.

I also run a TF700 with Anywhere map. I would really like the ability to display ads-b on the TF700 but it seems CV (who makes Anywhere map) has quit development of the software. Anyone know how to hack their software to include ads-b support?

Hell they often won't tell you about CURRENT products. I spent close to 45 minutes trying to get the ear of someone in the Garmin booth two years ago about what they were doing about traffic avoidance/ADS-B. The GDL 90 data link was dead in the water at that point. I was trying to decide whether to go with the Zaon or if some Garmin product (it turned out that they had no solutions rather than a full up TCAS at that point, but still...).

I have 1 ipad mini currently running Xavion.
I understand there are some apps such as Garmin pilot, foreflight, and the like which I could add ads-b and use as an alternative to my 496/XM. I fail to see the point of doing this though as those apps have an annual subscription. Sure, I could stop paying for XM and would save a little but would be trading one payment for another on top of additional hardware to purchase.

Hmmm, let's see.

Garmin 796 with GDL39-3D: $2,549 to buy, $1,480/year in subscription fees for weather and nav data. Does nothing worthwhile outside the cockpit.

iPad with Stratus: Starting at $1,198 to buy, $75-150/year in subscription fees for weather and nav data. Does damn near anything you can imagine.

Yep, that $75 or $150 annual subscription fee is a REAL bear. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, let's see.

Garmin 796 with GDL39-3D: $2,549 to buy, $1,480/year in subscription fees for weather and nav data. Does nothing worthwhile outside the cockpit.

iPad with Stratus: Starting at $1,198 to buy, $75-150/year in subscription fees for weather and nav data. Does damn near anything you can imagine.

Yep, that $75 or $150 annual subscription fee is a REAL bear. :rolleyes:

This is presuming I would buy a 796, gdl39, and pay for nav updates on top of the higher end XM plan. It is simply not the case.

I currently pay 34.99 / month for XM, roughly 420 / year.
I already own and like the 496. I also already own a gdl39 for that matter.

Yes, the subscription to something like a foreflight would save over the XM cost.

The larger problem is I just don't have the real estate to stuff another tablet in the plane. I suppose I could stop running Xavion, buy a stratus, pay for foreflight, etc. In that case I would not have WX anytime I fly with a passenger as I have to remove the ipad anytime a passenger is in the plane.

Just looked at stratus; it is $899. Also, it states: iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4+ strongly recommended. So, I guess my ipad mini may not work?

I suppose another option would be to get a stratus/ipad, pay for foreflight and run it instead of my TF700/Anywhere map which I have on a kneeboard. Of course that would require a purchase of an Ipad which would cost more and have inferior nits than a TF700. So it would cost $899 for stratus, maybe $600 for ipad air 32gb wifi; all in around $1500 hardware cost to save $270 / year. Suppose I could learn foreflight. Maybe that is a better option.

This is presuming I would buy a 796, gdl39, and pay for nav updates on top of the higher end XM plan. It is simply not the case.

I was merely trying to point out the cost of something roughly equivalent to an iPad and a ForeFlight subscription - Bigger screen, current data.

I currently pay 34.99 / month for XM, roughly 420 / year.
I already own and like the 496. I also already own a gdl39 for that matter.

Well, if you like Garmin, you could get a Garmin Pilot subscription on the iPad instead, use your existing GDL39 and have no hardware cost and still save money in subscription fees.

The larger problem is I just don't have the real estate to stuff another tablet in the plane. I suppose I could stop running Xavion, buy a stratus, pay for foreflight, etc.

One tablet is plenty... Though it would be cool to be able to run Xavion and something else simultaneously.

I have Xavion, but it simply isn't useful enough to bump ForeFlight. And you're right, mounting two iPads to use both, even minis, is kind of ridiculous.

Just looked at stratus; it is $899. Also, it states: iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4+ strongly recommended. So, I guess my ipad mini may not work?

iPad Mini works fine. A first-gen iPad mini is almost exactly equivalent to the iPad 2 in terms of hardware, just smaller.

Though it would be cool to be able to run Xavion and something else simultaneously.

I have Xavion, but it simply isn't useful enough to bump ForeFlight. And you're right, mounting two iPads to use both, even minis, is kind of ridiculous.
Did they ever get Xavion to run in the background with the ability to call it up in an emergency by just clicking an icon? I thought I read sometime back that Austin was working on that possibility.

Can i-pads or androids run 2 apps concurrently with the ability to toggle between them?

Did they ever get Xavion to run in the background with the ability to call it up in an emergency by just clicking an icon? I thought I read sometime back that Austin was working on that possibility.

Can i-pads or androids run 2 apps concurrently with the ability to toggle between them?

They did add that to Xavion a while ago, IIRC.

Both iPads and Androids can run multiple apps. On the iPad, just double-tap the home button to switch to a different one. Be aware that apps that are resource hogs may get killed when they're in the background. Both ForeFlight and Xavion use a lot of horsepower so I'm not sure if those two would play nice together. Worth a test next time I go flying, I guess...

They did add that to Xavion a while ago, IIRC.

Both iPads and Androids can run multiple apps. On the iPad, just double-tap the home button to switch to a different one. Be aware that apps that are resource hogs may get killed when they're in the background. Both ForeFlight and Xavion use a lot of horsepower so I'm not sure if those two would play nice together. Worth a test next time I go flying, I guess...
Sweet.
I just figured out I can run multiple apps on my TF700 also by double tap home or by tapping a window icon on the bottom status bar.

I can run Anywhere map for charts like I like and Avare which is now ads-b compatible with a couple receivers. Unfortunately Avare is not gdl39 compatible at present, at least I don't think it is.

Sweet.
I just figured out I can run multiple apps on my TF700 also by double tap home or by tapping a window icon on the bottom status bar.

I can run Anywhere map for charts like I like and Avare which is now ads-b compatible with a couple receivers. Unfortunately Avare is not gdl39 compatible at present, at least I don't think it is.

Doubtful it will be. Garmin is keeping things close to their chest, as they always do. Appareo has not published an API for the Stratus either. The rest are fighting for market share and trying to work with all the other apps. I think WingX works with more hardware than anyone else, but not Garmin's or Appareo's.

Back