Sun N Fun 2018

Couple more questions. I have tiedowns but what do I tie them to? Does LAL have thousands of eyehooks screwed into the turf? If not I guess you bring 3 of your own? What do people use?

Also I plan on leaving LHZ early enough to arrive for the procedure by 11am on Fri and depart LAL Sunday before the airport closes for the airshow. Sound reasonable?

Couple more questions. I have tiedowns but what do I tie them to? Does LAL have thousands of eyehooks screwed into the turf? If not I guess you bring 3 of your own? What do people use?

Also I plan on leaving LHZ early enough to arrive for the procedure by 11am on Fri and depart LAL Sunday before the airport closes for the airshow. Sound reasonable?
Yes, those times will get you in and out of the airport with no problem. You have to bring your own tie down stakes, not just the ropes. Most people like the "Claw" tie downs.

https://www.amazon.com/Claw-C100-Ai...&qid=1520425374&sr=8-3&keywords=Claw+tie+down

Thinking about going, what days are best? Probably flying in commercial and "camping" in a hotel.

I like the rebar idea, cheap, effective. I could bent the tip into an L and hammer it into the ground...x 3. The article doesn't say how long, I'm thinking around 2' ???

@write-stuff beautiful DC-3! where are you guys flying that in from? I'll be sure to stop by!

@Matthew K there's lots of hotels within a 15 minute drive. I actually just made my reservation the other day at a courtyard about 3 miles away from the airport for a very reasonable price given the event.

@2Airtime2 as others have mentioned you need to bring your own anchors, they do sell them there, but can sell out, and I wouldn't rely on them having it. I ordered something from sports back in 2010 and have been using em ever since!

@PaulS Depends. Most people usually do the weekend days. I always do Saturday stay overnight into Sunday, because the saturday airshow usually has the best display and the airport is usually busiest then. Also in my opinion the night airshow is not to be missed! And they only do that wed night and saturday night.

I'm looking so forward to another sun n fun! lets all hope for great weather!!!

Schedule set, arriving DAB on Tuesday, at the Show Wed/Thurs, maybe Friday if the weather holds, and then heading north on Saturday.

Looks like I’ll be going as long as weather is good on the 13th. Flying down with 2 other Commander’s 122/114’s. We will be camping in the overnight parking area.

I will be flying single unless someone wants a ride. Will be returning 15th or 16th.

Hi Mick! Long time.... I'm still up:) Going to SNF, Fri-Sun. Same plane, same tent with, my wife. We will have a seat for you at our table & hope to see you there
That would be so awesome but it is looking like I will be going to Canada for the first two weeks in April for work. We were originally planning for it to be the last two weeks of March (now) but contract paperwork and work permit paperwork has pushed things back a couple of weeks. I am so disappointed because I was really looking forward to getting away and flying down to Lakeland. I had even been planning to fly on down the west coast of Florida after the airshow and make my way home up the east coast to extend the trip a few days. That old four letter word "WORK" had to interfere. I really enjoyed meeting up with you and your wife in 2016 and wish we could get together again. If the Canada plans change, I will let you know. Enjoy the airshow and remember us poor guys that are stuck having to work.

View attachment 60753 I made my own for about $40
DAVE,
I don’t think the spike type will work very well in the predominantly sandy soil, unless they go deep into the ground. I know the so called “doggy style” is the least preferred, but I’m not sure if there talking about the industrial use type the go about 2 feet or more in the ground.
Sorry, from KSNH. Savannah Hardein County Airport. I will be heading to Enterprise Al to meetup with a couple other planes then head out together to Sun-In-Fun.

Planning to depart KFDK on Monday 9 April if the weather will cooperate. I haven't decided where I'll make a fuel stop - likely KFLO or KRBW. Flying into KBOW (they took good care of me in 2016), renting a car and staying in a Lakeland hotel (reservations since Dec). My wife will fly down later in the week, then we're off to KMTH. Home... eventually...

If anyone is flying back up the east coast on Saturday or Sunday and would like a safety pilot please let me know!

How often does the tram arrive at the aircraft camping stops? Every 10 mins? 30 mins? ??

I have shipped my UK microlight (G-BZIM) to Florida and will be flying it into SunNFun Paradise city and camping under the wing for a few days (before attempting a double transcontinental flight to California and then to New York)....
Is there anything to be aware of (outwith the Notam contents), with regards my arrival into Paradise City and camping in the light aircraft area?

Michael

Two weeks from today I hope to be waking up in a tent (for the 1st time in 25 yrs) at my 1st annual trip to Sun and Fun!!!! Still planning on being in the air from NC at 5am on the 13th. Hoping for good weather.

Leaving Covington KCVC in the 414 Friday morning around 7:30am. Will leave SnF after the airshow on Saturday. Could take one more, so if there's anyone in Atlanta area interested in going send me a message. Plan on camping Friday night.

Is there anybody over there now? How are the crowds?

Planning to be out there tomorrow. Signed up for one of the wings classes at 1:00. Otherwise will be ogling planes with my son or shopping for a new headset.

Did the Tbirds cancel?

Planning to be out there tomorrow. Signed up for one of the wings classes at 1:00. Otherwise will be ogling planes with my son or shopping for a new headset.

Did the Tbirds cancel?

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Air Force is sending another jet team ,to replace the T birds.

Heading to the airport in a few minutes...see y'all around lunchtime!!

Bummed to see Sunday’s forecast!!!

The Saturday night airshow is a must for me but I don’t want to get stuck there Sunday

Definitely don’t want to miss flying in though! Think I’m going to fly in today (Friday) for the day. Then on Saturday just drive over and spend the whole day (I’m only a 1h45m drive) so it’s nice to have this option!

We attended today and are staying at a hotel about 30 min away. Is the night airshow worth it to drive back?

Went to the Uavionix booth to check in the status of the wingtip and tail light mount adsb. The certificated version for the wingtip will come out first, maybe by oshkosh. The tail mount a bit later. Both around $1800. He said one of the final sticking points is the issue of having to turn on the nav lights vs putting on its own breaker. They are trying to see if a placard will suffice.

We attended today and are staying at a hotel about 30 min away. Is the night airshow worth it to drive back?

My father has been doing airshows since the 60's, me since the 70's. When we saw our first night show at SNF a few years ago, we both thought it was one of the neatest things we had ever seen. And this was viewing from the 'back', eating Sonny's BBQ in the parking lot of the Hilton Garden Inn, listening to commentary on the radio.

My father has been doing airshows since the 60's, me since the 70's. When we saw our first night show at SNF a few years ago, we both thought it was one of the neatest things we had ever seen. And this was viewing from the 'back', eating Sonny's BBQ in the parking lot of the Hilton Garden Inn, listening to commentary on the radio.
Thanks! Might catch it.

Anyone know why the airport closed Wednesday around 10:30 AM? Friend was inbound and diverted to Zephyrhills. He rented & drove - said the hotels were reasonable.

Went to the Uavionix booth to check in the status of the wingtip and tail light mount adsb. The certificated version for the wingtip will come out first, maybe by oshkosh. The tail mount a bit later. Both around $1800. He said one of the final sticking points is the issue of having to turn on the nav lights vs putting on its own breaker. They are trying to see if a placard will suffice.
So how's that supposed to work for planes with WT strobes already? You put a mis-matched strobe on the left tip & leave the right alone? Wonder why they didn't put in on one side & out on the other rather than back on the tail?

The other thing I've noticed with my setup (Garmin Pilot, the iPhone & BT from my GDL39) is that occasionally the iPhone running GP drops the connection repeatedly. Someone else I know said the same. I wonder about the reliability of BT out on a wingtip.

Agree. Waiting for the tail light version.

Back