Sun 'n Fun 2012

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
Less than 2 months away now... Because February is a short month. :D NOTAM booklet ordered! So who all is going and what dates??

If I go, it will be as an exhibitor. Renegade Light Sport, whenever. To be determined.

I have it on my calendar but will ultimately depend on my work schedule when I can get down there. I have never camped with my plane and thought I would give that a try this year since it is so hard to find rooms around Lakeland.

I will be there through Saturday this year. I will most likely have a hotel room, so if soon one needs a place to crash or shower, hit me up.

I just got my vacation time approved... I'm going to Sun and Fun!! :D Heart thumping a little bit already thinking about the arrival procedure... I can fly Ripon/Fisk paperless from memory, but have never flown into Lakeland during the show and don't have a copy of the NOTAM yet, although I have ordered one. Has anyone flown this arrival before (and can tell me a trick or two about it)?

Unfortunately, I have to miss Airventure this year because of another commitment with my scrapbook club, so I'm thinking this will be a fun substitute and something a little bit different! :D

Last edited:
Actually it's a very straight forward piece of cake. Read the NOTAM, keep your head on a swivel and you'll be good to go.

Will be there as an exhibitor at the Hansen Air Group booth, the Light Sport Mall, probably some time at the Renegade booth and maybe at KGIF doing demo rides.

I will plan on going as well if things look good by then. I havent been since 2010.

I can fly Ripon/Fisk paperless from memory, but have never flown into Lakeland during the show and don't have a copy of the NOTAM yet, although I have ordered one. Has anyone flown this arrival before (and can tell me a trick or two :D

This is not my video but it is great for giving you a good feel for the approach. When you look at the NOTAM along with the video you should have no problems.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=Wnwz6YwSaqY

Go here to get a copy of last years NOTAM

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/GettingHere/flying/arrivalProcedures.aspx

Last edited:
I watched that video twice! Where would we be without You Tube and people who are willing to velcro a video camera under one of their wings. That was amazing... just like being there. Thanks for posting that link. The other one (2011 NOTAM) doesn't work anymore, but just from the video and my year old JAX sectional, I could follow along and see just how the approach would work. :D The group I'm flying to Florida with is most likely going to be hanging out at Zephyrhills (KZPH), but I want to fly the approach at least once during the week, just so I can say that I did it. :goofy:

I plan on driving up from Fort Myers FL - unless someone wants to share some expense and fly :)

This will be my first time to this show and I;m looking very forward to it! :D The friends I'm with will be meeting up at the FAA building on the grounds in the afternoon at 1pm for lunch... anyone from PoA can come and join us if you are in that area at that time!

What Day are you planning on being there Flygirl? Not sure what days we will be there. If I can do anything to help anyone out while here just let me know. I am only about 10 miles away from the field.

I got my private last September and haven't been to a SNF or OshKosh yet. Would it be worth it to come down for a Thu-Sun flying a skyhawk from DC? Where do most people stay? Do you have to camp to get the best experience? I am not sure I have the equipment/camping skills. Thanks for any advice.

There are lots of motels around and probably a person would be better off being at one of the area airports and renting a car or catching a ride to show. Allmost every airport around either has people going to show everyday or wouldn't mind arranging rides. I wouldn't be afraid of flying a 172 down.

What Day are you planning on being there Flygirl? Not sure what days we will be there. If I can do anything to help anyone out while here just let me know. I am only about 10 miles away from the field.

We should be there Tuesday at the very least, probably at least one other day depending on the group mood. Sun 'n Fun is only one of the places we're planning on going during the week! :D

Any camping gear deficiency can easily be fixed by bumming a car ride to a WalMart. :)

I got my private last September and haven't been to a SNF or OshKosh yet. Would it be worth it to come down for a Thu-Sun flying a skyhawk from DC? Where do most people stay? Do you have to camp to get the best experience? I am not sure I have the equipment/camping skills. Thanks for any advice.

I typically go every year with a bunch of other planes from the NJ area. Wed thru Sat or Sun is our typical timing though we have been known to hit St. Augustine and then Key West earlier in the week and then head for Sun-N-Fun.

We typically use Winter Haven (KGIF). They have lots of parking and rental cars available. We typically get a hotel in Davenport which is about 30 minutes away from Lakeland (but a very easy direct drive) as it can be difficult getting into a local restaurant at the end of the day without a very long wait plus the farther away you are the better the hotel prices and availability. If you are flying down from DC, consider stopping at KEYF both on the way down and on the return, their fuel prices are usually decent and they typically offer free hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, etc. during Sun-N-Fun week for folks flying to and from the event.:D

Last edited:
Coming over from the United Kingdom and will be visiting Sun 'n Fun for the third year in a row.

Also doing my PPL training course at Tailwheels ect. based over at KGIF (Winter Haven) during my visit. So quite an exciting fews weeks coming up.

Hopefully in 2013 I will achieve my ambition of Flying in to Sun 'n Fun instead of driving in....

I'll be at SnF Wed - Saturday this year. Staying at a Hampton Inn. Looking forward to another year there. I hope that I can meet some of you there.

I am planning on taking my Arrow II from KTMB to KLAL on Tuesday 3/27 and returning Thursday 3/29. Camping under the wings. My son, my friend, and I so far. Still looking to fill the 4th seat.

If anyone comes to down early KPCM is having the second year of Planes trains and automobiles. Free admision. Didn't make it last year but they have a car show, Model trains and airplanes and plane rides for kids. Sat Mar 24 from 10 to 3. If I can help out anyone with a ride or anything let me know. I live about 10 miles from the show. (Well at least in the winter).

Do they really charge a minimum $100 to airplane camp....?....:yikes:
What if you want to stay for one night and move on?

I made AV last year for the first time and will SnF this year for a first (I'll be at AV again too)! Looks like a Fri am arrival and Sun PM departure.

Similar note: any one remember if Foreflight was offering any special deals last year at SnF? I'm looking to upgrade from Skycharts and buy a case for my Ipad but wonder if I should hold out until then (better deals offered)?

Do they really charge a minimum $100 to airplane camp....?....:yikes:
What if you want to stay for one night and move on?

No. $25 per night for GAC (General A/C Camping) and they do not mind if you pitch two tents for that price. Called them last week.

Funny, their web site claims that camping is only for members of the Florida Air Museum, or some such. That's why if I go, I'll be staying with some relatives.

Funny, their web site claims that camping is only for members of the Florida Air Museum, or some such. That's why if I go, I'll be staying with some relatives.

Caution, big text below (it was bigger before I hit Submit). :wink2: AOPA or EAA members are OK to camp.

AIRCRAFT CAMPING INFORMATION

GAC CAMPGROUND RATES

General Aircraft Camping - GAC (west end of runway 9/27)

All SUN ’n FUN camping is reserved for Florida Air Museum (FAM) and other Aviation Member Associations members only). To join the Florida Air Museum, click here.

The (GAC) General Aircraft Camping Registration Building is located just west of the RV Campground along the airside fence.

The Aircraft campground is open from March 27, 2012 through April 1, 2012.

So you join EAA, camp, get discounted admission to both SnF and OSH, and life is happy. ;)

Too late, already hit up some relatives. Good to know I can set up a canopy and some chairs though. We'll see if the wx cooperates. Storms moving in today. Spring storms tend to set up housekeeping here.

Does the Vintage Aircraft Camping save any money over the GAC? Is there someone I need to call to set it up?

The 5 day outlook for next week is looking really REALLY good here, David!! :D Just don't forget to read the NOTAM for the Lake Parker arrival, have a copy of it with you in case you need it for reference, and don't expect to do one of your famous low passes over 9/27. :nono: Trust me, the job of clearing all the dogs and babies off the runway will already have been taken care of for you prior to your arrival.

I'll be there tuesday to sunday. hooray!

Tuesday - Thursday for me and GAC. Arrow 4474T. If you see us, say Hi.

Then Friday to Sunday in the Big Apple. Two (2) RT fares KFLL - KLGA for $110 total - thank you $9 Fare Club :yesnod:

Last edited:
I'm at the show Thursday - Saturday for sure, and maybe Wednesday too, but that's up the air still. Hope to see some of you there. Hit me up for my cell # if you want.

Well, for anyone who is at the show on Wednesday... I'd like to plan on a POA meet- up at the Sunset Grill at around 12:30pm for lunch! You know you have to eat sometime during the day. Hope to see some of you there! :D

Well, for anyone who is at the show on Wednesday... I'd like to plan on a POA meet- up at the Sunset Grill at around 12:30pm for lunch! You know you have to eat sometime during the day. Hope to see some of you there! :D

Sound good.

Back