Sun and Fun Arrival times

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
I plan on flying into KLAL on Wednesday April 1, not considering weather, when is the airport open to arrivals? Yes I've been through the NOTAM twice now.

"The airport is CLOSED during aerobatic demonstrations and nightly from 1930-0600 EDT (2330-1000 UTC) March 30 through April 06, except for Paradise City."

6th page of the notam

"The airport is CLOSED during aerobatic demonstrations and nightly from 1930-0600 EDT (2330-1000 UTC) March 30 through April 06, except for Paradise City."

6th page of the notam

So it is still open during "airshow operations", listed on page 7?

0600- to start of air show at 1330 is the window.
No -- It's closed daily during the airshow times as listed.

No "The airport is CLOSED during aerobatic demonstrations and...."

Thank you.

If I'm reading it correctly, there is also a window from 17:30 until 19:30 too, although it says it generally takes an hour after the airshow is over for the airport to be opened to arrivals due to departures, would expecting to get in during that window be unrealistic?

Yes you are reading it right and no not unrealistic but just be prepared to divert worst case to someplace like Plant City, Zephyrhills, Bartow, etc if for some reason the window were to close.

Yes, just like Oshkosh, they have a window AFTER the air show. Usually arrival ATIS will let you know when open, the air show end will vary a few minutes.

If you don’t see any others, then you start getting yelled at, bug out.

If I'm reading it correctly, there is also a window from 17:30 until 19:30 too, although it says it generally takes an hour after the airshow is over for the airport to be opened to arrivals due to departures, would expecting to get in during that window be unrealistic?

people do arrive after the airshow I’ve seen it several times. But keep in mind Saturday after the airshow is a HUGE departure window for a lot of people and getting in may be challenging. I’d definitely recommend arriving in the morning. Keep in mind Saturday they usually have a balloon launch in the airport that’s before airport open time, but if it’s foggy it could delay the balloon launch which delays arrivals. I’d always recommend some extra gas on board when flying into sun n fun just Incase you encounter delays, which after 10 years straight of flying in, does happen!

people do arrive after the airshow I’ve seen it several times. But keep in mind Saturday after the airshow is a HUGE departure window for a lot of people and getting in may be challenging. I’d definitely recommend arriving in the morning. Keep in mind Saturday they usually have a balloon launch in the airport that’s before airport open time, but if it’s foggy it could delay the balloon launch which delays arrivals. I’d always recommend some extra gas on board when flying into sun n fun just Incase you encounter delays, which after 10 years straight of flying in, does happen!

Thanks Justin, my plan right now is to leave Massachusetts Wednesday morning, I’m doubting I could make the 1:30 window. I’m thinking get close, then try for the evening window. Or come in on Thursday morning.

If the field is ifr on Wednesday afternoon (and no convective activity) does anyone know if they will they accept ifr arrivals during those times?

Lots of ‘what if’s’ with the travel from MA. Close the distance & remain flexible.

Lots of ‘what if’s’ with the travel from MA. Close the distance & remain flexible.

Yes, I get that, weather can be a big deal. I'm hoping for one of those whole east coast highs with tail winds. Time will tell and I have no problem stopping.

If I did that, I would aim for maybe an 18:00 arrival. If you are too early or want to give yourself a healthy buffer, you could land nearby first (e.g. KZPH), then time the last short hop as needed.

What I do - I have around 1,000 NM to fly from Iowa - is I arrive in Florida at least a day before, and then go to Lakeland in the morning. That seems less stressful and more predictable.

- Martin

Back