Summer Movies 2017

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
What movies do you guys think are worth spending the hard won schmeckles on to see in theatre this summer?

And what's coming out on disc and stream that's worth the rental?

Dunkirk? It's got piston powered planes.

Yeah looking at seeing Dunkirk. That's about it.

What movies do you guys think are worth spending the hard won schmeckles on to see in theatre this summer?

And what's coming out on disc and stream that's worth the rental?

Shekels.

Schmeckle is something completely different. You'll probably want to hang on to that no matter how good the movie is.

Goys. Sheesh. ;)

Last edited:
There is still a drive-in movie extant in Marion VA - keep the suggestions coming. Currently they're showing Despicable Me and The Mummy - still waiting on coming attractions.

Captain Underpants.

I liked the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. I'm kind of a sucker for Marvel.

Dunkirk: I love WW2 movies, especially ones with aviation.

War of Planet of the Apes: Seen the first two and liked them. So I'm hopeful for this one.

Valerian: Movie based on the comic series that inspired Star Trek, Star Wars, and many
many other modern sci-fi productions.

American Made: CIA, Pablo Escabar, Clinton, Arkansas, Flying. UHHH DUH!

Granite Mountain Hotshots: Recommended by ex hotshot pilot friend.

Dunkirk

My brother saw Wonder Woman and liked it a lot.

Cheers

Last edited:
churchill 6 days prior and after normandy landing

Atomic Blonde looks interesting .... Just hope it's not another one where all the good stuff was in the trailers we are seeing now.

There is still a drive-in movie extant in Marion VA - keep the suggestions coming. Currently they're showing Despicable Me and The Mummy - still waiting on coming attractions.

We operate operate 7 drive-ins. Upgraded to digital a few years ago and play all first run movies - except for our 3 customer appreciation nights when its free then the movies are a few months old. Programming can get exciting - like a couple of years ago when we showed 50 Shades next to Sponge Bob. Oops!

About 38-39 years ago I lived in a small rural town that had a drive in. On Thursday nights it would show old black and white science fiction movies. I mean the bad ones.

The owner claimed he made more money per night on the old movies than the first run movies.

Maybe because there was nothing else to do in that town except taking grannies '38 Buick to the drive in. And malts were 2 fer a buck.

I saw it in IMAX last night, I was digging the awesome sound far more than the movie itself. well, that and the plane scenes, of course.

The wife and I saw Dunkirk yesterday in IMAX as well. We both thought it was a good movie.

Don't get me wrong, it was good. My mistake was going in with higher expectations. I thought they glossed over the bigger picture of what was going on.

Don't get me wrong, it was good. My mistake was going in with higher expectations. I thought they glossed over the bigger picture of what was going on.

I am guessing that the movie was more of Hollywood licensing than documentary?

I am guessing that the movie was more of Hollywood licensing than documentary?

An article about the script specifically said nothing is based on historical fact beyond the actual battle. Nolan wrote it with fake people and stories using some mathematical equation. He wanted to convey the feeling of the situation.

I liked it as an overall movie.

I saw it in IMAX last night, I was digging the awesome sound far more than the movie itself. well, that and the plane scenes, of course.
I read an article about a Dunkirk veteran who watched the movie. He liked the movie but said the movie was louder than being on the beach.

I read an article about a Dunkirk veteran who watched the movie. He liked the movie but said the movie was louder than being on the beach.

it was F#$%ING LOUD, my chair was shaking for almost the whole movie. great sound. but further to that, I feel like they did this weird thing, it's hard to explain, but it almost sounded like a watch ticking for most of the movie....it was really interesting and very subtle, but it added a 'real time' component to the movie and I think one that needs to be experience loudly or at least with a great sound system. again, it's hard to explain but it was something I noticed. well, it was hard not to since it was so loud.

I just saw Dunkirk, it's a powerful film. Like other Christopher Nolan movies the movie doesn't play in linear time (e.g. Interstellar ).

The film conveys the horror of being surrounded in battle with no way out.

I didn't like the flying scenes, the final flying scene is ludicrous on many levels. I can look the other way when they put three small figthers flying into combat with overlapping wingtips. Sure that takes 3 small airplanes and turns them into one big one, but we need to fit them into a movie frame somehow. On the other hand, who knew a Spitfire could glide like a 50:1 sailplane. And if you are set up to do a nice dead stick on a smooth beach don't try cranking the gear down during the last 100 feet of altitude.

We operate operate 7 drive-ins. Upgraded to digital a few years ago and play all first run movies - except for our 3 customer appreciation nights when its free then the movies are a few months old. Programming can get exciting - like a couple of years ago when we showed 50 Shades next to Sponge Bob. Oops!

ROFLMAO!

Not just drive-ins.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/19/spongebob-fifty-shades_n_6713752.html

Code:
On Monday, the MetroLux 14 theater in Denver accidentally started showing “Fifty Shades of Grey” in a theater scheduled to show “SpongeBob.”

“People ran out of there,” Joe Jaramillo told the Denver Post. “You could hear little kids going, ‘SpongeBob! SpongeBob!’ as the parents were dragging them out.”

Not just drive-ins.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/19/spongebob-fifty-shades_n_6713752.html

Code:
On Monday, the MetroLux 14 theater in Denver accidentally started showing “Fifty Shades of Grey” in a theater scheduled to show “SpongeBob.”

“People ran out of there,” Joe Jaramillo told the Denver Post. “You could hear little kids going, ‘SpongeBob! SpongeBob!’ as the parents were dragging them out.”
LOL...
I hate it when I go to see garbage and they play some other garbage! :)

Dunkirk (XD) was loud as crap! War should never be that noisy. ;)

Dunkirk was too loud. I am sure that continued exposure to that level of noise will damage your hearing. I won't be going to the movies again without my old Bose noise cancelling headphones (not the aviation headsets). Probably won't help much though....

Missed the thread window, but we only have to wait until Feb 2018 to see Pacific Rim Uprising :D

Nauga,
and the redneck kaiju

Back