Summer 07 vacation-Bahamas

Thanks Jeff!

Anyone know of a decent site for Bahamas radar? Adds cuts off out here and a site I was referred to is very dated. Can't get a good enough connection to search much.

Best,

Dave

Thanks Jeff!

Anyone know of a decent site for Bahamas radar? Adds cuts off out here and a site I was referred to is very dated. Can't get a good enough connection to search much.

Best,

Dave

http://bahamasweather.org.bs/radar/local/loop/

That's the official site, from the Commonwealth of the Bahamas Dept. of Meteorology.

EDIT: Whoops! Wait, check out the image date/time! That's not good.

EDIT 2: While the LOOP is outdated, the normal radar image is somewhat current. I'm contacting them via email to find out if there is a different loop url to use.

http://www.bahamasweather.org.bs/radar/local/

Nice picture of you and the girls before leaving! I was about to say that the girls are lucky to have an uncle like you... but the flip side of that coin is true, too!

Last edited:
Thanks Troy! That Bahamas site is what I was using and had the same issue with the loop being very outdated.

Went into the big town of New Plymouth today. Got poured on. It's rained every afternoon. Other than that, lots of sun, beach and just chatting with the girls.

Best,

Dave

Thanks Troy! That Bahamas site is what I was using and had the same issue with the loop being very outdated.

Went into the big town of New Plymouth today. Got poured on. It's rained every afternoon. Other than that, lots of sun, beach and just chatting with the girls.

Best,

Dave

Did you see the noaa.gov link? I bet it would work for you.

I can't wait to see the Bahamas! Sounds like fun. You seem to be experiencing the regular weather pattern there... afternoon buildups and storms. I hear they are just over the islands, mainly, from ground heating... true for the most part?

There's a tradition here that one signs a dollar (or other bill) and posts it somewhere on the bar. My first one was in 1971; couldn't find it. But the bills from the girls in 2004 was there. Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• Britt and Bonnie's dollars over the bar from 2004.jpg
    Britt and Bonnie's dollars over the bar from 2004.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 24
Two dives today: one 45 minutes and one just over an hour. Got down to about 60 feet. Saw several sharks; snapping shrimp; lobster; barracuda circled us several times about three feet away. Lots of little other stuff. Just wonderful under there. My niece did better than me on her first dive. She still had 1500 pounds of air when I was down to 900.

Great day. No rain that we say. Great underwater vis.

The nieces are cooking dinner tonight!

Best,

Dave

Last day in paradise today! We'll just hit the pool and beach and take some pics. We'll be off to Nassau in the morning to do some shopping.

Best,

Dave

Two dives today: one 45 minutes and one just over an hour. Got down to about 60 feet. Saw several sharks; snapping shrimp; lobster; barracuda circled us several times about three feet away. Lots of little other stuff. Just wonderful under there. My niece did better than me on her first dive. She still had 1500 pounds of air when I was down to 900.

Great day. No rain that we say. Great underwater vis.

The nieces are cooking dinner tonight!

Best,

Dave

So you're a heavy-breather- it's allowed.

We're off to FL panhandle in the AM, Tallahassee, to be precise, with Pensacola on Wednesday (if we can last that long with the in-out-laws).

Back in the good ole US of A. Got into Nassau yesterday and shopped 'til we dropped. Got up this morning and flew to Fort Pierce for Customs clearance, then, to Kissimmee. Drove to the hotel and are just getting settled.

When the smoke clears, I post a couple pics.

Best,

Dave

Lindsay got a neat pic of Paradise Island when we were departing earlier today.

Attachments

• Nassau paradise island dedparture 72907.jpg
    Nassau paradise island dedparture 72907.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Gee, and I was happy to fly across the state this weekend instead of driving. :D Looks like you had a great trip. Lucky nieces.

Thanks guys! Sorry I haven't been on the board much and I know the post sound self centered. Just trying to share what's gone on a bit and haven't had much time to get on here. When I could, the internet connections were slow if I could get them at all. Of course, most time is spent with family and being away from phones and the internet facilitated a lot of quality time and nice discussions.

The girls know they may not do something like this again. They've been real good. Only one incident where they wanted to to out late the night we were leaving with folks we didn't know. Uncle Dave said no and they were disappointed, but we worked it out.

We'll be with family in Orlando today and hope to leave in the A.M for Dallas. Although I'll be home, the girls will be with me for the next week. We'll try to see Steve and family tomorrow on the way back to Dallas.

Got a nice pic of the sunset at Green Turtle Cay the night before we departed.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• GT Sunset off dock 072607.jpg
    GT Sunset off dock 072607.jpg
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 13
The girls and I just got home Sunday night from a week at OSH, Dave. Look forward to seeing you if you can beat the pm showers to the airport at 1R7.

Steve

Thanks guys! Sorry I haven't been on the board much and I know the post sound self centered. Just trying to share what's gone on a bit and haven't had much time to get on here. When I could, the internet connections were slow if I could get them at all. Of course, most time is spent with family and being away from phones and the internet facilitated a lot of quality time and nice discussions.

The girls know they may not do something like this again. They've been real good. Only one incident where they wanted to to out late the night we were leaving with folks we didn't know. Uncle Dave said no and they were disappointed, but we worked it out.

We'll be with family in Orlando today and hope to leave in the A.M for Dallas. Although I'll be home, the girls will be with me for the next week. We'll try to see Steve and family tomorrow on the way back to Dallas.

Got a nice pic of the sunset at Green Turtle Cay the night before we departed.

Best,

Dave

The girls and I just got home Sunday night from a week at OSH, Dave. Look forward to seeing you if you can beat the pm showers to the airport at 1R7.

Steve

Thanks Steve; We're planning on trying to get outta here about 10 or 10:30. I think I still have your cell number. Can try to call when we get near departing. The weather does look like a challenge. We'll check in the morning. I'll be IF&R if you want to check Flightaware. That way, even if I get up, you'll know if I have to divert or just keep going. We sure want to stop if we can.

Best,

Dave

Yep: I have your cell and Kathleen's. We're in Baron N322KS hope we get to see you and hear about your trip to OSH. My nieces are Lindsay, Bonnie and Brittany. Precious cargo indeed!

Hope we can stop in.

Best,

Dave

Precious and GORGEOUS (all 3!).

You beat the rain in, but it was pretty impressive watching you taxiing out in that rain. Perks of having a wx capable aircraft. :)

Enjoyed the quick stopover. Hope cross paths again (with better weather).

Yep: I have your cell and Kathleen's. We're in Baron N322KS hope we get to see you and hear about your trip to OSH. My nieces are Lindsay, Bonnie and Brittany. Precious cargo indeed!

Hope we can stop in.

Best,

Dave

Well....the trip is drawing to a close. I'll be flying the girls home on Sunday and flying back on Monday.

When I flew in from Florida Tuesday, we had some challenging weather enroute, then an ILS in heavy rain at Addison. I was visual 5 or 6 miles out and could see the rain moving from the north end of the field to the approach end on the south side. Approach set me up for the ILS but turned me in tight since I could see the airfield. On about a two mile final, the rain became pretty intense and I had to descend almost to DH before I saw the runway. I'll try to attach a couple pics.

Flew to south Texas and back yesterday to see my sister. We plan on stopping to see Tom and Diana on the way back to Wisconsin.

The girls said to expect a lot of folks at the airport on Sunday. Evidently, the family is really looking forward to seeing them and hearing about the trip.

Best,

Dave

Things I learned in the outlet mall today <g>

Remember when the outlet mall used to be where there were goods they couldn't sell in the main store that were dramatically marked down? Not any more!!!

At Penny's. Sign to check out said, "please form a single line." Wondered where the married folks were supposed ta check out.

Fitting rooms. These never did me any good. If something didn't fit and I brought into the fitting room, it still didn't fit afterwards. Great idea, huh!

Saw what the German folks do with their insane folks; pretty cruel stuff. Big sign in the mall: Roasted German Nuts. If I roasted those with mental deficiencies, sure wouldn't brag 'bout it.

Guy walks by with a t-shirt that says 'Hard Buck" on it. " Shouldn't those be banned when it's not the deer mating season? I mean, if this guy is lookin for a doe, should he be doin it in the mall?

The mall is marked with neighborhoods. For instance, big sign says neighborhood 3. Whose the marketing genius that came up with this one? Is there anything in a mall that reminds one of a neighborhood? Didn't see any front porches with folks sipping tea. A more appropriate label might be military complex 30 or somethin like that! To us guys, more like getting through complex military areas than being in a 'neighborhood'.

How in the world did women ever shop efficiently without cell phones? The girls used up more minutes there than when on vacation calling home for a whole week! Sort, terse, critical calls one right after another.

Bonnie: I'm at XXXX they have that XXX purse here for XXX dollars.
Thanks Lindsay, I'll bring this one back and be right over.

Interesting day.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
I'll see it the server will accept this 3 meg Word file. A friend saved some of the info on this flight. If it won't, I'll have to cut and paste pieces of it.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• DaveS KISM 1R7 ADS 2.doc
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
The first page is the trip overview. I could only put larger airports on this GPS map; so, 1R7 in Mississippi on the way back isn't in there. 45R where I flew to south Texas Thursday isn't there either. It wouldn't take PTS which is a stop to see Tom and Diana on the way back.

The first Flight Aware portion of that is through the Florida panhandle on the way back to Dallas.

More data there shows us avoiding the buildups and cells on the way back.
Flight aware altitudes were a bit off. We were kept at 12,000 for sometime due to traffic conflicts. We couldn't get FL180 because of the altimeter setting; so, we stayed at 16,000.

The pic with 1R7 and all the cells around it is when we departed. You can ask Steve about the weather at the time. I departed downwind as cells were at the approach end of the field moving across it.

The focus shifts to Addison where we are maneuvering in to land. We avoided a lot of cells on the way in, only to find one right at the airport as we arrived. We could visually see the runway from five or six miles out, but the field went IFR and we had to shoot the ILS33 approach. Got lots of rain on short final and had to descent to near minimums to land.

This shows the excellent weather avoidance capability of the P-Baron. Getting up into the flight levels got us above almost all the bad weather. Maneuvering around large systems kept us out of the bigger stuff. The on-board radar often showed paths above bad stuff on the NEXRAD.

Best,

Dave

The trip is finally over.

Stopped and saw Tom and Diana for lunch on Sunday. Dropped the girls off and flew back today. I'll have to catch up at work a bit; then, should be able to get active on here again!

Best,

Dave

The trip is finally over. Stopped and saw Tom and Diana for lunch on Sunday.
Dave, it was a treat seeing the girls again and we enjoyed spending time with you too. Hopefully next time the girls will have time to go flying in the Citabria.

I'll have to catch up at work a bit; then, should be able to get active on here again!
It will be nice to have you back posting more. :yes:

Diana: I got the inside scoop last night. The two younger girls really wanted to get home; they pressured Lindsay into agreeing not to go for a ride. Didn't know it when I was there. Lindsay blurted it out later and said she wished she'd of gone up with you.

Oh well. I'll try to send you the pics we took when I get the bus. back under control.

Best,

Dave

Diana: I got the inside scoop last night. The two younger girls really wanted to get home; they pressured Lindsay into agreeing not to go for a ride. Didn't know it when I was there. Lindsay blurted it out later and said she wished she'd of gone up with you.
Ohhhhh, that explains it. She seemed really interested and I felt that she wanted to go. Well, maybe someday I can get up there. I hope to fly up to Iowa to take my Project Pilot student flying sometime. It's not too much farther to OSH. :) Or, she can go with Kate on a lesson sometime soon. :)

I'll try to send you the pics we took when I get the bus. back under control.
That would be great! If they aren't unflattering, I'll post them. :D

Back