Summer 07 vacation-Bahamas

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
For the last few years, we've posted info about our annual vacation trip on here; sometimes as we went; mostly after we returned. We're headed back to the Bahamas again (by popular request) this year. Making several stops on the trip. I'd like to post when I can while we're traveling, but first, I'd like to put the planned route on a map.

Can anyone recommend someplace I could post the route and display it? It would have to have the US from Dallas including Wisconsin to the north and to Treasure Cay Bahamas to the east.

Best,

Dave

Aeroplanner.com allows you to publish a planned route, but you have to have a subscription (included in EAA membership).

Well, I couldn't find anything to post the route on, so here's a summary.
I'll leave Dallas to pick up the girls in Wisconsin on the 18th.

On the 19th, we'll fly to Greenville, SC to see my Daughter, Son-in-law and Granddaughter, for a couple days.

From Greenville, we'll fly to Fort Pierce to pick up a raft, add fuel and stop for lunch. Then, we'll fly to Treasure Cay. From there, we take a ferry over to Green Turtle Cay for a week.

Next, we'll hop over to Nassau to do some shopping. May stop on the way to see Charlie Melot if we can work it out.

From Nassau, back to Ft. Pierce to clear customs. Then to Kissimmee where we'll hanger the plane and drive into Orlando to see family for a couple days.

We leave Orlando and head to Dallas. On the way, we'll see if the See family is home in Mississippi <g>.

We'll make a day trip from Dallas to south Texas and back to see family.

Finally, I'll point it back to Wisconsin to return my nieces to their home. On the way back, we hope to catch Tom and Diana. Then, from Wisconsin, we'll fly back to Dallas.

Haven't added up all the leg lengths, but it seems to be around 3,000 NM. We'll try to post a bit while on the trip.

Best,

Dave

Well, I couldn't find anything to post the route on, so here's a summary.

That sounds like a fun trip, Dave! Check this out, found a great site called GPSVisualizer.com. It even handled the International id's! I picked Madison, in Wisconsin, as I don't know the actual place you're flying into.

Here's the route I specified:

ADS-MSN,MSN-GYH,GYH-FPR,FPR-TCB,TCB-NAS,NAS-FPR,FPR-ISM,ISM-ADS

I used the "Draw routes between multiple airports", with 500nm markers, off the main page:

DaveBahamas.jpg

Here are the preliminary leg distances:

Dallas (Addison--ADS) to C47 (Portage, WI) 753
C47 to Greenville, SC GYH 622
GYH to Fort Pierce FPR 448
FRP to MYAT (Treasure Cay) 165
MYAT to MYNN (Nassau) 102
NYNN to FPR 215
FPR to KISM (Kissimmee) 74
KISM to 1R7 (Brookhaven--where the See's are) 537
1R7 to ADS (Addison) 336
ADS to 45R (Kountze, TX) 237
45R to ADS 237
ADS to PTS (where Tom and Diana are) 317
PTS to C47 (Portage, WI) 438
C47 to ADS 723

Total seems to be 5,204 miles.

Best,

Dave

That sounds like a fun trip, Dave! Check this out, found a great site called GPSVisualizer.com. It even handled the International id's! I picked Madison, in Wisconsin, as I don't know the actual place you're flying into.

Here's the route I specified:

ADS-MSN,MSN-GYH,GYH-FPR,FPR-TCB,TCB-NAS,NAS-FPR,FPR-ISM,ISM-ADS

I used the "Draw routes between multiple airports", with 500nm markers, off the main page:

DaveBahamas.jpg

Wow! That's great Troy!! That's a great overview of the route. I may put in some more details and send that to some folks!!

Best,

Dave

Troy, that's a cool site. Dave, that's an even cooler trip! Hope you have a blast!

Wow! That's great Troy!! That's a great overview of the route. I may put in some more details and send that to some folks!!

Best,

Dave

I forgot to mention that you have to click the "Calculators and Routes" link at the top to get to the "Draw routes between multiple airports" link.

On the 19th, we'll fly to Greenville, SC to see my Daughter, Son-in-law and Granddaughter, for a couple days.

Best,

Dave

So is there maybe a lunch get together that weekend?
Kaye

Sorry to ramble.

Don't know if we could do the weekend Kaye, much as I would like to, and I'm sure the girls would love to meet you.

We'll be arriving in Greenville Thursday afternoon from Wisconsin and staying that night and Friday night.

Saturday, we're headed down to Treasure Cay. As you know, it's getting bumpy late afternoon, so, we'll be trying to fly earlier in the day. Friday could work if you want to fly down to Greenville-Donaldson. Guess we're just trying to work a lot in!

It could be possible to stop on the way down Thursday for lunch or something, but I'd need to know where to stop <g>

Best,

Dave

Our trip is to begin tomorrow when I leave Dallas to fly up to Wisconsin to retrieve my three nieces! Everyone's pretty excited. In the past, the day I fly up there has been interesting as the girls are scurrying around trying to get last minute things done and trying to remember all things they will need for two and a half weeks of travel. Separating what can travel in the nose of the plane (unpressurized) from what has to be loaded in the cabin and trying to keep the overall load within reason <g>

I'll try to take a pic before we leave Thursday and post it when we get to South Carolina. Probably won't be on the board as much while we're gone, but will try to check in.

Best,

Dave

You forgot the stop in Michigan to pick me up.

Have fun with the family. It sounds like a great trip. We will be looking for updates and pics.

have fun man, wave when you fly by.

Thanks Tony! Could have used your expertise while doing the test flight on the P-Baron yesterday (after the annual). We did two deliberate engine shut downs to make sure the props feathered, etc. And, one other one I need to tell you about next time we link up :goofy:

Followed the cross feed check list, we did!!

Best,

Dave

You forgot the stop in Michigan to pick me up.

We have this weight and balance issue, Ed ( uhhh.....uhhh paragraph 6, page 13 of the Baron POH)! Can only hold an Uncle and three nieces the way I read it.

Did have two tellers at the bank today offer to become nieces when getting traveler's checks. They remembered us doing the same thing last year.

Best,

Dave

cant wait to hear about it Dave. it'll probably be way to long before we see each other in person so call, fife one fife two niner one zero zero eight niner if you wish. have a good trip

Hell, if you're handing out traveler's checks...I'll sign up as a niece.:yes::yes:

Our trip is to begin tomorrow when I leave Dallas to fly up to Wisconsin to retrieve my three nieces! Everyone's pretty excited.

Including ALL OF US!!! Watching you now on flightAware, you're in North Missouri at FL190. Have a great time!!

Clouds had a bit of ice in them but manageable. System was forecast to be much worse than it turned out to be. Got a pic or two I've attached. Girls are scrambling around as predicted. Plane ran fine up there. Was truing between 205 and 210; amazing that one needs outside air or AC at FL190 this time of year!!

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Ice on nacelle 071807.jpg
    Ice on nacelle 071807.jpg
    795 KB · Views: 34
  • In the soup 071807.jpg
    In the soup 071807.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 32
forecast wasnt so much wrong as it was late. winds were gusting over 50 about a half hour ago

Complete the leg of the trip from Portage, WI to Greenville, SC yesterday. Was on top of all the NEXRAD yellow stuff from the Chicago area to Ohio. Accumulated about 1/4 inch of ice at one point on the unprotected areas of the plane. It's really fun to file direct from Portage to Greenville and get it including right over ORD.

Spent some time in downtown Greenville at the Overlook Grill and the waterfall behind it.

We're leaving in the mornin for the Bahamas. We're told we have in internet connection there and will try to keep touch.

Best,

Dave

How was the trip down from SC, Dave? Looks like you had a bit of weather to contend with on arrival in Florida... but FlightAware does show you're there.

KVRB 211720Z 13013G21KT 5SM +TSRA BR SCT011 BKN080 OVC090 22/21 A3000 RMK AO2 PK WND 11029/1656 WSHFT 1653 P0069

KFPR 211706Z 36011G19KT 320V040 2SM TSRA BR SCT018 BKN039 OVC055 24/22 A3000 RMK AO2 P0014

Attachments

• KVRB.gif
    KVRB.gif
    50.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Good gracious, it does look like he had the weather genie following him around.

Report, Dave. Be there, or be talked-about.

Slow connection in our room if any!

Flew over most of the stuff from SC to FK, but had to divert from FPR to Vero Beach. Red stuff all over and lightning on the SS. Got into Vero and saw an opening to the east. Took off quickly, after filling up, and got in here about 4:00 yesterday. Made it to the Club in time for the beach cafe party with the band. Walked out after dark to the Beach and walked in the surf for an hour or so, and went back to the band. The offered some complimentary drinks and I wouldn't want to be inhospitable; so, feeling a bit rough today.

Best,

Dave

Dave, you are and remain

Our Hero!

Rough duty it may be, but you are up to the task. Keep details, take pictures, debriefing after return.

The P-Baron is like a little tank compared to my A-36. Much more stable in bumps. Of course, one can get in real bad stuff, but stuff that would have been pretty rough in the A-36 is just fine in Mister P. Got into light ice several times and was fine. The horizontal stab in back got enough to have to cycle the boots pretty quickly a few times, but we had an easy out lower and called for lower when we became concerned.

Got some pretty heavy rain going into Vero. It was funny because there was a TBM behind us also going onto FPR. We looked at the NEXRAD and on-board radar and decided we didn't need to go there. Center had told us to expect to hold for weather. When Center offered Vero, we said fine and diverted, Mr. TBM driver said he'd go ahead to FPR.

We broke out on the GPS approach about 2,500. We heard the TBM making all sorts of calls; getting heavy turbulence. Long story short, guess who landed at Vero about ten minutes after us :).

Before we departed, FSS advised waiting thing out. Said things were too bad to leave. Heavy cells arriving shortly. We looked at the weather, saw a big opening to the east, and left. No problem!!

Boat races yesterday. A bunch met here for lunch today. Here's one of many passing.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• GT boat passing our room 72207.jpg
    GT boat passing our room 72207.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 12
Dave -

Enjoyed seeing the pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Here's the pic we took in front of the plane before leaving.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Departure from Portage 071907.jpg
    Departure from Portage 071907.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Dave -

Nice picture.

Love those painted props. Very nice.

Back