Subway Sued Over Length Of "Footlong" Sandwiches

I have long been a proponent of tort reform. At least in CA it is one of our main problems.

This is stupid. People that eat at Subway normally eat there anyway and know the size of their sandwiches. They either consider them a good value or they don't. If they don't they go someplace else. If they are stuck eating at Subway they suck it up and just be less than satisfied or feel they spent too much for what they got.

McSub (fictional sub restaurant created to illustrate a point) makes their foot long subs 13 inches and stuffs more meat in them than Subway does. Word of mouth spreads that McSub is the place to go over Subway, and they get more business. The people put off by Subway's subpar foot longs go there instead. Or not. Maybe they just go to KFC.

Sheesh.

My foot is 11" long; maybe they're using that as their description of a foot.

Why do you think the "Quarter Pounder" has a little astrix on the add that say "Weight before cooking" on it?

MAIN problems? You need to look around more.

Well, as a business owner, I get about one frivolous law suit a year and even though I have everything documented and there is no way I could lose, we end up settling (which is what these sleezebags are betting on).:mad2: For me, this significantly increases my cost of doing business. What we need is a "loser pays" law. That would go a long way to fixing this. Unfortunately, most of the legislature is run by lawyers.

For the people that file the suit; it is really a no lose situation for them. The lawyer takes it on contingency (therefore assuming all the risk). For me, I have to pay my lawyer, win or lose, and I usually have to pay some type of settlement.

I know the legal challange is stupid and silly... But...

What's next.. you go buy a gallon of 100LL and get .9 gal... I can bet EVERY one of us would be screaming bloody murder :yes::mad2:.. It's a slippery slope and where do you draw the line...:dunno:

Why do you think the "Quarter Pounder" has a little astrix on the add that say "Weight before cooking" on it?

Wasn't there a suit or filed complaint about McD's fried cherry pies and the number of cherries shown on the box versus what was actually in the pie?

Maybe I need to file a suit that my festivus pole this past year was an aluminum alloy and not 100% aluminum.

If this succeeds there are going to be a lot of guys out there getting sued by ex-girlfriends.

Wasn't there a suit or filed complaint about McD's fried cherry pies and the number of cherries shown on the box versus what was actually in the pie?

Maybe I need to file a suit that my festivus pole this past year was an aluminum alloy and not 100% aluminum.

I'd be careful about that if you sell any new or overhauled parts at your salvage yard...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I HATE lawyers..But A foot = 12"......

Either provide the product you advertise ...or call it an 11" sub...

A foot would be 1 foot. That would be 6.0" to just under 18.0".

They didn't call it a 12" sub. A lot of people have trouble with significant digits and units.

I am going to predict the final results of this class action suit:
1. All injured parties, Subway customers past and present will be mailed a coupon for 2 FREE LARGE SUB sandwiches.
2. Subway will make a public apology for unintentionally misleading consumers.
3. Total settlement will be $40 million dollars, $30 million in sandwich coupons and $10 million in attorney fees. :mad2:
Am I close??

1. All injured parties, Subway customers past and present will be mailed a coupon for 2 FREE LARGE SUB sandwiches.
3. Total settlement will be $40 million dollars, $30 million in sandwich coupons and $10 million in attorney fees. :mad2:
Am I close??

I would bet you're within a close shot, although the attorney fees sound low.

And Subway will get 60 million dollars is free advertising /exposure when this all settles out....
This could be some real clever marketing.:dunno:;)

True. I bet the dough goes into the oven at 12 inches, but when it cooks up and out, the overall length shortens a bit. They will use that agrument and win.

They can plead the two-by-four rule. Two-by-fours are NOT two by four, but no one sues Weyerhauser or the local lumberyard.

At least the ice cream folks don't label their cartons as a half gallon anymore.

Am I close??
No I think you got it backwards. All injured parties will get a coupon for 50 cents off their next foot long subway sandwich, the apology, and the settlement will be 39 million dollars for the attorneys and 1 million for the coupons.

Lawsuits like this just further the decline in America.

I like Shakespeare's approach to lawyers. Especially class action lawyers.

Cheers

Bingo, I'd wager you would be upset if the steaks you bought at the store were 8% under the weight on the label.

I on the side with Ben on this one. Consumer protection.

The government can't go around and verify every ad of every store so the court system is the way that businesses are kept in line. Don't throw the baby with the bathwater.

I know the legal challange is stupid and silly... But...

What's next.. you go buy a gallon of 100LL and get .9 gal... I can bet EVERY one of us would be screaming bloody murder :yes::mad2:.. It's a slippery slope and where do you draw the line...:dunno:

Ben makes another good point!

True, but if you want to get technical they said a foot long sub. Maybe as others suggested the CEO's foot, or advertising executive who thought up the idea has a 11'' foot. Then on the other hand, maybe they are not talking about the size of the bread, but the size of the sub itself which would include the overhanging meat, and lettuce, and that would make it a foot. Then on the other hand(forget which movie or TV show this came from) maybe the subs were 12 inches before they were wrapped by the sandwich maker and in wrapping the sandwich the initially 12 inch sub bread was compressed and now is less than 12 inches.

Doug

These lawsuits are just asinine.
How many sub rolls were actually measured? In how many locations? It's bread. It is something baked. There is going to be inconsistency.
At some point suits like this just need to be thrown out. If these people were so worried about the length, they should of measured on the very first one they purchased. If they are not satisfied, bring your hunger somewhere else.

My feet are less than 12". But my shoes are "foot-long". :D

Wonder if these guys would sue for misrepresentation if they got a "baker's dozen" from the bakery.

Before purchasing this sub, please print name, sign, and date the following form, "I Fat A$$ Jared, understand that my sub on the date of 1-24-2013 may not be exactly 12" long. I understand results may vary do to a number of variables. By signing this agreement I agree to conditions on back of this form. X______________"

Is this going to be in our future of purchasing food, going to the movies, entering the mall, leaving our homes?

Before purchasing this sub, please print name, sign, and date the following form, "I Fat A$$ Jared, understand that my sub on the date of 1-24-2013 may not be exactly 12" long. I understand results may vary do to a number of variables. By signing this agreement I agree to conditions on back of this form. X______________"

Is this going to be in our future of purchasing food, going to the movies, entering the mall, leaving our homes?
If the lawyers have their way no, then how would they be able to make money off of frivilous lawsuits such as this!

I like Shakespeare's approach to lawyers. Especially class action lawyers.

Cheers

Bad example if you take Shakespeare's complete quote in context. If you did then you would note that in order to destroy a society one would have to kill the lawyers. That, at least to me infers that Shakespeare considered lawyers necessary to the social order.

A foot would be 1 foot. That would be 6.0" to just under 18.0".

They didn't call it a 12" sub. A lot of people have trouble with significant digits and units.

You deserve a spot on Subway's Legal Team, sir...

Assuming they pay better than the Radio Station that promoted a free "Toy Yoda" :D

Also, as regards this suit... I want off of this planet. Hurry the F up, Branson.

Also, as regards this suit... I want off of this planet. Hurry the F up, Branson.

Hmmmmm..

if you want off this planet and care to not return, I bet Hennings and I can build a one way ticket to space..:yes::yes:..

And... Ol' Richard is charging 400,000 bucks for his spaceflight.... We will do it for 395,000.. Save 5 grand and you can will that to POA for us to schedule a great flyin somewhere..:yes:;)

The difference between buying a gallon of gas or per pound of steak, you aren't buying by the inch, or by the foot for that matter.

You can buy 2/3 of a gallon of gas, and you pay 2/3 of the price of a gallon. You can buy 12 oz of steak and you are paying for 3/4 of the pound price. The footlong sub is a unit. You can't go in and order 7" of sub and pay for 7/12th of the foot long price.

Also, I bet if you squash the sub it ends up being 12" or more.

These lawsuits are just asinine.
How many sub rolls were actually measured? In how many locations? It's bread. It is something baked. There is going to be inconsistency.
At some point suits like this just need to be thrown out. If these people were so worried about the length, they should of measured on the very first one they purchased. If they are not satisfied, bring your hunger somewhere else.

:yes:

Edit: Besides, the last inch is just dough, anyway.

Hmmmmm..

if you want off this planet and care to not return, I bet Hennings and I can build a one way ticket to space..:yes::yes:..

And... Ol' Richard is charging 400,000 bucks for his spaceflight.... We will do it for 395,000.. Save 5 grand and you can will that to POA for us to schedule a great flyin somewhere..:yes:;)

Your rocket will be FAA-certified, right? :D Can't be too careful...

Hmmmmm..

I would like to offer you a deal for $300,000. With $20,000 down. I will get you signed up!

Back