Subway Sued Over Length Of "Footlong" Sandwiches

But when you bought 1320 x whatever feet, you go to the last unit of measurement and it's +/- half that measurement. So you could have gotten 1319.5 x n-0.5 ft to 1321.49999 x n+.49999 feet.

Although all the propery I've recently looked at they would have added the .0 to the end. 1320.0' x 2640.0' So the most I'd get shorted is 0.5" instead of 0.5' A couple pieces even measured out to nnnn.00'

Actually, unless they put a . after it, 1,320' is anywhere between 1,315'-1,324.99999'

A trailing zero is not a significant figure unless specified as such.

Agreed.... The newest survey GPS equipment is deadly accurate... One day, a few years back I was bored so I took out my certified 200' tape and measured the entire property.... it was within 1".. The thing that really astounded me was the corner pins were bronze monuments with date, 1899 stamped on them... I cannot for the life of me, figure out how they were able to be that accurate back then. And... they must have been pretty tough surveyers as they had to fight off indians and grizzly bears while they mapped out this part of Wyoming..:eek::yes:

While they (the surveyors) were good, they weren't always that good. They missed a half section line in Jonah and I had to re-spot a well 'cause the line was in the wrong place. Must have been a Monday when they pinned that corner...surveying mistakes made a hundred years ago are still with us today.

While they (the surveyors) were good, they weren't always that good. They missed a half section line in Jonah and I had to re-spot a well 'cause the line was in the wrong place. Must have been a Monday when they pinned that corner...surveying mistakes made a hundred years ago are still with us today.

Wyoming does not require you guys to have a licensed surveyor do a certificate of placement for wells ?

Amen to that. Developing land in NE is a nightmare. Country roads located in the wrong place, property lines off 40' :eek:

Other is a reason legal descriptions say + or - . :lol:

Having gone out with some survey crews back around 1980 it's surprising they could be that accurate at all. Holy cow, measuring tapes and sticks (rods)!

Wyoming does not require you guys to have a licensed surveyor do a certificate of placement for wells ?

Yup, there has to be a stamped plat.

That doesn't mean it's correct. Of course telling a surveyor they're wrong just blows their mind.

Sometimes the surveyors do their homework and sometimes not. For some reason the state (WOGCC) really did their homework on this one. Maybe the fact that the guys on the other side of the line had done their homework had something to do with it?

I know a couple of surveyors that still have a set of chains in their truck.
You mean they have these...

chain.jpg

Instead of this?

3100ccl.jpg

I guess they are still technically called "chains"...

I know a couple of surveyors that still have a set of chains in their truck.

I worked "tail-chain" on a survey crew, and asked the lead man where the chain was. He told me, "you're holding it," and (of course) I was holding a tape.

It was amazing how we could use that sucker, along with plumb bobs, strings and a theodolite, and be incredibly accurate over very large distances.

Anyway, the lead guy told me it had been a very long time once true chains had been used, because they were very hard to achieve acceptable accuracy with.

You mean they have these...

chain.jpg

Instead of this?

3100ccl.jpg

I guess they are still technically called "chains"...

Both and more lol, although they pretty much just use the Trimble stake anymore. These guys are old as dirt.:rofl:

I worked "tail-chain" on a survey crew, and asked the lead man where the chain was. He told me, "you're holding it," and (of course) I was holding a tape.

It was amazing how we could use that sucker, along with plumb bobs, strings and a theodolite, and be incredibly accurate over very large distances.

Anyway, the lead guy told me it had been a very long time once true chains had been used, because they were very hard to achieve acceptable accuracy with.
My job was actually doing aerial survey but once in a while we would get roped into doing some ground work. I was the "rod-man" since it probably required the least skill. :rofl:

Pull the steel to right tension and level -- Stick --- Stuck and move on. Setting corners with BLM cadastrals. Long time ago.

Well... I don't know whether I think a class-action suit is the way to address this, but I do agree that a "footlong" sandwich should be a foot long -- or very close to that.

So does Subway, actually: Their nutritional information lists the half-sandwiches as being six inches; so unless they want to claim that "six inches" also refers to a trademark, as opposed to the common unit of measurement, they are full of baloney -- 5 1/2 inches of it, to be exact.

If they want to use some measure of tolerance or variation as a defense, then out of a sufficiently randomized sample, the average length of the sandwiches should be 12 inches -- or very close to it. Some may be a bit longer and others a bit shorter, but they should average out to 12 inches.

Shrinking products are a pet peeve of mine. I haven't purchased Birds Eye frozen vegetables since the 16 oz. bags shrunk to 14.4 ounces. To me, it's just deceptive. If you have to raise the price, then raise the price. Don't try to pull a fast one on me and hope I don't notice.

So frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Subway actually has reduced the amount of bread ingredients in the recipe, hoping that no one notice, just so they could maintain their "$5.00 footlongs" promotions. Again, speaking for myself, I'd rather they just raise the price if they need to.

-Rich

Attachments

• menu.jpg
    menu.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 12
This is ridiculous. What damages are they claiming? People who do this s**t think that frivolous lawsuits against large companies are their lottery tickets out of working for a living.

It's complete stupidity as you still get the same mass of bread and fixings since everything is done in pre weighed portions. The issue is that the bread is fresh baked on a tray and if you don't lay it out just exactly so, the length will vary a bit. This type of stuff is just so annoying....

Bought a couple of farms recently. Had them surveyed. The crew used GPS "chains".

It was fascinating (I like gadgets). He had me check the readout on the machine (middle of a tarvy road in August) then stand so my shadow was blocking the sunlight from hitting one leg of the tripod. Sure enough in about 60 seconds as the leg cooled (shortened) there was a change in the last digit of the numbers.
One cross reference marker for finding the buried plumb bob stake in the center of the road was a brass tag nailed to a tree trunk that was done some 20 years earlier It had moved about 4" as the tree became bigger around as it grew. I hate guys who nail markers to trees, he said. They had to use a pick axe to find the plumb bob stake since the road had a new layer of asphalt put down a few years earlier and they just covered anything in their way.
The early 1900s quadrant post at the road intersection a half mile away was within an inch and a half. Done with chains.
A marker from the 1980's government official resurvey - a bronze tag on top of a cement post - was within an half inch. It also happened to be the SE corner of my property - saved me money. And the quarter Section marker in the road was right in front of my property, and he said that really made his job a lot easier on a hot day. He was able to set a line from the quarter section marker straight down the road to the quadrant marker between sections, and then using a radio linked GPS on a stick shoot a remote line to the official cement post at the SE corner and he automatically had a perfect right angle defining two sides of the property.

It's complete stupidity as you still get the same mass of bread and fixings since everything is done in pre weighed portions. The issue is that the bread is fresh baked on a tray and if you don't lay it out just exactly so, the length will vary a bit. This type of stuff is just so annoying....

Except that, no more than they put IN the sandwich, the bread constitutes 99.9% of the calories.

:goofy:

Except that, no more than they put IN the sandwich, the bread constitutes 99.9% of the calories.

:goofy:

True, but irrelevant to the suit as the bread quantity, therefore caloric value is the same regardless of exact dimensions. It is however relevant to why I don't eat at Subway.;)

Bought a couple of farms recently. Had them surveyed. The crew used GPS "chains".

It was fascinating (I like gadgets). He had me check the readout on the machine (middle of a tarvy road in August) then stand so my shadow was blocking the sunlight from hitting one leg of the tripod. Sure enough in about 60 seconds as the leg cooled (shortened) there was a change in the last digit of the numbers.
One cross reference marker for finding the buried plumb bob stake in the center of the road was a brass tag nailed to a tree trunk that was done some 20 years earlier It had moved about 4" as the tree became bigger around as it grew. I hate guys who nail markers to trees, he said. They had to use a pick axe to find the plumb bob stake since the road had a new layer of asphalt put down a few years earlier and they just covered anything in their way.
The early 1900s quadrant post at the road intersection a half mile away was within an inch and a half. Done with chains.
A marker from the 1980's government official resurvey - a bronze tag on top of a cement post - was within an half inch. It also happened to be the SE corner of my property - saved me money. And the quarter Section marker in the road was right in front of my property, and he said that really made his job a lot easier on a hot day. He was able to set a line from the quarter section marker straight down the road to the quadrant marker between sections, and then using a radio linked GPS on a stick shoot a remote line to the official cement post at the SE corner and he automatically had a perfect right angle defining two sides of the property.

Taken in the Olympic National Forest.

Attachments

• P6130254.JPG
    P6130254.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
  • P6130250.JPG
    P6130250.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
It was announced today Subway has relented and will make the foot longs 12".
Jersey Mikes at least just calls them Regular and Giant.

Now if we could do away with the unnecessary dairy overlap.
drew_anopenlettertosubway.gif

I never, ever took the Subway "Footlong" as meaning it was 12". I took it to mean exactly what it means... a freaking marketing term. In the several examples the national news showed, all the ones from NYC were 12". All the ones from the State of NJ were 11 1/2 or less. Were they skimming a little dough off the top to save a little dough on the books?
You're a fool if you think you were buying a 12" roll. The real question is, did you enjoy the sandwich? And if you did, and returned to buy more "Footlong's", then you have NOTHING to complain about.
As was mentioned, Subway sued over the name. That alone should be a clue to their intention.
While we are at it, have you noticed that most coffee comes in the same size cans as the 1 pound cans. Joice in a 1/2 gallon container but only 59 oz? Or that Dunkin' Donuts coffee at the grocery store is a 12 oz bag? Come on folks, it's all marketting. It's not like marketteers EVER tell you the truth.

I never, ever took the Subway "Footlong" as meaning it was 12". I took it to mean exactly what it means... a freaking marketing term. In the several examples the national news showed, all the ones from NYC were 12". All the ones from the State of NJ were 11 1/2 or less. Were they skimming a little dough off the top to save a little dough on the books?
You're a fool if you think you were buying a 12" roll. The real question is, did you enjoy the sandwich? And if you did, and returned to buy more "Footlong's", then you have NOTHING to complain about.
As was mentioned, Subway sued over the name. That alone should be a clue to their intention.
While we are at it, have you noticed that most coffee comes in the same size cans as the 1 pound cans. Joice in a 1/2 gallon container but only 59 oz? Or that Dunkin' Donuts coffee at the grocery store is a 12 oz bag? Come on folks, it's all marketting. It's not like marketteers EVER tell you the truth.

I wouldn't be surprised if NYC DCA sends undercover inspectors around to measure the sandwiches. Seriously. That would not surprise me in the least.

-Rich

Except that it doesn't seem to vary on the long side. just on the short side.

Except that it doesn't seem to vary on the long side. just on the short side.

Does it matter when the mass is the same? Latest I heard is it ended in a settlement where Subway instructed all the franchisees to lay out the dough just so as according to instructions. There is an issue to lawsuits in that there has to be damages involved. If you get the same mass, there are no damages, you aren't cheated out of any food, you don't lose a damned thing and you cost everybody by the ridiculous suit. The lawyer who filed this without evidence of damages should be sanctioned and disbarred.

Haven't heard any more about this recently. Still say it's a ridiculous suit. However...I've been thinking about this old commercial and how it may buy them some trouble.

images

I will gladly start a taxpayer funded sandwich measuring firm to ensure you won't be getting screwed in my town. I think $100k per year for my services will suffice. Pay up front for value on the backside?

Haven't heard any more about this recently. Still say it's a ridiculous suit. However...I've been thinking about this old commercial and how it may buy them some trouble.

images

I think this ad exonerates them completely! Look how the arrows point to the lower portion of the palms, clearly the one foot line is beyond the sandwich boundaries! :D

I will gladly start a taxpayer funded sandwich measuring firm to ensure you won't be getting screwed in my town. I think $100k per year for my services will suffice. Pay up front for value on the backside?

They will never pay $100K to fund this type study, probably more like a $3 million grant! :mad2:

Back