Subway Sued Over Length Of "Footlong" Sandwiches

OMG WE NEED SANDWITCH POLICE!!!

In my opinion.......... the original topic is pretty serious.....

Suppose you pull up to the FBO and ask for 1000 gallons of 100LL, and it is 7 bucks a gallon.......

They proceed to pump 900 gallons in your plane and charge you 7000 dollars..........

are you gonna pay it without bitchin :dunno::dunno:..

I bet NOT...:no::no::no:

A foot would be 1 foot. That would be 6.0" to just under 18.0".

They didn't call it a 12" sub. A lot of people have trouble with significant digits and units.

Or, it could be the length of the lower appendage of the original owner/founder of Subway. After all, the term "foot" or "feet" originated back in Greek/Roman/Eqyptian vernacular.

The verification of the foot as described in the 16th century by Jacob Koebel in his book Geometrei. Von künstlichem Feldmessen und absehen is:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_(unit)#cite_note-44
Stand at the door of a church on a Sunday and bid 16 men to stop, tall ones and small ones, as they happen to pass out when the service is finished; then make them put their left feet one behind the other, and the length thus obtained shall be a right and lawful rood to measure and survey the land with, and the 16th part of it shall be the right and lawful foot.

Suppose you pull up to the FBO and ask for 1000 gallons of 100LL, and it is 7 bucks a gallon.......

They proceed to pump 900 gallons in your plane and charge you 7000 dollars..........

See my previous post. You are paying $7.00/unit of measure. A "footlong" is a singular unit. You're paying for a sandwich, and not paying by the inch.

Nope.............. it will have 20" , black lettering on the outside that says.EXPERIMENTAL:lol::rofl:

Sorry, that would be illegal. They need to be 3" letters, visible to the passenger as they are entering the airplane. Maybe on the outside would qualify? ;)

The difference between buying a gallon of gas or per pound of steak, you aren't buying by the inch, or by the foot for that matter.

You can buy 2/3 of a gallon of gas, and you pay 2/3 of the price of a gallon. You can buy 12 oz of steak and you are paying for 3/4 of the pound price. The footlong sub is a unit. You can't go in and order 7" of sub and pay for 7/12th of the foot long price.

Also, I bet if you squash the sub it ends up being 12" or more.

:rolleyes::nono:..

You can go into a Subway and BUY a 6" sub.... and the cost is about 50% of the foot long one.... so, in reality you do buy it by the "unit "price..:yes:

Sorry, that would be illegal. They need to be 3" letters, visible to the passenger as they are entering the airplane. Maybe on the outside would qualify? ;)

Ok smart ass.. we are talkin space ship here... Not RV-10's..;):lol::rofl:

Bad example if you take Shakespeare's complete quote in context. If you did then you would note that in order to destroy a society one would have to kill the lawyers. That, at least to me infers that Shakespeare considered lawyers necessary to the social order.

I know that and don't care. Still like the quote. ;)

Besides I think it written was before class action suits. :D

Cheers

Last edited:

I think the better analogy would be you ordered 1000 foot long subs and got 900 instead. Now if you ordered 12,000 inches of sub sandwich, you would have a case. A foot long sub is a term used to describe the larger of the two available sandwiches. :mad2:
Note, if the foot long isn't a foot long, is the six inch really 6 inches????:eek: That may be a problem for Subway!

You can go into a Subway and BUY a 6" sub.... and the cost is about 50% of the foot long one.... so, in reality you do buy it by the "unit "price..:yes:

A 6" sub is a different product than a footlong. You cannot ask for a 9" and pay 150% of the 6" price.

As mentioned above, mathematically, "1 foot" is anywhere from 6" to 17.999"

Except it's not about half the price. It's like 2/3 - 3/4 of the price. And they aren't selling by the foot or by the inch. They are selling by the sandwich.

Last edited:
I think the better analogy would be you ordered 1000 foot long subs and got 900 instead. Now if you ordered 12,000 inches of sub sandwich, you would have a case. A foot long sub is a term used to describe the larger of the two available sandwiches. :mad2:
Note, if the foot long isn't a foot long, is the six inch really 6 inches????:eek: That may be a problem for Subway!

If 5.5"-6.499999999" it is 6" They didn't say 6.0"

Actually, a better analogy would be if you ordered fuel by the 1000 gallon truck (I know, I know, not realistic...bear with me).

Some of the trucks would have 990 gallons, some would have 1010 gallons. It wouldn't matter, you'd pay for the truck, not the gallons.

However, you still are receiving the same volume of bread. In your example the volume is different.

Except it's not about half the price. It's like 2/3 - 3/4 of the price. And they aren't selling by the foot or by the inch. They are selling by the sandwich.

The trouble is they are calling the sandwich a "footlong" . So the lawsuit says. ;)

I am waiting for the class action suit over a wrong number being published by someone for the number of angels on the head of a pin. I am sure some lawyer somewhere has an expert with the right number. :rolleyes:

Cheers

A 6" sub is a different product than a footlong. You cannot ask for a 9" and pay 150% of the 6" price.

As mentioned above, mathematically, "1 foot" is anywhere from 6" to 17.999"

Hmmm...

A few years back a bought a ranch that was specifically spelled out on the deed as being 2640 long and 1320 feet wide..... Apparently I got ripped off on the 80 acre purchase.....

Whats say you and I contact the seller and ask for the "other 40 acres" I didn't get...:confused::yesnod:

edit...............

The good news is my runway is now 4500 feet long...:yes::D

Last edited:
Actually, a better analogy would be if you ordered fuel by the 1000 gallon truck (I know, I know, not realistic...bear with me).

Some of the trucks would have 990 gallons, some would have 1010 gallons. It wouldn't matter, you'd pay for the truck, not the gallons.

But you still only pay for the fuel received, right?

Just gonna have to call the state Weights and Measures folks and have them come out and verify.

Subway will just tell their behind-the-counter folks to make sure there is an extra 1/2 inch of lettuce sticking out of each end. Or, if someone complains their foot-long sub isn't a foot long, hand them a sliver of green pepper and tell them where to stick it.

Somehow I don't see this going to the Supreme Court.

Actually, last time I was in Subway the board read 6".

Exactly. If they don't list it as 6.0" they can get by with +0.49999999.../-0.5 of the least significant digit.

Hmmm...

A few years back a bought a ranch that was specifically spelled out on the deed as being 2640 long and 1320 feet wide..... Apparently I got ripped off on the 80 acre purchase.....

Whats say you and I contact the seller and ask for the "other 40 acres" I didn't get...:confused::yesnod:

edit...............

The good news is my runway is now 4500 feet long...:yes::D

You were buying 120 acres?

This kind of reminds me of the local news stories where someone goes to the grocery store, buys a bunch of gallons of milk, then finds out that as many as 50% of the milk cartons had less than a gallon!

Ever notice when they cut the sub roll in half, it is never right down the middle? It's a conspiracy, Subway already new it was not actually 12".

I want Henning on my side...:yes:.

When he comes back to pick up Clarks truck I am going to drive to the local Subway shop, with a Stanley tape measure and order a 6" sub and a foot long sub..... I will have him videotape the entire transaction..;)..

At least I will have evidence when my trail for "public disturbance" gets to court..:yikes::eek::lol:

So now subway is gonna make all of their bread molds 13" to avoid this ridiculousness, and in a year or two some other law-bag is going to burn them for selling sandwiches with more calories than advertised, and all his class-action clients have the diabeetus as a result of thinking they were getting "only" footlong subs.

You were buying 120 acres?

According the Redtail, a foot could be anywhere from (As mentioned above, mathematically, "1 foot" is anywhere from 6" to 17.999")..

I am just trying to nail down the legal "unit of measurement"

I don't feel sorry for Subway. It wasn't too long ago that they sued another small restaurant for advertising "footlong" sandwiches. Subway claims that they own the term "footlong" and forced them to quit using it. If they're going to own the term "footlong" and keep other restaurants from using it - then their sandwiches had better damn well be a foot long. Otherwise, it would seem reasonable that another restaurant who actually sells 12" sandwiches should be able to use the term.

According the Redtail, a foot could be anywhere from (As mentioned above, mathematically, "1 foot" is anywhere from 6" to 17.999")..

I am just trying to nail down the legal "unit of measurement"

But when you bought 1320 x whatever feet, you go to the last unit of measurement and it's +/- half that measurement. So you could have gotten 1319.5 x n-0.5 ft to 1321.49999 x n+.49999 feet.

Although all the propery I've recently looked at they would have added the .0 to the end. 1320.0' x 2640.0' So the most I'd get shorted is 0.5" instead of 0.5' A couple pieces even measured out to nnnn.00'

Last edited:
.....A couple pieces even measured out to nnnn.00'

Agreed.... The newest survey GPS equipment is deadly accurate... One day, a few years back I was bored so I took out my certified 200' tape and measured the entire property.... it was within 1".. The thing that really astounded me was the corner pins were bronze monuments with date, 1899 stamped on them... I cannot for the life of me, figure out how they were able to be that accurate back then. And... they must have been pretty tough surveyers as they had to fight off indians and grizzly bears while they mapped out this part of Wyoming..:eek::yes:

Agreed.... The newest survey GPS equipment is deadly accurate... One day, a few years back I was bored so I took out my certified 200' tape and measured the entire property.... it was within 1".. The thing that really astounded me was the corner pins were bronze monuments with date, 1899 stamped on them... I cannot for the life of me, figure out how they were able to be that accurate back then. And... they must have been pretty tough surveyers as they had to fight off indians and grizzly bears while they mapped out this part of Wyoming..:eek::yes:

Hmmmm... There is still land out in West Texas that is surveyed in Cigarettes IIRC. Best it was explained to me it was the distance a man on horseback would cover rolling and smoking a cigarette. :rofl:

Back