Substitute CFI

Tony R

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Atrosa
I'm trying to take lessons at least 1 or 2 times a week, but my CFI is on a well deserved vacation. My question is it OK or bad form to have another CFI at the same school fill in one week so I don't go 2 weeks without flying? For reference, not that it matters... I'm a 53 year old student pilot. I work a bunch of hours in the investment world so my schedule is incredibly busy. I'm in no rush or a hard timeline, I just don't like to be inefficient. BTW my CFI is fantastic!

Absolutely it is ok. Any reasonable instructor will understand.

Exposure to another’s teaching style can be good. In fact, you may find a cfi who meshes better with your temperament & learning style (I, for one, cannot abide the constant stream of consciousness newer cfis spew into my headphones. Learning is an experiential experience for me...even if it’s watching as the instructor shows me how I should have done it.)

It’s your money. Spend it how you choose.

Always good to keep your skills up will get you ready for stage checks with different instructors.

Different instructors is definitely a good idea,different ones notice different things.If nothing else depends who it is it may make you thankful for the one you have lol

Put another way…. If your instructor has a problem with it, you have a problem.

I encourage it, occasionally demand it.

No problem. And if your fantastic CFI is reachable, ask them for a recommendation. Everything positive said above is true, and a fantastic CFI will be all for it.

The second set of eyes can benefit the instructor as much as the student. Plus, the CFIs talking about where you are, what you are working on, and where you seem to be having some difficulty, can have huge benefits for your training. (I learned all this as a student pilot Ann BTDT in both instructor roles.) It can also overcome the one and only potential downside at your stage (and it's a small risk), a clash in technique.

I have flown with five different CFI's as a student pilot. Each had a little different nuance to teach me, all very valuable. As Tools mentioned, if my CFI had an issue with it, tough $hi+....he/she should be mature enough to realize the value in another instructor's evaluation of their student's progress.

In this situation, I would have set you up with another instructor and briefed them on where you were at.
One of the reasons I had five different instructors was this^^^^^. Both of my primary CFI's wanted continuity of my experience in their absence.

I was your same age when I started training, I learned the hard/ expensive way to fly at first.
Until I figured out for me, twice a week is best for most.
A 2 week gap in training is tough.

Like everyone has said, for sure keep flying with another CFI if at all possible.
The school I leaned to fly at made sure I had an instructor and aircraft on my scheduled days. Most times I knew who and what plane but sometimes things changed but at least I still flew that day. I have had instructors tell me they were going to be off for vacations which was fine. They knew I flew with someone else at the school. It took me 5-6 CFIs for my private and 3 CFII for my instrument rating at 2 different schools for my instrument.

Last edited:
Yes, fly with another CFI while yours is out. My CFI had his CFII checkride a month ago and set me up with another for the day. I learned so much flying with someone else. A few things he did different really helped. The other day my CFI said he wanted me to fly with the other instructor again. I’m 55 and fly twice a week weather and Mx permitting, any less and it takes a lesson to catch back up.

Back