sUAS Course Review (from an Applicant and CFI side)

JustinD

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JustinD
So with all this sUAS stuff coming out, I figured I'd go ahead and get mine and do the course now, while its fairly simple before it becomes more complicated some day in the future! Plus its free and who knows, maybe it'll some day come in handy, worst case I spent some of my time on it and have an extra thing to talk about and toss on my resume. Just wanted to provide a little writeup on the course. Please forgive the long write up, but I'm bored at home and can't fly cause of classic Florida Weather. At the bottom I will go through what you need to do as an instructor to verify someones information as I have now done that as well. For the record I am not the FAA, I'm just a CFI and a pilot who has happened to do both of these so far and these were my experiences and what I observed. Please do not take it as official guidance

For us pilots its fairly simple so long as we have a current FR (or equivalent per 61.56) we are eligible to get the Remote Pilot Certificate with small Unmanned Aircraft System rating (sUAS) just by taking an online course and completing the test at the end of it (there are other ways but this appears to be the most simple). Then having a CFI, APD, FSDO, or DE verify your identification information and that it matches your course completion certificate. The course can be found at https://www.faasafety.gov its currently under Hot Topics, but can also be found by searching the course. You also get wings credit upon completion of the course. Prior to starting the course it says it takes about 2 hours to complete, I'd say they are just about right with that, I did it a little quicker and did it at a decent, but not quick pace. I spent the time to watch the videos and read it all. It is not boring, and can effectively be done in one sitting.

As for the course itself. Is a nice flash module that opens up and moves you through slide by slide basically showing appropriate picture graphics or video. It is basically divided into three main sections, then each section has several subparts. The main chapters are the Introduction, Aircraft and Remote Pilot In Command Requirements, and Rules for safe operation of small UAS. Each of those chapters is further divided into logical easy to follow and understand sub parts. At the end of each sub component there is a short 2-3 question review. As a current pilot many of us will find the information familiar and common to what we have already learned, however they do include the important new information on of the sUAS requirements and guidelines. Upon completion of the online course it will give you an optional knowledge check to review some of the things not covered in the course, or you can skip that and go straight to the main online test. If you do the optional knowledge check it will then obviously still lead you to the required test afterwards. The test has no time limit, and my test was 35 questions in length. If you paid attention and completed the course, you should have no issue successfully getting the 100% required to pass the test. Upon completion of the test it will give you a certificate of course completion to print and save. You will need this to show the person verifying your information and also to upload to the iacra so be sure to print it AND save it as a PDF. Overall the course itself is well designed and efficient. The FAA did a good job in my opinion recognizing what us as current pilots know already, and what we need to focus on for the new certificate.

So now you've completed the course, what next? Easy, log in to your IACRA and fill out a new application, the choice selection will be pilot, then the next drop down box will give you the option to click remote pilot. You go through fill out the application, insert the date of your last FR where it asks you and attach your course completion certificate where it tells you to. once you are all done review it and submit it. For whats next you'll need an instructor and just follow the prompts it leads you through. Simple process and once you are with an instructor should take no more than 20 minutes. Once its all submitted and the instructor (IACRA refers to a CFI as an RI - Recommending Instructor) Your temporary certificate should arrive in your email within an hour. and voila you are a Remote Pilot with a small UAS rating. your hard card arrives in the mail later like any new standard certificate and now you have an extra card to carry around.

It is possible to do this differently and actually take the full knowledge test required for non-pilots in a testing center instead, or to go through the paper 8710 and application process but of course those cost more money and/or take much more time.

As for what to do as an instructor (CFI) to verify someones information. On your IACRA account once you've logged in you will need to add a new role, on the left Click Add role, select recommending instructor and then continue. Log out and log back in and now it will give you the option to accept the TOS as an RI or as an applicant. When you are with a student and it follows them through their prompts eventually it will lead you to log in, when you do just accept the TOS as an RI. It will then be very clear what needs to be done and again just follow the prompts. But basically on your main IACRA page it will have a box to receive and process applications, punch in the students FTN number and it should bring up all that you need. All you are doing as a CFI in this instance is verifying that you verified their recency of a current FR per 61.56, proof of residency (DL, Passport,etc) to their pilot certificate and their course completion certificate. The process is straightforward and easy to follow along. It doesn't say you have to, but I like records of things so I had the person I did it for give me a copy of the signed acknowledgment of bill rights, and a copy of their course completion certificate and IACRA application.

That was just my experience with it. The course is a good course, worth your time for the extra certificate and bit of knowledge as we enter this new age with more and more UAS operations. It's also fairly simple from an instructor perspective to help students, especially current pilot applicants with a current Flight review. Hopefully this has helped you all, if not it helped me kill some time at home on this rainy afternoon!

Does the verifying CFI have to view your documents in person? I've completed the course and filled out the IACRA form, but am having trouble finding a CFI who's interested in figuring out how to do the sign off in IACRA. If I could send a copy of my documents to a CFI that might make it much easier to find someone.

I'm not sure if they have to verify it in person or not. For me thats something I would like to see in person but thats just a personal preference, I don't know for certain if the FAA would like it or require it one way or the other.

Yeah, quite a few of us have already taken the exam, completed our IACRA application and received our temporary. No big deal at all.

Does the verifying CFI have to view your documents in person? I've completed the course and filled out the IACRA form, but am having trouble finding a CFI who's interested in figuring out how to do the sign off in IACRA. If I could send a copy of my documents to a CFI that might make it much easier to find someone.

It doesn't specify, but in order for the CFI to complete the sign-off, the two of you need to be physically at the same computer (it requires you both to type in your passwords during the process). So you might as well bring the physical documents with you for verification.

And if a CFI can't figure out the IACRA portion of it, well, I don't know what to say. If the CFI has ever signed off a student for a checkride in IACRA, it's much simpler and should take NO training. It was very self-explanatory to me. Offer to pay them an hour at their usual rate if you have to (it really only takes a few minutes).

Nice write-up, Justin!

I did mine over the week-end. The IACRA thing is a PITA, but go slow and actually read while maneuvering thru it, and you'll be fine.

Jim

I did my 107 test months ago and completed all my stuff in IACRA on the 27th.. I already have my Temporary Certificate for the part 107. I am curious if it will show up on the "Airmen search" when it's all done.. My status right now is "received by registry"

I made an appointment at my local FSDO (Garden City NY) last week for it. My 107 app was the first one they'd processed, and 2 extra inspectors sat in on the meeting to see how it all was done. In the end, it went smoothly, but it does take a little while. Walked away from the FSDO with my temporary cert.

Does anyone know if the 107 info will show up in the FAA Airmen Registry search?

Does anyone know if the 107 info will show up in the FAA Airmen Registry search?

I'd imagine it will it is an airman certificate. CFI's, ground instructor, flight engineer, even flight attendant certificates show up on the airman registry so I'd imagine this will as well

I made an appointment at my local FSDO (Garden City NY) last week for it. My 107 app was the first one they'd processed, and 2 extra inspectors sat in on the meeting to see how it all was done. In the end, it went smoothly, but it does take a little while. Walked away from the FSDO with my temporary cert.

It will.

FYI for others: you don't need to go to the FSDO. Any CFI can accept the application and a link will be sent to your email account to download your temp certificate.

Hi everyone.
I would think it would Not show up if you requested to Not show up?

I would also think that CFIs would have to get another CFI, or FSDO to verify / accept the documents?

Hi everyone.
I would think it would Not show up if you requested to Not show up?

I would also think that CFIs would have to get another CFI, or FSDO to verify / accept the documents?

Your name will always show in the registry but you can block your address. No, as a part 61 certificated you can't submit your own application, but you can get another CFI to accept yours. This is because someone needs to independently verify your identification, training course completion certifiicate and flight review status.

If you take the knowledge test (and pay the ~$150) you can submit the application yourself (because the test center verified your ID and you don't have to show proof of a flight review).

If you do the standard FAASafety course i mentioned in my initial post, its completely free and any CFI could verify the info as stated above. It walks you through the process on IACRA. You just need to fill out the application on IACRA, then they need to log in and accept the Tos as an RI and then punch in your FTN number and they pull up your application and verify your information. and voile temp certificate in the mail. If you are instructor, just find another instructor to do it

Your name will always show in the registry but you can block your address. No, as a part 61 certificated you can't submit your own application, but you can get another CFI to accept yours. This is because someone needs to independently verify your identification, training course completion certifiicate and flight review status.

If you take the knowledge test (and pay the ~$150) you can submit the application yourself (because the test center verified your ID and you don't have to show proof of a flight review).
Government efficiency. If a CFI can't be trusted to verify his own identity, how can he be trusted to verify some else's?

Government efficiency. If a CFI can't be trusted to verify his own identity, how can he be trusted to verify some else's?
LOL. Same reason a flight instructor can't sign off his own flight review.

LOL. Same reason a flight instructor can't sign off his own flight review.
The better reason for that the point of a flight review is to have a second party evaluate your skills. In this case, that evaluation has already taken place. Isn't a CFI verifying his identity every time he logs into IACRA?

Hi everyone.
At the present time some FSDOs are 2 weeks behind in getting appointments, they claim it's due to the sUAS, for document verification.
It's best to use a CFI if you can find one.

Having CFIs self verify it's probably a good idea, and the way IACRA is now set up, where you can attach Images to better prove who you are, could be acceptable, but not likely to happen due to the way the gov requirements / procedures are.
That would definitely help with the present backlog that some FSDOs have.

Last edited:
I went to the FSDO based on the FAA's guidance:
An appropriate FSDO representative, a DPE, or an ACR will issue the applicant a temporary airman certificate (a CFI is not authorized to issue a temporary certificate; they can process applications for applicants who do not want a temporary certificate).

As I was doing a Part 107 job the next day, I needed to walk with a temp certificate. I had no idea that a temp certificate would be issued immediately electronically if one used a CFI instead.

The better reason for that the point of a flight review is to have a second party evaluate your skills. In this case, that evaluation has already taken place. Isn't a CFI verifying his identity every time he logs into IACRA?

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act requires the FAA to among other things, verify the identity of all applicants for an airman certificate. You can't self verify identity. Allowing CFIs (for part 61 pilots) or knowledge testing centers (for everyone else) to verify identity was the least onerous way to comply with the law.

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act requires the FAA to among other things, verify the identity of all applicants for an airman certificate. You can't self verify identity. Allowing CFIs (for part 61 pilots) or knowledge testing centers (for everyone else) to verify identity was the least onerous way to comply with the law.
You're missing my point. The FAA verified your identity when you got your CFI (and a bunch of times before that). It verified who you are when it gave you credentials for IACRA. You verify you are Brad Z every time you log on with those credentials. When you log on with your IACRA credentials, the FAA knows you're Brad Z. So even having to verify after that that you are indeed Brad Z is entirely redundant, let alone having someone else do it...

Hi everyone.
There seems to be some confusion, some people think that when you get your Certificate of Achievement, after you take the Exam and print it from the Inet., you do not need to do any thing else, which is Not correct, someone correct me if I am wrong. You will still need to have a CFI and or go to FSDO to get everything finalized, having to complete form 8710-13....

There is question about how long is the Certificate good for, some people say that it's only good for 90 days?Many of the Certificates issued on line Do have an expiration. Does anyone know for sure?

On the certificate it says valid for up 120 days like most other tempororay certificates (at least that's what mine says on my temp certificate)...You do require a temporary certificate, that course completion is not it! As I mentioned above once you go online to fill out the iacra it will walk you through the appropriate steps, you do however need to attach that course completion certificate to your iacra application to be eligible

In relation to the reset the flight review clock I would say no. They are two different privelages and different types of certificates. Just as a CFI renewal doesn't reset a full flight review I would say this does not either. The course even mentions you need a review every 24 months to keep this current as well.

n
In relation to the reset the flight review clock I would say no. They are two different privelages and different types of certificates. Just as a CFI renewal doesn't reset a full flight review I would say this does not either. The course even mentions you need a review every 24 months to keep this current as well.

I wonder. The CFI and the pilot certificate are two separate pieces of plastic. This adds a rating to the PILOT certificate, which is the one that requires a FR every 24 months UNLESS you add a rating, which this operation certainly does. This leads to the question as to whether the FR may be taken by flying a drone around for an hour under the eye of a CFI. And is there a drone CFI rating?

Methinks that the FAA didn't think this thing out very far before putting it into place.

Jim

n

I wonder. The CFI and the pilot certificate are two separate pieces of plastic. This adds a rating to the PILOT certificate, which is the one that requires a FR every 24 months UNLESS you add a rating, which this operation certainly does. This leads to the question as to whether the FR may be taken by flying a drone around for an hour under the eye of a CFI. And is there a drone CFI rating?

Jim

This is an entirely new certificate it's not attached to your pilot certificate (private commercial, ATP) or CFI

It's an all new certificate "Remote Pilot" you'll get an entirely new card for this as well with privelages "limitations" for Small Unmanned Aircraft System

Considering that the initial certificate doesn't require practical training or a practical test, I would expect that the 'review' is going to be a click-through flash presentation on the FAA site that refreshes your knowledge about any changes in part 107 that may have occurred in the preceding two years.

The FAA introduced this certificate not because they thought it was a good idea, but because congress put a gun to their head and forced them to do something. Congress in their wisdom however did not allocate any money to do that something. So the smart people at the FAA sat down and came up with something that could be implemented without the expenditure of measurable amounts of money.

You're missing my point. The FAA verified your identity when you got your CFI (and a bunch of times before that). It verified who you are when it gave you credentials for IACRA. You verify you are Brad Z every time you log on with those credentials. When you log on with your IACRA credentials, the FAA knows you're Brad Z. So even having to verify after that that you are indeed Brad Z is entirely redundant, let alone having someone else do it...
I understand your point. The fact is that the FAA must independently verify the ID of every new recipient of an airman certificate, regardless of whether they already hold an airman certificate. The law I cited previously does not allow self-certification.

n

Methinks that the FAA didn't think this thing out very far before putting it into place.

Jim
Methinks you are not up to speed on the regs. A "remote pilot certificate" is a separate certificate from any other pilot certificate issued under part 61.

For additional certificates or ratings, 61.56 only allows you to substitute a practical test for a certificate or additional rating in lieu of a flight review. There is no practical test for a remote pilot certificate.

Methinks you are not up to speed on the regs. A "remote pilot certificate" is a separate certificate from any other pilot certificate issued under part 61.

A remote pilot certificate is just as relevant to a part 61 certificate as a parachute riggers cerificate to a dispatchers certificate.

A remote pilot certificate is just as relevant to a part 61 certificate as a parachute riggers cerificate to a dispatchers certificate.

How so? Remote pilot is Part 107 not Part 61 whereas parachute riggers and dispatchers are both Part 65.

How so? Remote pilot is Part 107 not Part 61 whereas parachute riggers and dispatchers are both Part 65.

Should have said ag pilot or something else entirely unrelated.

Back