Stupidest Argument in Aviation

What is the stupidest argument in aviation?

• High wing v. Low wing.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Can an airplane take off from a treadmill?

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • Pitch controls... and power controls...

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Any argument about logging PIC that was covered by the Chief Counsel 20 years ago.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other (please post your answer)

Votes: 10 11.4%

• Total voters
Re: Stupedest Argument in Aviation

Who would want to fly an airplane where the nose wheel is installed on the wrong end of the air frame :loco::loco::loco:

:D:D
My Dad always refered to those as 'Training Wheels'.

Personally, I think the arguments against Evolution are really stupid. But that's just me, and it really is unrelated to aviation anyway.
Especially when you consider that the whole theory of evolution is false and easily proven to be false.

Here is why.

Observe squirrels.

We see squirrels dead in the street all the time. Squirrels who can cross without getting hitting should live long enough to breed while those that are unable to look both ways will die. The skill to look both ways and cross safely would be ingrained into into the population of squirrels by now and none of the ones that cannot look both ways should have survived and been killed off. Yet it is not so. Proving Darwin is wrong!

I rest my case.

:D:D

Now this brings up a question, why are there SO few low-wing tail draggers? I'm sure that could be an AWESOME arguement right there ;)

Now this brings up a question, why are there SO few low-wing tail draggers? I'm sure that could be an AWESOME arguement right there ;)

You mean like these?

fulton.JPG

2008_06_07_6049-b17.jpg

And this, but the fact that they are all nameable shows that there are few.
That is a Bellanca cruise master. I believe there is also a conversion for some type of Grumman to a tail dragger. I s'pose aerobatic planes are low wing, tail draggers too like the Extra 300 etc.
039147.jpg

And this, but the fact that they are all nameable shows that there are few.
That is a Bellanca cruise master. I believe there is also a conversion for some type of Grumman to a tail dragger. I s'pose aerobatic planes are low wing, tail draggers too like the Extra 300 etc.

How about nearly every fighter and bomber in WW2?

What costs more to send into space:
1 pound of feathers or 1 pound of lead?

Not space, but overnight with FedEx or UPS, the lead. You get into dimensional weight with the feathers because the box is bigger.

Not space, but overnight with FedEx or UPS, the lead. You get into dimensional weight with the feathers because the box is bigger.

???
Combining box size and weight, wouldn't the feathers cost more to ship by those carriers? I think the two sentences in the quote above tend to contradict one another, or I'm not parsing it correctly...

Just use one of those USPS boxes where "if it fits, it ships- same price to anywhere"

???
Combining box size and weight, wouldn't the feathers cost more to ship by those carriers? I think the two sentences in the quote above tend to contradict one another, or I'm not parsing it correctly...

Just use one of those USPS boxes where "if it fits, it ships- same price to anywhere"

Maybe I answered the question backwards.

Lead = cheaper.
Feathers = more expensive.

I was on the treadmill at a gym the other night and I got to thinking.....

But what if it has castering gear? :p

Re: Stupedest Argument in Aviation

Actually it was settled many, many years ago, but not in the way you think. How many low wing birds have you seen?

I think the birds have not had a chance to fully evolve yet, like the rose breasted tri-pacer evolved into the white winged Archer.:rolleyes:( no offense Barb, I love your T-pacer);)

Taildraggers are often used in off-airport operations. The low wing does not lend itself well to maneuvering in areas choked with brush or stumps or rocks.

bush.jpg

ak04%20the%20plane.jpg

A low-wing floatplane has issues with anything on the dock, and prevents the pilot's quick egress to the float to dock the thing. Wind and currents make it even more inconvenient.

ercoupe-EDO.jpg

pip-pa28s180.jpg

See the difference:

plane185_dock_large.jpg

Lots of low-wing taildraggers, in commercial service, are found as cropsprayers. The wing is a handy place for spray bars, getting them low where they need to be, and the low wing allows better visibility in the tight turns.

CessnaAgWagon2.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
Whether to moo during lessons or not...

Back