Stupidest Argument in Aviation

What is the stupidest argument in aviation?

• High wing v. Low wing.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Can an airplane take off from a treadmill?

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • Pitch controls... and power controls...

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Any argument about logging PIC that was covered by the Chief Counsel 20 years ago.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other (please post your answer)

Votes: 10 11.4%

• Total voters

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
The recent devolution of a legitimate new pilot question into the realm of whether birds could flap low wings got me thinking....

Re: Stupedest Argument in Aviation

The high wing/low wing debate was settled long ago. Sissies and ketchup eaters fly high wings, steely eyed manly men fly low wings. ;)

So to me the dumbest argument is if planes can take off of treadmills.

But I do have a question about the treadmill. Can the treadmill operator log any pic time while the plane is still on the treadmill?

Last edited:

wait a second, where was this devolution?

Wait, so you mean the speed of the wheels isn't what causes the airplane to fly?!

Quite obviously the stooopidest argument in aviation is arguing about the topic of the stoooopidest argument.:rofl:

Had to go with the treadmill, because it's a simple fact. The rest are at least open to some measure of interpretation, and thus argument.

But I do have a question about the treadmill. Can the treadmill operator log any pic time while the plane is still on the treadmill?

Only if his/her medical is current or if she/he is operating a light sport treadmill.

Had to go with the treadmill, because it's a simple fact. The rest are at least open to some measure of interpretation, and thus argument.

61.51 is pretty cut and dried.

61.51 is pretty cut and dried.

True, but the laws of man are not as immutable as the laws of physics! 61.51 could be changed if a strong enough argument were made, so I submit it is an issue open to argument!

Or if the treadmill is lighter-than-air...
Better add it to the flowchart. :)

But the helo version of the treadmill was much better.
helionturntable.jpg

Last edited:

The high wing/low wing debate was settled long ago. Sissies and ketchup eaters fly high wings, steeling manly men fly low wings. ;)

Actually it was settled many, many years ago, but not in the way you think. How many low wing birds have you seen?

It has to be the treadmill question because that's all about stupidity. The ATITPPA thing isn't a question, it's an attitude. The rest are more about different preferences.

I chose high wing vs. low wing - because it is the MOST IRRELEVANT thing. It doesn't matter if the plane is high wing or low wing - so long as you're comfortable flying it.

I chose high wing vs. low wing - because it is the MOST IRRELEVANT thing. It doesn't matter if the plane is high wing or low wing - so long as you're comfortable flying it.
Same here.

But if allow low wings then what's next? Wings & prop on the aft section? :D:D

I went with the treadmill query, but is that with or without a flight plan?

I vote for whatever Ron Levy and his foes are arguing about this week.

smigaldi; steely eyed manly men fly low wings. [/quote said:
No, they fly taildraggers. How many birds walk around with their beaks dragging in the dust?

Dan:D

No, they fly taildraggers. How many birds walk around with their beaks dragging in the dust?

Dan:D

Most flying birds don't seem to drag their tails on the ground either. I think to land an airplane like a bird we'd need something like a Segway for the landing gear.

Do planes miss the runway or does that refer to a standard instrument procedure?

Eg., trying to explain to fellow passengers on flights (2x this month :eek:) that

"No, the plane didn't miss the runway. (and, silently, hoping that they turn off channel 9)."

What costs more to send into space:
1 pound of feathers or 1 pound of lead?

Personally, I think the arguments against Evolution are really stupid. But that's just me, and it really is unrelated to aviation anyway.

Back