Display name:
Tom-D
Taken this morning

Attachments

• HPIM0487.jpg
    HPIM0487.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 147
We're flyin'... in the Fairchild!

How the heck did you get someone to hold the tail up, hold the right wing up a bit, blow into the pitot tube AND suck on the static port all at the same time!? ;)

Congrats!!

This morning was the day I was waiting for, calm clear no fog at BVS, and the F-24 was ready.

I went to the airport at 0900 took the fairchild out of the hangar did a good preflight, I had 60 gallons of 100LL and 4 gallons of oil every thing was attached, and working.

I started it, did the engine checks and taxied out to the runway, I thought I would take off 07, but we had just enough wind to make me rethink that and back taxi 25 and take off down hill.

It flew great, after being totally apart and rebuilt the left wing is a tiny bit heavy, and the rudder needs a tweek too. but all in all it flew great.

AS soon as I got off and was climbing out I called the agent at Kenmore 122.8 and asked him to call Barb and tell her I was airborn and every thing was working great and was on my way to BVS for landing practice, I had not flown the 24 for 7 years.

Whidbey approach gave me direct thru their airspace and the rest of the trip was smooth as it could be. I did a few shallow angle of bank turns and checked the stall speed (book says 45, and it quit flying and dropped the nose at 45) after I got over the farm land in the Skagit Valley near BVS.

Then announced the entry to the left down wind for 28 at Bayview. and then turned the base turn and got it slowed to 80 MPH and grabbed the first notch of speed brakes. retrimmed to 80 MPH. at 1200 RPM and turned final and made the best landing of the day.

The next 18 were not so pretty, but the Fairchild is still in one piece, I would do 6 and stop for a rest and then do another 6 and stop again, after I got 4 in a row that were nice I took off for home and the 25 foot wide runway at OKH Oak Harbor. Whidbey once again gave me direct so I would not have to stay out over the water and that placed me over head the airport and checked the sock, which favored 26 again so I set up for the down hill landing. and squeeked it..

There will be videos at youtube when they finish loading.. search "Fairchildflyer" there are a few there taken before.

It was rather anticlimatic after all the preparations to do it.

20 landings and 4.0 in the book

Last edited:
Hooray!

(Is the vacuum horn making suction ??)

Yep, it works great, runs the needle ball. Yeah I know the AI is banking, but I was playing with the camera.

Congrats. That's great.

OK, so I have never met you, and I guess I could claim that you're "just some guy with an airplane."

But, dammit, I got a little misty-eyed when I saw your post, and I feel like breaking out bubbly for you.

If you fly her to Gaston's, there's a bottle of good wine in it from me to you.

Thanks, so very much, for sharing as you have; it means a lot to us.

I studied the picture. The turn indicator is showing a slight right turn. The AH is showing a slight left turn!

The glare on the DG glass is deceiving, when you let go of the stick and take your feet off the rudders, it drops the left wing, and starts to turn. but I was holdig the needle ball centered.

I was playing with the camera, not paying attention .

I'm glad she's up and flying. That has to be the greatest reward for all the love and sweat put into such a project. I'm envious!

Nicely done.

PS; Do you ever suffer from PPD (post-project depression)?
I am thinking the only cure is.....another project!

Fantastic! Driving back from Pullman today I was thinking it would have been a beautiful day to fly. Looking forward to seeing that plane.

Congrats Tom it is great to see you have her in the air again.

Very, very exciting!!! I'm so glad to see it in the air!

Wow, that's fabulous, Tom!

I hate to be a party pooper ... but is it still wearing a "for sale" sign?

Congratulations! Spike hit it on the nose - following your stories on line since you brought her home makes me feel like I've "been there" with you - "Right," you say, "where were you when I needed an extra set of hands?" :)

Looking forward to seeing some videos once you have them posted. Well done, chief!

What a pretty panel. I love the red and cream.

What a pretty panel. I love the red and cream.

CREAM???????

That is SNOW WHITE as it gets

OBTW

The first video is posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31HcxXbY62g

It's a slow up load process..

"The Landing" is loading now

I tried to post the whole 27 minutes of the flight but it was too big..

I had to cut the video in to 2 parts and edit a bunch of the trip out..

Attachments

• close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 14
  • painted.JPG
    painted.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 11
  • installed.jpg
    installed.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 17
  • mag switch.jpg
    mag switch.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Congrats Tom! Now that is a labor of love well worth the reward!

I want more photos!!!

Or is there another thread somewhere?

Tom, this is great. Always glad to read such aviation related success stories. I too would like to see you and the plane at Gastons!

Congratulations Tom! That panel is very nice looking. Hard to believe it has been seven years. Great job.

Back