Student Pilot

autinjacob11

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jimmy
I am wondering what the first step to becoming a student pilot would be? I went into the IACRA website to try and fill out an application for a student pilot certificate but was asked for my knowledge test number. I’m assuming you have to take a class before taking the knowledge exam. Could someone help point me in the direction of what I need to do first with no experience. Thanks!

Find a local flight school. They should be able to tell you the rest.

Here in Canada the student permit comes after you have trained for a while, pass the PSTAR and they think you are ready to solo.

After that you still have to finish training and pass the check ride.

Since you seem to be starting from zero knowledge. Did you check how much it costs?

Not sure why IACRA asked you for a test number, maybe you selected the wrong applicant status at the beginning. But, you have completed the first step, signing up for an IACRA account.
Nevertheless, to complete the student pilot application, you'll need to be with an instructor, essentially sitting next to you at the same computer. At some point, you (and the CFI) have to go back and forth between yours and their IACRA account, for electronic signatures and verification (by the CFI, in person) of your citizenship status and English language proficiency.
As Seblp mentioned, your next step is to get with a CFI, but in the USA, you don't have to wait to apply for your student certificate. (You may start training prior to getting it, but it's required to solo, as well as a medical.)

Typical steps are: you go to a local flight training facility and have an introductory ride. You and the instructor go online and apply together for your student pilot certificate. You offer proof of citizenship and start your training. Your student pilot certificate arrives in about six weeks, and you need that to fly your first solo, as well as a medical certificate.

You spend thousands of dollars and live happily ever after.

no kidding:

1 - Take an introductory flight
2 - Go have lunch or dinner or something, and think about the flight.

If you're still smiling 2 hours after the flight, you might have to start flight training. If your reaction is "eh", then maybe it's not for you, or maybe you need to find a different place to take an introductory flight.

On this forum, pretty much everyone loves flying or they wouldn't be here, but not everyone does. A friend from work took an intro flight years ago, and just never found it interesting.

First, welcome! May your joys in the air be endless!

Second, DO NOT APPLY FOR A MEDICAL!!!!!

Now that I have your attention. Do you have anything in your past that might cause an issue? Are you taking any medications? If so, you will want to schedule a consultation with an AME first. If you apply for a medical and go for an exam, the AME has to either issue, defer, or deny. A deferment can be very expensive and very long to resolve. A denial can be really problematic (whether in office, or after a deferral).

A consultation is where the AME can discuss the issues with you, but no action will be taken, so if you have something that could trigger a deferral or a denial, you can still opt for a Sport Pilot approach to flying, whereas a denial would preclude that.

Again, welcome!!

I am wondering what the first step to becoming a student pilot would be? I went into the IACRA website to try and fill out an application for a student pilot certificate but was asked for my knowledge test number. I’m assuming you have to take a class before taking the knowledge exam. Could someone help point me in the direction of what I need to do first with no experience. Thanks!
You can’t get a student certificate without an instructor.

You can’t get a student certificate without an instructor.

The instructor needs to check your citizenship status and verify your passport or birth certificate.

The instructor needs to check your citizenship status and verify your passport or birth certificate.

Actually verify your age, ID, and that you read the privacy act and Pilots Bill of Rights.

TSA citizenship needs to be verified by the time of the first flight lesson. It does not involve IACRA. Student pilot certificate is not required until solo.

A student certificate involves
  1. The student setting up an account in IACRA and obtaining an FTN.
  2. The student filling out the application.
  3. Meeting with a FAA inspector an FAA-designated pilot examiner, an airman certification representative associated with a part 141 flight school, or any certificated flight instructor to verify identity (and check that you filled out the application properly). That's just basic drivers license or other government issued photo ID.
For fairly obvious reasons, the most common way of doing it is meeting with a CFI at a flight school who will walk you through the process, including filling out the application properly.

Back