Student Pilot - Intro, thoughts, questions

Kross

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kross
Kross's Journey to a PPL

***UPDATE 10/22/2013***
Updated the title of the thread to reflect more accurately what I had been using it for; my journey to a Private Pilot License.

---------------------------

Hello everyone!

I haven't really posted much on these forums until now but I wanted to thank you all nonetheless for being an incredible source of information for me!

Introduction
--I am a newbie; began my flight training last month in October 2012.
--I'm Part-61 and I usually only get to go out over the weekends due to my job and other responsibilities during the week.
--Thus far I have a little over 7 hours flight time. My CFI and I are "loosely" sticking to the Gleim course syllabus.
--I am training on an older (but in decent shape) Cessna 172M
--The aforementioned plane has zero extras; beyond the basic 6-pack, it really has nothing beyond the necessary RPM gauge, Oil gauges, VOR gauges, Hobbs, 2-Com cluster, and ironically an ADF unit which we haven't used.

Thoughts on my training thus far
--Due to the old-fashion-ness of the plane, the good thing is that I have learned to do things the "hard way".
--For example, this past weekend we did a 60+ NM trip spanning 2 airports and a refueling stop and I pre-planned and navigated the entire thing via landmarks and my handy paper sectional from 3,500ft cruising altitude.
--Also, I've gotten used to getting wind data from AWOS's closest to me via frequencies instead of turning to an app on a device.
--I am quick on polishing certain aviation skills such as navigation, controlled turns, traffic spotting, radio, and other general pilotage.
--Other skills I am still having a tough time with, such as: Smooth landings (I have, to date, had over 20 landings out of which 1 was a squeaky wheel, a handful were just "okay", and the rest were somewhat rough with 2 bumpy ones.)
--Takes-offs dead down the center. I would say I get some perfect ones in 1 out of every 3 times. But 2/3rds of the time, I am messing around slightly with the rudder and trying to keep the aircraft dead center on the line. I am not moving around so much that I am veering far to the side of the runway, but enough that it's a slightly wavy line down the center of the runway. I think I still need to practice steering on the ground some more. I'm fine with taxing though.
--Another thing that I need to work on is consistently keeping a designated altitude. I don't have auto-pilot and I have gotten pretty good with fine-tuning the aircraft with the trim wheel. However, if I have to study my sectional in the plane and concentrate, or am searching on the ground for a landmark or looking around for traffic that I heard on the radio, I tend to gain/lose 100 or so feet. I guess my multitasking skills need a lot of work still.

Questions
--I am getting a Nexus-7, 32GB (WiFi only) for my birthday this week (I'm turning 30!). I'll be using this as my designated flight buddy :) I have already spoken to my CFI who thinks it is okay for me to start using such an aid in the plane at this point.
--I am currently planning on getting the Garmin Pilot app. I have researched/read extensively on these forums regarding the pros and cons and it seems like Garmin's app tends to receive the most polish and updates over time (in comparison to say, Foreflight, Anywhere Map, etc). What do you guys think?
--I am also interested in any sort of other apps that would be helpful for me in the plane. I would prefer a one-time fee or free ones, of course. Any recommendations?
--Since my Nexus is WiFi only, I won't have updates in the plane other than its on-board sensors. But I do have the option of using my iPhone (yes, I have an iPhone and opted to go with a Nexus instead of an iPad mini) as a WiFi hotspot as a part of my current phone plan.

Last edited:
Welcome to Pilots of America! Jay Honeck would be a good guy to talk to about the Nexus 7, I know he flies with one and thoroughly enjoys it.

Welcome aboard! Everyone here loves to see a new student pilot.
--I'm Part-61 and I usually only get to go out over the weekends due to my job and other responsibilities during the week.
I did something similar. I was able to burst my training a few times to 3+ flights per week for a couple of weeks in a row, especially when I was trying to get over some hump or when I was preparing for my checkride. Even so, I found that a more casual approach to training meant it took a year and over 60 hours to finish. Just have an understanding that you might take a little longer and spend a little more, and try to work in some "cram weeks" to help with times that you're struggling a bit (they will almost certainly come). If you enjoy the journey, this won't be a hardship at all. Try not to be frustrated if you have to repeat some lessons, especially if you're getting stuck on something.
--Thus far I have a little over 7 hours flight time. My CFI and I are "loosely" sticking to the Gleim course syllabus.
I think working through a syllabus is helpful, but don't be afraid to repeat stuff. The goal is to learn!
--The aforementioned plane has zero extras; beyond the basic 6-pack, it really has nothing beyond the necessary RPM gauge, Oil gauges, VOR gauges, Hobbs, 2-Com cluster, and ironically an ADF unit which we haven't used.
This is actually a Good Thing. You don't want to be distracted by the bells and whistles at this point in your training. You are required to learn the basic operation, so this is not a "simple" aircraft - it is the "right" aircraft for your current level of training.
--Due to the old-fashion-ness of the plane, the good thing is that I have learned to do things the "hard way".
--For example, this past weekend we did a 60+ NM trip spanning 2 airports and a refueling stop and I pre-planned and navigated the entire thing via landmarks and my handy paper sectional from 3,500ft cruising altitude.
--Also, I've gotten used to getting wind data from AWOS's closest to me via frequencies instead of turning to an app on a device.
--I am quick on polishing certain aviation skills such as navigation, controlled turns, traffic spotting, radio, and other general pilotage.
--Other skills I am still having a tough time with, such as: Smooth landings (I have, to date, had over 20 landings out of which 1 was a squeaky wheel, a handful were just "okay", and the rest were somewhat rough with 2 bumpy ones.)
This isn't bad at all =) During your training, you will have a bunch of good landings, and then at some point your landings will suck and you'll wonder why. Know that THIS IS NORMAL and will pass.

From what I've heard, the same thing will happen to you six months after you get your cert. And a year. And 3 years. And... who the heck knows ;)
--Takes-offs dead down the center. I would say I get some perfect ones in 1 out of every 3 times. But 2/3rds of the time, I am messing around slightly with the rudder and trying to keep the aircraft dead center on the line. I am not moving around so much that I am veering far to the side of the runway, but enough that it's a slightly wavy line down the center of the runway. I think I still need to practice steering on the ground some more. I'm fine with taxing though.
--Another thing that I need to work on is consistently keeping a designated altitude. I don't have auto-pilot and I have gotten pretty good with fine-tuning the aircraft with the trim wheel. However, if I have to study my sectional in the plane and concentrate, or am searching on the ground for a landmark or looking around for traffic that I heard on the radio, I tend to gain/lose 100 or so feet. I guess my multitasking skills need a lot of work still.

Questions
--I am getting a Nexus-7, 32GB (WiFi only) for my birthday this week (I'm turning 30!). I'll be using this as my designated flight buddy :) I have already spoken to my CFI who thinks it is okay for me to start using such an aid in the plane at this point.
This is between you and your CFI, but make sure you are dead confident going without it, because during your checkride it is likely that your examiner will fail that device as a navigation aid.
--I am currently planning on getting the Garmin Pilot app. I have researched/read extensively on these forums regarding the pros and cons and it seems like Garmin's app tends to receive the most polish and updates over time (in comparison to say, Foreflight, Anywhere Map, etc). What do you guys think?
--I am also interested in any sort of other apps that would be helpful for me in the plane. I would prefer a one-time fee or free ones, of course. Any recommendations?
--Since my Nexus is WiFi only, I won't have updates in the plane other than its on-board sensors. But I do have the option of using my iPhone (yes, I have an iPhone and opted to go with a Nexus instead of an iPad mini) as a WiFi hotspot as a part of my current phone plan.
You are not allowed to use any mobile phone towers from the air, for the primary reason that you will screw up the mobile network, and your data won't work very well. Most aviation applications work by downloading maps and such to the device and are designed to work offline, so you won't need that hotspot in the air.

I will leave it to some of the CFIs on this forum to comment on the specifics of your experience.

I'm wondering why the CFI is taking you on 60nm XCs and you haven't soloed yet.

Thanks guys! :)

Dave Thanks! I'll wait for Jay or other members experienced with the Nexus 7 to weigh in then.

ChrisK Glad to be here!
I'm I know what you mean about Part-61 with a full time job taking longer. I'm actually fine with that. I have myself prepared for the training to last over a year for myself and well into 60+ hours. The reason being that it's one of those things that I have always wanted to do, so no reason for me to rush it or not to at least try to do it well. And personally, I thoroughly love even just the training itself! So it's not causing me any stress or impatience.

My plan is to have 10+ hours under my belt (if Pittsburgh's weather permits) before the end of the year. I have 7 currently, so that'll mean 1-2 good days of flying before the year's over. Then while winter sets in over here in Steeler-country, I'll buckle down and really hit the books to take my FAA knowledge test. I have been studying for it and taking practice tests already and have been decent in my scores just from studying the outlines. As my flying lessons progress, I have been doing in-depth studying of each corresponding study unit from the books as well. So my scores in the practice tests have progressively come up from the 80s to the high 90s for each respective unit as I move along.

As for the Nexus 7 being a navigation aid, my CFI said that he would still prefer me to do the pre-flight planning and notes on a paper sectional and my knee-pad but that he feels confident in my abilities on using it for reference during the flight. But I will keep what you said in mind; in the event I begin to rely solely on it during flights.

I should've clarified: I meant using my phone as a hotspot to download maps before I take off since some of the smaller facilities/strips around where I live don't seem to have public WiFi spots. But yeah, the plan usually would be to make sure I have the required maps/data even before I head out to the airport for the day.

I'm wondering why the CFI is taking you on 60nm XCs and you haven't soloed yet.

Not sure about that... but don't I have to pass my FAA Knowledge test before I can solo? I haven't done that yet btw.

I think 60nm XC was my longest, we usually fly out to a non-busy airstrip within a 35nm radius from the home strip to practice our lesson of the day.

I should've clarified: I meant using my phone as a hotspot to download maps before I take off since some of the smaller facilities/strips around where I live don't seem to have public WiFi spots. But yeah, the plan usually would be to make sure I have the required maps/data even before I head out to the airport for the day.
Ah right. That's all good then; however, I want to warn you that some of these downloads are *gigantic*. Even with unlimited data, you may find yourself waiting longer than you want to update maps. If you're just checking the weather, airmets, or updating TFRs or something, that's fine. I wouldn't count on your phone to download maps unless you had LTE, really solid coverage, and were OK with the data usage.

For me, I usually preflight my mobile devices the night before where I have fast reliable internet.

Ah right. That's all good then; however, I want to warn you that some of these downloads are *gigantic*. Even with unlimited data, you may find yourself waiting longer than you want to update maps. If you're just checking the weather, airmets, or updating TFRs or something, that's fine. I wouldn't count on your phone to download maps unless you had LTE, really solid coverage, and were OK with the data usage.

For me, I usually preflight my mobile devices the night before where I have fast reliable internet.

That's good to know. I do have LTE but not unlimited data, albeit I never even touch 1/10th of the data limit in a given month.

I'll just stick to loading maps at home before heading out then.

Hmmm, so is it a bad idea for the CFI to be taking me on 60nm XCs without me having solo'd first?

I guess, would it be a bad idea purely from a price-point (since i would pay less for a solo flight than for dual training)? Or from a training perspective of some sort?

Personally I don't even know if I'm ready for solo yet anyway, haha. I am still a bit rough on landings and tend to get slightly wavy sometimes on the center line when taking off if I am continuously trying to stay on the line with the rudder.

Hmmm, so is it a bad idea for the CFI to be taking me on 60nm XCs without me having solo'd first?

I guess, would it be a bad idea purely from a price-point (since i would pay less for a solo flight than for dual training)? Or from a training perspective of some sort?

Personally I don't even know if I'm ready for solo yet anyway, haha. I am still a bit rough on landings and tend to get slightly wavy sometimes on the center line when taking off if I am continuously trying to stay on the line with the rudder.

Dual cross country time is a requirement. Most CFI's will get a student through maneuvers, emergencies and solo usually before launching into cross country work. It doesn't mean it has to be done that way.

Welcome Kross.

I don't think there is anything at all in learning to navigate with pilotage/DR as you are. Learning the gadgets is easy after that! I can't be much help on the Nexus since I am not familiar at all.

Learning to land is the hardest part, and takes practice, even after you learn it. Hang in there.

Not sure about that... but don't I have to pass my FAA Knowledge test before I can solo? I haven't done that yet btw.

I think 60nm XC was my longest, we usually fly out to a non-busy airstrip within a 35nm radius from the home strip to practice our lesson of the day.

You only need a medical (student pilot certificate) to solo.

You should be working on basic stick and rudder skills, IMHO. I'm concerned that this CFI is taking you for a ride, but I'm sure someone with a real CFI ticket will chime in on that opinion.

About the keeping the plane straight on takeoff--it helps to keep your eyes focused at the far end of the runway. Also, depending on the left turning tendencies of your plane and how strong they are, you may be able to use just the right rudder pedal on takeoff and not hunt for straight all the way down the runway with both pedals. If you're drifting left, put in right rudder. If you're drifting right, put in less right rudder without taking it completely out. You'll get the feel for it eventually.

You only need a medical (student pilot certificate) to solo.

You should be working on basic stick and rudder skills, IMHO. I'm concerned that this CFI is taking you for a ride, but I'm sure someone with a real CFI ticket will chime in on that opinion.

Well, in his defense, we do (have) practiced the basic flying skills in the first 5 hours of flying time I have had. The basic/standard practices with turns (ailerons + rudder), how to use the rudder to crab for wind, trimming the control surfaces, throttle, mixture, etc. In addition to run through of various checklists from pre-flight to post-landing.

And much more on the ground (but you can only do so much basic flight instruction on the ground in theory).

This last XC trip came last weekend when our plan was to head to an airport 20NM away to do some more pattern work, but it ended up being pretty busy there due to the good weather. We had expected that and I had pre-planned a flight out to another non-busy strip 38NM from the first airport.

So after a TnG landing and a full-stop landing at the first airport, we headed to the second one 38NM away to do some more full-stops, then refueled (and used the facilities there), and headed back home. All in all a little over 2 hours on the Hobbs.

Don't worry about the landings. They will come with time. And then go away. :D Getting my IR was the worst thing for my landings. :D:D

I'm surprised that your CFI has you flying XC so early. We went to other airports prior to solo, but nothing really that far away. Got to see other fields, mostly non-towered. Got us out of OLM's hair. :D

About the keeping the plane straight on takeoff--it helps to keep your eyes focused at the far end of the runway. Also, depending on the left turning tendencies of your plane and how strong they are, you may be able to use just the right rudder pedal on takeoff and not hunt for straight all the way down the runway with both pedals. If you're drifting left, put in right rudder. If you're drifting right, put in less right rudder without taking it completely out. You'll get the feel for it eventually.

That's actually a good idea.

I recently bought USB rudder pedals for my PC at home and have been practicing on them in Microsoft's Flight Simulator X. They've actually improved my taxiing quite a lot in real life. In my opinion a simulator can never really give you the full feel of an aircraft, but my hope is to embed the basic rudder movement into muscle memory so it's no longer something I have to force/will myself towards, and hence over-analyze.

Don't worry about the landings. They will come with time. And then go away. :D Getting my IR was the worst thing for my landings. :D:D

I'm surprised that your CFI has you flying XC so early. We went to other airports prior to solo, but nothing really that far away. Got to see other fields, mostly non-towered. Got us out of OLM's hair. :D

Hahaha, I'll try not to worry too much. Everyone at my local airstrip told me the same thing.

I agree with others that taking you out on XC's (flights exceeding 50 nm) this early could be taking advantage of your noobie-ness and wallet.

Sure, do that post solo when it's time, but let's focus now on the short hops and (1) gaining proficiency in basic control of the aircraft, (2) ground reference manuevers, (3) comfort using the radio, and (4) landings.

On the medical end -- there can be some gotcha's there if you're not prepared. Read through the FAA 8500-8 form (click here to view) especially questions 17 and 18. If any of those are a yes, get back with us in the Medical Forum to discuss what you need to gather up to bring to the medical exam.

At 30 yrs old, likely there isn't much that applies to you, but you never know. And if you go into the AME totally unprepared, it can start a very expensive chain of events.

Last edited:
I agree with others that taking you out on XC's (flights exceeding 50 nm) this early could be taking advantage of your noobie-ness and wallet.

Sure, do that post solo when it's time, but let's focus now on the short hops and (1) gaining proficiency in basic control of the aircraft, (2) ground reference manuevers, (3) comfort using the radio, and (4) landings.

We have done basic maneuvers, ground reference work, radio work, and landings. Even on the trip, as I explained above, we did a total of 7 landings; 2 at the first strip and 4 at the second, with the final one being back home.

But I will have to keep this in mind in the event that this indeed is me being taken advantage-of.

On the medical end -- there can be some gotcha's there if you're not prepared. Read through the FAA 8500-8 form (click here to view) especially questions 17 and 18. If any of those are a yes, get back with us in the Medical Forum to discuss what you need to gather up to bring to the medical exam.

At 30 yrs old, likely there isn't much that applies to you, but you never know. And if you go into the AME totally unprepared, it can start a very expensive chain of events.

I actually already have my Third-Class Medical Certificate. No issues there.

I got that right after my intro flight from an AME close to my work place in downtown Pittsburgh. I have never worn glasses and have no health conditions, so it wasn't very complex to navigate that.

Hello everyone!

I haven't really posted much on these forums until now but I wanted to thank you all nonetheless for being an incredible source of information for me!

Introduction

That's the way it is. That won't help you "finish" in the minimum hours, but since the objective (I assume) is to fly, then, well, so what.

6 pack, 2 com, VOR? That's a lot of stuff. Way more than I fly with - but you need at least some of that for the current PP ride.

When you figure out the secret, let us know.

Where are you looking?

Are you looking at the end of the runway or looking at all the fancy stuff on the I-P? Checking gauges, staring at the airspeed waiting for a "rotation" speed, etc, will not help you keep it straight. An occasional glance is OK, but look at the runway and feel the airplane.

I didn't even fire up the Ipad, until after my IFR rating :)

If you get it and it make you comforable, fine.. Don't use it as a crutch. Make sure it gets some back seat time too...

Well, in his defense, we do (have) practiced the basic flying skills in the first 5 hours of flying time I have had. The basic/standard practices with turns (ailerons + rudder), how to use the rudder to crab for wind, trimming the control surfaces, throttle, mixture, etc. In addition to run through of various checklists from pre-flight to post-landing.

And much more on the ground (but you can only do so much basic flight instruction on the ground in theory).

This last XC trip came last weekend when our plan was to head to an airport 20NM away to do some more pattern work, but it ended up being pretty busy there due to the good weather. We had expected that and I had pre-planned a flight out to another non-busy strip 38NM from the first airport.

So after a TnG landing and a full-stop landing at the first airport, we headed to the second one 38NM away to do some more full-stops, then refueled (and used the facilities there), and headed back home. All in all a little over 2 hours on the Hobbs.

Getting out and around is a good thing, I would think. You may not be wringing the absolute most out of your dual instruction dollar to get your ticket in the minimum time - but - what good is a plastic card if you don't know what to do with it.

Look at the form for the medical and be sure there are no doubts about being able to pass BEFORE you go. Most people have no trouble at all, but ocassionally there is a glitch due to a past diagnosis, medication, etc. that can blow up in your face.

Where are you looking?

Are you looking at the end of the runway or looking at all the fancy stuff on the I-P? Checking gauges, staring at the airspeed waiting for a "rotation" speed, etc, will not help you keep it straight. An occasional glance is OK, but look at the runway and feel the airplane.

Usually looking straight ahead right above the nose at the center lines (but not at the very horizon of the runway).

I glance at the airspeed now and then to see if I'm approaching the rotation point though. And you're right, whenever I do that, it does throw me off slightly. I guess with time I will learn to feel the aircraft's rotation point approaching and would need to glance at the gauge fewer times.

I had an issue that was solved by correcting my foot positon on the rudder pedals. Then I could feel them better and control lateral movement. Haven't had a problem since (if you exclude the time I wore heavier shoes and didn't know I had left rudder input during a night XC)

I had an issue that was solved by correcting my foot positon on the rudder pedals. Then I could feel them better and control lateral movement. Haven't had a problem since (if you exclude the time I wore heavier shoes and didn't know I had left rudder input during a night XC)

What (if you can explain it verbally) was the incorrect foot position and how did you solve it?

It was the way I was resting my heels on the floor and then flatfooting the rudder pedals when I needed to use them (which at that time - I thought was only during takeoff, landing and taxi). This caused me to have to lift my foot off the floor to place them on the pedal.

Imagine doing legs lifts from a seated position. You're using the muscles in your solor-plexus and lower back. By doing so, you reduce the feel and feedback that is provided by the pedals.

Once on the runway, the pressure required should feel constant and the rudder pedal should push back on your foot if you have it correctly.

This rudder feel is also learned by doing power-on stalls (another stick and rudder drill that your CFI should have you doing). See...building blocks...

Ask your CFI to take a look at your feet and then take a look at his.

Another way of thinking of correct rudder/foot position is the accelerator pedal on your car/truck.

When you want "more" out of your car or truck, you slowly add pressure to the gas pedal. When you've added too much, you let off.

Right rudder on take off is same way. As you add power with the throttle, you need to add "more" right rudder, so you apply more pressure with your foot (heal on floor, ball of foot on pedal). If you need more right rudder to counteract the left turning tendency caused by the engine torque, push a little it harder. Too much and you're going to the right, ease off a bit.

Eventually, you find a good spot for your heel/thigh pressure to be for the "gross" correction, then you just add or remove "fine amounts" from your ankle/calf.

It was the way I was resting my heels on the floor and then flatfooting the rudder pedals when I needed to use them (which at that time - I thought was only during takeoff, landing and taxi). This caused me to have to lift my foot off the floor to place them on the pedal.

Imagine doing legs lifts from a seated position. You're using the muscles in your solor-plexus and lower back. By doing so, you reduce the feel and feedback that is provided by the pedals.

Once on the runway, the pressure required should feel constant and the rudder pedal should push back on your foot if you have it correctly.

This rudder feel is also learned by doing power-on stalls (another stick and rudder drill that your CFI should have you doing). See...building blocks...

Ask your CFI to take a look at your feet and then take a look at his.

According to the syllabus we're supposed to be doing "Emergencies and Stalls" next time we fly. So I'm hoping it comes up then. If not, I'll bring it up.

Ironically I use rudders with my heels on the ground, but I still can't get the pressure on the right rudder perfectly most of the time during take off. I guess pretty much the only time I lift my heels is when braking on the ground.

Another way of thinking of correct rudder/foot position is the accelerator pedal on your car/truck.

Right rudder on take off is same way. As you add power with the throttle, you need to add "more" right rudder, so you apply more pressure with your foot (heal on floor, ball of foot on pedal).

That's a great way of putting it! Thank you!

As a student, I needed to figure out that I use the rudder with the balls of my feet. Heels on the floor was not enough in a 172. I could (and did!) actuate the brakes with my heels on the floor. Once that went away, my landings became quite a lot better.

It is NOT the same as the accelerator on a car.

And my feet aren't that big.

Re: Student Pilot Apps - AeroFlare

We have been testing an application with some students called AeroFlare; it records and analyzes landings and landing performance as well as recording x-Country flights. We find this useful for student solos in the pattern and cross country flights because we can debrief with the student afterwards and see what speed, altitude, attitude, and location the plane was in throughout the flight. Initial reactions are very positive.

Reference: AeroFlare iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aeroflare/id555686058?mt=8)

Just kind of keep track of the hours, Kross, and congrats on the training. It's an awesome thing.

I've seen other CFI's try and pull this maneuver before until a student with some common sense steps up and says he's not going to pay for the 20+ extra hours that were snuck into his training at an hour here and an hour there so the CFI could make a few extra bucks. The FAA requires 40 hours with various standards that have to met as well. If you're sitting at 35 hours and half way done with your training it might be time to ask what the heck is going on. If you are following a syllabus then stick to the syllabus, keep the hobbs around 1.0 to 1.5 and stray away from anymore unnecessary 60nm trips. Remember, they're on your dime.

Welcome to the group. I'm not a CFI but I do know that normally the first 10-15 hours is geared toward getting the student to solo: handling the aircraft, stalls, traffic pattern, go-arounds, takeoffs and landings, ground reference maneuvers. Landings and more landings and more landings.
Flight training has a high dropout rate. Most students quit before soloing. Therefore if the instructor can get the student to solo, the student is more likely to continue than to quit because then he has achieved something. The student does not need to know about Navigation, Flight Planning, use of sectional charts, etc, to fly around the pattern three times.

We have done basic maneuvers, ground reference work, radio work, and landings. Even on the trip, as I explained above, we did a total of 7 landings; 2 at the first strip and 4 at the second, with the final one being back home.

But I will have to keep this in mind in the event that this indeed is me being taken advantage-of.

Typically us CFI types will show you the basic flight maneuvers, stalls, slow flight etc

Once you have that down next step is to get you to your first solo.

After you fly solo a few times around the patch we go on the DUAL x-countries.

If you dont get lost you go up the next day and do the SAME x-country SOLO, this way it is FRESH in your mind.

This is the reason it is a little odd that he has you doing the dual x-countrie stuff BEFORE you do your first solo.

I am not sure I would say you are being used, however if you were my student all we would be doing is T&Gs at the home airport, until you solo.

As for the gadgets and apps, you will get ALOT more for your money if you learn how to fly the damn plane without all that crap!

Yes SOME of those items are tools, however learning how to fly with the basics (which is ALL you need btw), WILL make you a better aviator, and get your more for the money you are spending on LEARNING how to fly.

Look at it like this, I teach your kid how to do multiplication, he demonstrates his multiplication tables once, then I give him a calculator and say, he should use all the tools available for the rest of his schooling, doesnt sound too good, now does it.

Wait until you have your PPL and a 100hrs under your belt, THEN start experimenting with what all the modern tech can do for you :yes:

I actually already have my Third-Class Medical Certificate. No issues there.

I agree, if your reasonably healthy it should be a non event.

I did have one odd one, where the doc wasnt so much making sure I was OK to fly, he was more looking for problems and folks tend to find what they look for even if it isnt really there, if you get what I'm saying. Fortunately for me I'm in great shape and nothing came of it...well aside from me not giving him my business again.

I think it's safe to say that the consensus is as follows for the most part:

1) Dual XCs should come after a solo, or close to it, which is clearly not the case here. I will follow up with my CFI (in an intelligent, non-accusing way) to make sure that we stick to more of a usual step-up schedule.

2) I should stick to the analog panel and not start using my tablet yet; doing so would allow my newly attained navigation skills to get somewhat rusty when I should clearly be honing them over the upcoming hours.

THANK YOU everyone! :thumbsup:

I will make sure I report back once my next lesson occurs (probably post-turkey day :)).

1) Dual XCs should come after a solo, or close to it, which is clearly not the case here. I will follow up with my CFI (in an intelligent, non-accusing way) to make sure that we stick to more of a usual step-up schedule.

2) I should stick to the analog panel and not start using my tablet yet; doing so would allow my newly attained navigation skills to get somewhat rusty when I should clearly be honing them over the upcoming hours.

I will make sure I report back once my next lesson occurs (probably post-turkey day :)).

Bingo!

Agreed on #2. A good plan, plotted out on your sectional and a nav log will never suffer failure due to loss of battery power.

On navigating, if your aircraft is equipped with two CDI's learn to use "crossing radials" as a means of verifying you're at the right waypoint.

On your sectional, draw your course line. Then find two nearby VOR's and draw lines from the VORs to a prominent waypoint (lake, two major roads crossing, road and railroad crossing, etc) on or very near your course line.

On your nave log, note the VOR frequency and the radial form the two VOR's that crosses your waypoint.

On your Nav radio's, set the frequencies. Turns the OBS on each CDI to the correct radials.

When the needles on both CDI's center, then you should be directly over the visual point you selected.

Even if NAV1 is being used as your direct line of flight, this idea works using NAV2 and multiple radials from a nearby VOR to ensure you're crossing your waypoints as planned.

Enjoy the training and keep us updated on your progress!!

This is correct if you are referring to the written test just prior to your checkride.

This is not true if you are referring to the pre-solo test required in FAR 61.87b.

-Skip

This is correct if you are referring to the written test just prior to your checkride.

This is not true if you are referring to the pre-solo test required in FAR 61.87b.

-Skip

A pre-solo test is just a worksheet from the flightschool, what's vx,vy, max fuel, req docs for a student pilot to solo, etc. You complete it, flight school files it away and that's that.

Back