Student Pilot...Advise?

Piperdriver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Piper Driver
Student Pilot...Advice?

Hello All,

I am a new member here. I am looking for some advise from some experienced Pilots. I am currently getting my PPL. I am just under 30 hours in. I currently work as a Nurse, however, I don't think this will be my lifelong career. Flying has sucked up all my funds, taking out a loan to finish a PPL seems unrealistic and better saved for the commercial leg of the journey. I am considering putting the remaining of the flight training on a credit card that has no interest for two years... Thoughts on this approach? Any advise in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Going into debt for training can be very problematic. You're borrowing money to afford to fly and because of the debt you won't have money to fly, etc. It's a vicious cycle that can leave with a ticket, but no ability to fly. Be realistic about your time table and slow the roll if you have to in order to keep paying out of pocket.

Enjoy the journey!

Many of us here are "no debt for toys or recreation activities" types, including me. So I say no to your idea of the zero interest credit card.

While it sounds good upfront, there are many hidden landmines on your path of good intentions. Job loss, life emergencies, accidental late payment and much more could cause you to fall off the cliff and wind up owing a huge amount of interest payments.

As a nurse, I would hope you're well employed, maybe very well employed. With 30 hours of training, you're likely 2/3's of the way along, and might only need $2500-3000 to finish. If you shrunk other parts of your budget (such as no restaurants, cut out cable TV, shrink call phone to most basic plan, etc), how long would it take you to save up this extra money? How about if you took on an extra shift or two or picked up a bit more overtime?

I'm thinking that pushing the pause button on training to refill the training fund is a worthwhile (and better) concept. Then this summer, pick up where you left off.

But stay away from the plastic snakes.

Thanks for the advise, I have considered this as well. I am impatient, and want to complete the training quickly. Though, I realize that it is not practical to go into debt when I can pay out of pocket. My boyfriend is a commercial pilot and nudges me on the importance of not dragging out the process and spending more money in the ling run...Pressure!
Thanks again!

Hello All,

I am a new member here. I am looking for some advise from some experienced Pilots. I am currently getting my PPL. I am just under 30 hours in. I currently work as a Nurse, however, I don't think this will be my lifelong career. Flying has sucked up all my funds, taking out a loan to finish a PPL seems unrealistic and better saved for the commercial leg of the journey. I am considering putting the remaining of the flight training on a credit card that has no interest for two years... Thoughts on this approach? Any advise in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What are you paying per hr for the plane and CFI.

I'm surprised a RN is tapped out at 30hrs.

Can you BF help out? Does he have a aircraft you can use? Can he act as your CFI?

Thanks for the advise, I have considered this as well. I am impatient, and want to complete the training quickly. Though, I realize that it is not practical to go into debt when I can pay out of pocket. My boyfriend is a commercial pilot and nudges me on the importance of not dragging out the process and spending more money in the ling run...Pressure!
Thanks again!

That explains alot...:rolleyes:

Thanks again!

The skills are perishable, but you could minimize this by flying maybe once every other week with your CFI doing the basics like landings, pilotage, etc.

And tell commercial boyfriend that if he wants you to hurry up, HE can pay for the lessons. Otherwise, back off.

Many of us here are "no debt for toys or recreation activities" types, including me. So I say no to your idea of the zero interest credit card.

While it sounds good upfront, there are many hidden landmines on your path of good intentions. Job loss, life emergencies, accidental late payment and much more could cause you to fall off the cliff and wind up owing a huge amount of interest payments.

As a nurse, I would hope you're well employed, maybe very well employed. With 30 hours of training, you're likely 2/3's of the way along, and might only need $2500-3000 to finish. If you shrunk other parts of your budget (such as no restaurants, cut out cable TV, shrink call phone to most basic plan, etc), how long would it take you to save up this extra money? How about if you took on an extra shift or two or picked up a bit more overtime?

I'm thinking that pushing the pause button on training to refill the training fund is a worthwhile (and better) concept. Then this summer, pick up where you left off.

But stay away from the plastic snakes.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Before going the credit card route. Sit down with you flight instructor and discuss your situation. If you can dedicate a certain amount a month towards training they/he will probably work out a schedule with you. I am never a fan of unnecessary debt.

Thanks again!

Maybe your BF will make the payment for you. :rolleyes:

No training on credit, not a good idea. Good luck on completing the PPL.

My Boyfriend currently is my CFI. I pay $198/hr for plane/instruction. I've been told this is the cheapest I can get. I'm sure there are cheaper flight schools, however I am not relocating. BF has not offered to help, and I am way too proud to ask.. I can do it on my own. I'm an LVN, not RN. I have considered doing two flights a month so I don't lose the skill I have gained, then doing the RN upgrade so I can pay for the commercial out of pocket. I make good money as an LVN though now I am living like a broke college student again with all the flight training. I think putting the brakes on is the best idea and flying minimally. Thanks for the input, nice having some advise from people removed from the situation.

My Boyfriend currently is my CFI. I pay $198/hr for plane/instruction. I've been told this is the cheapest I can get. I'm sure there are cheaper flight schools, however I am not relocating. BF has not offered to help, and I am way too proud to ask.. I can do it on my own. I'm an LVN, not RN. I have considered doing two flights a month so I don't lose the skill I have gained, then doing the RN upgrade so I can pay for the commercial out of pocket. I make good money as an LVN though now I am living like a broke college student again with all the flight training. I think putting the brakes on is the best idea and flying minimally. Thanks for the input, nice having some advise from people removed from the situation.

You are paying your boyfriend 60-70 an hour???:yikes:

I think it's $55, and he told me the money goes to the school and he makes nothing as he is on salary.

What type aircraft?

Around many parts of the country, the typical rate for C172+instructor is $150-ish

But you are overpaying by quite a bit.

Advice

I am not an Internet grammar snob, but this one always gets under my skin.

Flight training in my area runs for $110-$135 depending on the aircraft used. That includes the instructor. Out of curiosity, what type of aircraft are you using for your training?

I fly 172R. I'm sure there are cheaper schools out there. I live in Northern CA. The school primarily trains students from other countries. I believe I was one of the first domestic students, there is one other now. I'm not sure why the rates are higher, it is what it is. I certainly will not be doing my commercial through them. Probably ATP, fast paced and no one else can compete with their prices.

Flight training in my area runs for $110-$135 depending on the aircraft used. That includes the instructor. Out of curiosity, what type of aircraft are you using for your training?

Let's hope she says a brand new Cirrus SR22...;)

Edit...............Too late...:redface:

I fly 172R. I'm sure there are cheaper schools out there. I live in Northern CA. The school primarily trains students from other countries. I believe I was one of the first domestic students, there is one other now. I'm not sure why the rates are higher, it is what it is. I certainly will not be doing my commercial through them. Probably ATP, fast paced and no one else can compete with their prices.

Where in northern CA? I may have a few suggestions.

You can almost certainly get the price down by using an older 172. 172Ns are just everywhere.

I have had the pleasure of flying some multi engine aircraft. However, the Cessna is my usual plane.... Which I enjoy very much, though she can be a pain to land. Piper driver was just an easy name, as the Seminole has been my favorite so far.

Redding, CA.

Oh well. I know a few pilots up there, but no instructors. Yes, it's limited.

But a 172R is not a very good choice if cost is an issue, unless it's unusually cheap. Usually, they are $20-$50 per hour more expensive than a 172N. N's actually fly better (lighter, and more flap).

Save up some money, then continue your training. While you're taking a break, hit the books and study for the written!

Where I instruct the 172 (M & P models) goes for $140 and $45 for instruction, so $185 total.

Where I instruct the 172 (M & P models) goes for $140 and $45 for instruction, so $185 total.

No wonder kids nowadays are in sticker shock when learning to fly...

Back in 1980, the 152 was 23 wet. 172 was 25 wet.. Instructor was 12 an hour... and you could by 10 hour blocks for 100 dollars..:redface:

Why the push to go commercial?

I agree training on credit cards is very bad even if it is interests free for two years. Usually if the balance isn't paid at the end of two years they get to add all that interest back in.

Why is your boyfriend charging for lessons or why are you his student? Just seems like a bad idea.

Just for some information: my lessons cost me $35 for instructor and $135 for 172 wet. Part of the large increase in cost from the 80s seems to be fuel and insurance.

You want to move from health care into aviation? Sorry, so far all of the career changers who've come through my office have been moving the other way.

Get your bachelors and your RN. You'll make more than enough to fly whenever you like.

No wonder kids nowadays are in sticker shock when learning to fly...QUOTE]

I agree. Don't know how they swing it. Out of the $45 I get $30 and the school gets the rest.

I would ADVISE you to find a rental airplane not associated with the BF's school and have him instruct you in his time off for free. I'm sure he wants to spend his time off with you anyway :)

That can cut your finish up cost in half. Just don't dump his dumb *ss for not suggesting it at the outset.

Re: Student Pilot...Advice?

Call Alicia at Northgate Aviation at CIC. She's got a 172 and a 150 available for rent. I don't think she'd have a problem renting to you/BF for instruction. Sure it's an hour drive, but you can hit the fruit stands on the way home.

If your BF won't instruct in someone else's plane, that's a red flag there. It's almost like he has some skin in the game with IASCO.

I would never fly one of their 172s...they're not very new or well equipped from what I remember.

But, Chico is your easiest bet. RBL may have someone--call Tom at Cardan--he can point you in the right direction there.

That all being said, as good as your BF is, don't let him be the required CFI unless you really want to. $55 is expensive even by Northern CA standards and I personally have an issue of conflicts of interests with getting instruction from people you're "related to".

My grandfather had a CFI...he'd never teach any of his family to fly, rather he insisted that if any of us wanted to, he'd recommend many other CFI's...he didn't want to feel responsible for teaching us wrong or missing something. I have to respect that.

On another note--if you're really wanting to go the commercial route, you ought to consider buying. There are many economical aircraft out there and if I were to take debt on for anything, I'd rather it be on a hard asset than a credit card for training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back