Student pilot: 21 year old DUI, sober for 19 years, active in recovery

Disgusting you had to put up with bloated bureaucracy like that, but congrats.

For those of you who have been following along at home and for those who may stumble into this thread in the future, I wanted to put on a bow on all of this and wrap it up. I don't want to sum the financial impact of being deferred, seeing the HIMS neuropsych, having several monthly HIMS visits (before application submittal), and having random UAs for over a year, mostly because it's really only a drop in the costly world of aviation.

The finishing touch to this saga is that I took my PPL checkride on Friday 9/24/21 and passed. The broad timeline:
  • applied for medical on 7/6/20
  • denied with HIMS encouragement 9/14/20
  • continued flying with CFI twice/month (weather permitting)
  • neuropsych visit in early 10/20
  • admitted to HIMS in late 12/20
  • reapplied for 3rd class medical 3/21
  • received medical 7/29/21 (with 47.3 hours in the books)
  • solo 9/7/21 (57.6)
  • checkride 9/24/21 (69.3)
  • first joy ride with the GF 9/26/21
For those who may stumble across this post in the future, if you are willing persevere through the bureaucracy, you CAN come out the other side with a medical and eventually a license. I can tell you right now that the realization of a childhood dream has been TOTALLY WORTH IT. I learned a lot about the FAA's bureaucracy from this experience and also realized that yeah, users of pilotsofamerica.com are really just a random bunch of POTI but many of them have a ton of knowledge and they're all willing to share that knowledge.

Thanks again, users of POA, for all of the encouragement along the way. If any of you find yourself in SW Montana, let me know. Would be happy to connect with you.

Congrats!

I can only imagine the joy you feel. I am very happy for you man.

I am hopeful and pray that some day I could post such news. God is good.

I wish that my HIMS program went as smoothly as yours. FAA denied me a special issuance with full support of my HIMS doctors and over 2 years of negative drug screens. Don’t know if I should continue with monitoring or just give up.

I wish that my HIMS program went as smoothly as yours. FAA denied me a special issuance with full support of my HIMS doctors and over 2 years of negative drug screens. Don’t know if I should continue with monitoring or just give up.

That sucks. I'm really sorry. I wish I could offer more than just empathy.

You should consult with Dr. Bruce Chien or Dr. Lou Fowler - both contributors here - to see if they can help your situation. Both are highly skilled in the area of "difficult" medical certificates.

Proud of you fella. Stuck with it. If you ever lost patience along the way, you didn't show it.

+1-year-since-last-update update:

My HIMS AME and I had hoped that after CAMI had a relationship with me for a bit that they'd reduce some of the monitoring they asked for (signed AA log, pee in a cup 14 in 12, 6 mos expiration of 3rd class). HIMS doc wrote CAMI to which they have not responded. Doc says that they're not likely to change any of the monitoring requirements until the SI authorization has expired (i.e., for another 5 years) so as of Dec, I'm jumping to Basic Med.

HEARSAY FOLLOWS:

HIMS doc also:
  • mentioned that one of the congress critters will be proposing updates to basic med in a new FAA reauth bill to include a MGTOW of 6,500 (an increase of 500lbs from current) and to allow for 6 passengers rather than only six seats total.
  • mentioned that he knows people on basic med that fly into Canada all of the time without issue. Not sure if I'm into that, but hey; doc put it out there.
  • "has heard" that CAMI is denying more 3rd class substance abuse and dependence medicals because people who are getting them are jumping straight to basic med.

Last edited:
HEARSAY FOLLOWS:

HIMS doc also:
  • mentioned that he knows people on basic med that fly into Canada all of the time without issue. Not sure if I'm into that, but hey; doc put it out there.

Good luck with your insurance company, and with the Canadian version of the NTSB, if you have an accident north of the border.

+1-year-since-last-update update:

My HIMS AME and I had hoped that after CAMI had a relationship with me for a bit that they'd reduce some of the monitoring they asked for (signed AA log, pee in a cup 14 in 12, 6 mos expiration of 3rd class). HIMS doc wrote CAMI to which they have not responded. Doc says that they're not likely to change any of the monitoring requirements until the SI authorization has expired (i.e., for another 5 years) so as of Dec, I'm jumping to Basic Med.

HEARSAY FOLLOWS:

HIMS doc also:
  • mentioned that one of the congress critters will be proposing updates to basic med in a new FAA reauth bill to include a MGTOW of 6,500 (an increase of 500lbs from current) and to allow for 6 passengers rather than only six seats total.
  • "has heard" that CAMI is denying more 3rd class substance abuse and dependence medicals because people who are getting them are jumping straight to basic med.

It sure would be nice if that congress critter would eliminate the reqt for a 3rd class prior to Basic Med.

the 6 passenger and additional GW is interesting. I'm sure a few planes can get STCd for reduced gross weight and it would solve a problem for me. I have a 3rd, but the sleep apnea SI is kind of a hassle, even though I'm 100% compliant, it's a lot of running around every year to collect the "evidence"

This thread was a great read. I, too, am playing the HIMS game due to two DUI's in my 20's (first one in 2003, BAC 0.11, and second one in 2008, BAC 0.13). My timeline has been a bit longer than yours -

Did 3rd class physical in March of 2020. Medical was deferred. Sent in current copy of driving record along with personal statement describing the offenses, my drinking habits at the time of the offenses, and my current drinking habits.

FAA requested police narrative/report and all court records. COVID delayed the ability to acquire these documents due to the courts being closed Retrieved what I could as soon as I could.

January 2021 - received letter from FAA requiring a substance abuse psych evaluation from a HIMS psychiatrist

Immediately engaged with HIMS psychiatrist, who required me to start UA testing immediately, 10-panel w/EtG, 14-tests in 12 months. Appointment can be made after completing 4 months of testing. First test was in February 2021.

May 2021 - book psych evaluation appointment for July 19th 2021.

July 19th, 2021 - Psych evaluation conducted. Report sent by HIMS psychiatrist to the FAA.

November 29th, 2021 - Letter received from FAA. "For further consideration, engage with HIMS AME. Permanent abstinence from alcohol and all other mind/mood altering substances is the expectation throughout the duration of your medical certification eligibility. Peer support group minimum twice weekly, quarterly follow ups with HIMS AME."

Booked an orientation appointment with HIMS AME for December 24th, 2021.

Appointment conducted. Attended first AA meeting the same night.

New MedXpress and physical done August 18th, 2022, as the one done previously in March 2020 had expired due to my age (over 40).

AA attendance has been ongoing from December 24th, 2021. UA testing has been ongoing from February 2021. I've now attended 3 AME follow up appointments on top of my physical with my AME on August 18th.

As of September 26th, 2022, my medical application has been "in review". It states that "We strive to complete the review and provide response within 60 business days." December 23rd will be business day 60. Hoping to know something by then. Not sure if calling AMCD prior to then will do any good or not.

calling does no good...though this is your HIMS AME decision. 120 +/- days is not uncommon.

Brief recap followed by update:

* I've been clean, sober, and in recovery since 2001-03-10
* since September 2020 (when I was denied a 3rd class but given HIMS encouragement) I had started doing random drug/alcohol screens and have been having an AA attendance log signed at meetings (which is no biggie since I was already going)
* I got my 3rd class medical in July 2021 with an SI that required me to continue "14 random drug/alcohol screens in 12 months, complete abstinence and mandatory, proven attendance at AA meetings at least twice/week, meeting with my HIMS AME once every three months (every other meeting can be virtual)." After all of that, my HIMS AME can give me unrestricted 3rd class medicals for 6 month durations.

HIMS AME said this is silly. I agree, but hey, hoops. Whaddya gonna do? He had written letters to the FAA CAMI about releasing me from monitoring and receiving an unrestricted 3rd class and never heard back. He encouraged me to go Basic Med because they'd likely never release me from monitoring.

I jumped to basic med at the end of 2022. No reason not to at that point. I was holding out hope for an unrestricted, un-monitored 3rd class, mostly so I could fly into Canada, but it didn't seem like the FAA is playing ball with my HIMS AME.

I got notice of a piece of certified mail coming from FAA CAMI the other day. Yikes. That's never good, is it? Thankfully, the first class counterpart arrived before the certified mail did.

Enclosed was a new authorization for SI that dropped the monitoring protocols (no more random drug screens), the proof AA attendance (but maintained abstinence-based recovery), and from having to meet with my HIMS AME every quarter. New SI still limts me to 6-month 3rd class medicals but without all of pee tests and signed AA logs.

The medical isn't valid until I sign it. No thanks. I think I'll stay Basic Med.

Chatted with a pilot friend from HS who's been flying with a PPL for at least a decade now. No monitoring issues, no major health issues ever, but even he recently jumped to basic. "Say the wrong thing, have the wrong numbers during the exam, and your certificate gets yanked. No thanks. Double birds to the FAA!"

Just be aware - certain insurance companies require you to have a 3rd class or higher for them to insure. Not all insurance companies for basic planes but I’d you get to high performance/complex - several do. And almost all for any pressurized planes

Just be aware - certain insurance companies require you to have a 3rd class or higher for them to insure. Not all insurance companies for basic planes but I’d you get to high performance/complex - several do. And almost all for any pressurized planes

FWIW, I've had no trouble getting insurance on my 182 while on Basic Med.

FWIW, I've had no trouble getting insurance on my 182 while on Basic Med.
182 isn’t complex and is just barely high performance . Try a 210 and see how far you get. A p210 or Malibu generally it’s a prerequisite. Some have let it slide in subsequent years - but it’s printed in there usually

182 isn’t complex and is just barely high performance . Try a 210 and see how far you get. A p210 or Malibu generally it’s a prerequisite. Some have let it slide in subsequent years - but it’s printed in there usually

As complex as some? No. But 61.1 defines complex as

...retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller

Of which a 182 does not - unless you are talking about the 182RG.

Of which a 182 does not - unless you are talking about the 182RG.

I'm so confused then; are constant speed props not variable pitch? If this is true, this has been a misunderstanding taught to me by several different CFIs!

Edit: Ah. I see my misunderstanding. The "and" in 61.1 that requires all three to be present for "complex." Der. My bad.

Unless something has changed, I've only seen the 3rd class requirement for HP/complex for pilots over a certain age threshold. Happened to a friend when he reached 80, then also a 3rd class every year instead of two for his Comanche.

Hmm, I had NO issues getting insurance for my Mooney 252/Encore on Basic Med. And it is complex and high performance (220 HP). And I started with ZERO time in type.

I am not required to have a 3rd class for my 182 which is HP but not complex. I am required to have and maintain a 3rd class medical for my P210. For my current insurance and any of the other 2 that will insure 210's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back