"Stuck mic on 122.80" PSA

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
All I could hear is child jabber.

Newer com radios lock-out the keyed mic after transmitting for a timed period, older ones do not.

Why, when there is a stuck mic, do people insist on trying to tell the person that they have a stuck mic?

IDK, there was someone on 121.50 trying that. Typically when one radio is keyed it locks all of them aboard from receiving anything useful.

True story: I was taxiing out at a class D somewhere in the Carolina's but don't remember where. Its a slow afternoon and I'm the only one of the field moving. As I'm doing my runup, the mic keys and I can hear the tower controller talking to someone else in the tower cab. Get my runup done, mic is still transmitting their tower conversation. What he made at his BBQ the week before, how he cooked it, who came to the BBQ, what games they played.... I got the whole story waiting for him. Didn't want to take off without clearance. Couldn't tell him his was sitting on the mic because he was sitting on the mic.

I try tower, I try ground I try clearance, he's transmitting on all of them. Luckily I had an old ATC guide book in my flight bag that had the phone number for every ATC facility. Called the tower on my cell, got someone who was downstairs. I told them to go upstairs that I'm ready for takeoff but can't ask them for clearance because the controller's sitting on the mic button telling someone else in the tower all about his last BBQ.

I hang up the phone. A few seconds later on the radio I hear a phone ring in the tower cab. Controller picks it up and says 'tower'. Then he says 'I don't think so why? Wait a minute... Oh gat dammi.....' then the mic clicked off. I was cleared for takeoff a few seconds later. ;)

It can be fun ,if your not in a hurry. You get some great unedited conversations.

I hang up the phone. A few seconds later on the radio I hear a phone ring in the tower cab. Controller picks it up and says 'tower'. Then he says 'I don't think so why? Wait a minute... Oh gat dammi.....' then the mic clicked off. I was cleared for takeoff a few seconds later. ;)

You should have told him you have a number for him to copy. Advise when ready.... o_O

It can be fun ,if your not in a hurry. You get some great unedited conversations.

Flying late night air ambulance I would scan the frequencies on #2 radio. Sometimes I would come across some interesting conversations.

Like one night 2 planes, possibly regionals, were being repositioned for the morning schedule. One pilot was very, very, lets say opinionated, and very vocal about what he did not like in the company. He was not holding anything back and he was naming names. After about 15 minutes he quit, and following about a minute of silence I clicked on...."You do know that this is a public frequency, right?''

Dead silence, I mean not another word was said on that frequency.....

Why, when there is a stuck mic, do people insist on trying to tell the person that they have a stuck mic?
It’s like when we’re on the air-to-air frequency 122.75 and someone comes on and says, “John, you up on 22.75?” Why say the frequency? If they are, they already know what frequency you’re on and if they’re not, they can’t hear you. Makes me laugh every time, but I’m easily amused.

On ground control: <heavy breathing>
On ground control: <more heavy breathing>
On ground control: "...Yeah, I don't know, I mean it keeps blinking TX, I don't understand why it's doing that."
Ground controller: "That's because you're transmitting, sir."

This reminds me of a bunch of us airline types heading from the west coast to Hawaii on oceanic "fingers" freq one night.

"Who's bored?"
"Me, I am, we are, not us happy to be here yah"
"How long's yer overnight?"
"too short, too long, 23:46, 48 hours, 6 days yah"
"Who's up?"
"Delta of course this is our frequency just like guard, Alaska, Murican, Murican, Alaska, Alaska... Alooooooha! Hawaiian up"
"Hows that contract treating you?"
"squeeeeeellll sssskkkkkrrrrrr, ccchcchchcchchc...that POS I voted no..." unintelligible for about 5 minutes as everyone ******* about their 1st world problems.
"Where ya staying?"
"wherever the van takes us, ala moana, ala moana, ala moana, I dunno some girl's offn Kuhio..."
"Last on gets first round!"

Few minutes later, the xmit that takes the cake:
Hawaiian, in perfect pidgin, "We goin' home bruddahs! Da wif makin some ono grinds tonight yah. Can't wait to see my keiki! An dat contract is killah, fo sho!"

After a dramatic pause:
"You guys hiring?"

I’m always hoping a mic doesn’t stick as a group of us flies to burger on A2A and hear one of my buddies say to his passenger “you see that rotten landing ray did the other day...”

One day in ABQ...

Click.......click......clickclickclick....... ''Hmmmm........clickclick....... Hmmmmmm........ WTF.....Hmmmm.......WTF is wrong with this radio.?? ......Hmmmm........clickclickclickclick......... This F***** thing is F***ed............''Click

Ground control: ''Maintenance, your radio is working fine and everyone heard you.''

Different voice: Ground, maintenance 5, we would like to cross runway 3, and thanks for the radio check...''

Doesn't many new era radios have a transmit light?

One day in ABQ...

Click.......click......clickclickclick....... ''Hmmmm........clickclick....... Hmmmmmm........ WTF.....Hmmmm.......WTF is wrong with this radio.?? ......Hmmmm........clickclickclickclick......... This F***** thing is F***ed............''Click

Ground control: ''Maintenance, your radio is working fine and everyone heard you.''

Different voice: Ground, maintenance 5, we would like to cross runway 3, and thanks for the radio check...''

Sounds more like something heard on CTAF here....

Ah, but that would require the operator to actually KNOW something about the device, and actually LOOK at the thing. A lot of people seem to treat radios as some sort of impenetrable mystery.

Solution:

!ABC 12/345 KABC CTAF TMPO 122.9 DUE STUCK MIC 122.8 1904231200-PERM

If there is a newer com radio hooked to a newer audio panel, there are TWO lights. My audio panel light turns red when a mic is keyed and the a com radios have the Tx light.

A memorable one was when an instructor had a stuck mic for about 10 minutes... all you could hear was him getting increasingly frustrated.. "Ease back on the stick... more power, more power, right rudder, right rudder" and on and on it went LOL

I went through it while trying to do pattern work and after a few rounds I gave it up until they got their mic out of their..... well you know where. It was too nerve wracking to worry about traffic without radio calls. Was very frustrating.

I'll always remember one stuck mic I overheard. It went something like this,

"Wow this is cool, I didn't know we could fly so low. You can see everyone in their backyards. Hey did you see her?!?! Turn around!"

I went through it while trying to do pattern work and after a few rounds I gave it up until they got their mic out of their..... well you know where. It was too nerve wracking to worry about traffic without radio calls. Was very frustrating.

Those must have been some interesting sounding transmissions. Similar to Van Halen's "brown sound" ??

Back