STRUGGLING #2

Dmitry Buzolin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dimon
Hi to all! I am a student pilot with ~80 hours so far. I started May last year, got my TSA clearance and started taking flight lessons in one of the local school here in Connecticut (won't mention the name for now). Everything was great at the start with my first instructor. We went through all the basic maneuvers, engine outs and practiced on towered airports, couple of ground lessons. I soloed 4 times in the training area and in the pattern after getting my endorsement from my CFI.

Then instructor has left for another school last November along with majority of other instructors and I was transferred to another CFI. With the new instructor I flew couple of night flights and one 100nm cross country. Then, for some reason, the instructor has became quiet, and I started stressing to him i need and want to fly at least twice a week to keep the stick and rudder skills. I got polite "yes" back but no action has followed, no calls from him on the scheduling the flights. I then called the owner around last Feb and complained. I got one more instructor who was really fresh and has no knowledge of basic things like emergency frequency. With this instructor I felt I am un-learning all the good things I acquired from my first instructor: the new guy didn't follow proper exchange controls procedure, often panicked when things go bit not standard on the pattern, and I felt that rather than training me the instructor was working on his own hours. I has requested one more change.

The new CFI is a good guy, I feel an eye to eye with him, but he also has not able to schedule me to the frequency I wanted to fly: 2 times/week, although I mentioned this multiple times. With this CFI I flew two 150nm cross country an got an endorsement from him. In my prep to written he has asked me to do 3 online tests. I did once and got 92% score. I was self studying my Jepessen course this year all along and did it from start to finish along with all the exercises in it. I am downed, disappointed but still hasn't lost my motivation to become a pilot. I dreamed about this since I was 7 yo. No matter how hard I tried I have not reached my goal to get PPL in one year, as my TSA clearance now has expired and I need to request another one. I feel the school is cleverly exploiting my wallet taking advantage of my ability to pay for the flight lessons and I don't like it. Maybe I am wrong and there are other reasons why I wasn't put into the schedule I preferred, things like CFI or plane availability. But the fact that I had probably 10 hours of flying time in last 3 months, tells me there is more than this going on. I feel erosion of my skills, and there is seem to be no good way out of this. Or maybe there is?

Now I have two choices: continue with this school or raise my head and look around. I have started looking for another flying school with the honest owners and CFIs, which can credit my hours/skills acquired so far and helps me finish my training. Would you recommend one? The school doesn't have to be in CT. I am happy to come in and finish my training at their location. The only preference is I'd like to continue in the school which has Warrior 2/3 in the fleet and hopefully not end up again in the situation I am right now. Appreciate any advice. Thanks for looking and clear skies to all!

Dimon

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the CT area, but I'd definitely be looking for a change in school or an independent CFI. I felt like progress stalled out with my first instructor getting to solo. The local FBO recommended another instructor, more of an independent CFI. He was clear on the requirements, prepared, and got the remaining flight hours completed efficiently. The FBOs tend to know the community and should be able to link you up with someone who can finish your training.

Move on. Look for a school, or if possible a club where the CFI staff aren't time builders looking to move on ASAP...

Are you on Facebook? There probably is a local pilot's group that could offer help finding a school or instructor.

Just asking to confirm- have you talked face to face with the owner or chief instructor? Would it be worth also putting your concern in writing?

It seems you have so much invested, it would be a shame to start over with a new school and instructor.

If you have to, ask for the equivalent of a final “stage check”, and/or request (demand) your final 3 hours to meet 61.109(a)(4), then get signed off for your check-ride.

This all assumes you are ready and have no chronic piloting issues. I mean no offense. Just making sure it’s a school/CFI issue and not you.

Going a completely different route - Dmitry is a Slavic name. Are you Russian (or does he think you are) and could this be fallout from Ukraine?

How can you have a CFI who "doesn't know emergency frequencies"? And most of the instructors left? Sounds extremely fishy.

Finishing in 1 year is not always possible though. I only can go once a week on weekends so sometimes it's no time a week if weather's not cooperating.

Have you considered (if it's within your means) getting your own aircraft? These guys don't see a lot of the money you are paying to the school. If you offer people the same rate the school's charging you as a freelancer, you most of the time get priority.

I highly recommend an FBO/141 school that uses an online scheduling program like Schedulemaster. With this scheme, the instructors make their availability known and the student controls the scheduling. That way, if an instructor is sand-bagging you, its apparent to all. Same goes with aircraft availability. hours to inspections and current hobbs/tach times should be public knowledge. Nothing ****es me off more than showing up and being told, "sorry, that aircraft was flown into a 100hr last night".

I'm not familiar with the CT area, but I'd definitely be looking for a change in school or an independent CFI. .../QUOTE]

Thanks for the point, I'll try to research in this direction. Need to confirm if training with an independent CFI is possible in my case.

Last edited:
Just asking to confirm- have you talked face to face with the owner or chief instructor? Would it be worth also putting your concern in writing?
It seems you have so much invested, it would be a shame to start over with a new school and instructor.
If you have to, ask for the equivalent of a final “stage check”, and/or request (demand) your final 3 hours to meet 61.109(a)(4), then get signed off for your check-ride.
This all assumes you are ready and have no chronic piloting issues. I mean no offense. Just making sure it’s a school/CFI issue and not you.

Discussed this matter tangentially with the office manager and got an excuse from her about their situation with the flight instructors back at the beginning of the year. She acknowledged and I think our conversation lead to onboarding me with last two of my CFIs. Thanks for the "final check" idea, will explore this more. And no offense at all, from day 1 all my CFI were told to keep an eye on my gaps and tell me about them. There aren't many TBH, there are some minor things like using a wrong call sign or messing up North for South on the radio with approach control or tower.

I'm not familiar with the CT area, but I'd definitely be looking for a change in school or an independent CFI. I felt like progress stalled out with my first instructor getting to solo. The local FBO recommended another instructor, more of an independent CFI. He was clear on the requirements, prepared, and got the remaining flight hours completed efficiently. The FBOs tend to know the community and should be able to link you up with someone who can finish your training.

Thanks, will try this as well. The issue with this approach is new TSA clearance, because it has to be issued for a school which will provide the training. I don't think you can request an individual CFI as part of the TSA application, but will dig there more.

Going a completely different route - Dmitry is a Slavic name. Are you Russian (or does he think you are) and could this be fallout from Ukraine?
Thanks, I never thought of this, but yes originally from Russia some 23 years ago. It is hard to prove or disprove this, though.

How can you have a CFI who "doesn't know emergency frequencies"? And most of the instructors left? Sounds extremely fishy.
Finishing in 1 year is not always possible though. I only can go once a week on weekends so sometimes it's no time a week if weather's not cooperating.
Have you considered (if it's within your means) getting your own aircraft? These guys don't see a lot of the money you are paying to the school. If you offer people the same rate the school's charging you as a freelancer, you most of the time get priority.

I never though you can't until I heard this myself. I had even more interesting experience with this CFI: when we were on a crosswind leg he saw the aircraft some 2500' above the pattern, panicked, grabbed the controls and started climbing to 2000' on the downwind leg. Totally wrong response and unprofessional. Thanks for the idea, yes, I am thinking about my own aircraft, but thought to go there after my PPL for complex and high performance endorsements and possibly IFR training.

Because I don't maintain the school rentals or flight lessons schedule, they do.

I don't understand. Normally if a customer wants an appointment, the customer contacts the business and schedules it.

Anyway, that's probably beside the point. Apparently you are unhappy with the quality of instruction more so than the scheduling issue. Since you seemed to be happy with your original instructor, why don't you follow them to their new school?

I don't understand. Normally if a customer wants an appointment, the customer contacts the business and schedules it.
Anyway, that's probably beside the point. Apparently you are unhappy with the quality of instruction more so than the scheduling issue. Since you seemed to be happy with your original instructor, why don't you follow them to their new school?

Basically I gave the CFI complete freedom to book my training: 7-11am on workdays, any time on weekends. If this helps.

Following the CFI would require a new TSA application for the new school, and back then I was not expecting to see delays in the training process.

Last edited:
I’d find a new school with ample planes and CFIs. I live in Nevada so have no idea of schools in CT. How far are you willing to relocate? I assume you live in the US now?

I’d find a new school with ample planes and CFIs. I live in Nevada so have no idea of schools in CT. How far are you willing to relocate? I assume you live in the US now?
I live in US for last 23 years. It's not a question to relocate, rather to find a great school or instructor. As I said I can make an arrangement for training in another place.

Following the CFI would require a new TSA application for the new school, and back then I was not expecting to see delays in the training process.

Seems like it might be worth it. Didn't you just say your TSA clearance expired anyway? So you need a new one no matter what?

Thanks, I never thought of this, but yes originally from Russia some 23 years ago. It is hard to prove or disprove this, though.

the timing seems to fit. Regardless, I agree new CFIs or a new school is called for.

From what you have told us, that school seems seriously messed up. Perhaps they don't pay their instructors enough and that is why they are leaving. You should be scheduling your flight training, not them. It sounds like they are sandbagging you due to staffing issues.

If it were me, I would find an independent instructor perhaps one who trains in his / her own plane and complete your training.

Thanks all for the replies. I am currently pursuing two options: an independent CFI and another flying school/club. Will keep posting. Clear skies.

Thanks all for the replies. I am currently pursuing two options: an independent CFI and another flying school/club. Will keep posting. Clear skies.

Thanks for the update. Obviously keep your hiatus as brief as possible so you minimize what you have to redo in terms of training. Good luck in your search.

You may need a new school also become more pro active in the scheduling process. You can’t assume that the instructor has you on his mind constantly.

Ive worked 4 instructor jobs in the past 2 years, literally all that matters is finding the right instructor and having an airplane that works. You can be at the best flight school in the country and have a crappy instructor and become a mediocre pilot, or go to the trashiest place with a great instructor and become an excellent pilot. Find a good instructor if you can't maybe find a flight school where you can pay the xtra $x/hr to fly with the chief pilot, I always take the chief pilot, its like $230 hr vs $270 hr and you learn twice as much, once you do it once you'll never go back. Don't limit yourself to one place

Just a question, you have 80 hours in the last year and you don't have your private yet? Perhaps this might be the reason for the instructor's behavior? Just asking.

“My schedule is open for you to book” is a very passive approach. Not likely to work well as you are finding out. It’s your training, not his, you need to book. This is a mild form of the hazardous attitude of resignation, but not a good trait for a pilot and one you should learn to counter. This attitude can kill you when you are PIC. Waiting until a drastic action has to happen (changing schools) is not a good way to deal with this hazardous attitude. Better to fix the problem by taking the appropriate action earlier. Tell him exactly when you want to fly.

“My schedule is open for you to book” is a very passive approach. Not likely to work well as you are finding out. It’s your training, not his, you need to book. This is a mild form of the hazardous attitude of resignation, but not a good trait for a pilot and one you should learn to counter. This attitude can kill you when you are PIC. Waiting until a drastic action has to happen (changing schools) is not a good way to deal with this hazardous attitude. Better to fix the problem by taking the appropriate action earlier. Tell him exactly when you want to fly.

I disagree with your assessment about passive approach. It can't be more active when someone says: "I want to fly every day", don't you think?
"hazardous attitude of resignation". Where exactly do you see a resignation here and what is so drastic there about changing the school, which saw most of their CFIs leave and the new ones not being able to accommodate the most flexible schedule given to them wrt to my training hours? Why my first CFI was able to fly me in 2-3 times a week and others weren't on the same conditions? Hmm... By the way, if this would be a resignation attitude, why none of the four instructors (and neither other pilots on this forum except you) haven't mention it to me? So either you or them are not qualified to exercise the PIC/CFI privileges. Something tells me it is you.

Last edited:
Just a question, you have 80 hours in the last year and you don't have your private yet? Perhaps this might be the reason for the instructor's behavior? Just asking.

Yes, no private yet after 80 hours. But can you expand your thought about this being a reason for the instructor's behavior? I can't connect the dots here.

I disagree with your assessment about passive approach. It can't be more active when someone says: "I want to fly every day", don't you think?
"hazardous attitude of resignation". Where exactly do you see a resignation here and what is so drastic there about changing the school, which saw most of their CFIs leave and the new ones not being able to accommodate the most flexible schedule given to them wrt to my training hours? Why my first CFI was able to fly me in 2-3 times a week and others weren't on the same conditions? Hmm... By the way, if this would be a resignation attitude, why none of the four instructors (and neither other pilots on this forum except you) haven't mention it to me? So either you or them are not qualified to exercise the PIC/CFI privileges. Something tells me it is you.

I agree w @Salty.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago with an instructor who didn’t actively respond or prioritize me and my flying goals, it slowed me down so much that I almost felt like quitting flying. It was a mix of scheduling issues, his responsiveness and my persistence (I hated having to nag all the time). What ultimately straightened me out was calling him and telling him exactly what I expected: “Im not happy with the progress we’re making. I want to be doing a check ride this time next month. Money is no object. Let’s fly at least 3x a week. Can you do that? Can we put that on the schedule NOW?”. It was a tough chat but it helped us see eye to eye on what my expectations were. Plus… squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Changing schools wouldn’t be high on my list if I could avoid it. You’ll have to reprove yourself and demonstrate your skill with a new instructor\program and that will take time. When I thought about doing this I talked to 2 other local flight schools and their chief pilots both told me “you’re so far along you’re better off just finishing up there if you can”. And that was with 40h. I would only leave the school if I’d already had the uncomfortable chat with the chief pilot/owner of the flight school and essentially told them that I’m an unhappy student (and customer), and if they couldn’t commit to making availability for me. If they know what I want and they won’t deliver, move on.

Just my $0.02.

Sure it’s me. I got my first rating in half the time you’ve already spent by calling my instructor and saying something like, “are you available on Saturday at 8am”, and if not suggesting another time until I had a few lessons scheduled, but your way is clearly working better. /sarcasm

it’s a resignation attitude because you’re expecting someone else to fix a problem that’s yours to fix. Your attitude is that there’s nothing more you can do and it’s someone’s else’s fault. As a pilot you need to always consider that there’s another way.

Here’s an analogy, albeit a little simplistic. You’re steadily losing altitude very slowly, so you keep pushing in the throttle. (Telling your instructor you want to fly every day) The throttle hits the stop, so you’ve done everything you can. Pushing it in more isn’t working. You can jump out of the aircraft (switch schools), or you can trim up a little to hold altitude (schedule a specific time for each flight).

perhaps a better analogy would be not looking out for traffic or terrain because you’re on flight following. It’s ATCs job to keep you safe, right? No, it’s YOUR job, there are just there to assist you in doing your job. Same with your instructors.

Yes, no private yet after 80 hours. But can you expand your thought about this being a reason for the instructor's behavior? I can't connect the dots here.
I think he's suggesting the instructor sees you as someone who is not going to get there so has turned attention elsewhere. I think that's an unfairly harsh assessment based on nothing more than the number of hours. There are plenty of reason for slow progress, not all of which have to do with the student's ability.

on @Salty's comment, the favorite line of a local CFI might be apt. "It's not your fault, but it is your problem."

Hi All, QU on my situation: Fast forward 3+ months and I am a newly minted pilot with 120 hours so far! Had my checkride this past Tuesday and passed it. To all of you - THANK YOU! I made a right decision to share my story, asking for an opinion here what to do next. Switching schools was a way to go. I got another approval from TSA in a couple of weeks and was ready to fly with the new instructor at Tree Wings @ KBDR. What a change I must say! The airplanes are maintained much better, the instructor was always available and was scheduling me as I asked him to do: minimum 2 times a week. I also got access to school scheduling system and could do it myself (something I have not had at the other school). I don't even mention coffee and drinks and free candies for my younger kids ( they really enjoy this aspect of my flying :) ). Beautiful airplanes on the field, new people: pilots, mechanics, servicemen... Now, I feel I need more. I want to work on HP and complex endorsements and possibly IFR rating.

And few closing words and advise for those who might find themselves in a similar situation. If you see these in your school:

- You are given an airplane with a broken radio on your solo flight
- Next day you hear your instructor discusses this with the owner and you learn the radio was purchased off eBay and was not properly installed/verified
- You learn from another instructor that all other CFIs have left the school or plan to do so
- Your other instructor, while in the pattern ****es off the airplane overflying a field at 2500' and climbs 2000' on the downwind leg
- Your instructor doesn't use positive exchange control procedure and grabs controls
- Your instructor tells you after a month of being silent he switched phones and lost your number (which is of course available in the school records, right?)
- Praise of the instructor that you do everything great but overall lack of progress towards your goal

Hit the stop button asap and make change.

Clear skies
Dmitry.

@Salty "it’s a resignation attitude because you’re expecting someone else to fix a problem that’s yours to fix." If you define a problem for me without understanding the root cause of it or interpreting in some wired ways 5 dangerous attitudes I would say get back and study them again. Let's close this unworthy conversation. Read my comments above to make it more clear for yourself.

Back