Strobe power supply function

Not only was I recently playing with strobes but was startled when shorting across the anode/cathode terminal when I was getting ready to move it.

Reworked the wiring since this guy has been noisy for a while.

All this debating. The fix is so easy!

LEDs :p

Believe me, I've been looking. After I recently had to spend $50 for a stupid nav light bulb, I looked into LEDs. I can get LED navs with regular strobes for "only" $329 per side - But that's only the red and green navs, the white "tail" nav doesn't have a replacement that I know of because I don't actually have a tail nav, I have white ones on the aft corners of the wingtips.

If I were to replace both navs and strobes with LED, it'd be $1,430 for the parts... And it's just not worth that to me. Besides, after I blind people with my dual 50W HID landing lights, they won't even be able to see whether or not I have LED navs. :D

I want to replace everything with LEDs. However, I am going to see what kind of deal I can get at Oshkosh. That stuff is pricey and I've spent enough already:(

That's exactly what I thought when I read "Ohm's derivative law"

Ohm's Law states that resistance is the ratio of voltage to current in a circuit, or in algebraic form, R = E / I . Algebraic derivatives are trivial (E = I * R, I = E / R) but they are derivatives of the fundamental law. That was the only question I missed on a freshman circuits class exam and I never forgot it. Oh, and by the way, it isn't a law, it is a definition. Ohm simply defined the ratio to be this funny thing called "resistance".

We don't even WANT to go into why P = E * I is called part of Ohm's law because James Watt was the one that established it. Properly, it should be called Watt's corollary to Ohm's Law.

Jim

If I were to replace both navs and strobes with LED, it'd be $1,430 for the parts... And it's just not worth that to me. Besides, after I blind people with my dual 50W HID landing lights, they won't even be able to see whether or not I have LED navs. :D

You need to get Kitplanes issues for January, April, May, June, and July (attached as zip) so that you can do the whole thing for $250 or so.

Oops. The June is the only one that made it. The others are WAY over the limit, even in zip format. Anybody got any ideas how to post them?

Jim

Attachments

• KP16 #6.ZIP
    64.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thank you, Jim. I was taught Ohm's Law too, and PIE, EIR triangles, first in 1977 in USAF Avionics course at Chanute, AFB and again in A&P school in 1981 or 2. Yes, there are many derivatives from Ohm's basic law.

Yes, there are many derivatives from Ohm's basic law.

So far as I am aware, there are TWO derivatives from Ohm's Law and I have stated both of them. Absent a misinterpretation of Watt's corollary, what do YOU think are some other derivatives?

JIm

Initially you implied there was a single derivative.

I said that the formula used was a derivative of Ohm's Law (there are two, I can single one out if I wish).

I asked for your "many" derivatives and got the usual busslhit answer trying to smoke cloud the issue. PLEASE just go away.

Jim

Sorry Jim, I'm with Glenn on this one. Your wording sucked.

I've never heard anyone call it "Ohm's derivative law" (singular) and that's exactly what you typed.

You created unnecessary obfuscation of your point, by adding the word, not Glenn.

We all know what a derivative is. Don't act like you're special in this regard.

Derivatives aren't even high school algebra, they're taught around 8th grade unless the schools have gotten even dumber since I was stuck in one. They probably have.

I said that the formula used was a derivative of Ohm's Law (there are two, I can single one out if I wish).

I asked for your "many" derivatives and got the usual busslhit answer trying to smoke cloud the issue. PLEASE just go away.

Jim

Jim, In the following post, you, yourself, pointed out three, actually five, derivatives!

Ohm's Law states that resistance is the ratio of voltage to current in a circuit, or in algebraic form, R = E / I . Algebraic derivatives are trivial (E = I * R, I = E / R) but they are derivatives of the fundamental law. That was the only question I missed on a freshman circuits class exam and I never forgot it. Oh, and by the way, it isn't a law, it is a definition. Ohm simply defined the ratio to be this funny thing called "resistance".
We don't even WANT to go into why P = E * I is called part of Ohm's law because James Watt was the one that established it. Properly, it should be called Watt's corollary to Ohm's Law.
Jim

1. E = I * R
2. I = E / R
3. P = E * I
4. E = P / I
5. I = P / E

Heck, google "ohm's law", and see the pie chart that shows up. How many derivatives do you find there? That would be; 11.

Last edited:
I've been lit up by 115v a couple times... not fun.
Meh...that's like a peck on the cheek.

Try getting lit up by 480 sometime. That'll get your attention. Mislabeled breakers in a panel can get interesting. Enlightening actually. Illuminating even. :)

No thank you, 120/400hz was unpleasant enough. I know a fellow the has permanent internal damage from 220, but lucky to be alive. Jim, we could continue to argue about "many". It's an undefined large number. Maybe I should have used "several". That's an undefined number greater than 2 but less than the undefined "many". I'll just give you that.

**Looks on the ground in the snow**.......the lengths are about even but one of you needs to drink more water.

You need to get Kitplanes issues for January, April, May, June, and July (attached as zip) so that you can do the whole thing for $250 or so.

Jim,

Wouldn't that be a bit difficult to get (legally) installed on a certified airplane if I just build it myself?

Oops. The June is the only one that made it. The others are WAY over the limit, even in zip format. Anybody got any ideas how to post them?

Dropbox? Or maybe we can convince the mods here to change the allowable sizes. How big are the files?

Jim,

Wouldn't that be a bit difficult to get (legally) installed on a certified airplane if I just build it myself?

Have a good read of FAR 21.303 (b)(2) and then come back and we will talk about it.

Dropbox? Or maybe we can convince the mods here to change the allowable sizes. How big are the files?

On the order of 20-30 Megs. I have to shoot huge picture sizes for the resolution necessary for magazine images.

Last edited:
Meh...that's like a peck on the cheek.

Try getting lit up by 480 sometime. That'll get your attention. Mislabeled breakers in a panel can get interesting. Enlightening actually. Illuminating even. :)

My dad was an electrician and I worked for him for a few years. I remember the first 480V panel we worked on. He said "If you touch 120V it'll shock you. You don't have to touch 480V. It'll come out and hunt for you."

This particular panel was an 1100A 3 phase 480V panel which was pretty well loaded by the time we were done. I still remember the hair on my arms standing up as I climbed up and down the ladder in front of it.

John

Jim, In the following post, you, yourself, pointed out three, actually five, derivatives!

1. E = I * R
2. I = E / R
3. P = E * I
4. E = P / I
5. I = P / E

Heck, google "ohm's law", and see the pie chart that shows up. How many derivatives do you find there? That would be; 11.

I tire rather easily from a ping-pong game like this. I respect my college physics professor, one of the most intelligent men I have ever met in my life, and if he chooses to call Ohm's law one thing, I don't really care what misinterpretations you choose to toss around. Nor do I really care what google has to say about it. I care what respected education professionals have to say and not a one of them (all the way through grad school) ever challenged what I learned back as an undergrad.

I'm done. Go away.

Jim

Keep in mind, you're the one that calls yourself "Weird". It's your choice to play ping pong. You could have manned up and admitted you were wrong with "Ohm's derivative law". You could have admitted you were wrong about "two derivatives" even after you, yourself, pointed out there were more than two. I admitted that "many" was wrong. There's nothing wrong with us challenging eachother.

It's the amperage that kills, not the voltage...something like 10mA through the heart IIRC. A static electricity shock is 20000+ volts by comparison.

Last edited:
It only takes 100mA to stop your heart. Higher voltage has more potential to kill. Your body has a constant resistance value. What you really need to kill yourself is a good ground.

It's the amperage that kills, not the voltage...something like 10ms through the heart IIRC. A static electricity shock is 20000+ volts by comparison.

You are absolutely correct. The only thing that keeps us from being killed by a 12 volt storage battery is that our dry skin is on the order of kilohms; wet down with salt water (like ocean) some day and work on your beach jeep. Even 12 volts gives a little tingle. Or touch a 9 volt battery to your tongue. Interesting experiment, wasn't it?

Galvani (the frog-kick experiment) touched his lemon-juice battery to his tongue and the other end to the corner of his eye and damn near blinded himself.

The static experiment (shuffle across the carpet and touch a switch plate screw) takes the surface charge from the skin and discharges it to ground, drawing a half-inch arc in the process. But it still tingles, doesn't it?

Jim

Keep in mind, you're the one that calls yourself "Weird".

@$$#ole, because of my last name I've been called that since kindergarten, and since my dad died I've taken that name with pride. Can you say the same, or do you know who your dad is? For sure?

Jim

Since I look like my father and was given his name, I have no doubt. Ok, kids teased me about my last name too... sorry.

Last edited:
I tire rather easily from a ping-pong game like this. I respect my college physics professor, one of the most intelligent men I have ever met in my life, and if he chooses to call Ohm's law one thing, I don't really care what misinterpretations you choose to toss around. Nor do I really care what google has to say about it. I care what respected education professionals have to say and not a one of them (all the way through grad school) ever challenged what I learned back as an undergrad.

I'm done. Go away.

Jim
No wonder you want me to go away. Go look at YOUR "Ohm's Law Calculator" on YOUR rst-engr.com website and tell me how many derivatives YOU have there? Ha! http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/jimsdata/jimsdata.htm
Some would call that a "smoking gun".

Last edited:
It's the amperage that kills, not the voltage...something like 10mA through the heart IIRC.
You are absolutely correct.
Jim
And if you have "0" volts, amperage still kills? When you energize a circuit, you apply a voltage, if there's no load, there's no current flow or amperage. Voltage will still be present, and there's potential for current flow, but that is all. You can't have current, or amperage without voltage. If you're working with electricity and want to see if a circuit is live/dangerous, you check for voltage. Voltage kills.

Last edited:
And if you have "0" volts, amperage still kills? When you energize a circuit, you apply a voltage, if there's no load, there's no current flow or amperage. Voltage will still be present, and there's potential for current flow, but that is all. You can't have current, or amperage without voltage. If you're working with electricity and want to see if a circuit is live/dangerous, you check for voltage. Voltage kills.
No, just because you have a voltage, doesn't mean you have current, so no current, no kill. Yes you have to have a voltage potential to have current, but it's the current that kills you, not the voltage potential.
This is like arguing what kills you, the gun or the bullet. Ultimately it's the bullet, it's what does the damage. The current going thru your heart is what kills you.

I know that, I believe I previously posted that it take 100mA to stop your heart. Still, you can't get current without voltage. So, all the "Danger High Voltage" signs are incorrect?

Last edited:
No wonder you want me to go away. Go look at YOUR "Ohm's Law Calculator" on YOUR rst-engr.com website and tell me how many derivatives YOU have there? Ha! http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/jimsdata/jimsdata.htm
Some would call that a "smoking gun".

Some would call that writing for your expected audience. If I were teaching a graduate class in relativistic physics, disregarding the Lorentz contraction when flying the 182 from California to Oshkosh would be a mortal sin -- disregarding that femtopicosecond of time difference due to delta velocity 1. On the other hand, I'd be a damned fool if I taught my student pilots that same calculation for cross country flight planning. Same is true for what I post on my website for general interest. Sure, I could weave Maxwell's relativistic equations (differential or integral, your choice) into the sheets, but for what? You aren't going to cut your antenna to the nanoinch, so why complex up things?

Speaking of teaching students, I'm sort of curious. What FAA certificates (you can call them licenses if you wish) do you hold?

Note 1. Just for giggles, why don't you do the calculation to show us how much the time contraction is flying a 182 at 125 knots from California to Oshkosh -- the difference between the Newtonian time and the relativistic time. To make the calculation simple, take 2000 statute miles as the distance from Sacramento to Oshkosh. It is not necessary to show your work.

Jim

Jim, how about I throw some eddy current, ultrasonic or radiographic questions at you? Pointless, for the current topic.

Laurence Peter would call that a lateral arabesque to the question I asked. But to answer your question, yes, I learned that stuff fairly well at the airline as well as studying for the A&P exam. Go for it.

Jim

Is the strobe fixed yet?

Who cares? This ****ing contest is awesome! :rolleyes:

In reality - No. Got a new 120/240 combo EVSE for my car and spent my electrical-messing-around time building adapter cords for a few different types of 240V outlets for it. But now, I can plug it into the 6-50R in the hangar while I fix the strobe. :D

Back