Stratux - KindleFireHD - EFB

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by Ed DeLaCantera, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Ed DeLaCantera

Ed DeLaCantera Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed DeLaCantera
    Hi everyone - I just joined.

I just built my Rasberry Pi 3/Stratux ADS-B in box (bought the parts through Amazon) and so far it seems to work. I have the 1090ES, UAT, with GPS on long cable. I'm not ready to spend $$$ for an iPad, so I'm using my Kindle Fire HD 8 (with 128GB microSD - 119GB usable) with FltPlan Go.

If you have a similar setup, Stratux w/Kindle, I would like to hear from you; which app you are using and so forth.

Thanks for sharing!

2. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    Not addressing your setup directly, just using fltplan go on a Samsung Tab A. Easier to set up and seems more stable than Avare. Have found one oddity with a single approach procedure not being geo-referenced. No big deal. The frequencies referenced on the airports page can be a little wonky. It's only a problem if you're unfamiliar and can't be bothered to look at the AF/D or chart supplement or whatever it is being called these days.

For the price it is hard to beat fltplan go. I like most of it's features better than Foreflight.

3. Adam Weiss

Adam Weiss Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    AdamW
    I've been using FltPlan Go with Stratux on a Surface Pro for a few months. Now the Surface Pro is going to college with my daughter. Just bought the new Fire HD 8 (on sale for $55 for the next few days), and I was hoping it would work well. I also just bought the AHRS for the Stratux. Everything arrives Friday. How do you like your Fire HD/Stratux/FltPlan Go setup?

4. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    My backup EFB is, like Clark's primary, a Galaxy Tab A. I have multiple EFBs on it but my current go-to is IFlyGPS. Although I generally like open source stuff, for some reason Avare has left me cold, and, while I have used a FltPlan.com for more than a decade for planning, while I have Go! I rarely use it. I think I never got over the continuous crashes early on. I wouldn't care for VFR, but I want more confidence in reliability for IFR.

I recently sold my Stratus, replacing it with a Stratux.

I'm actually a bit surprised to hear about running this stuff on a Fire. I thought it was a bit too Amazon-centric for wider use, so I will be very interested to hear you and others experience.

5. Skyrys62

Skyrys62 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skyrys62
    I played around with Avare, and it is a nice program. However, after messing with a couple others, and watching their videos, it seems quite unpolished, for lack of a better word.
    Haven't delved into FF at all yet, but watched a couple vids (basic). I watched some FlyQ videos, and they are excellently done in the sense of concise, clear, and to the point. The EFB itself looks great and seems easy to use.
    They have a beta online program that you can mess with. Not sure it's ready for prime time, but can give you a general overview.

I believe these offerings are still valid (about to find out).
    Students 1 yr VFR for $19.95
    CFI's 1 yr IFR/VFR for $19.95
    Otherwise, $69 yr VFR and $139 yr IFR
    Includes pretty much everything except maybe Jepp

Surprised also to hear about the Fire running these too.

6. CC268

CC268 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Wow does a Kindle Fire actually run these EFBs smoothly?

7. DFH65

DFH65 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
  8. exncsurfer

exncsurfer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    exncsurfer
    If you have a stratux(or wifi device du jour) the EFB app would get position from that.

The main problem I've had with kindles is the tie in to their app store. You have to use alternative means to load anything outside of their app store. (unless they've changed things recently). FltPlan Go is the only EFB I see in their app store.

9. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Neither FF nor FQ EFBs will work on a Kindle Fire or any other Android device.

10. Adam Weiss

Adam Weiss Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    AdamW
    I'll give a review of FltPlan Go, Fire HD 8, Stratux (w/ AHRS) on Saturday.
    I'm excited to try it out.

FltPlan Go is available for Kindle, but if you want any Android app, it's really easy to add the Play Store:

11. Adam Weiss

Adam Weiss Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    AdamW
    So it looks like everything is working just fine. I installed FltPlan Go! from the Amazon app store, and then loaded up all the sectionals, Victor low, AF/D, etc. for all the US and Caribbean. I did not load Alaska or HI. It all fit on the 16GB model with about 4GB to spare. I do have a micro SD card, but for whatever reason, it loaded into the internal storage instead of the card, and I can't seem to make it go on the card. That's OK. Everything I need fit, so I should be fine. It connected to my Stratux just fine, and I could see planes in the area right away. The only issue I found, and I shot a quick email to FltPlan Go! tech support was that I just installed the AHRS module for my Stratux and wanted to try it out, but the option for Flight Instruments doesn't seem to be available on the Fire version of the app. They will be getting back to me on that. So for ~$100 Stratux parts and $55 Fire HD 8, it's a pretty good deal.

12. avongil

avongil Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    AG
  13. Adam Weiss

Adam Weiss Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    AdamW
    Update: just heard from tech support. Only iOS version of FltPlan Go supports AHRS. Will have to wait for Android.
    So Fire HD works perfectly