Stratux - KindleFireHD - EFB

Hi Folks.
I wanted to share some of my learning me who don't know much about BlueTooth compatibility.

I've been doing some research on using the Kindle Fire HD as an EFB to save some money. I already have 2 handheld GPS's with BlueTooth (GPS Map 64s and Inreach Explorer) so I didn't feel I needed a tablet with a GPS installed. After coming across posts like this I decided to try the Kindle Fire HD 10.

I have tried Garmin Pilot and FltPlan Go.
Here's the issues I've had.
Just because you have a GPS that will pair with Kindle Fire HD doesn't mean it's compatible with the software! I have an Inreach Explorer Satellite communicator/locator. This is great to have for emergencies in the back country and would make a great rescue device for aviation. Since I want to carry it anyways, I might as well use it for my EFB GPS as well....WRONG....It won't work with Garmin or FltPlan. I have an app called Earthmate installed on my Kindle that the GPS works great with so it's not the GPS or the Kindle. It's the APP. Obviously I'm not tech savvy and thought any BlueTooth GPS would work with any APP but that's not true.
I downloaded FltPlan Legacy from the Amazon store and it works fine (except no GPS). I also read in this post how to get FltPlan Go from Google Play because it's probably more up-to-date. Everything downloaded just fine. However, when I try to access the maps page on the Google version it just kicks me back to my Kindle's home screen. It just doesn't work.
I contacted FltPlan customer service and they have told me my GPS's are not compatible with their app. They also told me that there is a known issue between FltPlan Go from the Google store and Kindle. They told me I have to use FltPlan Legacy from the Amazon store. This surprised me since others seem to be using it just fine.

So now I need to spend another $150 to build a Stratux to get my Kindle to work. It will be a great feature to have but I was trying to keep my spending down.

I hope this helps someone.

Jason
As of a couple months ago, you HAVE TO use FltPlan Go from Google Play. They are no longer supporting the Kindle version and it won’t allow you to navigate.

Tech support just sent me this Email a couple days ago in response to my 2 questions. They told me to use FP Legacy. This doesn't make sense if they are not supporting it and it won't work for navigation.
I don't understand how it can work on your kindle HD when they say there's a known issue. Did you do anything special to get yours to work?
I don't want to wast more money on the Kindle if it's not going to work.

On Sunday, July 22, 2018, 8:22:01 AM MDT, FltPlan Tech Support <tech@fltplan.com> wrote:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for writing.

when I go to the maps tab it just kicks me out, back to my fire's home screen.
This is a known issue with Kindle Fire tablets using FltPlan Go.
The Kindle Fire is not compatible with our mapping software.
Please use FP Legacy.

If I install FP legacy from the Amazon app store it seems to work but will not connect to my bluetooth GPS (Delorme Inreach Explorer)
Unfortunately we do not have a Delorme Inreach Explorer device to test this with.
Please ensure you have Internal GPS Source selected under the External tab.
External GPS devices are read through the Internal GPS.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Jackie
Tech@FltPlan.com

I sent FltPlan Go a message regarding my issue with Stratux and Tab A. They immediately responded back that they are aware of the issue and will have an update in the play store shortly. I was impressed with their response.

Fltplan Go also has an issue with dropping regional radar on my Tab 3 and S8. It will be displayed and then before an update comes the radar image goes away. I tested extensively and took a ton of screen shots to show what the issue was. Tech support agreed and said it would be fixed in some future Android version release. So good response and communication but I wish they would get the Android version fixed. I prefer Fltplan Go sectionals which are higher resolution than Avare. Don't know about Apple platforms but I know the problems do not exist on my Windows 10 Thinkpad.

I contacted Fltplan again. I told them a forum member had stated that FP Legacy was no longer supported for kindle (Android). Here is their response. It sounds like it should work if I get Stratux.

Hi Jason,

There is FltPlan Legacy (an older app for iOS) and there is FP Legacy (older app for Android).
We discontinued support for FltPlan Legacy (iOS) due to an iOS compatibility.
FP Legacy still works as intended.

Can you provide a link to this forum?

Hope this explains.

Thank you,
Ally
Technical Support
Tech@FltPlan.com
raw

More than 55% of all N# registered flight plans
are filed by FltPlan’s 160,000-plus users.
FltPlan Go iPad Manual: https://flttrack.fltplan.com/TutorialPDFs/FtPlanGo-iPad-Users-Manual.pdf
FltPlan Go Android Manual: https://flttrack.fltplan.com/TutorialPDFs/FltPlan_Go_Android_Manual.pdf
FltPlan Go Connectivity: https://www.fltplan.com/FltPlanConnectivityOptions.pdf

Back