Stratus Power Charging Port, two 2.5 amp USB ports, TSO approved

Kiddo's Driver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
So Stratus has this charging port thing that they are selling for 1/3AMU. It has two USB ports, each can put out 2.5 amps @ 5ish volts. It works with 14 and 28 volt electrical systems (10-32 Vdc) and is FAA TSO approved. $349...

I am leaning heavily towards this to just get it over with. Little chance of RF interference. Good company name. Expensive, but it should just work.

Anyone know of other options? Anyone have one of these installed?

-Jim

http://www.appareo.com/stratus-power/

From their page:
PLUG IN WITH THE MOST AFFORDABLE TSO-CERTIFIED CHARGING PORT.

Enjoy the convenience of USB power in your aircraft panel — delivered by the durable, high-quality engineering that you expect with the Stratus name.

Stratus Power™ is a simple, TSO-certified charging port that will keep your phone, tablet, ADS-B receiver and other devices charged and ready.

FEATURES:
+ Dual 2.5A USB-A charging ports
+ FAA certified to TSO-C71
+ Cylindrical shape for easy, drill-in panel installation
+ Designed and built in the USA
+ Two-year product warranty

DIMENSIONS: 1.848″ x 1.848″ x 1.391″

Attachments

• Stratus-Power_Info-Sheet_rev1_web1-1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Have ya considered a cigarette plug adapter instead of contributing to Stratus' ridiculous pricing scheme?

Have ya considered a cigarette plug adapter instead of contributing to Stratus' ridiculous pricing scheme?
Yes, but you still have to find a 2.5 amp charger to fit in the cig plug that doesn't cause RF interference, stays plugged in, etc. Also, by lighter plug is right by my right knee and is in the way...

still have to find a 2.5 amp charger to fit in the cig plug that doesn't cause RF interference, stays plugged in, etc.

I have 3 different ones that fit this criteria that were all bought on Amazon. The key is to buy the really expensive $15 ones rather than the $5 plugs.

I think a panel mount USB charger is nice aesthetically but at a price delta of 20x + I'm not interested.

I've got a good amazon bought one that does 2.4 amps and works with my 28 volt system. I just want something cleaner. I'll dig up the model in my purchase history later & link it here.

I've got a good amazon bought one that does 2.4 amps and works with my 28 volt system. I just want something cleaner. I'll dig up the model in my purchase history later & link it here.

Get one with a clock and shove it in the attitude gyro hole.

Hmmm. One review says not enough amps to charge ipads in use
Reviews referenced attached.

I caught the cross post dig, but this is good/new info on an option I didn't know about.
The ports are 2.1 amps on the clock instead of 2.5 amps on the stratus power port, but it is still power.
I like it!

Attachments

• IMG_0115.PNG
    IMG_0115.PNG
    266 KB · Views: 7
My first thought when I saw the Stratus charger was "what, only 2 ports?" That seems to be very limited and poorly thought-out. I can easily see myself using both of those ports. Which means there is no room for expansion. If they're making the unit anyway, why not put 4 ports in there? I'd much rather have unused ports most of the time than run out of ports occasionally.

Because, like many things, once you have the charging ports, you will find things to charge that never needed it before.

I mean, with two ports, I might as well plug in my iPad and phone. Why not have them both completely charged by the end of the flight? But then what about my wife's phone?

I think limiting it to two ports is silly.

Summary: 2x 2.4 amp rectangle set up $29, 2x 2.1 amp round set up $29.
So what does it take to install off the shelf next n-aviation stuff? Minor mod, A&P sign off only?
thats up to the A&P but i have no problem signing one off as a minor mod, log book entry only.

My first thought when I saw the Stratus charger was "what, only 2 ports?" That seems to be very limited and poorly thought-out. I can easily see myself using both of those ports. Which means there is no room for expansion. If they're making the unit anyway, why not put 4 ports in there? I'd much rather have unused ports most of the time than run out of ports occasionally.

Because, like many things, once you have the charging ports, you will find things to charge that never needed it before.

I mean, with two ports, I might as well plug in my iPad and phone. Why not have them both completely charged by the end of the flight? But then what about my wife's phone?

I think limiting it to two ports is silly.
because 2 ports means 5 amps, 4 ports means 10 amps.... more design issues.

Summary: 2x 2.4 amp rectangle set up $29, 2x 2.1 amp round set up $29.

So what does it take to install off the shelf next n-aviation stuff? Minor mod, A&P sign off only?

The install is easy. It's when the USB blows up on your panel and makes you fall out of the sky in a ball of fire that the problem really surfaces.

because 2 ports means 5 amps, 4 ports means 10 amps.... more design issues.

Seems to me it can't be too tough to engineer, EI has a version that is associated with their engine monitor - (up to) 5 USB power ports and a data port. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/eicrgr30p-usb.php

Plus, they don't all have to be 2.5 amps per port. Lots (I'd say most) of the multi-port cigarette-lighter chargers have one or two ports at 2+ amps for tablets and larger devices, and one or more ports with 1 amp for phones and smaller devices. In fact, the one I used on a flight last night was a 4-port charger with 1 2+ amp port and 3 1-amp ports.

Last edited:
OK, gang, here is the design for 5 volts @ 2.5 amps. Total parts cost $2.50 or so, plus another couple of bucks for a pc board. How many do you want?

Attachments

• webench_design_477027_55_773255984.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 45
Seems to me it can't be too tough to engineer, EI has a version that is associated with their engine monitor - (up to) 5 USB power ports and a data port. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/eicrgr30p-usb.php

Plus, they don't all have to be 2.5 amps per port. Lots (I'd say most) of the multi-port cigarette-lighter chargers have one or two ports at 2+ amps for tablets and larger devices, and one or more ports with 1 amp for phones and smaller devices. In fact, the one I used on a flight last night was a 4-port charger with 1 2+ amp port and 3 1-amp ports.

Unless that thing is mounted on the rear bulkhead there is no way I will tolerate 4 devices. The last thing I want is 4 or 5 friggin' cables draped all over the front seating area converging on a single spot on my instrument panel. 2 is plenty.

The GRIFFIN brand USB charger didn't work for me, had ton of radio static on 120.70, 118.05 & 118.50

Jim is the man with the plan!

That's going to be my November Kitplanes column for $20 worth of parts, DIY. Build it into any form factor that fits your airplane.

Jim
How are you implementing the usb power delivery handshake?

Last edited:
How are you implementing the usb power delivery handshake?
Are you talking about that mickey mouse bleeder that the early iPads had that required a resistive divider to sense when a 2 amp load is needed versus the half amp for the iPhones and such?

Jim

Back