Stick it to Daley AND have some fun

The performance of the Braves has made Baseball somewhat depressing. But, I grew up in St. Louis and was very happy to see them go out last season with the trophy.

But, NASCAR is my favorite and always well be.

did the braves even win the pennant last year? My whole family is Braves fans, except for me. I had to listen to their crap for all 13 years or whatever, every stinking year. Of course it helps to have a division where your best competition is the friggin Marlins :rolleyes:

Nah...those are the memories I have as a kid. That was then, this is now. I would've (and did) traded 3 Mickey Mantle cards for 1 Stan Musial card.

My middle school PE teacher was a Yankee Hater as a young boy. Said they would use Mickey Mantle cards as noise makers on their bicycles spokes *cringe*

Nah...those are the memories I have as a kid. That was then, this is now. I would've (and did) traded 3 Mickey Mantle cards for 1 Stan Musial card.

Well I can't argue with being a Musial fan. But the Cardinals part... oh boy. I mean come on, I'm a Cub fan... It's cosmically unavoidable for me to absolutely hate the Cardinals with the burning passion of ten thousand suns. It's just how it is. :D

(And Musial was definitely The Man. But please don't mention Lou Brock unless you really want to twist the knife... ;))

Re: Stick it to Daly AND have some fun

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm a Redsox fan (C. Fisk is in the family tree)...

..snip..

really? the original Pudge is in your family tree? that's PFC...

did the braves even win the pennant last year? My whole family is Braves fans, except for me. I had to listen to their crap for all 13 years or whatever, every stinking year. Of course it helps to have a division where your best competition is the friggin Marlins :rolleyes:
The Braves had thirteen straight years of being division champs until they blew it last year. The first half of most seasons would start out bad and finish good. Then they pretty much blew the post season with exception of 1995.

But, my favorite world series was the 2001 set between the Diamondbacks and Yankees. Those were some great games that brought back the spirit of baseball for many. It's just too bad Arizona hasn't done as well since.

Well I can't argue with being a Musial fan. But the Cardinals part... oh boy. I mean come on, I'm a Cub fan... It's cosmically unavoidable for me to absolutely hate the Cardinals with the burning passion of ten thousand suns. It's just how it is. :D

(And Musial was definitely The Man. But please don't mention Lou Brock unless you really want to twist the knife... ;))

I just thought of something worse than being a Cubs fan and working with White Sox fans.... having a boss who is a Cardinals fan.... :mad:

Here's the plan. Buy the team. Build a new stadium way outside of town. Bulldoze the old stadium. Build an airport on the site.

The Braves had thirteen straight years of being division champs until they blew it last year. The first half of most seasons would start out bad and finish good. Then they pretty much blew the post season with exception of 1995.

But, my favorite world series was the 2001 set between the Diamondbacks and Yankees. Those were some great games that brought back the spirit of baseball for many. It's just too bad Arizona hasn't done as well since.

yea that sounds familiar. I always particularly enjoyed the part where they blew it in the post season. I agree that the Yankee/Diamonback series was one of the best in recent history. I had to listen to it on the radio, delivering pizzas.

Here's the plan. Buy the team. Build a new stadium way outside of town. Bulldoze the old stadium. Build an airport on the site.

Advocating razing Wrigley -- even to make room for an airport -- is sacrilege. :mad:

I just thought of something worse than being a Cubs fan and working with White Sox fans.... having a boss who is a Cardinals fan.... :mad:

As if being a Cubs fan wasn't bad enough!? :D :D

Sorry.. I have no horse in this race -- I despise what all pro sports have become today -- but I couldn't resist the opportunity to stir the pot. :D

It is a sickness. :D

Daniel Patrick Moynihan supposedly said after the assassination of President Kennedy, "To be Irish is to know that in the end the world will break your heart." Obviously it's not anywhere near as serious a matter, but that kinda sums up how I feel about being a Cubs fan. :dunno:

:goofy: You do know there are L tracks on the block and 30 story hi-rise apartments on the lake shore just a 1/2 mile east?

It's only a square block anyway.

My buddy is the one who discovered that the Tribune had stolen a city street behind the third base line. They paid the city for as part of the deal to get more night games.

That, BTW, is another example of the camel's nose like user fees. They only wanted 18 night games a year so what's the big deal? Then they got more night games. Then they added one music concert a year. Then a couple more. :rolleyes:

:goofy: You do know there are L tracks on the block and 30 story hi-rise apartments on the lake shore just a 1/2 mile east?

It's only a square block anyway.

Yeah... And people think MDW is squeezed in there. :D

My buddy is the one who discovered that the Tribune had stolen a city street behind the third base line. They paid the city for as part of the deal to get more night games.

I was under the impression that it was a defunct railroad right-of-way... It was a street?

That, BTW, is another example of the camel's nose like user fees. They only wanted 18 night games a year so what's the big deal? Then they got more night games. Then they added one music concert a year. Then a couple more. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the City Council has to approve additional night games... And while that comes with all the obvious ethical so-ons and so-forths, it's seemed to me that Alderman Tunney has fought pretty vigorously to keep it reasonable.

That said, it has to be a major pain... Especially parking. That's a big part of the reason why I don't plan on ever living further than 2800 or so North... Close enough to make the bus ride quick, far enough to avoid the headaches (although the increase in traffic on Clark Street even all the way down here at Armitage is always pretty obvious when there's a night game.)

Sorry.. I have no horse in this race -- I despise what all pro sports have become today -- but I couldn't resist the opportunity to stir the pot. :D

we Cub fans are used to it... one of these the tide is going to turn... let's hope it's soon...

...I was under the impression that it was a defunct railroad right-of-way... It was a street?

So did the Tribune. They bought the railroad property - even that had some lawsuits since the various train lines were long gone and it wasn't clear who or what owned it - my buddy went to city hall and got the 1910-something plot showing that Seminary Avenue was always there. Ooops.
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the City Council has to approve additional night games... And while that comes with all the obvious ethical so-ons and so-forths, it's seemed to me that Alderman Tunney has fought pretty vigorously to keep it reasonable.

That said, it has to be a major pain... Especially parking. That's a big part of the reason why I don't plan on ever living further than 2800 or so North... Close enough to make the bus ride quick, far enough to avoid the headaches (although the increase in traffic on Clark Street even all the way down here at Armitage is always pretty obvious when there's a night game.)

Yeah, no way can the honorable city council be bought off, although the last election showed that voters can once in a long while express disatifaction.

I grew up living right at the Addison 'L'. Is wasn't that bad in parts of the 60's when there were games where there were more people on the field than in the stands. That was before "Wrigleyville" was invented by an apartment (not condo, then) developer.

I remember that parking for a few blocks around was tough. We didn't think there would be such a thing as permit parking. I guess that was before enough MBAs moved in and cleaned up the neighborhood with the force field aura from thier BMWs.

My apartment is 2 1/2 miles away in Roscoe Village just outside of the restricted parking area and we see folks walking to Wrigley from there.

Last edited:
So did the Tribune. They bought the railroad property - even that had some lawsuits since the various train lines were long gone and it wasn't clear who or what owned it - my buddy went to city hall and got the 1910-something plot showing that Seminary Avenue was always there. Ooops.

Ahh... Interesting. In the words of the late great Johnny Carson, "I did not know that." :D

Yeah, no way can the honorable city council be bought off, although the last election showed that voters can once in a long while express disatifaction.

Yeah, the last election was... interesting. And while I haven't lived in Chicago my whole life, I've been here long enough to get a pretty good feel for how things actually "work" in the City that Works. But Ald. Tunney has always struck me as a pretty honorable, stand-up guy. But I'm not in that Ward, so...

I grew up living right at the Addison 'L'. Is wasn't that bad in parts of the 60's when there were games where there were more people on the field than in the stands. That was before "Wrigleyville" was invented by an apartment (not condo, then) developer.

I remember that parking for a few blocks around was tough. We didn't think there would be such a thing as permit parking. I guess that was before enough MBAs moved in and cleaned up the neighborhood with the force field aura from thier BMWs.

My apartment is 2 1/2 miles away in Roscoe Vilalge just outside of the restricted parking area and we see folks walking to Wrigley from there.

I personally have never been able to figure out why anybody would drive to a Cubs game. Then again, I haven't owned a car in over 10 years, so maybe I just don't get the idea of driving period. :D

And Roscoe Village is nice... I'm vaguely considering moving up that way this fall.

Or getting to see a pitcher that can actually hit like Steve Carlton.

LEFTY LIVES!!!!!!!

Every year I try to care about baseball. Every year the length of time I actually manage to dwindles. Now I'm down to about 5 minutes after the first pitch on opening day.

Here are my suggestions for improving the game: Bring back flannel. Put a time clock on the batters - none of that stepping out of the box after every pitch crap. Make pitchers hit in both leagues. Manual scoreboards. Photographers on the field with big flashbulbs. No mascots. No domes. No astroturf. Bring back nicknames like Lefty, Three Fingers, and Pee Wee. No Barcaloungers or Playstations in locker rooms. Oh, I could go on and on.....

agreed on both counts.. but you mis-spelled the last part of the "other" Chicago baseball team.. the letter after the S is supposed to be a u... :redface:

Hopefully no fans of "that" team on the board...

Chicago has a baseball team?

Last edited:
For years people drug me out to ML games just knowing I'd love it. Atlanta, Houston, Pittsburgh, New York, San Francisco, etc... By the end of the third inning I was always ready to go. It's no better in person than it is on TV (something that's NOT true for the Indy 500).

Then somebody talked me into going to Wrigley Field. Now THAT'S a ball park!! I went back on my own three years in a row after that. Took my wife and kids more than once. Drank a few beers. Heard Sweetness sing "Take Me Out To The Ballpark" (wow, he really sucked as a singer). Saw Sammy hit one out. Drank a few beers. "Welcome to the friendly confines", have a beer.

Then, da mayah closed Meigs and I haven't been back to Chicago since. Once he's out of office I might consider going back to a Cubs game. I'm sure the beer guy will remember me. That's the only place I ever enjoyed watching baseball.

Wrigley is a magic place.

My middle school PE teacher was a Yankee Hater as a young boy. Said they would use Mickey Mantle cards as noise makers on their bicycles spokes *cringe*

Believe you me, I wish I had those Mickey Mantle cards today! :yes:

I wish I had my Mantle cards, too. Or any of my cards. I'll just have to settle for the ball in my drawer that Mickey Mantle autographed for me back in 1958 and had sent to me. Seems his uncle was a WW II Navy buddy of my dad's. :yes:

It's no better in person than it is on TV

The only ML games I've been to were: '96 WS Game 1 at ATL, ended up at Komiskey when friend and I were visiting Chi-town, STL game LOOOONG time ago - got to see Ozzie Smith do his back-flip.

Obviously the WS game was awesome and seeing Ozzie Smith is something I'll remember for a long time, but a normal 'everyday' game is boring. I much prefer paying $5 to see the I-Cubs get blown out of the water in DesMoines than paying $20 to see the multi-millionaire players of the big leagues loaf around for a few hours. Beer is usually cheaper at the minor league games, too. :D

gibbons said:
Then somebody talked me into going to Wrigley Field. Now THAT'S a ball park!! I went back on my own three years in a row after that. Took my wife and kids more than once. Drank a few beers. Heard Sweetness sing "Take Me Out To The Ballpark" (wow, he really sucked as a singer). Saw Sammy hit one out. Drank a few beers. "Welcome to the friendly confines", have a beer.

I WOULD like to see a game at Wrigley. Komiskey was underwhelming and overpriced a few years ago, but I would definitely like to make it to Wrigely before it becomes a corporate catastrophe.

The only ML games I've been to were: '96 WS Game 1 at ATL, ended up at Komiskey when friend and I were visiting Chi-town, STL game LOOOONG time ago - got to see Ozzie Smith do his back-flip.
Ozzie was one of the greats; he did it clean, no steroids. Same for Pete Rose.

Ozzie was one of the greats; he did it clean, no steroids. Same for Pete Rose.

As much as I'm obligated to hate the Cardinals, I have to agree with you on Ozzie. He was just a phenomenon.

And as far as Charlie Hustle goes, I think it's a travesty what's happened with him. Sure he bears much of the blame for it, but what he did between the lines was history-making. And now he's saying that he bet on the Reds "every game." If you ask me, that's how all managers should get paid. :D

Baseball is THE greatest sport.

x infinity!!

I am hoping the are sold to someone who wants to take them out of town, I would be willing to throw the Sox into the deal to sweeten it a bit. The only reason the Cubs have any fans at all is that the ball field is cool.

Pete Rose! Wanna Bet? LOL!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2004-01-05-rose-timeline_x.htm

"I'd be willing to bet you, if I were a betting man, that I have never bet on baseball," Rose says.
Now, I'm confused. I was talking about Rose not using steroids. Are you saying he was? :dunno:

As far as his betting, I never had a problem with that. With all the other crap players since have done and repeatedly gotten away with, I strongly feel Rose should be reinstated.

Now, I'm confused. I was talking about Rose not using steroids. Are you saying he was? :dunno:

As far as his betting, I never had a problem with that. With all the other crap players since have done and repeatedly gotten away with, I strongly feel Rose should be reinstated.
Who said anything about steroids? I was makeing (an obviously unsuccesful) joke about gambling. All the controversy I knew about Rose was regarding that! I have to admit, I'm not a real follower of sports, so take whatever I have to say on the subject with a lick of salt!

Who said anything about steroids? I was making (an obviously unsuccessful) joke about gambling. All the controversy I knew about Rose was regarding that! I have to admit, I'm not a real follower of sports, so take whatever I have to say on the subject with a lick of salt!
I'm supposed to get a joke out of that? What do you take me for? A genius with a quick sense of humor?!?!?!?!

:goofy:

I'm supposed to get a joke out of that? What do you take me for? A genius with a quick sense of humor?!?!?!?!

:goofy:
Well, going back to the "real" thread, my jokes are just as lame and hard to comprehend IRL as they are on the Internet! :) :rofl:

AMEN!

Do a ton of drugs? No problem. Drink and drive? A-OK. Beat your wife? It's alright. Beat up some fan? Ehh, sit out a couple games. Bet on your team? YOU'RE BANNED!

What a crock. He's the best contact hitter of all time (bar none) and he's not in the Hall because he bet that he'd do his job well? What a sham.

AMEN!

Do a ton of drugs? No problem. Drink and drive? A-OK. Beat your wife? It's alright. Beat up some fan? Ehh, sit out a couple games. Bet on your team? YOU'RE BANNED!

What a crock. He's the best contact hitter of all time (bar none) and he's not in the Hall because he bet that he'd do his job well? What a sham.
I thought that, because I grew up a Reds fan in Cincinnati/Dayton and came of age in the shadow of the Big Red Machine that I was the only one who felt this way.

Seems to me a professional player/coach/manager makes this bet EVERY SINGLE DAY -- just not with a bookie. And I strongly resented, for example, the chance after chance Darryl Strawberry got.

As a little league coach, I'll take a kid with Pete Rose's attitude every time over someone like, say Gary Sheffield. Give me a kid who loves to play, tries hard, and makes the best of his/her natural ability over a talented head case any day of the week.

Back