Stick it to Daley AND have some fun

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
So the Chicago Cubs are for sale. Let's put together a consortium to buy the team, and THEN threaten to move 'em out of town unless Meigs is rebuilt.

Re: Stick it to Daly AND have some fun

I dunno... I don't think I like the idea of horsing around with my precious Cubbies. But I'd be happy to be part-owner! :yes:

Besides, Daley's a Sox fan. :mad:

I dunno... I don't think I like the idea of horsing around with my precious Cubbies. But I'd be happy to be part-owner! :yes:

Besides, Daley's a Sox fan. :mad:

agreed on both counts.. but you mis-spelled the last part of the "other" Chicago baseball team.. the letter after the S is supposed to be a u... :redface:

Hopefully no fans of "that" team on the board...

Hopefully no fans of "that" team on the board...

Probably not. I think I work within about 20 feet of just about all of them. Which, as you may imagine, makes for lovely conversation this time of year.

:no:

Probably not. I think I work within about 20 feet of just about all of them. Which, as you may imagine, makes for lovely conversation this time of year.

:no:

I can only imagine.. I'm not sure which is worse though, dealing with Sox fans, or dealing with those that don't appreciate baseball because of it's lack of action... you know all the loud music during the game, and the guys who make up dunks to get on SportsCenter, and then shoot 35% from the free throw line... :D

Bill Murray is bidding...all we need to do is have Harrison Ford join in and add Meigs to the discussion.

I can only imagine.. I'm not sure which is worse though, dealing with Sox fans, or dealing with those that don't appreciate baseball because of it's lack of action... you know all the loud music during the game, and the guys who make up dunks to get on SportsCenter, and then shoot 35% from the free throw line... :D
Baseball is THE greatest sport. The pace draws out the drama until you just can't stand it anymore. "My" little league team has 5 losses so far this season, and three of them (and one of our wins) were 1-run games decided in the last inning. Who can argue with that?!?!?!? Well, besides the fact that the stress will send me to an early grave.

Oh, and just to go on the record, there IS NO WAVE in baseball.

I dont like waiting a minute and thirty four second between pitches. PLus everyone tries to hit home runs every at bad. Not often you see teams manufacture runs anymore. Give me a triple and a suicide squeeze over the long ball any day.

Bill Murray is bidding...all we need to do is have Harrison Ford join in and add Meigs to the discussion.

Man, having him and Mike Veeck running around Wrigley every day... that'd be fun. :D Personally, I'd like to see Jerry Colangelo take a stab at it. Or even better, Don Levin. Colangelo's had some pretty good success in Phoenix with the Suns and the Diamondbacks, and he's a Chicago Heights native (though he may be a Sox fan... I can't tell). But one of Don Levin's main reasons for wanting to buy the team is that, as a die-hard fan himself, he apparently can't stand the idea of a non-blue-bleeder owning the team. Can't argue with that. :D

Baseball is THE greatest sport. The pace draws out the drama until you just can't stand it anymore. "My" little league team has 5 losses so far this season, and three of them (and one of our wins) were 1-run games decided in the last inning. Who can argue with that?!?!?!? Well, besides the fact that the stress will send me to an early grave.

Amen! :yes:
Simply put, no other sport even compares! And what I wouldn't give to have my Little League days back...

"The Wave"... blech... and tack on "no designated hitter" and then we're definitely on the same page. :D

I dont like waiting a minute and thirty four second between pitches. PLus everyone tries to hit home runs every at bad. Not often you see teams manufacture runs anymore. Give me a triple and a suicide squeeze over the long ball any day.

Amen! Small-ball is baseball. I could go off on a rant about how I think the DH rule and the AL are destroying everything that's great about the game, but I won't. :D

"The Wave"... blech... and tack on "no designated hitter" and then we're definitely on the same page. :D
Oh, don't get me started on the DH. It's a travesty. While it's true that no one buys a game ticket to see pitchers bat, there's the whole strategy element of whether to, for example, lift your ace for a pinch hitter in the sixth inning when you're down by two with two in scoring position ...

Besides, I recall in the Marlins first year (my wife and I had season tix) there was a game in which Chris Hammond came in to pinch hit for another pitcher in the bottom of the 17th inning with a guy on third and two outs. All the other position players had been used. He delivered a line drive into the left field corner that would have been extra bases had the game not ended when he reached first.

Baseball is THE greatest sport.

Minor league is much better than the majors. Price is right, a lot more fun, and kids that are motivated, as opposed to the superstars that have made it. You can always tell when an overpaid major league player has been sent down on the farm for rehab.

Sure there is... ;)

The stadium features many "family friendly" amenities, including the Driscoll Children's Hospital Fun Zone, an interactive playground, the Stripes Diamond, a magnificent baseball field scaled down to youth baseball standards, a SportCourt basketball playing surface, a 27' high rock wall, a 16' tall x 22' wide video board, the APEX Pool and Spa
http://www.cchooks.com/whataburger/

Beyond the right field wall above the grass berm is a swimming pool measuring 20-feet by 50-feet, and 10-feet by 10-feet hot tub. Next to the pool is a covered picnic area.
http://www.roundrockexpress.com/default.asp?PageId=54

Oh, don't get me started on the DH. It's a travesty. While it's true that no one buys a game ticket to see pitchers bat, there's the whole strategy element of whether to, for example, lift your ace for a pinch hitter in the sixth inning when you're down by two with two in scoring position ...

Besides, I recall in the Marlins first year (my wife and I had season tix) there was a game in which Chris Hammond came in to pinch hit for another pitcher in the bottom of the 17th inning with a guy on third and two outs. All the other position players had been used. He delivered a line drive into the left field corner that would have been extra bases had the game not ended when he reached first.

Or getting to see a pitcher that can actually hit like Steve Carlton.

Minor league is much better than the majors. Price is right, a lot more fun, and kids that are motivated, as opposed to the superstars that have made it. You can always tell when an overpaid major league player has been sent down on the farm for rehab.

Here in Boston, that won't just get you chased by a mob, it's likely to get you drawn and quartered.

That said, Major League ball in Boston is something to behold. I've been to some games in my lifetime that will rival any minor league nail biter. Just superb baseball up here.

Cheers,

-Andrew
lifelong baseball nut

Or getting to see a pitcher that can actually hit like Steve Carlton.

Then there's Carlos Zambrano. A switch-hitting pitcher with a .355 slugging pct. Dude's insane. :D

It's nice to get out there and see guys who are either giving their 100% best to try to make the big league team, or who are out there just to play. Really makes you appreciate the sport itself.

I like going up to Minneapolis to Twins games occasionally. They dont get paid much more than minor leaguers so the baseball is usually good, and they are fairly competitive.

Win Twins!!!!

SEE? We just GOTTA buy the Cubs. Can we, dad? Huh, huh? Can we? Can we?

Oh, and I am partial to speed over power. Hit & run, take the extra base, challenge the catcher's arm...

Not that I hold my cleanup batter at third or anything in a game, tho!

Which is also my line of reasoning for loving college basketball and hating the NBA. I've been spending weeks getting ready to take my Dad to the Final Four and now it's over! :no: You can check out my little blog about it here:

http://the-richie-p-blog.blogspot.com/

Guess I could always go back to flyin'. Yeah, that's the ticket!!!!

That's one of the real positives that followed our move to Jacksonville. We love going to the Suns games (Dodgers AA affiliate). Great environment, you can get great seats for not a lot of coin, and you're right -- the kids do bring a spark to the game that's missing from the majors. The majors are more highlight reel stuff, but give me minor league baseball and college football over the professional versions any day.

Nah, the greatest show in sports ended last night, *sigh*. There is nothing like March Madness. :no:
Since I married a Gator I've become a big Gator fan. But even so I had a hard time staying awake for the game last night. I just can't get into hoops.

Nah, the greatest show in sports ended last night, *sigh*. There is nothing like March Madness. :no:

Yeah, but I am really sick of seeing that guy with the pony tail play on highlights all the time. My March madness ends when Villanova, my alma mater, looses.

that's what Tivo is for :)

I agree that "small ball" as they call it now is much better than the going for the 3-run HR... but as Basketball is now all about who gets the most dunks on SportsCenter, Baseball is dominated by HR's... but a triple is still much more exciting than an HR any day...

My March madness ends when Villanova, my alma mater, looses.

If I took that attitude, I'd never turn on the TV. Penn State, came in 11th in the Big Ten, hahahahaha........:dunno:

I'd pay to see Big-Z hit... you gotta love a pitcher who when asked by the announcers how he did in a game responds with "I went 1 for 3"... nice...

sure he had some issues yesterday, but I think the Cub's are going to be ok this year...

Since I married a Gator I've become a big Gator fan. But even so I had a hard time staying awake for the game last night. I just can't get into hoops.

Yeah, but what those kids did last night was special. Almost all of the starters could have gone NBA last year for big $$$'s, but instead they came back to do something beyond money. Big hearted guys, and I was happy to root for them.

If I took that attitude, I'd never turn on the TV. Penn State, came in 11th in the Big Ten, hahahahaha........:dunno:

You should have gone to a better school. :rofl:

The performance of the Braves has made Baseball somewhat depressing. But, I grew up in St. Louis and was very happy to see them go out last season with the trophy.

But, NASCAR is my favorite and always will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The performance of the Braves has made Baseball somewhat depressing. But, I grew up in St. Louis and was very happy to see them go out last season with the trophy.
Stan Musial was my boyhood hero, and I've loved the Cardinals ever since!

But, NASCAR is my favorite and always well be.
If only they would turn right once in a while.:(

AMA Superbikes...now that's racing! :yes::yes:

Yeah, Pittsburgh's reall close to Penn State. Traitor! Should have gone to Pitt instead. Oh wait what am I saying?? That's in Pitts burgh.

:)

Here in Boston, that won't just get you chased by a mob, it's likely to get you drawn and quartered.

That said, Major League ball in Boston is something to behold. I've been to some games in my lifetime that will rival any minor league nail biter. Just superb baseball up here.

Cheers,

-Andrew
lifelong baseball nut

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm a Redsox fan (C. Fisk is in the family tree)... and grandparents were in Pawtucket. And Fenway is perhaps the greatest ballfield in existance today.

There are just a number of whiney, overpaid, underperforming major league players out there these days.

Whatever happened to the Pete Roses of the world? ;)

Back