Steep Turns to the the left

RobertSubnet

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Robert
Greetings all.

Because of a medical issue I have a hard time maintaining back pressure with just my left hand when performing steep turns to the left. After dropping a couple hundred feet during one such turn my instructor, who is aware of my condition, suggested using both hands on the yoke (rather than leaving my right hand on the throttle during the steep turn). I have yet to try a steep turn to the left with both hands on the yoke but I am sure this would be "do-able" for me. My question/concern: at check ride time will the FAA DPE take points off my score (if that is the correct way to put it) for using both hands on the yoke when performing a steep turn?

FWIW: I have my 3rd class so the FAA is aware of my condition. My AME saw no range and motion issues that prevented the issuance of the medical certificate.

Thanks!

Mods: if this belongs in another forum please feel free to move it.

Um.... is it that much different than a turn to the right? Is it the bank or the back pressure giving you grief? For back pressure... Trim is your friend...

I think we are on a roll here with trim!

Trim the airplane right and you can fly a steep turn with very effort.

If you do use trim, be sure to un-trim as soon as you roll out of the turn.

Trim!

I'll also add that this is much easier in a Skyhawk than a Warrior ...I assume you're training in one of those two airplanes.

What about adding a little power?

Greetings all.

Because of a medical issue I have a hard time maintaining back pressure with just my left hand when performing steep turns to the left. After dropping a couple hundred feet during one such turn my instructor, who is aware of my condition, suggested using both hands on the yoke (rather than leaving my right hand on the throttle during the steep turn). I have yet to try a steep turn to the left with both hands on the yoke but I am sure this would be "do-able" for me. My question/concern: at check ride time will the FAA DPE take points off my score (if that is the correct way to put it) for using both hands on the yoke when performing a steep turn?

FWIW: I have my 3rd class so the FAA is aware of my condition. My AME saw no range and motion issues that prevented the issuance of the medical certificate.

Thanks!

Mods: if this belongs in another forum please feel free to move it.

I don't see no problem with using both hands. It's a manuever you are practicing. It's not like your in some situation where it's really important to have one hand on the yoke and the other on the throttle. I would think that you should practice go arounds and other manuevers that might get you in a situation where the other hand has some important stuff to do while the yoke hand is busy. And remember, trim is cool.

You mentioned using your right hand on the yoke instead of keeping it on the throttle. I've never heard of any requirement for keeping a hand on the throttle during steep turns. I have heard of adding power at the beginning of a steep turn to help maintain speed and altitude but no reason to have to keep the hand there through the turn.

That is what my instructor suggested: add about 200 rpm and use both hands. On roll-out, reduce power - which would have the benefit of getting my right hand back on the throttle after the turn.

Trim is not a bad idea either.

I have no ability to rotate my palms up, any "rotation" comes from the shoulders. During the steep left turn your left palm turns upward - something I have limited ability to do. The steeper the turn the more I lose the ability to hold the yoke with just the left hand (45 degree turns are not a problem). Using my right hand along with the left hand I think would fix the back pressure issue.

I'll also add that this is much easier in a Skyhawk than a Warrior ...I assume you're training in one of those two airplanes.

Skyhawk, a 172N

Trim. But wait until you are at about 30deg of bank to put it in.

Variation on a theme. :D

Um.... is it that much different than a turn to the right?

Depending on the airplane there can be a fair amount of difference between a left and right steep turn.

I don't see how you could do a steep turn without adding a little power? :confused:

I'm not one who uses trim in my steep turns because you have to remove it again after you roll out of the maneuver. In the OP's case I'd suggest trying it though, since it sounds like the strength to overcome the control pressures is a bit lacking.

Another suggestion, maybe fly from the right seat? That would reverse which hand/arm is the one primarily used on the control wheel.

Trim ,make it easy. If you must use two hands.

Another suggestion, maybe fly from the right seat? That would reverse which hand/arm is the one primarily used on the control wheel.

Same problem...just turning to the right. :)

Depending on the airplane there can be a fair amount of difference between a left and right steep turn.

Caused by gyroscopic precession of the propeller. Pulls the nose down in a right turn, pulls it up in a left. Need more back pressure in the right turn.

Now, if you're flying some European engine that turns the other way...

Caused by gyroscopic precession of the propeller. Pulls the nose down in a right turn, pulls it up in a left. Need more back pressure in the right turn.

Now, if you're flying some European engine that turns the other way...

Yep. I didn't really feel like getting into the details of it, but the left turning tendencies don't stop once you're airborne. :)

My old Bonanza is a great teaching tool for this. Steep turns to the left are totally different than steep turns to the right.

If you have a strength or mobility problem with just your left hand, you might want to consider flying an aircraft with a stick with the throttle and trim on the left such as a Citabria or Cub type aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have a strength or mobility problem with just your left hand, you might want to consider flying an aircraft with a stick with the throttle and trim on the left such as a Citabria or Cub type aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sure he said he has the problem on left and right. But as a stick doesn't twist(rotate) like a yoke, seems like that could work better for him.

Fly the maneuver with two hands if that's what you need to do. The deviation in altitude is a bust. Why is there any question?

That is what my instructor suggested: add about 200 rpm and use both hands. On roll-out, reduce power - which would have the benefit of getting my right hand back on the throttle after the turn.

Trim is not a bad idea either.

I have no ability to rotate my palms up, any "rotation" comes from the shoulders. During the steep left turn your left palm turns upward - something I have limited ability to do. The steeper the turn the more I lose the ability to hold the yoke with just the left hand (45 degree turns are not a problem). Using my right hand along with the left hand I think would fix the back pressure issue.

Skyhawk, a 172N

I'm confused by your 45 degree comment, isn't the steep turn 45 degrees? Maybe you're saying 45 degrees on the yoke, not the horizon.

Seems to me you'd only need both hands for a brief time while you roll in, once you're established in the turn the yoke would be more neutral, or even towards right aileron. (due to overbanking tendency at 45 right?)

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Back