Steelers v Browns

In my youth, I played both,(one year student exchange in NZ) I would beg to differ.
Having played with amateurs and professional football players, the difference is light years apart. You just arent going to have the equivalent hits at the youth level. The speed and mass just isn't there to generate it. So yeah at youth level I would expect the hits to be the same.

We solve that problem by recording all sporting contests in which we have an interest using our VCR. Zapping through the commercials opens your eyes to just how much time is wasted looking at them in real time.

My problem with recording is that I don’t have the discipline to not sneak a peek at the final score before I get to sit down with the recorded game. ;)

I continue to wonder why anybody still watches professional football or college football for that matter

Sorry, I am used to rugby. You may have heard of it. No sissy pads. No sissy helmets. No light beer commercials. Continuous play. 3 or 4 rules.

I have played in a few rugby matches in high school and played plenty of football as well. There’s no comparison to the severity of the hits. Sure you have pads on, but those pads cause guys to fly around full speed and try to hit as hard as they can. I’d liken tackles in rugby like wrecking you bike at a high rate of speed, and football like getting in a car wreck. You are less protected in the bike wreck, so you end up with lots of smaller injuries like cuts/scrapes/broken fingers. Football you end up with injuries that are deep and the speed/mass of the hits leaves you gasping for air/blurred vision. This isn’t a commentary on the “toughness” of the rugby players or football players, they’re both equally tough/physical on the field. It’s just a difference in the nature of the game, where those pads in football remove the self-preservation instincts and guys use less discretion when barreling into a tackle.

They’re both a lot of fun to play. As was mentioned, the camaraderie of the players is a great aspect of rugby that you don’t get with football. The number of rules in football make it a more complex game to understand and play, which is why positions are more specialized in football than in rugby. One can appreciate both sports equally if you’ve played both and understand the nuances.

All that said, I really don’t care about pro sports much other than seeing the elite athletes compete at the highest level. The theatrics/drama/off-field stuff is annoying and off-putting. Rugby is better in that aspect for sure.

When you pull the guys helmet off and hit him in the head with it, the guy should be banned for life. In any other situation that would be assault with a deadly weapon.
Actually, he could be charged with assault. It's rarely done, but there have been a couple of pieces written with legal opinions saying such. You have an expectation of brutality, up to a point. When the play is over, it's over.

As an impartial Browns' fan, after reviewing this video: https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1195200484547710976 it's plain that Garrett was the one with his fingers stuck in a face mask and he was only defending himself from Rudolph's attack as best he could while being held by #66 of the Steelers and while running backwards away from the conflict. And in another video, by the way, you can see it was Rudolph who fell on top of Garrett, so the usual sympathies for the quarterback aren't applicable here.

I remember when Mean Joe Green stomped repeatedly on the groin of the Browns' Bob McKay while McKay was helplessly on the ground. Greene, though, gets a nice Coke commercial that propels him to the Football Hall of Fame despite that some rank him in the top ten of NFL dirtiest players. So, Garrett, maybe your agent can ensure your enshrinement by getting you to demonstrate, say, bottle cap removals on TV for some sweet looking little kid?

Last edited:
You don't have a DVR (yet)?????

I just fast forward through the commercials and sometimes through the slower parts of the game.

How does your DVR let you fast forward through commercials and other useless commentators’ drivel in real-time? Please, tell us the secret.

I remember when Mean Joe Green stomped repeatedly on the groin of the Browns' Bob McKay while McKay was helplessly on the ground. Greene, though, gets a nice Coke commercial that propels him to the Football Hall of Fame despite that some rank him in the top ten of NFL dirtiest players. So, Garrett, maybe your agent can ensure your enshrinement by getting you to demonstrate, say, bottle cap removals on TV for some sweet looking little kid?
Don’t be trashing the only famous football player to come out of North Texas. That only leaves us with claiming Dr. Phil with where he got his doctorate. :rolleyes:

How does your DVR let you fast forward through commercials and other useless commentators’ drivel in real-time? Please, tell us the secret.
Either:

A. Record the game, and start watching it ~45-60 minutes after scheduled start time, or,
B. Watch in real time, hit "Pause" when garbage comes on, do something else for ~2 minutes (potty break, get snacks or beer, read POA, tune around and see what's happening on other channels, etc.), then go back to the game and skip past the garbage.

We do "A" mostly, and generally catch completely up by the end of the game, so we watch the finish in "B" mode.

TIVO also has a "fast" mode where they accelerate the video and downconvert the audio so things go faster, but everything still sounds OK (albeit they're talking faster). Have to let it record ahead a bit for that to work, of course.

Ron Wanttaja

No secret. See above post.

I generally do "A" as well.

As an impartial Browns' fan, after reviewing this video: https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1195200484547710976 it's plain that Garrett was the one with his fingers stuck in a face mask and he was only defending himself from Rudolph's attack as best he could while being held by #66 of the Steelers and while running backwards away from the conflict. And in another video, by the way, you can see it was Rudolph who fell on top of Garrett, so the usual sympathies for the quarterback aren't applicable here.

I have no idea what you watched, but either you didn't see the same play the rest of us did, or you are not an impartial Browns fan. Garrett wrapped up Rudolph then did not release him after the ball was thrown, and proceeded to wrestle him to the ground. The fact that Rudolph landed on top of him was just physics, not any action by Rudolph. Here's the play... tell me I'm wrong..

Sigh.... I can't get it to link properly. Watch the link on Youtube starting 59 seconds in for the play itself.
This was 100% Garrett at the outset. Yes, Rudolph could have/should have just taken it and hoped for a penalty, and yes, the Steelers linemen shouldn't have pounded and kicked Garrett while he was on the ground (or at any other point), but this was all Garrett's fault.

On an unrelated and much less argumentative note, I really like your avclicks IFR stuff... it's really helpful. Thanks.

I have no idea what you watched, but either you didn't see the same play the rest of us did, or you are not an impartial Browns fan. Garrett wrapped up Rudolph then did not release him after the ball was thrown, and proceeded to wrestle him to the ground. The fact that Rudolph landed on top of him was just physics, not any action by Rudolph. Here's the play... tell me I'm wrong..
I can only tell you what I see. I watched your link at 1/4 speed and took a screenshot. After trying to make Garrett a quadriplegic by twisting his head by the facemask, Rudolph had Garrett's helmet so far off you could see the side of Garrett's face. Then after Garrett showed him how to do it properly and was in the process of retreating, an embarrassed Rudolph attacked him and was understandably swatted with it.

Garrett victim.JPG

As for Garrett not releasing Rudolph when the ball was thrown, even in slow-motion he gets there so fast Rudolph still has the ball. I suspect he thought he still had it and was trying to cause a fumble.

Thanks for the kind words on AvClicks. I may be pulling it down soon. Yahoo hasn't been able to fix the Contact page for eons.

As for Garrett not releasing Rudolph when the ball was thrown, even in slow-motion he gets there so fast Rudolph still has the ball. I suspect he thought he still had it and was trying to cause a fumble

Yeah, looked like Garrett had his head buried in Rudolph's chest, couldn't have seen the ball thrown, and the whistle didn't end the play.

Rudolph, to me, showed at least as much poor sportsmanship as any other player involved.

Garrett should have peed in the helmet.

I was watching live, without a vested interest in either team.

I thought the hit on Rudolph was late. IMO, it should have been flagged.

Then, Garrett didn't let him up - you see that all the time, and people rarely react. But Rudolph did and pushed/shoved/yanked on Garrett's helmet.

It could have ended there with both guys getting an unsportsmanlike penalty. Even after that, when Garrett ripped off the helmet, it could have stopped. But swinging the helmet at someone's head? YGBSM.

And the Steelers' guys who jumped in? You can't let someone cheap shot your QB.

We solve that problem by recording all sporting contests in which we have an interest using our VCR. Zapping through the commercials opens your eyes to just how much time is wasted looking at them in real time.

Bob
Yes. I don't watch baseball, basketball, hockey, and football. Amazing how much time I have to waste on other things now. When I watched football, I would record the game, then FF through commercials, timeouts, huddle breaks, and instant replay reviews. If the game got out of hand, I might FF through the rest of it, or just erase it. I could watch a 3 hour clock time game in about 1-1/2 hours of my time.

The only time I might watch the other sports is when I'm on an elliptical at the gym, but usually I'll ask the staff turn the channel to something else.

To keep it relevant. The other guy was not responsible for having his helmet ripped off and beaten with it, no matter what he said. Sticks and stones, and all that, you know.

Turnabout is fair play:

No, it's not. Never is. It's just a saying from a Neanderthal time in our existence. The saying isn't "Do unto others as they do unto you," it's "Do unto other as you would HAVE them do unto you." Being wronged is not an excuse to do wrong.

Doesn't apply in this case, anyway. There is no denying that Garrett wrestled him to the ground LONG after the ball was released, was aware he was doing so, and did it anyway. Garrett was the primary source of this mess. The pic you pasted above was after that egregious foul on Garrett's part. Yes, if he was a kind, dispassionate, perfect sportsman, Rudolph would have simply lay there motionless and waited for Garrett to release him. I doubt that I could have done that, and I'm pretty sure you couldn't have either.

Rudolph chased Garrett for five yards before getting whacked
. Had he stayed put, I doubt anybody gets suspended. Since they play again it strikes me as premeditated. Probably drew it up on the white board.

How can you premeditate something contingent on Garrett late-hitting and fouling Rudolph in the first place? Garrett was suspended because he assaulted Rudolph with his helmet. Even Garrett acknowledged that he lost his mind, and was wrong to do it. Why make excuses for him? As I've said before, everyone involved could have done a LOT better, including Rudolph, but Rudolph was at least the LEAST guilty of all the parties. If he was guilty of something, it was overzealous self-defense after being wrestled to the ground for no reason. Your single snapshot in time does not tell the story.

There is no denying that Garrett wrestled him to the ground LONG after the ball was released, was aware he was doing so, and did it anyway.
Not what I see in your link:

Watch at 1/4 speed under Settings in the player at 1:01. No way Garrett could know the ball was released unless he has eyes in the back of his helmet.

"I hate that anyone even has to watch this..."

(as we show it to you over and over and over...)

So much so that I continued to watch it despite my opinions of Kapernick's "movement."

I really could not care less whether Kapernick wants to protest by taking a knee or not. I just got really tired of the people on ESPN and elsewhere jamming that issue down my throat for the last 5 years.

Back