Status of IOS 8

Yes, my wife is ready to throw her ipad in the trash, she's so frustrated with the bugs. I for one, did not appreciate being forced to view Kim Kardashian's new photos in landscape mode!

Wish I could go from 6.1.3 to 7.x but from what I've been reading, it's too late now:mad2:

And that's why it's a good reason NOT to wait forever between upgrades.

I wouldn't want to put iOS 8 on an iPad 2. I can't believe they sold those for as long as they did.

I wouldn't want to put iOS 8 on an iPad 2. I can't believe they sold those for as long as they did.

Yeah I'll keep that in mind from now on.

I can understand the concept of technology advancing, but have a problem with them locking their customers out from installing an older version on old equipment. I don't expect them to continue supporting it, I just want to install it.

I hate the damn little red circled (1) on settings screaming UPDATE ME!!! UPDATE ME!!!!!

Very difficult to battle OCD issues, but I know it's prudent to wait about 6 months or so. In the case of windows, 6 years or so.

IPad Mini Retina with 8.1.

I have a keyboard shortcut that types in thr url tags. It's "urly".

Often I type in the first three letters and get a hard freeze of Safari, and it's replicable.

8.1.1 beta is in developer's hands - let's keep fingers crossed!

I'm getting the exact same Safari "freeze as I type" issue with my iPad 3 and my iPad mini retina using iOS8. Yet strangely my iPhone 5 is stable apart from battery life seems reduced......

I wish I hadn't been so quick off the mark going from iOS7 to iOS8.......:mad:

Edit: just noticed I have a software update to download iOS8.1.1..........oh well here goes nothing ....;)

Last edited:
8.1.1 is supposed to easier on older devices also. I have an iPhone 4 that refuses to die and an iPad 2 I bought earier this year. I'm hoping it is true and my iPhone gets a little faster once I move from 7.1.1 to 8.1.1.

Jim

8.1.1 is supposed to easier on older devices also. I have an iPhone 4 that refuses to die and an iPad 2 I bought earier this year. I'm hoping it is true and my iPhone gets a little faster once I move from 7.1.1 to 8.1.1.

Jim

Where did you read this?

I have been trying to find reliable info on what is in 8.1.1 but all I can find are threads featuring mass geek speculation.

"I heard 8.1.1 will do your dishes and watch your kids"... and the like.

Everyone seems to think it is going to fix their pet bug. Taken together, you'd think 8.1.1 (and 8.1.0 before it) was going to solve every known defect. :D

I'm getting the exact same Safari "freeze as I type" issue with my iPad 3 and my iPad mini retina using iOS8.

For some reason, the freezing when typing in Safari stopped after the 8.1 update but now it resurfaced last weekend. I wonder if it is connected to memory fragmentation or any other aspect of a long-running OS. I will reboot and see if it fixes/masks the bug temporarily.

I don't think I have ever heard as many complaints about an OS update as I have about the latest one. It seems that with the iOS8, they broke one of the golden rules of any technology: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". For some reason, they felt like they needed to f*** up everything they could find, web browser, email client, app switch, cellular data, you name it. *sigh*

I hate the damn little red circled (1) on settings screaming UPDATE ME!!! UPDATE ME!!!!!

Very difficult to battle OCD issues, but I know it's prudent to wait about 6 months or so. In the case of windows, 6 years or so.

I've been looking at it since the 7 upgrade. I loaded it into iTunes on my PC for my 2, but have never installed it.

Installed 8.1.1 on iPhone 5s. So far the smoke is still inside.

Fixed the stuck-in-landscape thing. Fixed the wrong-keyboard upon opening imessage thing too.

Hafta play with it more to see if they fixed Safari's BS.

Just downloaded and installed. We'll see. Can't possibly be any worse...can it?

Don't answer that!

There's no need to wait 6 months. That's halfway through the major-upgrade cycle on iOS. I'd say wait 6 weeks max, if they haven't released another update, they probably aren't going to until the next major OS version at which point you can start the waiting game again if you'd like.

However, as redtail has found out the hard way, you can't upgrade anything except the latest version that your device supports, and IMO they always support devices for at least one major upgrade too many. Yeah, I like new features too, but speed is paramount with mobile devices.

I would highly doubt that 8.1.1 would be faster than 7.anything - It may well be faster than 8.0 on older devices, but almost certainly NOT faster than 7.anything. Major version releases tend to come with power-hungry new features.

Your iPhone 4 is old and is going to do nothing but get slower... A new iPhone would be a better idea than 8.1.1. :yes:

FWIW, I just upgraded to 8.1.1 10 minutes ago, and Safari is MUCH snappier than how it was under 8.1.0.

I'll update this if I notice any issues....

Edit to add: I have an iPad2.

Updated my iPad Mini Retina about an hour ago.

Text selection is still odd: I selected a block of text and the selection rectangle spills over.

Like this (in Safari):

15816441405_c16c3324c4_z.jpg

I had just chosen "Select All" in the text block above. One example of "wonky" text selection.

So, one bug still there.

Last edited:
MultiTouch is still intermittent.

Specifically, I do a 5 finger pinch to go to the home screen and nothing happens.

Googled it and it's a known issue. Solution is to bring down the Notification Center from the top, then hide it - that seems to "reset" MultiTouch.

Regardless, I'm disappointed in Apple with the bugginess of IOS8 in general. Hope it's not indicative of issues with all new releases going forward.

Updated my iPad Mini Retina about an hour ago.

Text selection is still odd: I selected a block of text and the selection rectangle spills over.

Like this (in Safari):

15816441405_c16c3324c4_z.jpg

I had just chosen "Select All" in the text block above. One example of "wonky" text selection.

So, one bug still there.
mine did that on 7 & 6 .... Cant blame 8 for that.

Maybe I never noticed it before.

But I know I'm having more trouble selecting and copying text.

I just now in another forum would select text to copy, but the little dialog box to "Cut/Copy/Paste..." would flash momentarily and then disappear - VERY frustrating!

I just now in another forum would select text to copy, but the little dialog box to "Cut/Copy/Paste..." would flash momentarily and then disappear - VERY frustrating!

Never happened before on mine either, Eddie, but it certainly does on 8. I'm also having the other issues you describe.

I can't see that 8.1.1 has fixed anything. Quite disappointed with the entire thing...just wish I could go back to 7 (ipad 4 here).

What's funny is that my wallpaper and apps regularly get stuck on portrait. Others report that their's gets stuck on landscape. :dunno:

Apple apparently no longer knows which way is up. :rofl:

I get those anomalies even using 6.1.3, I think it is a browser issue rather than OS.

FWIW, I just upgraded to 8.1.1 10 minutes ago, and Safari is MUCH snappier than how it was under 8.1.0.

I'll update this if I notice any issues....

Edit to add: I have an iPad2.

My experience as well. Also have an iPad2.

8.1.1 still manages to misplace the bluetooth keyboard...which is rather annoying

Hummm...I went from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 last night. When I told it to look for another update it came back telling me I had the latest update. ???

What device do you have? If 7.1.2 is the latest update, chances are you have an older device that isn't supported in iOS 8.

8.1.1 still doesn't show up as an available update.
Oh wait, I had to MANUALLY force the update. Illogical.

So you guys are saying that it didn't fix anything? Safari still freezes? Mail still shows phantom or unreadable emails? Copy/paste still FUBAR?
So what DID they fix exactly? Does anybody know?

I think we need to put pressure on crApple to fix their/our s**t because this is unacceptable. If I paid dear money for a product I can barely use, what's the point?

What's funny is that my wallpaper and apps regularly get stuck on portrait. Others report that their's gets stuck on landscape. :dunno:

Apple apparently no longer knows which way is up. :rofl:

Now that you mention it, my iPad occasionally freezes and when it switches the display is stretched and distorted before it restores.

I still wish I could go back to 7. :( My first iOS thingy and I thought they had their excrement together with their closed system and what-not. None of these bugs should be happening. My Mini Retina has SUCKED for 2+ months now since updating.

Hmmm..while reading these latest posts, I tried to highlight text to do a copy to see if I experienced similar issues (I'm on 8.1.1 now). It selected a big chunk of text, then the highlighted area started rapidly flashing. I tapped outside the selected area to cancel it, but then the screen started auto-scrolling to the top of the page. If I scrolled back down and took my finger off the screen, it scrolled itself back to the top again :eek:

It stopped when I created this post :mad2:

Working fine on mine. 8.1.1 supposedly fixes some speed issues, but it was working fine prior to that. Slowest thing I do is waiting for Foreflight to "process" individual downloads on it. Easily ten times longer than it takes to download the file on a 100 Mb/s pipe.

Hmmm..while reading these latest posts, I tried to highlight text to do a copy to see if I experienced similar issues (I'm on 8.1.1 now). It selected a big chunk of text, then the highlighted area started rapidly flashing. I tapped outside the selected area to cancel it, but then the screen started auto-scrolling to the top of the page. If I scrolled back down and took my finger off the screen, it scrolled itself back to the top again :eek:

It stopped when I created this post :mad2:

My iOS7 has done that. I attributed it to greasy screen or HTML frame coding issues but troubleshooting wasnt conclusive; my ability (or desire) to reproduce the error was low.

Installed 8.1.1 on iPad2 lastnight. Initial tests appear good. I did get a crash with one of my apps but Safari appears better. Will know more as I read and reply to posts. If i dont notice, then its doing what its supposed to.

Problem I dont get is that youre not supposed to have different errors/issues with closed source hw/sw. Since its likely not really a sw issue, its probably manufacturing variances with hardware (a different chip here and there).

Problem I dont get is that youre not supposed to have different errors/issues with closed source hw/sw. Since its likely not really a sw issue, its probably manufacturing variances with hardware (a different chip here and there).

I don't understand the premise of the first sentence. Software is software, you can either release junk or you can release good stuff. Doesn't really matter if the source is open or closed. Lots will argue that open is better because "many eyes" look at it, but that theory doesn't hold water when they're finding equal numbers of security bugs and some well over ten years old, in both types of software, open and closed.

The only thing that seems to work is proper design and testing, neither of which is much in vogue these days. Organizations that can articulate in writing exactly what a piece of software is supposed to do, and pay people to make sure it does those things, are on the decline. The new fashioned way is to think developers can handle their own testing, which hasn't ever worked.

On the last part, are you saying that Apple's hardware isn't homogenous and completely under their control? Because that's one of the reasons Apple has typically done better than a company that has to code stuff to handle other's hardware.

???

I'm getting the exact same Safari "freeze as I type" issue with my iPad 3 and my iPad mini retina using iOS8. Yet strangely my iPhone 5 is stable apart from battery life seems reduced......

I wish I hadn't been so quick off the mark going from iOS7 to iOS8.......:mad:

Edit: just noticed I have a software update to download iOS8.1.1..........oh well here goes nothing ....;)

Well I'm happy to report that since updating from 8.0 to 8.1.1 I have not experienced any further screen or keyboard freeze while using Safari......long may it continue ;)

On the last part, are you saying that Apple's hardware isn't homogenous and completely under their control? Because that's one of the reasons Apple has typically done better than a company that has to code stuff to handle other's hardware.

???
:yeahthat:

The variances observed between otherwise identical hardware and allegedly identical OS and application software are due to the variances in installed and running app. Different installed apps will cause differences in competition for scarce RAM and CPU resources.

iOS is a derivative of BSD Unix. It looks like that much of the problem is due to how it handles (or mishandles) demands for RAM that can't be satisfied. Traditionally, when a Unix process (app) needed more memory and there wasn't enough available, the memory image of one of the idle processes would get temporarily copied to the hard disk (called the swap area or backing store.) But because Apple tries to limit the number of writes it makes to flash memory, iOS doesn't support backing store. If one app needs memory, iOS will request other running apps to free some of their memory up. If not enough memory is available that way, it starts to kill processes, go through their pockets for loose change and memory, and handing it over to the process that asked for memory.

More details here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemory/Articles/AboutMemory.html

Edit: Bottom line is when comparing mobile devices that use flash memory for persistent storage is to favor those with the largest amount of RAM.

Last edited:
Back