Status of IOS 8

My iOS7 has done that. I attributed it to greasy screen or HTML frame coding issues but troubleshooting wasnt conclusive; my ability (or desire) to reproduce the error was low.

Greasy screens definitely cause a those errors frequently. Eating a buttery bagel in the car on my way to work in the morning really messes up my phone. :rofl:

However, it's easy to wipe off and the problems disappear...

Just backed up my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S to my Seagate external hard drive via iTunes. So I guess it's time to bite the bullet,lol.

I'll start with the iPad.

Question:
I see iTunes has a "restore iPad/iPhone" function in addition to a "restore backup". Does that mean that if I'm not happy with 8.1.1, I can "restore" the device back to 6.1.3 ?:dunno:

Edit: My primary use is Safari, email and WingX Pro. I'm more of a PC man, these are my only apple products (and an old iPod with music on it:))

Last edited:
Just backed up my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S to my Seagate external hard drive via iTunes. So I guess it's time to bite the bullet,lol.

Question:
I see iTunes has a "restore iPad/iPhone" function in addition to a "restore backup". Does that mean that if I'm not happy with 8.1.1, I can "restore" the device back to 6.1.3 ?:dunno:
:popcorn:
Certain iPhone5 owners would like to know.

Question:

IIRC, I don't believe it restores the OS. It restores the data but the iOS version remains whatever is currently on the device.

I restored an older backup to a device running a newer iOS and the version of iOS didn't change as I recall.

There are some articles out there on how to downgrade iOS but I don't believe that restore from backup does it.

So after 24 hours of having 8.1.1 on the myPad, it seems that it did not fix a single thing, instead if royally f***ed up email again (no new email notifications) and broke the search in the AppStore.
Good job, crApple! Yet another pointless update that didn't fix a single bug (from the users' point of view).
What is the 800 number to call to ask them to FIX their s**t so that we can actually USE it?
Argh! Frustration sets in .... I give up.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

IIRC, I don't believe it restores the OS. It restores the data but the iOS version remains whatever is currently on the device.

I restored an older backup to a device running a newer iOS and the version of iOS didn't change as I recall.

There are some articles out there on how to downgrade iOS but I don't believe that restore from backup does it.

Ok thanks. That sucks:eek:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:rofl: That's what I'm saying so far! I've been playing with it for a few hours now and the most noticeable issue is the LAGGGGG. :hairraise: Holy crap, 6.1.3 was much smoother.

I don't think I'll be upgrading downgrading my 4S yet:no:

:popcorn:
Certain iPhone5 owners would like to know.

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
After reading the summary of opinion on IOS 8 thru tonight, I'm keeping my iPhone 5 and iPad 2 with IOS 7.xx? and FF 6.x.y. There has certainly been lesser performance since the uproar over IOS 8 began ....... Maybe due to changes in FF. A lot of the slowdown I'm seeing though, has more of the characteristics of memory unavability of memory resources. I'm just sitting with what I have for the moment. Hope some of the difficulties are getting through to Apple.

The variances observed between otherwise identical hardware and allegedly identical OS and application software are due to the variances in installed and running app. Different installed apps will cause differences in competition for scarce RAM and CPU resources.

iOS is a derivative of BSD Unix. It looks like that much of the problem is due to how it handles (or mishandles) demands for RAM that can't be satisfied. Traditionally, when a Unix process (app) needed more memory and there wasn't enough available, the memory image of one of the idle processes would get temporarily copied to the hard disk (called the swap area or backing store.) But because Apple tries to limit the number of writes it makes to flash memory, iOS doesn't support backing store. If one app needs memory, iOS will request other running apps to free some of their memory up. If not enough memory is available that way, it starts to kill processes, go through their pockets for loose change and memory, and handing it over to the process that asked for memory.

More details here:

https://developer.apple.com/library...tual/ManagingMemory/Articles/AboutMemory.html

Edit: Bottom line is when comparing mobile devices that use flash memory for persistent storage is to favor those with the largest amount of RAM.

No such thing as a background running App. Kent says so. ;-) (Long debate about that some time ago. I kill unused Apps the old fashioned way. Kent says it's never necessary. Article seems to lean my way. :) )

No such thing as a background running App. Kent says so. ;-) (Long debate about that some time ago. I kill unused Apps the old fashioned way. Kent says it's never necessary. Article seems to lean my way. :) )

I never said things don't run in the background - Just that entire apps don't run in the background like they do on a computer. There is/was a very limited set of tasks that they could do in the background (audio, location, etc... It was 7 main things). In iOS 8, they've loosened things up a LOT in terms of background tasks.

I haven't seen any earth shattering problems in my 5s going from 8.0 to 8.1 to 8.1.1. (I skipped 8.0.1 and 8.0.2) and it seems to have a fixed a few things. It no longer gets stuck in landscape and the iMessage now pops up with the correct keyboard (SwiftKey in my case). It used to pop with the default apple keyboard.

On that note, I will say that the ability to use SwiftKey has been the single greatest addition to the iPhone. I can't tell you how much I hated typing on the iPhone. I don't hate it any longer. SwiftKey (or Swype) isn't perfect but it is FAR better than the old keyboard. It is actually faster even than my old Blackberry with physical keyboard. I (and I bet you) use your keyboard a LOT, so having a better keyboard makes an enormous difference.

FWIW, I have 8.1.1 running on three older iPads (an iPad 2, 4, and older Ipad Mini). I have run ForeFlight and WingX on the iPad 4 with no trouble but I haven't exactly tested it thoroughly yet. My kids haven't squawked about the apps they use (mainly Netflix).

I have not yet installed 8.1.1 on my primary device, a 128 GB iPad Air 2 - it is still on 8.1.0 and FF works fine on it.

Last edited:
Installed 8.1.1 on iPad2 lastnight. Initial tests appear good. I did get a crash with one of my apps but Safari appears better. Will know more as I read and reply to posts. If i dont notice, then its doing what its supposed to.

I haven't been complaining about my iPad since installing. I'm one step closer to thinking about, maybe contemplating, getting ready to, plan to perhaps install 8.1.1 on my iPhone5.

My fin foil hat self wonders if all this trouble wasn't a conspiracy to get folks who were warm and happy with their iPhone 3's and 4's to spend money on 6's.

My fin foil hat self wonders if all this trouble wasn't a conspiracy to get folks who were warm and happy with their iPhone 3's and 4's to spend money on 6's.

I thought that too, considering that I discovered battery issues right around the time of the release of iOS8. About a week ago, I found the apple support site regarding faulty iPhone5 batteries. I put in my serial number and BAM!- I have one of affected devices. I made an appointment at the genius bar and got a new battery. I have mixed emotions on the "need" to buy a new iPhone right now. Maybe, I'll just wait for the iPhone7 Grand Negus, which will be out next week.:D

Been on 8.1.1 on all three devices since the day it dropped. Works fine here. (Shrug...)

Back