Status of IOS 8

Edgefly

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Edgefly
There have been many inputs re: whether or not IOS 8 has been sufficiently debugged so that it can be used reliably. ( I.e. Vs. wait a while until it has been improved enough to use for everyday use especially for EFB's). I'm still waiting, what does this board of experts think ?

I have refrained from upgrading, though my wife has on her 5c with no issues.

I believe a new update (8.1) is coming out Thursday with the new iPad announcements.

Last edited:
Based on your input alone, and the fact that I may fly Thursday, I think I'll wait until then at least. I've seen some heated comments by Foreflight users but have also seen a comment by another "waiter" on another board that his wife had no problem with her iPhone 5 & IOS 8. I'm surprised that no others had a comment on this yet.

I upgraded my iPhone 4s and it has not worked properly since. Text messaging gets stuck, it kicks me out of apps (even Settings sometimes) and a few days ago the e-mail app was non-responsive for well over three hours.

Holding off on upgrading my iPad until I get the iPhone to work properly again.

I updated my iPad2 this weekend using 8.0.2 and Safari freezes. I also get Mail freezes.

I'm refraining from updating my iPhone5

I have updated my iPhone5, iPad3, and Retina Mini to 8.0.2 with very few issues.

There was some excessive battery usage, but that was traced to the iOS being installed with a few settings set to on that I had previously turned off. Finding those and switching them back off has solved the battery drain issue.

There have been a few unexpected crashes in some apps, but this is getting fewer as updates are released.

I avoid Safari and the iOS mail client, preferring Chrome and Gmail.

I have had issues, bluetooth issues, soft crashes and more frequent app crashes. IOS8 doesnt gain you much, so I would hold out and not upgrade unless there is something pressing.

Have stratus 2 and fore flight ,have flown with the update,twice with no problems.

Of all the Apple upgrades this one was by far the worst. It's almost like they hired Microsoft people or something. It's constantly freezing up and kicking me out of apps.

It has crippled my Mini Retina... wifi works sporadically, but never for very long or as fast as it used to be. My first go with Apple and I'm quite ****ed, especially since they took away the ability to revert back to 7.1.2 very quickly before I made the decision to do so.

I managed to restore my iPhone 5s to 7.1.2 after having severe battery drain on 8.0, just managed to do that hours before Apple stopped signing 7.1.2.

It will be a cold day in hell before I let 8.x anywhere near either of my iPads.

The latest version is benchmarking slower than 7. I made the mistake of upgrading my iPad 2 to 8.0.2 yesterday. It is definitely more sluggish. Looks to me like a classic case of software bloat both in memory consumption and CPU requirements. I'd hazard a guess that the problems people are seeing might be due to memory resource starvation. I haven't tried it yet, but perhaps deliberately shutting down apps that idle in the background might help.

I just did some searching on iOS 8.1 and it seems like either an 8.0.3 or 8.1 might drop very soon in conjunction with the new versions likely getting announced tomorrow. I'll grab whatever that update is ASAP b/c it can't be worse than 8.02. I still wish I had 7.1.2 and I wouldn't touch 8.X either if you're still on 7.

And just for losing a few weeks of functionality after the update: ,|,, APPLE

Just for future reference...

...if one cannot articulate a very good reason to upgrade early on, just don't.

It's not like your device does any less than it did before!

You will USUALLY get the highest reliability running software on the hardware that it was designed to run on. Updating is risky. Only update if there is some compelling reason. Short version, If it isnt broken, dont fix it.

Have stratus 2 and fore flight ,have flown with the update,twice with no problems.

I've had the opposite experience. No stratus, but ForeFlight and the latest iOS running on an iPad 4.

I've had numerous ForeFlight crashes and I had never had ForeFlight crash in the four years I'd been using it. And I ALWAYS close all programs and reboot my iPad before flying with it.

Safari is also extremely buggy and locks up.

Other aps regularly crash also.

I'm certainly hoping the next update gets things at least semi back to normal. I'm completely regretting updating and even thinking about going back to paper if the next update doesn't significantly increase reliability because I've lost all confidence in it. It used to be rock solid. No more.

I (foolishly) thought paying the premium price for Apple meant that charlie-foxtrots like this wouldn't happen. Now I know better.

I (foolishly) thought paying the premium price for Apple meant that charlie-foxtrots like this wouldn't happen. Now I know better.

<chuckle> and I just got a Dell Win8 tablet for use at work
(need it to run inventory software so I can input parts from cars out in the field versus marking paper then keying in the data from said paper)

<chuckle> and I just got a Dell Win8 tablet for use at work
(need it to run inventory software so I can input parts from cars out in the field versus marking paper then keying in the data from said paper)

:D I already know better re: MS updates.

Haven't updated, fltplan even recommends not to. Frankly aside from the encryption there aren't any features that I desire in that IOS, but sure as heck is going to strain my system more.

I used my ipad for work, so I'm not messing with it.

Just for one more data point, I upgraded my 4S and iPad (the 3rd one, with retina). I'm a developer so generally upgrade everything the day it comes out.

I haven't had any problems. :dunno:

I also haven't used FF in flight since, but have played around with it, and no crashes or other issues.

I updated my IPad and IPhone 5, the iPad has been fine. The phone locked up, and I couldn't get it to turn off or reset! One of my guys at work finally got it to reset and it works OK now, occasionally the screen doesn't rotate when the when the phone is rotated. :dunno:

Of all the Apple upgrades this one was by far the worst. It's almost like they hired Microsoft people or something. It's constantly freezing up and kicking me out of apps.

I have the same issues. Pages are constantly being reloaded. Never saw this before on my iPad.

I've updated my iPod Touch 5 and iPhone 5S to 8.0.2. The phone is actually doing better on battery life now than before. (Probably some settings or apps that I haven't checked.) The iPod seems to be fine even with WingX Pro, but all I've done so far is update charts and play with it. I'm not moving my iPad mini or iPad 2 for a while longer.

John

iPad 3 & Foreflight with Stratus I. Running iOS8 since it was available, including an instrument approach in IMC.

The only issues I've seen have involved Safari crashing and that seems to have stopped.

I've updated my iPod Touch 5 and iPhone 5S to 8.0.2. The phone is actually doing better on battery life now than before. (Probably some settings or apps that I haven't checked.) The iPod seems to be fine even with WingX Pro, but all I've done so far is update charts and play with it. I'm not moving my iPad mini or iPad 2 for a while longer.

John

Speaking of WingX Pro and the iPad 2. The last time I upgraded (to iOS 6.1.3) was because WingX required it in order to work properly. I've rebelled against further upgrades ever since but I think I'll have to bite the bullet soon.
Sure hope 8.1.1 irons out a lot of the performnace bugs I've been reading about! I LOVE WingX Pro:yes:

http://hiltonsoftware.com/
"If you have an iPad 2 or iPhone 4:
Wait for iOS 8.1.1"

Last edited:
Wait for iOS 8.1.1"
I'm waiting....and will update to 8.1.1 as soon as it releases. I figure it can't be worse that what I have.

iOS7 was good on iPAD2 and I'm wishing I could go back.

My i5 phone is still on iOS7 and I'm not upgrading until I'm sure iOS8 will work fine on it.

I put ios 8 on my 4s and wish I hadn't, but it seems fine on my mini2.

8.1 still sucks on my Mini Retina, but at least it stays connected to wifi now. It is very slow compared to 7.

iPhone 5S (8.1): The stuck-in-landscape bug is the main problem. Also iMessage defaults to the old iPhone keyboard still. Both of these would fall into the "minor nuisance" category for me. I skipped 8.0.1 and 8.0.2.

iPad Air 2 (8.1): Freezes - mainly in Safari but that's the app I use most. It happens elsewhere too. Not crashes, necessarily, just freezes. ForeFlight has worked fine on it, although I haven't flown with it yet.

I will say that iOS 7 was a smoother transition than 8. iOS 8 has been terrible with far more noticeable bugs. On the margins Apple is driving people to Droid with all these problems.

IPad Mini Retina with 8.1.

I have a keyboard shortcut that types in thr url tags. It's "urly".

Often I type in the first three letters and get a hard freeze of Safari, and it's replicable.

Yet it did not do it just now. Weird.

Text selection and cursor placement seem a bit wonky.

Not thrilled with the new tab behavior in Safari, but assume I'll get used to it.

Oh, if your Multitouch gestures stop working, pull down and then hide the Notification Center, and that should bring them back.

8.1.1 beta is in developer's hands - let's keep fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I'm waiting....and will update to 8.1.1 as soon as it releases. I figure it can't be worse that what I have.

iOS7 was good on iPAD2 and I'm wishing I could go back.

My i5 phone is still on iOS7 and I'm not upgrading until I'm sure iOS8 will work fine on it.

Wish I could go from 6.1.3 to 7.x but from what I've been reading, it's too late now:mad2:

Looks like iOS 8 will be my only option before this iPad becomes obsolete.

From what I've read here, I'm glad I have held off on the iOS 8 "upgrade" for my iPad 4. Just gonna stick with iOS 7 till they get the bugs out of 8.

Mike

Back