Static Display “do not touch” sign ideas

A friend of mine also has a polished 'coupe that he displays. Last year at our fly-in, I had to tell kids and adults not to touch his plane that was roped off. The problem is no respect....Rodney Dangerfield :)

Hire Tyler Perry to dress as Madea and stand guard for you...problem solved :)

You could try a sign like:
"Covid-19 survives well on metal surfaces. Please help us to stop the spread and don't touch this airplane. We are all in this together"
:):):)

A charged magneto or Tesla coil, attached to the plane parked on a good ground.
They will only touch it once.

Perhaps ... but when I was a young fella many of us made "shock boxes" and took them to school. I'd bet once the word got around that, "that airplane will shock you if you touch it," the kids would overwhelm the plane. Of course if you upped the juice enough to make them not do it twice then the attorneys would start coming around.

PS: Don't misunderstand ... I do like the idea! :biggrin:

I can sympathize with the OP, having staged a polished plane at various events. At the very first public event I learned the hard way about giving people access. If you let anyone sit in your plane a line will instantly form.
View attachment 105932
Some youngsters are great and it's fun to share with them. Others are varmints who compulsively grab knobs and yank the stick. I pull those kids out immediately and hand them back to their parents.

Flash forward a few years I had the plane at a big event and allowed various adults to sit in it. Later I found canopy side glass sections unlatched (would have blown out in flight), master switch on, etc. You can't see it in the picture above but the front side of the prop was highly polished and impossible to touch without leaving prints. Even with the hang tag telling people in bold red letters not to touch the prop, I watched a guy reaching out to touch it and his 12 year old daughter yelling at him for doing so.

I still want people to be curious and get to see the plane up close but I'm a lot less friendly about it than I used to be.

Edit: I intended to share horror stories told by my uncle. People using the horizontal stabilizer as a baby changing table and a kid doing pull ups on the pitot tube are a good source of amusement.

yeppp, the first airshow I went to I let one kid to sit in it and the line formed... I just told them no more after several kids... an hour later I eventually walked away to check out the other aircraft and noticed several parents helping there kids into my airplane! One kid even yanked the pull starter, luckily all the power was off! Never again have I allowed anyone to sit in it during a show.

One of my favorite electric fence stories comes from Bryan Turner…

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/it-could-have-happened-to-anyone.97414

Probably a common mistake. They were in the same drawer. It was dark. I reached in and grabbed the "headlamp" and went outside to look at a broken sprinkler head.

Then it happened...
I crossed the invisible fence.

There was pain, a bright light, and I saw a lot of my dead relatives telling me to go back it's not my time.

Hmmm...maybe park next to a shinier, more interesting aircraft?

You could try a sign like:
"Covid-19 survives well on metal surfaces. Please help us to stop the spread and don't touch this airplane. We are all in this together"
:):):)
Change 'Covid-19' to 'Ebola' and note that the plane has just flown in from a hot zone.

I saw one at a fly in that I thought I might copy one day.

It was a yellow cardboard sign, taped conspicuously to either side of the fuselage above the wing-walk that said, "Your entertainment is NOT worth my safety: PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH ANY PART OF THIS AIRCRAFT!!!"

I've found this to be the best warning sign to stay back and not touch.
View attachment 105926

Was on Navy VR flight that diverted to Tinker once. We were delayed for a couple of hours. So, all the self-loading baggage was cleared to leave the immediate area in search of a chow hall while we waited for a fix. You'd think active duty military aviation types would understand the significance of the red and white markings on the ramps and the presence of armed sentries. But, we still had knuckleheads proned out on the ground by the hard hats. Some people just are completely unaware, despite your best efforts.

I didn't read all the comments for this, but at a local car show was this sign: Paint is infused with cancer cells. No warning not to touch, just that.

This "Use of Deadly Force Authorized" sign seen at Oshkosh might work!
52002459703_9a335b1fee_c.jpg

The slightest miscue in installation could make you avionics shop very happy.

Got all you all beat. Have been to 4 fly ins mostly regional. On 3 of the 4 either I or my buddy would catch some jackhole holding his 3 year old kids hand as they ran the length of my wing. As suggested, I don't do fly-ins anymore ... all occurred with my previous Tiger so not like it's a super show attracter ...

well then, way to put the Ercoupe down there bud.

Truth be told I was parked right next to a polished P-51 mustang, yet somehow the Ercoupe drawled the largest crowd...:dunno:

ah. So you’re saying they parked next to you? The cost of being awesome?

well then, way to put the Ercoupe down there bud.

Truth be told I was parked right next to a polished P-51 mustang, yet somehow the Ercoupe drawled the largest crowd...:dunno:

Because the P-51 had land mines around it.

Back