Starting Pilot Training, Havent applied for Med yet (2 DUI 10 years ago)

HawaiiClouds

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Charles Burton
Aloha all,
Sorry in advance if this is a repeat question, I honestly spent some time searching but didnt see any answers.
- I have 2 dui's from 10 and 13 years ago.
I have finally obtained the means to train as a pilot. Knowing that it (DUI) will need to be disclosed, this wont hinder me from FAA med right?
Have any of you gone through this, and if so whats the best route to take?

I appreciate it in advance

I'm not an expert but every personal experience I've read in this forum suggests you will not be able to get a medical without going through the HIMS program which will involve time and expense as well as ongoing monitoring (i.e., drug and/or alcohol testing).

TL;DR version of the linked posts: HIMS, Provable (COMPLETE) Abstinence.

Aloha all,
Sorry in advance if this is a repeat question, I honestly spent some time searching but didnt see any answers.
- I have 2 dui's from 10 and 13 years ago.
I have finally obtained the means to train as a pilot. Knowing that it (DUI) will need to be disclosed, this wont hinder me from FAA med right?
Have any of you gone through this, and if so whats the best route to take?

I appreciate it in advance

Respectfully, if you were able to find this forum you pprbably have the means to use goggle right? If you have access to a search engine, why are you asking if two DUIs will affect your medical? Certainly you have access to that information?

Let us know when you have a more specific question.

Um, yeah. You have a lot of work ahead of you. Best case is you stopped drinking after the second dwi. Lots of threads here on this subject. I wouldn’t start lessons yet.

10 years or 10,000 years of not drinking. Doesn’t matter to the FAA. Proven sobriety on their terms is all they will accept.

Oh my. There's so much information on this board I'm not going to type out yet another answer. At very least it's 6 months of provable sobriety and then a HIMS Psychiatry evaluation.

Any use of alcohol after two DUIs is considered alcohol dependency and send you to formal rehab....unless you don't mind taking the bus.

Back